US Politics

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is appalling. This subjectivity is so demoralizing.

What’s so short sighted is that the tables can turn immediately once a Dem governor gets elected. I could see Georgia state Dems using it to their absolute advantage once a Dem governor is installed.
Speaking of elections. I found my new favorite gerrymandered state. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Louisiana:

Only Republicans would be cool with squeezing NoLa AND Baton Rouge into one district.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...ement-trumps-controversial-1776-report-in-its

Members of SC’s legislature and our State Superintendent of Education want us to teach “patriotic history” based on the Trump admin’s 1776 Report... aka... teach GOP jingoism as fact.
So, the more intellectual students would be able to take AP courses, etc. to hopefully remove the stain of a flawed curriculum like this, but the lesser intelligent students would be free to regard it as factual?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...ement-trumps-controversial-1776-report-in-its

Members of SC’s legislature and our State Superintendent of Education want us to teach “patriotic history” based on the Trump admin’s 1776 Report... aka... teach GOP jingoism as fact.
So by want do you mean "recommend" or "mandate"?

We almost got the same thing up here. Last week was an election for State superintendent that pitted a progressive lifelong educator against someone endorsed by de Vos and Scott Walker. Luckily the former won.

Carolina Red

Staff
So, the more intellectual students would be able to take AP courses, etc. to hopefully remove the stain of a flawed curriculum like this, but the lesser intelligent students would be free to regard it as factual?
The push is for 30 hours of instruction in it to be included in all social studies classes, on top of the normal curriculum.

Carolina Red

Staff
So by want do you mean "recommend" or "mandate"?

We almost got the same thing up here. Last week was an election for State superintendent that pitted a progressive lifelong educator against someone endorsed by de Vos and Scott Walker. Luckily the former won.
They’re pushing to pass a bill making it part of state standards.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They’re pushing to pass a bill making it part of state standards.
How much freedom do you have to incorporate counterpoints? My experience was teaching in a private school, so I could pretty much do whatever I wanted as long as my department chair signed off on my lesson plan.

Precaution

Speaking of elections. I found my new favorite gerrymandered state. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Louisiana:

Only Republicans would be cool with squeezing NoLa AND Baton Rouge into one district.

I live here, the red above Nola itself (section 1) the "Northshore" which is actually very liberal Trump hating and Democrat heavy (well least very R hating) but somehow we end up voting for Republicans over + over and I've yet to see a majority of those kinda people, we even have a Democratic Guvner who actually did okay with Covid restrictions and now the only southern state with a mask mandate in place.

Carolina Red

Staff
How much freedom do you have to incorporate counterpoints? My experience was teaching in a private school, so I could pretty much do whatever I wanted as long as my department chair signed off on my lesson plan.
They’re literally wanting us to teach it for the purpose of “patriotic history education”. They want it to be propagandized.

Case in point, the 1776 Report found fault in how Founding Fathers are currently taught as being hypocritical in their views on inalienable rights due to their support of the system of slavery.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I live here, the red above Nola itself (section 1) the "Northshore" which is actually very liberal Trump hating and Democrat heavy (well least very R hating) but somehow we end up voting for Republicans over + over and I've yet to see a majority of those kinda people, we even have a Democratic Guvner who actually did okay with Covid restrictions and now the only southern state with a mask mandate in place.
Louisiana is a weird place man. I think we may have chatted on this previously, but doing business there was insanely difficult since your system of laws is different than the rest of the states. Whenever we drew up contracts it was a huge battle over what state had jurisdiction since the LA companies wanted LA and we wanted WI/DE/NY. You are in the same situation politically we are here in WI. The state votes 55-58% Dem on statewide elections, but the state legislature is 60%+ Repub. The state, and federal districts, are so gerrymandered it would make you laugh if you weren't already crying. Do you think the red 6 (which I am guessing is yours) is due to shenanigans or just a well gerrymandered district? I have driven the NoLa to BR route many a time and there is nothing there, so I have no idea where the population is coming from for that district other than those northern suburbs. Is Slidell in 2 or 6?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They’re literally wanting us to teach it for the purpose of “patriotic history education”. They want it to be propagandized.

Case in point, the 1776 Report found fault in how Founding Fathers are currently taught as being hypocritical in their views on inalienable rights due to their support of the system of slavery.
Wait, so they want you to hide the fact they almost all owned slaves?

