US Politics

Dudu

Not to spoil the mood.. But meanwhile, after record turnout in Georgia:

WPMUFC

Last edited:

tombombadil

The Texan regulator said in a briefing it's so cold that natural gas, coal, nuclear instruments are freezing and halting supply, meanwhile wind has OUTPERFORMED estimates. :lol:

Yup. The lying, corrupt, GOP scum are shameless in how they shill against anything good and promote everything bad. Anti welfare and anti tax, so they are proud to have so many homeless people freeze to death. Climate change deniers and anti renewables, so they blame wind for the blackout despite the fact it is due to their corruption and pro carbon energy that caused it, either directly or indirectly.

When asked about the blame directed at wind energy by Abbott, Gates said, "He's actually wrong."

"You can make sure wind turbines can deal with the cold," adds Gates, the former Microsoft (MSFT) CEO and author of a new book entitled, "How to Avoid a Climate Disaster.” "[The extreme cold] probably wasn't anticipated for the wind turbines that far South. But the ones up in Iowa and North Dakota do have the ability to not freeze up."
The cold blast hit especially hard in Texas, where as of Tuesday 4 million households lacked power, the Washington Post reported. Some conservatives blamed frozen wind turbines for the power outage but wind energy contributes a fraction of the state's power in the winter, the Post pointed out.

The loss of power caused by blackouts of thermal power plants — which mostly rely on natural gas — outpaced the loss caused by frozen wind turbines by a factor of five or six, the Post reported.

"Actually, the main capacity that's gone out in Texas is not the wind, it's actually some of the natural gas plants that were also not ready for the super cold temperatures," Gates says.

Moreover, Gates said that climate change causes extreme weather patterns like the winter storm to "become more likely."

"Because the normal wind patterns are broken down and so cold fronts can go further south more often than we would expect," he says.

"The extreme events are coming more often and with more force — including hurricanes — than before we started warming the earth," he adds.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill...r-outage-claims-climate-change-002303596.html

Remember when he was being hero-worshipped beyond belief and a big chunk of people were even begging for a Presidential run from him? Weird few months.

sport2793

Remember when he was being hero-worshipped beyond belief and a big chunk of people were even begging for a Presidential run from him? Weird few months.
The funny thing though is I had a feeling his days were numbered even when he was benefiting as a contrast to Trump in the early COVID days. He had too much baggage prior to COVID that earned him many enemies across the political spectrum. His brother is a complete idiot too and a proponent of bothsidesism so I could care less about them.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Politics of a Second Gilded Age
BYMATT KARP
The mass inequality of America’s first Gilded Age thrived on identity-based partisanship, helping extinguish the fires of class rage. In 2021, we’re headed down the same path.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2021/02/the-politics-of-a-second-gilded-age

Long read, goes well with this forensic examination of Bernie's failures by the same author (right upto the insanely overoptimistic end).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
and he didn't back down, saying he didn't care about backlash and was speaking as a citizen. fecking loony state.
He has to be a militia member or someone who is extremely sympathetic to militias. Got to wonder how many mayors, city commissioners, sheriffs, etc. there are currently in their positions who fit this mold. This mentality, coupled with an environmental catastrophe like this, is one of two steps away from them being armed in their streets with local police force backing to ‘keep their neighborhoods safe’ as well as basic vigilantism. We saw a bit of this in the days following Katrina, wouldn’t surprise me to see some in Texas if things still stay fecked up environmentally.

