US Politics

The Firestarter

That's the optimistic take. The pessimistic one is that the far-right Trumpists will destroy any opposition and the rest of the party will follow along. Hopefully it's different now that Trump isn't President any longer, but we saw what happened to the Never-Trumpers. They either turned into complete Trump lackeys or were utterly excised from the GOP.

Before 2016 I would have agreed with you, but I've been traumatized.
I understand this possibility, however large swathes of more moderate republicans have already left after Jan 6. I dont think they can increase their base of lunatics. So the only thing they can do is keep the existing crazies energized, and restrict voting rights. Still problematic of course, but to a point. It can help their base shrinking. Midterms will reveal the actual state, of course.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I understand this possibility, however large swathes of more moderate republicans have already left after Jan 6. I dont think they can increase their base of lunatics. So the only thing they can do is keep the existing crazies energized, and restrict voting rights. Still problematic of course, but to a point. It can help their base shrinking. Midterms will reveal the actual state, of course.
https://www.businessinsider.com/liz...pt-one-left-trump-speech-cnn-2021-5?r=US&IR=T

Liz Cheney was a big deal, and now she's a pariah. Mitt Romney was a called a communist in Utah. People are going along with the crazy, or even embracing it. This definitely might end up being bad for the GOP, but my fear is a classic opposition midterm victory leading into a wildcard 2024 election.

Biden didn't defeat American neo-fascism, unfortunately, it'll be back. Maybe I'm being cynical. Hopefully.

The Firestarter

Biden didn't defeat American neo-fascism, unfortunately, it'll be back. Maybe I'm being cynical. Hopefully.
This is correct. The victory wasnt as close as it is made to be, however it wasnt the complete annihilation of the right that was necessary to end this fascination with authoritarism.

My hope is in the corporate sponsors, surely these big cats understand that a mini hitler in the oval wont end well for them either.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Modern congresspeople since 1980? Then definitely yes.

But compared to the earlier history of Congress, no way.
I was thinking post-WWII

But I don't even think slave-owners in the early 1800s were worse because she would have been all over that if she lived when someone like John C Calhoun was alive.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I was thinking post-WWII

But I don't even think slave-owners in the early 1800s were worse because she would have been all over that if she lived when someone like John C Calhoun was alive.
I’d go post-WWII as well. Definitely in the argument.

I just did a ‘worst congressmen ever’ Google search. Some quite good articles pop up.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
She actually believes what she says. Ted Cruz on the other hand knows he is lying and does it to gain power. Ted for me is worse.
It's an interesting question. Is it worse to actually believe there is a not-so-secret cult of Satan-worshipping, baby-harvesting Democrats and Hollywood celebrities or just being a lying, greedy, self-interested politician willing to appeal to such wing-nuts to stay in power?

Reiver

Just seen footage of the Arizona election audit. Press kept at a distance, having to use binoculars to get a good view of what is going on. Guy in a cowboy hat is going around with a cell phone jammer. Auditors using microscopic cameras to check ballots. Auditors being told not to speak to press. Company conducting audit called Cyber Ninja, hired by the Republicans.
Can't help but thinking that, one way or another, the Republicans will find some "evidence" that corroborates The Big Lie.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It kind of is.
It is for sure. I'm just wondering whether some people don't think of it as anti-democratic as much as just anti-that-particular-party and then don't see that much wrong with it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If she didn’t look like a blonde Jim Thorpe, she could easily play Glenn Close’s part in ‘Fatal Attraction.’