US Politics

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Just read that yesterday. Scary stuff!
That’s fascist dictator type stuff there.
For those that follow events more closely; how realistic is this scenario?
If it’s bad as it sounds then I’d better speed up my plans to GTF outta here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That’s fascist dictator type stuff there.
For those that follow events more closely; how realistic is this scenario?
If it’s bad as he sounds then I’d better speed up my plans to GTF outta here.
Pretty realistic with the current SC makeup.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There's an eye opening thread here -
No it isn't. It's pure scare-mongering fantasy horseshit.

"After a few thousand people lay dead in the streets of two dozen cities, the police begin to round up the surviving “instigators,” who are charged with seditious conspiracy for resisting the Republican legislatures of their states."

What the feck.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

"After a few thousand people lay dead in the streets of two dozen cities, the police begin to round up the surviving “instigators,” who are charged with seditious conspiracy for resisting the Republican legislatures of their states."

What the feck.
It may seem hyperbolic, but it’s a definite possibility if SCOTUS rules as they probably will. There will definitely be civil unrest.

nimic

something nice
Scout

What the feck.
It does seem fanciful, but the former president did try to stage a coup the last time around. Who knows it if it would have worked or not, ultimately, but many of the people who were in a position to stop it then are now being wilfully replaced with people who believe the election was stolen. The thing about extreme political shifts like this is... they seem like pure scare-mongering fantasy horseshit right up until they happen.

I sure hope it's all fear-mongering, and that in a few years we'll look back at this and wondering why the hell we were so hysterical. But there's no denying that the US is extremely divided right now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It does seem fanciful, but the former president did try to stage a coup the last time around. Who knows it if it would have worked or not, ultimately, but many of the people who were in a position to stop it then are now being wilfully replaced with people who believe the election was stolen. The thing about extreme political shifts like this is... they seem like pure scare-mongering fantasy horseshit right up until they happen.

I sure hope it's all fear-mongering, and that in a few years we'll look back at this and wondering why the hell we were so hysterical. But there's no denying that the US is extremely divided right now.
If SCOTUS condones the independent state legislature doctrine, what Hartmann is envisioning would be a possibility.

MUW4Eva

What the feck.
Why do you belive that this isn't a possibility?

It is sadly very much what most likely will happen.

Realist81

What the feck.
I was referring more to the mechanisms the GOP have in place to basically lock themselves into power and sideline the majority of the country, throw in the increasingly theocratic tendencies of swathes of the party and things could get pretty dark fairly fast. The republicans have learnt from 2020 and are in a stronger position to pull it off next time around.

decorativeed

I was referring more to the mechanisms the GOP have in place to basically lock themselves into power and sideline the majority of the country, throw in the increasingly theocratic tendencies of swathes of the party and things could get pretty dark fairly fast. The republicans have learnt from 2020 and are in a stronger position to pull it off next time around.
I agree. It's scary as feck. Loads of the 'scaremongering' we heard about surrounding Trump's influence on US politics have already happened.

I hope @Shane88 is right, but all of this is very possible.

MUW4Eva

I agree. It's scary as feck. Loads of the 'scaremongering' we heard about surrounding Trump's influence on US politics have already happened.

I hope @Shane88 is right, but all of this is very possible.
Shane is very wrong sadly, it is far more of a realistic scenario, then many people want to admit.
There is no fantasy about it.

Simbo

Just in case anyone forget what a complete fecking lemon the most powerful man in the world was a few years back.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Don’t think he’ll win, but the prospect of DeSantis is equally horrifying, if not more so.
I saw Trump hint at making DeSantis his running mate for the next election. Is it fair to say that that would never happen or do you think DeSantis could actually go for that?

MUW4Eva

I saw Trump hint at making DeSantis his running mate for the next election. Is it fair to say that that would never happen or do you think DeSantis could actually go for that?
Go for one of the most powerful seats in the country, why would he not?!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why not, he's young and can hide behind Trump fat arse. If shit happens he can go solo next election and put all the blame on Trump. If things go rosy for his base he can claim he's his successor.

Wouldnt fancy going against Trump at the next election. His base is too rabid to split

RedDevilQuebecois

:mad: :mad: :mad:

If Dzhokhar Tsarnaev receievd the death penalty for what he did in Boston, I say that's the bare minimum for that loser from Highland Park too. Since Trumpists have already declared war on American society, it's no longer time to use kid gloves on them anymore. They must be treated with the same harshness as foreign terrorists are.

Mike Smalling

Why not, he's young and can hide behind Trump fat arse. If shit happens he can go solo next election and put all the blame on Trump. If things go rosy for his base he can claim he's his successor.

Wouldnt fancy going against Trump at the next election. His base is too rabid to split
It would seem like the most prudent plan for the GOP, I would say. The only things that could get in the way of the Republicans running with that ticket would be either DeSantis' ego, or a fear of the January 6th hearings making Trump a losing ticket. The former may be a factor, but I don't think the latter will be.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

He’s far too narcissistic & power hungry to play second fiddle. The VP position can be effectively neutered to almost a ceremonial role. No chance Trump would let DeSantis receive any kind of positive publicity.

The right wing media machine is already beginning to divest itself from Trump & focus on DeSantis.

Unlike Trump, DeSantis has created Florida into a right wing model going forward. That will pull a lot of Trump voters over.

And don’t forget that Republicans will coalesce behind any candidate they feel will win / whomever wins the primary.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It would seem like the most prudent plan for the GOP, I would say. The only things that could get in the way of the Republicans running with that ticket would be either DeSantis' ego, or a fear of the January 6th hearings making Trump a losing ticket. The former may be a factor, but I don't think the latter will be.
There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that DeSantis would allow himself to be marginalized as a VP. And that’s what Trump would do to him. He is in it for the presidency & has a ‘winning’ track record in Florida that he can tout to undecided or Trump leaning voters.

Mike Smalling

There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that DeSantis would allow himself to be marginalized as a VP. And that’s what Trump would do to him. He is in it for the presidency & has a ‘winning’ track record in Florida that he can tout to undecided or Trump leaning voters.
As a Floridian you obviously know way more about DeSantis than me, so I will take your word for it, but I'm reminded of the days in which Trump were deciding on his running mate back in 2016. This really says a lot about Trump's laziness and attitude to governing:
According to a Kasich adviser who spoke with the Times, the younger Trump said that Kasich would be in charge of both domestic and foreign policy. And what would Donald Sr. be in charge of? "Making America great again."
So, Trump's VP could potentially wield a lot of influence on policy, but would of course have to settle for an outwardly limited role in terms of pure exposure and attention.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As a Floridian you obviously know way more about DeSantis than me, so I will take your word for it, but I'm reminded of the days in which Trump were deciding on his running mate back in 2016. This really says a lot about Trump's laziness and attitude to governing:

So, Trump's VP could potentially wield a lot of influence on policy, but would of course have to settle for an outwardly limited role in terms of pure exposure and attention.
It’s all DeSantis’ ego, hunger for power, & love of the limelight why he wouldn’t settle for a secondary position. He always has the governorship of an emerging right wing utopia on which to fall back where he could continue to chart his own path & burnish his bona fides while biding his time. He has youth on his side vis à vis the presidency.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Republicans have long held that universities promote left-wing ideologies and discriminate against conservative students and staff.

The position of conservatives since the first university opened in 1088.