MarylandMUFan

and he didn't back down, saying he didn't care about backlash and was speaking as a citizen. fecking loony state.
I lived in Colorado for 11 years. It is an awesome state but the politics could be accurately be described as loony. You have the right wing religious nutters headquartered in Colorado Springs, the ranchers and militia types with guns and then you have the super liberal folks in Boulder which resembles a mix of rich yuppie hippies and homeless people in the shadows of some of the most beautiful scenery. Then you have the urban core of Denver which is more similar politically to any large American city. They really cover all political spectrums there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I lived in Colorado for 11 years. It is an awesome state but the politics could be accurately be described as loony. You have the right wing religious nutters headquartered in Colorado Springs, the ranchers and militia types with guns and then you have the super liberal folks in Boulder which resembles a mix of rich yuppie hippies and homeless people in the shadows of some of the most beautiful scenery. Then you have the urban core of Denver which is more similar politically to any large American city. They really cover all political spectrums there.
The Denver suburbs are what seem to have turned the state blue in recent years, especially all the CA refugees who fled for more affordable housing in CO, only to make CO almost as expensive as CA.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I think this is the makeup of most western states.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He has to be a militia member or someone who is extremely sympathetic to militias. Got to wonder how many mayors, city commissioners, sheriffs, etc. there are currently in their positions who fit this mold. This mentality, coupled with an environmental catastrophe like this, is one of two steps away from them being armed in their streets with local police force backing to ‘keep their neighborhoods safe’ as well as basic vigilantism. We saw a bit of this in the days following Katrina, wouldn’t surprise me to see some in Texas if things still stay fecked up environmentally.
Plenty of LEOs in Texas support these fringe views. I recently posted a link about them in the police thread, also think in the George Floyd thread.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The mayor in question is from Colorado City, TX, btw.
Your point still sounds right though. I’ve visited CO multiple times and got that same impression.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Food was not spoiled btw.
So having worked in a grocery store i kind of "get it" as to why they did this.

Due to previous lawsuits our company had an ironclad policy that past due meats and dairy had to be disposed of securely. I worked in the meat department and this meant perfectly good steaks and poultry was tossed every day. We always massively discounted it the day before, but quite a bit was still wasted.

Essentially the courts had ruled that if someone broke into our trash cans and got sick eating the food we were liable for significant damages. For this reason every bit of meat and seafood was collected in special bins that were picked up daily and transported for disposal. Same for dairy (had to be dumped down special drain if liquid or in special bins if solid). It was California, so maybe that was specific to the state.

Dry goods were a little different, those we tried to get to food banks. Bread was handled by distributors, so not sure where the expired product went.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Manchin would be correct in voting no since she would wind up more toxic than beneficial to Biden.
I agree. The woman is a cnut. She's spewed some nasty bile on Twitter and is unapologetic about her actions. She's since deleted the majority of her most controversial Tweets, but that's hardly the point.

Joe is making another big cock up by nominating her. After a decent start he's really gone downhill fast. The lack of cheques (yes, that's how it's spelt) going out to help with COVID relief despite the promises, ruling out the $15 minimum wage and also going back on eliminating student debt.

It reminds me a bit of when the Lib Dems got elected to a hung parliment in the UK then got eaten alive as their big election promises failed to materialise. Although Joe has a majority (albeit a slim one) he, along with the majority of the rest of the Dems are showing how inept they truly are.

They really are a bunch of cowards. It was so predictable, but still saddening and infuriating none the less.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I agree. The woman is a cnut. She's spewed some nasty bile on Twitter and is unapologetic about her actions. She's since deleted the majority of her most controversial Tweets, but that's hardly the point.

Joe is making another big cock up by nominating her. After a decent start he's really gone downhill fast. The lack of cheques (yes, that's how it's spelt) going out to help with COVID relief despite the promises, ruling out the $15 minimum wage and also going back on eliminating student debt.

It reminds me a bit of when the Lib Dems got elected to a hung parliment in the UK then got eaten alive as their big election promises failed to materialise. Although Joe has a majority (albeit a slim one) he, along with the majority of the rest of the Dems are showing how inept they truly are.

They really are a bunch of cowards. It was so predictable, but still saddening and infuriating none the less.
The checks and min wage are all on congress, and specifically the Senate. I already contact Sen Baldwin (no point in even looking up Ron Johnson's contact info) and despite her promise to respond personally to all emails and calls I have yet to hear back. I guess she is really enjoying her week off.

Agree with the student debt thing, although I don't think he ever said more than 10K, the 50K number was Schumer and Pelosi.

While Joe has been predictably blah I am really pissed at the Senate. They have got absolutely nothing done. Nothing. You can't eve blame it all on the impeachment since they decided to take a week off after it was done.