Precaution

Louisiana is a weird place man. I think we may have chatted on this previously, but doing business there was insanely difficult since your system of laws is different than the rest of the states. Whenever we drew up contracts it was a huge battle over what state had jurisdiction since the LA companies wanted LA and we wanted WI/DE/NY. You are in the same situation politically we are here in WI. The state votes 55-58% Dem on statewide elections, but the state legislature is 60%+ Repub. The state, and federal districts, are so gerrymandered it would make you laugh if you weren't already crying. Do you think the red 6 (which I am guessing is yours) is due to shenanigans or just a well gerrymandered district? I have driven the NoLa to BR route many a time and there is nothing there, so I have no idea where the population is coming from for that district other than those northern suburbs. Is Slidell in 2 or 6?
Haha yeah we have, however actually weirdly enough looking closely, I just fall into Zone 5 and that my friend is definitely well gerrymandered as we have nothing in common with the guys to the north east which is more "redneck" country, Slidell is Zone 1 but it's literally a 35 minute drive from me and again it's a very liberal place. Baton Rouge is LSU county which I assume is the blue spot on the map which incorporates into New Orleans, if you look at our senators we have Bill Cassidy and our attorney general is a frigging R tool and even worse before Bel Edwards (Gov'ner) there was Bobby Jindall who was a typical R and cozied upto the oil companies and pocketed the money.

Carolina Red

Staff
Wait, so they want you to hide the fact they almost all owned slaves?
The report claims that the hypocrisy isn’t factual...

The 1776 Report claims the “most common charge” leveled against the nation’s founders is that they were “hypocrites who didn’t believe in their stated principles” because they allowed slavery to continue in the U.S. Constitution.
“This charge is untrue,” the report claims, adding it “has done enormous damage, especially in recent years, with a devastating effect on our civic unity and social fabric.”
https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/04/01/sc-lawmakers-may-use-trumps-report-shape-us-history-curriculum/

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Haha yeah we have, however actually weirdly enough looking closely, I just fall into Zone 5 and that my friend is definitely well gerrymandered as we have nothing in common with the guys to the north east which is more "redneck" country, Slidell is Zone 1 but it's literally a 35 minute drive from me and again it's a very liberal place. Baton Rouge is LSU county which I assume is the blue spot on the map which incorporates into New Orleans, if you look at our senators we have Bill Cassidy and our attorney general is a frigging R tool and even worse before Bel Edwards (Gov'ner) there was Bobby Jindall who was a typical R and cozied upto the oil companies and pocketed the money.
Yeah, very similar to how AL drew its map to make sure all the places where a lot of black people lived "somehow" made it into a single district.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The report claims that the hypocrisy isn’t factual...

The 1776 Report claims the “most common charge” leveled against the nation’s founders is that they were “hypocrites who didn’t believe in their stated principles” because they allowed slavery to continue in the U.S. Constitution.
“This charge is untrue,” the report claims, adding it “has done enormous damage, especially in recent years, with a devastating effect on our civic unity and social fabric.”
https://www.wmbfnews.com/2021/04/01/sc-lawmakers-may-use-trumps-report-shape-us-history-curriculum/
I have read this 5 times now and I still can't wrap my head around that argument. Even Orwell would have rejected that for 1984 as being too absurd for his dystopia.

Carolina Red

Staff
The actual text of the bill stating what they want us to teach...

"(D) A school district, starting in the sixth grade and continuing through the twelfth grade, annually shall provide instruction in United States foundational history, as defined in this subsection, for a minimum of thirty hours of classroom instruction. This annual instruction in United States foundational history must be divided into four sections with each section consisting of no less than five hours of classroom instruction time, allocated as follows:

(1) The first section shall examine both the events leading up to the War for Independence and its causes and include, but not be limited to, the French and Indian War; the life of young George Washington, including the Native American legend of his divine protection; American resistance to increased British regulation and taxation; debates between colonists and the British government about the authority of Parliament to make laws for and impose taxes on the colonists; the military occupation of Boston and the Boston Massacre, including Crispus Attucks, the Boston Tea Party, the Intolerable Acts, and the preparation of the colonists for armed conflict; Patrick Henry's 'Liberty or Death' speech; and the Continental Congress;

(2) The second section shall examine the War for Independence including, but not limited to, the Battles of Lexington and Concord; the Siege of Boston and the Battle of Bunker Hill; the defense of Fort Sullivan, including the importance of Carolina Day; the loss of New York City; the victories at Trenton and Princeton; the victory at Saratoga; the training and reorganization of the army at Valley Forge; the French alliance; the Battle of Monmouth; successful American resistance to British efforts to crush the Revolution in the South, including the sieges of Savannah and Charleston, Battle of Camden, Battle of King's Mountain, the campaign of Francis Marion, contributions of African American soldiers, the Yorktown campaign, the disbanding of the Continental Army, the Treaty of Peace, and Washington's resignation;

