US Politics

The Firestarter

Isnt a woke, emasculated military easier to defeat when bogaloo time comes? They shouldn't be complaining.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Esmaculated Ted says. Probably why he never served. He'd never have hacked it. Had he, he's the type that would have been that officer, kissing the ass of those above while shitting on the enlisted and fellow officers. The type that would have been fragged in 'Nam.

It's also probably lost on Raphael that Russia has a forced military conscription whereas the US is voluntary.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Esmaculated Ted says. Probably why he never served. He'd never have hacked it. Had he, he's the type that would have been that officer, kissing the ass of those above while shitting on the enlisted and fellow officers. The type that would have been fragged in 'Nam.

It's also probably lost on Raphael that Russia has a forced military conscription whereas the US is voluntary.
The only thing Ted has volunteered for is to be Trumps biological bidet.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Im interested in real immigration number of people immigrating to the US post trump.

With all the racist fire being stoked and policed brutality combined with the rise of trumpism plus covid the number should be pretty small

MrMarcello

Well, if they were living in a cardboard box in Miami, FL...

That's a decent-sized kitchen from the looks of. Surely that's a pricey "place" in Miami, FL. Doubt anyone on $15/hour can afford it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can someone shed some light on why conservatives seem fine with voting restrictions bills? Aren't they always the loudest regarding "my personal freedom" ?

How is making it harder to vote compatible with their ideology?

Mike Smalling

Can someone shed some light on why conservatives seem fine with voting restrictions bills? Aren't they always the loudest regarding "my personal freedom" ?

They hide behind the excuse of trying to prevent illegal immigrants to vote.

The politicians clearly know that it is purely tactical rather than ideological, and I suspect most conservative voters know it as well.

SirAF

Ageist

A low turnout benefits Republicans, that’s all that matters to them. There are a lot of issues that are not compatible with their ideology!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No sure where to put this, but this girl took one hell of a risk. I know that my sister (who was salutatorian) was told that if she deviated from her approved speech they would withhold her diploma. In Texas no less. Bravo to her, I hope she gets into politics, we need brave people.

edit: bold was referring back to the girl in the tweet, not my sister. She is also brave, but we did not, thankfully, grow up in Texas!

Last edited:

Drifter

American

This is a move to suppress Black and Brown people from voting, because they know that they are more likely to vote Democrat. And you will find that they are the worst hypocrites, whether on freedoms, being fiscally responsible or Christian values

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout

Conservatism and voter restriction go hand-in-hand back a few hundred years. Although "voter restriction" used to just mean "no one votes". The freedom focus is a cover, they're mostly interested in their own freedoms.

MrMarcello

No sure where to put this, but this girl took one hell of a risk. I know that my sister (who was salutatorian) was told that if she deviated from her approved speech they would withhold her diploma. In Texas no less. Bravo to her, I hope she gets into politics, we need brave people.

edit: bold was referring back to the girl in the tweet, not my sister. She is also brave, but we did not, thankfully, grow up in Texas!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Came to post this, WI beat me to it. Here’s her ENTIRE valedictorian speech, the entire fecking thing. It ain’t long at all, I’d ask that everyone watches it in its entirety. I’m sat here equal parts openly crying / equal parts full of pride, this young lady used her entire speech to put Texas on full blast & rightfully so. I truly hope nothing happens to her vis à vis her diploma or her scholarship, it’s brave youngsters like her who need to be championed & those mentally deficient youngsters who attend Liberty University / Bob Jones University need to be marginalized.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Conservatism and voter restriction go hand-in-hand back a few hundred years. Although "voter restriction" used to just mean "no one votes". The freedom focus is a cover, they're mostly interested in their own freedoms.
Truly ‘compassionate,’ these conservatives.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

They realize their electoral opportunities wane with the increased youth / darker skin hue votes. This is simply a matter of limiting the overall votes possible by mainly targeting those who are younger & a tad darker

Their ‘personal freedom’ rants tend to be focused towards those a bit more bleached of skin / religiously motivated.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Atlantic has a good list of measure the Republicans have been passing at a state wide level:

