US Politics

Neutral

BTV
This is what Republicans all across the country are trying to do - stop non white people from voting, make that process as difficult as possible and if they still manage to vote...make it meaningless! t

This is sadly a war they are winning (they lost this particular battle).

Democrats need to spend more money at the ground level working on this issue.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The NC redistricting has been struck down every time it went before a court, but elections were allowed to be held on the GOP-drawn lines. The results were predictable. With a voteshare of about 55%, Republicans have supermajorities in the state house and senate and can block the (Dem) governor's veto.
On a side note, it is interesting that both Hillary and Deborah Ross, the senate candidate lost in NC, while the Dem governor, attorney general, and a court nominee won from the same electorate.

Carolina Red

Staff
This is something I've looked at as a way to compromise between getting single payer universal care and accommodating people's desire for "states rights" etc.

Using the commerce clause, Congress pass a law requiring all 50 states to create a single payer system. Also using the commerce clause, Congress passes a national reciprocity law among all 50 state systems.

States still get to control and fund their own system, the US still gets single payer universal healthcare.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Must be Russian hackers tampering with valves to release poison into rivers.
The republicans have been brilliantly efficient in NC for about 5 years now, both on the pollution and the voter suppression side. You should read some of the stuff they've allowed Duke Energy (ex-employer of the ex-governor) to get away with.

edit: also hog farms releasing enough shit that all neighbours get asthma.

Blodssvik

The republicans have been brilliantly efficient in NC for about 5 years now, both on the pollution and the voter suppression side. You should read some of the stuff they've allowed Duke Energy (ex-employer of the ex-governor) to get away with.

edit: also hog farms releasing enough shit that all neighbours get asthma.
Corruption that literally destroys the country.

Fergies Gum

Big, big day today. Can Ossoff pull it off?
Hoping so, but i am not too confident.

Republicans have been trying to get their voters in Georgia angry by spreading lies and fears about the Scalise shooting. One attack ad even said that the shootings would continue if Ossoff won.

I've seen some disgraceful attack ads, but this one is up there as the most despicable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
CNN continue to show Ossoff leading by a bit, whereas the NY Times show Handel up by nearly points. Someone will be eating some humble pie in a couple of hours. :houllier:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like this is over. Amazing how GOP voters were underrepresented again in the polls leading up.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
They turn out. All the scare tactics and ads get them out. Paranoia and fear. I have no idea how the DNC can mobilize its base/prospective voters from being a bunch of lazy fecktards.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They turn out. All the scare tactics and ads get them out. Paranoia and fear. I have no idea how the DNC can mobilize its base/prospective voters from being a bunch of lazy fecktards.
I suspect a lot of Dems or Anti-Trumpers like to talk a big game on social media but don't show up at the polls in the numbers they need to. Until that changes, nothing will change.

ManUtd1999

I suspect a lot of Dems or Anti-Trumpers like to talk a big game on social media but don't show up at the polls in the numbers they need to. Until that changes, nothing will change.
Agreed.

Democrats boo but don't vote, which is the opposite of what Obama has repeatedly advised them.

Republicans just show up and vote.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This will embolden the Trumplets in the House and pass Trumpcare.

Then when that kicks in, these districts will bear the brunt and may swing in 2018.

InfiniteBoredom

Georgia has voter ID law. Handel openly bragged about pushing it through.

Looks like it wont be the difference maker in the end, consider the district lines and make up of electorate, but you have to wonder the accumulative effect.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It was always going to be difficult to win. But Ossoff put up a good fight.
Still a long ways to go but given what Trump and the Republicans get up to, the Dems should have a decent chance in 2018.
Since Tom Price won the district by 30 and 20 points during the past two cycles, I don't think the GOP should be popping the corks for too long. Handel won by a mere 5 and I wouldn't put it past Ossoff to have another go in 18 months.

InfiniteBoredom

The problem with this race is that the narrative has been falsely represented by the media and a portion of the activist wing. This is at best an outside chance since local politics matters more in these elections than Trump. By hyping it up and pouring shit load of money into it they set themselves up for disappointment (particularly the non-politically savvy folks).

They must learn to channel their energy and money to actual winnable races. This is Tim Canova x10.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
The problem with this race is that the narrative has been falsely represented by the media and a portion of the activist wing. This is at best an outside chance since local politics matters more in these elections than Trump. By hyping it up and pouring shit load of money into it they set themselves up for disappointment (particularly the non-politically savvy folks).

They must learn to channel their energy and money to actual winnable races. This is Tim Canova x10.
Spot on, he really had very little chance whatsoever. After Handel made those awful comments about gay adoption and living wages and her numbers didn't change at all, then I think it was fairly obvious that she was going to win. I also agree it's been hyped up far too much and given people a false impression as well as false hope. The fall out since the announcement barely an hour or so ago has also been ridiculous making out the Democrats don't know how to win, can't win and really need to change their game up to be able to win. It's bullshit. That district has been Republican for over 40 years and the margins have been YUGE! I think the nearest a Democrat has come was about 25/30 points which is ridiculous. This constant spin may well be what many Republicans are on about when they say fake news all the time. Although it's not quite fake, it's definitely misleading and piss poor from a strategic and a professional manner.

InfiniteBoredom

The fall out since the announcement barely an hour or so ago has also been ridiculous making out the Democrats don't know how to win, can't win and really need to change their game up to be able to win. It's bullshit. That district has been Republican for over 40 years and the margins have been YUGE! I think the nearest a Democrat has come was about 25/30 points which is ridiculous. This constant spin may well be what many Republicans are on about when they say fake news all the time. Although it's not quite fake, it's definitely misleading and piss poor from a strategic and a professional manner.
This is what absolutely pisses me off. Watch fecking Bill Maher after the guy who assaulted the journalist won, droning on and on about how Dems dont know how to win, guess what geniuses? That district would vote for a dog with R before its name. When you peddle a patently false narrative, you dotnt have the right to excoriate Trump and co over their truthiness.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
This is what absolutely pisses me off. Watch fecking Bill Maher after the guy who assaulted the journalist won, droning on and on about how Dems dont know how to win, guess what geniuses? That district would vote for a dog with R before its name. When you peddle a patently false narrative, you dotnt have the right to excoriate Trump and co over their truthiness.
I've just had to listen to all the guests on Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon saying shit like Ossoff was too polite and too cordial. They went on to argue if he should have attacked Trump more and kept away from talking policy as much. Are you fecking kidding me? The man looks like he will come within 5 points of victory. In a district that has been R for 40+ years and the closest in recent memory was 25 points, losing by 5 is almost like a victory. Granted, it doesn't win him anything but it shows a clear shift by 20 points! That is to be celebrated surely? They are all talking about this will reinstate confidence in the Republican party and it's a show of support for President Trump. Again, are you fecking kidding me?

A couple of things...

1. Why the constant fecking negativity? Why can't they use this narrow loss to energise the Democrats and their base?

2. How does this show any kind of support for Trump? Look at this logically, 20 point shift, that has to be independents switching, and maybe even some Republicans too. If that was replicated nationwide, or in any area where the Republicans have about a 20 point lead, then they need to be seriously worried. Feck, they can spin this as much as they like, but if I was a Republican in an area where my lead in the last election was 20 points or lower then I would be getting ready for a real hard fight come the mid-terms.