(3) The third section shall examine America's political philosophy including, but not limited to, the influence of John Locke on the founders; the concept of God-given rights; Thomas Jefferson and the drafting of the Declaration of Independence; Thomas Paine's 'Common Sense'; the arguments for and against independence in Congress; the vote on independence; the creation of American republics, including the nature of republics, the idea of sovereignty and the sovereignty of the people, the first state constitutions, and the Articles of Confederation as a cooperative compact between independent republics; the implementation of republican ideals in law, including the protection of natural and civil rights, exemplified by the Virginia Bill of Rights, the emergence of antislavery sentiment, exemplified by the Pennsylvania Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery, the spread of religious liberty, exemplified by the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom, and expanded opportunities for personal independence through land ownership, exemplified by the Northwest Ordinance; the framing and implementation of the United States Constitution, including Shays' Rebellion, the problem of the public debt, the Federal Convention, the ratification of the United States Constitution, including the debates between the Federalists and the Antifederalists, the inauguration of George Washington, adoption of the Bill of Rights, including the philosophical underpinnings of each amendment as expressed by the founders and George Washington's Farewell Address; and

(4) The fourth section shall examine the legacy of the American Revolution. The aim of this section is to ensure that students understand how the ideals of the American Revolution have shaped American life for nearly two hundred and fifty years. This section is not a substitute for instruction on American national history, but instead provides a framework for understanding the enduring and pervasive influence of the Revolution. The topics covered shall include the Revolution and American national identity, embodied in shared national history, symbols, and common heroes, as well as the relationship of the Revolution and its ideals to expanding political participation, the abolition of slavery, and the campaign for women's rights, including the Seneca Falls Convention, passage of the thirteenth and nineteenth amendments and Dr. Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' speech. This section also shall distinguish between American self-government and communism, including the philosophical differences on the right to free speech, the right to bear arms and the right to religious expression and private property. America's fight against communism also shall be studied within the context of key foreign policy events such as the Berlin Airlift, the Berlin Wall, the Tiananmen Square protests, and America's relationship with Taiwan. The broad purpose of this subsection is to ensure that students understand the enduring influence of the American Revolution in U.S. history including its foreign policy.

(E) Each year, prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, all public schools shall read the original account of the first Thanksgiving feast as recorded by pilgrim Edward Winslow. In grades six through twelve, students also shall read and discuss the Thanksgiving proclamations of President George Washington and President Abraham Lincoln, alternating annually between each proclamation."

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

"(D) A school district, starting in the sixth grade and continuing through the twelfth grade, annually shall provide instruction in United States foundational history, as defined in this subsection, for a minimum of thirty hours of classroom instruction. This annual instruction in United States foundational history must be divided into four sections with each section consisting of no less than five hours of classroom instruction time, allocated as follows:

(1) The first section shall examine both the events leading up to the War for Independence and its causes and include, but not be limited to, the French and Indian War; the life of young George Washington, including the Native American legend of his divine protection; American resistance to increased British regulation and taxation; debates between colonists and the British government about the authority of Parliament to make laws for and impose taxes on the colonists; the military occupation of Boston and the Boston Massacre, including Crispus Attucks, the Boston Tea Party, the Intolerable Acts, and the preparation of the colonists for armed conflict; Patrick Henry's 'Liberty or Death' speech; and the Continental Congress;

(2) The second section shall examine the War for Independence including, but not limited to, the Battles of Lexington and Concord; the Siege of Boston and the Battle of Bunker Hill; the defense of Fort Sullivan, including the importance of Carolina Day; the loss of New York City; the victories at Trenton and Princeton; the victory at Saratoga; the training and reorganization of the army at Valley Forge; the French alliance; the Battle of Monmouth; successful American resistance to British efforts to crush the Revolution in the South, including the sieges of Savannah and Charleston, Battle of Camden, Battle of King's Mountain, the campaign of Francis Marion, contributions of African American soldiers, the Yorktown campaign, the disbanding of the Continental Army, the Treaty of Peace, and Washington's resignation;

(3) The third section shall examine America's political philosophy including, but not limited to, the influence of John Locke on the founders; the concept of God-given rights; Thomas Jefferson and the drafting of the Declaration of Independence; Thomas Paine's 'Common Sense'; the arguments for and against independence in Congress; the vote on independence; the creation of American republics, including the nature of republics, the idea of sovereignty and the sovereignty of the people, the first state constitutions, and the Articles of Confederation as a cooperative compact between independent republics; the implementation of republican ideals in law, including the protection of natural and civil rights, exemplified by the Virginia Bill of Rights, the emergence of antislavery sentiment, exemplified by the Pennsylvania Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery, the spread of religious liberty, exemplified by the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom, and expanded opportunities for personal independence through land ownership, exemplified by the Northwest Ordinance; the framing and implementation of the United States Constitution, including Shays' Rebellion, the problem of the public debt, the Federal Convention, the ratification of the United States Constitution, including the debates between the Federalists and the Antifederalists, the inauguration of George Washington, adoption of the Bill of Rights, including the philosophical underpinnings of each amendment as expressed by the founders and George Washington's Farewell Address; and