• Half a dozen states, including Tennessee, Montana, Iowa, and Texas, have passed legislation allowing gun owners to carry their weapons without a permit.
  • Texas, South Carolina, Idaho, and Oklahoma have passed legislation banning abortion when a fetal heartbeat can be detected, after about six weeks of pregnancy (before women typically even know they are pregnant); Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas also passed virtually complete bans on abortion. Arizona approved an extremely restrictive bill that includes barring abortions for certain genetic conditions.
  • Ten states have adopted about two dozen laws in total targeting transgender individuals, including legislation in seven states that bars transgender athletes from competing in school sports. In the U.S., “2021 has officially surpassed 2015 as the worst year for anti-LGBTQ legislation in recent history,” the Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ-advocacy group, recently concluded. “States have now enacted more anti-LGBTQ laws this year than in the last three years combined.”
  • Through mid-May, “14 states have enacted 22 new laws with provisions that make it harder for Americans to vote,” and many other laws are still pending, according to the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School. “At this rate,” the organization wrote, “the United States is on track to far exceed its most recent period of intense legislative activity to restrict the vote—2011.” More red states may join this push: After a walkout by state House Democrats blocked a restrictive Texas voting law this week, Governor Greg Abbott announced that he would call a special session to pass the law later this year.
  • Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, and about half a dozen other states have passed laws stiffening penalties against demonstrators who block traffic or cause property damage, and several of those states have simultaneously provided civil or criminal protection for drivers who hit protesters, according to a tally by the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law.
  • Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas have barred public schools from teaching “critical race theory,” which focuses on racism as an endemic feature of American history. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is moving to prohibit it through a ruling by the state board of education.
  • Florida, Georgia, and Texas have all passed laws penalizing local governments that cut funding for their police department. One of the measures approved in Texas stipulates that a county looking to cut police funding must first win voter approval through a referendum—but would apply only to counties with a population of 1 million or more, almost all of which lean Democratic.
  • Over the past year, several red-state governors have issued executive orders or signed laws barring local governments from mandating the use of face masks or limiting local businesses’ hours of operation; Florida and Tennessee have passed laws barring local governments or businesses from requiring residents to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination. Restrictive voting laws passed in Georgia and proposed in Texas explicitly outlaw measures used to increase voter turnout in the states’ largest cities (Atlanta and Houston, respectively).
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/06/republican-state-legislatures-changes/619086/

Another good article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/republicans-agree-about-voter-fraud/619068/

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The Atlantic has a good list of measure the Republicans have been passing at a state wide level:

• Half a dozen states, including Tennessee, Montana, Iowa, and Texas, have passed legislation allowing gun owners to carry their weapons without a permit.
  • Texas, South Carolina, Idaho, and Oklahoma have passed legislation banning abortion when a fetal heartbeat can be detected, after about six weeks of pregnancy (before women typically even know they are pregnant); Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas also passed virtually complete bans on abortion. Arizona approved an extremely restrictive bill that includes barring abortions for certain genetic conditions.
  • Ten states have adopted about two dozen laws in total targeting transgender individuals, including legislation in seven states that bars transgender athletes from competing in school sports. In the U.S., “2021 has officially surpassed 2015 as the worst year for anti-LGBTQ legislation in recent history,” the Human Rights Campaign, an LGBTQ-advocacy group, recently concluded. “States have now enacted more anti-LGBTQ laws this year than in the last three years combined.”
  • Through mid-May, “14 states have enacted 22 new laws with provisions that make it harder for Americans to vote,” and many other laws are still pending, according to the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School. “At this rate,” the organization wrote, “the United States is on track to far exceed its most recent period of intense legislative activity to restrict the vote—2011.” More red states may join this push: After a walkout by state House Democrats blocked a restrictive Texas voting law this week, Governor Greg Abbott announced that he would call a special session to pass the law later this year.
  • Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, and about half a dozen other states have passed laws stiffening penalties against demonstrators who block traffic or cause property damage, and several of those states have simultaneously provided civil or criminal protection for drivers who hit protesters, according to a tally by the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law.
  • Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas have barred public schools from teaching “critical race theory,” which focuses on racism as an endemic feature of American history. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is moving to prohibit it through a ruling by the state board of education.
  • Florida, Georgia, and Texas have all passed laws penalizing local governments that cut funding for their police department. One of the measures approved in Texas stipulates that a county looking to cut police funding must first win voter approval through a referendum—but would apply only to counties with a population of 1 million or more, almost all of which lean Democratic.
  • Over the past year, several red-state governors have issued executive orders or signed laws barring local governments from mandating the use of face masks or limiting local businesses’ hours of operation; Florida and Tennessee have passed laws barring local governments or businesses from requiring residents to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccination. Restrictive voting laws passed in Georgia and proposed in Texas explicitly outlaw measures used to increase voter turnout in the states’ largest cities (Atlanta and Houston, respectively).
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/06/republican-state-legislatures-changes/619086/

Another good article:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/republicans-agree-about-voter-fraud/619068/
This is preposterous. The exact opposite of democracy.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Article on four broad groups of Americans:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/07/george-packer-four-americas/619012/

1. Free America

Libertarians who resent regulation in favor of individual freedom, tracing a through line from Ronald Reagan to Newt Gingrich to Ted Cruz

2. Smart America

A class of high earners and technocrats who attend competitive schools, embrace meritocracy, own MacBooks, and don’t intermingle with the rest of the country

3. Real America

White Christian nationalists, as recently energized by Sarah Palin and Donald Trump

4. Just America

A young generation that believes injustice is at the heart of the country’s problems and speaks the language of identity politics

All four narratives, Packer argues, “emerged from America’s failure to sustain and enlarge the middle-class democracy of the postwar years”—and all four are helping pull the country apart.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Art Laffer once again spectacularly wrong about something else economically, yet will be mindlessly championed by the right.