US Politics

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
How so? Congress wouldn't be involved, presumably.
Constitutional amendments, if I recall correctly, require a 2/3rds majority in congress and 3/4 of the states to pass
Edit: that's 2/3 in both the House and the Senate

Bert_

Constitutional amendments, if I recall correctly, require a 2/3rds majority in congress and 3/4 of the states to pass
Edit: that's 2/3 in both the House and the Senate
Can't see how anymore amendments will ever be passed given the state of things in the US currently.

It made sense back in the day when all states had similar populations etc but once people started drawing lines on a map and declaring the boxes they drew as states, then all that went out the window!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Can't see how anymore amendments will ever be passed given the state of things in the US currently.

It made sense back in the day when all states had similar populations etc but once people started drawing lines on a map and declaring the boxes they drew as states, then all that went out the window!
There were only about 13-14 states when they wrote it, and you're right, can't see it happening anytime soon, if ever

A lot of things made sense then, can you imagine what the founders would think now, they'd think the country was bonkers!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There were only about 13-14 states when they wrote it, and you're right, can't see it happening anytime soon, if ever

A lot of things made sense then, can you imagine what the founders would think now, they'd think the country was bonkers!
Not only that, but so many concessions had to be made to get all the states, especially the southern ones, to agree to confederation. I think alot of the crap we deal with (2 Senators regardless of population, Electoral College) stems from that bargaining. It was like the recent Speaker election, but with more racists.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This is a good idea and all Democrats (citizens) should support this. Sure, it does not seem feasible right now, but a lot of things did not seem feasible some time ago.
I agree term limits are a fantastic idea, but I trust exactly zero percent of anything that comes out of his mouth.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Not only that, but so many concessions had to be made to get all the states, especially the southern ones, to agree to confederation. I think alot of the crap we deal with (2 Senators regardless of population, Electoral College) stems from that bargaining. It was like the recent Speaker election, but with more racists.
Maybe they should go back to the original style senate, they were chosen by the state legislatures until 1913

frostbite

I agree term limits are a fantastic idea, but I trust exactly zero percent of anything that comes out of his mouth.
Yes, but the main problem here is that Feinstein, Pelosi, Biden, Sanders, etc... will never support term limits, either. We should have term limits for the Supreme Court, too, perhaps 8 years or so. Only by popular demand something may happen, if we just wait for the politicians to do something, nothing will happen.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I thought that was to do with the state courts overruling the politco's
sort of. My take is that if it is ruled favorably by the courts it would mean that the state legislatures have complete control over all elections and election related things. So, hypothetically, if this was in place in 20 then the AZ legislature could have ruled there was fraud and given their votes to Trump and there would have been no recourse to go to the courts, or Gov, to stop it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
sort of. My take is that if it is ruled favorably by the courts it would mean that the state legislatures have complete control over all elections and election related things. So, hypothetically, if this was in place in 20 then the AZ legislature could have ruled there was fraud and given their votes to Trump and there would have been no recourse to go to the courts, or Gov, to stop it.
Time to leave if that happens because the lunatics really would be running the asylum

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Didn’t we already try this about a decade ago?

Rand Paul the great compromiser, the man votes every time against Federal disaster relief funds except the time it was for his own state of Kentucky aka the great hypocrite if you ask me

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have absolutely no idea why, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that this wasn’t a Nick Fuentes style overt racism and likely more a tongue in cheek joke or parody. You could find posts on here from people who have used this sort of language as satire.

The reports from Brazil are that before he moved to America and started his Republican grift he was more of a left wing activist.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I have absolutely no idea why, but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt that this wasn’t a Nick Fuentes style overt racism and likely more a tongue in cheek joke or parody. You could find posts on here from people who have used this sort of language as satire.

The reports from Brazil are that before he moved to America and started his Republican grift he was more of a left wing activist.
Now I see where you're coming from, but "tongue in cheek" feels way too sophisticated a phrase to use on that post.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Get what you are saying, but I think he’s all the way through the looking glass. That said, this post was over a decade ago.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That Pelosi video is so bizarre that I don't even know what to begin to think or say.
It's not stopping them on the Fox news website comments, there are some seriously sick people on there!