(4) The fourth section shall examine the legacy of the American Revolution. The aim of this section is to ensure that students understand how the ideals of the American Revolution have shaped American life for nearly two hundred and fifty years. This section is not a substitute for instruction on American national history, but instead provides a framework for understanding the enduring and pervasive influence of the Revolution. The topics covered shall include the Revolution and American national identity, embodied in shared national history, symbols, and common heroes, as well as the relationship of the Revolution and its ideals to expanding political participation, the abolition of slavery, and the campaign for women's rights, including the Seneca Falls Convention, passage of the thirteenth and nineteenth amendments and Dr. Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' speech. This section also shall distinguish between American self-government and communism, including the philosophical differences on the right to free speech, the right to bear arms and the right to religious expression and private property. America's fight against communism also shall be studied within the context of key foreign policy events such as the Berlin Airlift, the Berlin Wall, the Tiananmen Square protests, and America's relationship with Taiwan. The broad purpose of this subsection is to ensure that students understand the enduring influence of the American Revolution in U.S. history including its foreign policy.

(E) Each year, prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, all public schools shall read the original account of the first Thanksgiving feast as recorded by pilgrim Edward Winslow. In grades six through twelve, students also shall read and discuss the Thanksgiving proclamations of President George Washington and President Abraham Lincoln, alternating annually between each proclamation."
So many things to unpack here.

The first thing that jumps out is the explicit requirement to discuss the native american legend of GW. Wow.

Second, it appears that while there is a mandated discussion of antislavery sentiment there is no mention of what that actually led to, namely a freaking civil war that began in your state!

Third, where are the federalist papers? They were absolutely instrumental in the formation of our government.

Fourth, did they dig up the corpse of Joe McCarthy to write the section on communism?

Fifth: I think the native americans might have a different view of the account of the first thanksgiving.....

This is blowing my mind.

Carolina Red

Staff
So many things to unpack here.

The first thing that jumps out is the explicit requirement to discuss the native american legend of GW. Wow.

Second, it appears that while there is a mandated discussion of antislavery sentiment there is no mention of what that actually led to, namely a freaking civil war that began in your state!

Third, where are the federalist papers? They were absolutely instrumental in the formation of our government.

Fourth, did they dig up the corpse of Joe McCarthy to write the section on communism?

Fifth: I think the native americans might have a different view of the account of the first thanksgiving.....

This is blowing my mind.
Yep. I ain’t teaching that shit.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yep. I ain’t teaching that shit.
If you are mandated to do so, I wonder how far you can flip it on its head.

"Good morning class, today we are going to discuss Pennsylvania Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery. It was a good thing. Hooray Pennsylvania. Now, lets spend the next 30 minutes discussing the role state of South Carolina played in putting the ideals of that great act into place."

ReallyUSA

To live in America. I will never, ever forget a substitute telling our class that the Native Americans wanted to be in those reeducation centers/camps. As I get older, I think my teacher took a sick day on purpose. I told my mom that, and she went to school to raise hell. I am black, but she is from the South and she knows how misinformation is given to us at times.

Carolina Red

Staff
To live in America. I will never, ever forget a substitute telling our class that the Native Americans wanted to be in those reeducation centers/camps. As I get older, I think my teacher took a sick day on purpose. I told my mom that, and she went to school to raise hell. I am black, but she is from the South and she knows how misinformation is given to us at times.
Christ on a moped

ReallyUSA

Christ on a moped
We were children, like in elementary school. We had to go to missions and build one for a project. To paint it like that with a small and passion she had stuck with me. I am not all for just bashing the ancestors of the country 24/7, but come on man. At least have decency about the past.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sounds like some of the shit being discussed in that "The UK is the bestest most unracist place ever" report".

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We were children, like in elementary school. We had to go to missions and build one for a project. To paint it like that with a small and passion she had stuck with me. I am not all for just bashing the ancestors of the country 24/7, but come on man. At least have decency about the past.
I am guessing you were in SoCal? I grew up there and we did the same thing. I think we went to Santa Ines.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This is appalling. This subjectivity is so demoralizing.

What’s so short sighted is that the tables can turn immediately once a Dem governor gets elected. I could see Georgia state Dems using it to their absolute advantage once a Dem governor is installed.
Dems never take advantage of their power so I wouldn’t expect that.

ReallyUSA

Sounds like some of the shit being discussed in that "The UK is the bestest most unracist place ever" report".
Yeah man, it was real uncomfortable, even at that age man. I had to get a lot of early knowledge on how things 'really' were, and so I knew what it was. What makes it even more uncomfortable is that the city is mostly Mexicans/Latinos. So she had a lot of nerve.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As a dog person I would have fostered the child for the life span of the dog.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

I am guessing that under these guidelines you could not discuss this in class today?