US Politics

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Is everybody here a Democrat??

Seems statistically unlikely, but guess it's easier to rip on GOP then DEMS and ignore their utter incompetence.

DeSantis 2024.

Biden is not in charge and Harris is an unhinged, unlikeable (even by her own party, less than 1% support in CA primary) hyena.
Who the heck do Dems turn to in 2024?

It's like an echo chamber in here reading over the pages.
Just so many echoing the oh so unbiased news outlets talking points.
It's possible to think that the Dems are useless and shit while simultaneously thinking that the modern Republican party is a disgusting group of wannabe nazis without a single moral fibre in their bodies.

Jericholyte2

DeSantis 2024.
I nearly spat out my drink there!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The man who saw every reasonable effort to curb the spread of Covid and decided to sue it! A man who’s allowed Florida to hit 80k cases, over 62k deaths and 4m cases in one state alone, and then he fecks off on holiday!

And that’s apparently Presidential!?!?!?

Can I guess how you felt the 2020 election went?

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Seems statistically unlikely, but guess it's easier to rip on GOP then DEMS and ignore their utter incompetence.

DeSantis 2024.

Biden is not in charge and Harris is an unhinged, unlikeable (even by her own party, less than 1% support in CA primary) hyena.

If you're trolling, I suggest you stop.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That Obama approval is depressing, considering how many more innocent people he killed by using drones. It shows how important personality is.
Its more so a popularity contest then anything else. If you’re a good entertainer, you can be a popular President. Biden is obviously lacking in this regard, which makes it easier to frame him as boring and feckless.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Ex-cop mayor elected on a platform of cracking down on crime, increasing police funding, and increasing solitary confinement..

SirAF

Ageist

DeSantis 2024.

:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff

DeSantis 2024.

I do agree that unless something changes between now and then, DeSantis has a pretty good chance of becoming the nominee and defeating Biden. That’s unless Trump decides to run again, which is looking 50-50 at this point.

The Firestarter

I do agree that unless something changes between now and then, DeSantis has a pretty good chance of becoming the nominee and defeating Biden. That’s unless Trump decides to run again, which is looking 50-50 at this point.
Trump killed his chances with the vaccine endorsement.

sport2793

If the election were held today this is definitely true. With that said, there's lots of time for things to change, we aren't even to the halfway point of the first term. It's easy to forget how things can shift quickly in politics.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the election were held today this is definitely true. With that said, there's lots of time for things to change, we aren't even to the halfway point of the first term. It's easy to forget how things can shift quickly in politics.
True. DeSantis would also receive much more scrutiny for his COVID response if he ran for POTUS.

There are also a number of factors that will weigh heavily in his favor. He’s young, telegenic, and politically resilient, and in a party that unlike the Dems, is politically galvanized to win. Whereas the Dems require support from progressives, the identity politics crowd, and moderates - Republicans tend to vote for whoever their guy is no matter what, as a means to prevent the Dems from keeping power. This is imo, why someone like DeSantis would have a good shot a winning, especially when up against an old dinosaur like Biden.

Winrar

DeSantis 2024.

I'm personally a left leaning independent myself, and will criticize democrats just as much as republicans. (just because I don't really need to criticize the republicans here that much don't mean I support them either)

I don't support DeSantis myself, but Dems would be crazy to write him off since they really do not have anybody to run themselves. But 3 years is a long time.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2477...a-jan-6-type-insurrection-it-goes-much-deeper
The real threat to American democracy isn’t a Jan. 6-type insurrection. It goes much deeper

AUSTIN, Texas—Much remains to be learned about what happened in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, 2021. But almost from the moment that rioters stormed the Capitol, it has been clear that America’s constitutional order resisted Donald Trump’s effort to subvert it.

The available evidence suggests that Trump supported a cockamamie scheme to have Vice President Mike Pence refuse to certify the results showing that Joe Biden had won the Electoral College vote. The idea was that amid the confusion created by unauthorized self-appointed state electors, congressional Republicans would award Trump a second term.

By fixating on the Jan. 6 Capitol Hill riot and Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election, political and media elites can conveniently ignore the deeper problems afflicting American democracy. Yet only by identifying the system’s true vulnerabilities can it be preserved.

But the scheme was doomed to fail, because key Republicans refused to play along. Pence eschewed his assigned role in the scheme, as did Attorney General William Barr and other high-ranking executive branch officials. Republican state officials in Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, as well as federal judges—including some appointed by Trump—also stood their ground .

Unlikely conspiracy

Moreover, most of the congressional Republicans who challenged the election results believed they were engaging in a mere formality that would protect them from retaliation by far-right voters without changing anything. And those Republicans, in turn, were following precedents set by Democrats who challenged electoral results from states in previous elections in 2001, 2005 and 2017 .

Although opposition within Trump’s own administration and party sank Trump’s seditious plan, many Democrats argue that a similar scheme might succeed in 2024. But any repeat attempt to alter the Electoral College results on behalf of a Republican loser would require an unlikely degree of collaboration among dozens, if not hundreds, of Republican members of Congress, state legislatures, and federal courts. And this time, there would be no element of surprise.

Yes, scaremongers would say that unlike in 2020, Trump-backed officials may hold many key election-administration positions in 2024. But these Trumpist legions would have to be far more loyal and disciplined than previous loyalists like Pence and Barr. And each would need to be willing to risk his or her own political future on the success of a complex conspiracy that would chiefly benefit a notoriously disloyal individual who routinely uses people and then throws them away.

When mainstream media sources remain complicit in those failures, no one should be surprised if citizens look to alternative media sources, including crazy ones, or turn to outsider politicians, including narcissistic demagogues like Trump.

Moreover, Trump’s influence over Republican candidates is exaggerated. He tends to endorse those who are likely to win their primary or general elections anyway. More to the point, his hold on his base is unclear, as demonstrated by the many followers who publicly boo him when he endorses COVID-19 vaccines.

For these reasons, a scenario in which Trump (or one of his allies) is designated president by the House of Representatives after the 2024 election probably belongs in the realm of political-thriller fiction.

Symptoms of disease

Now consider the unlikely event that Trump were nominated and won a clear Electoral College or popular-vote majority in 2024. Rather than establish the white-nationalist dictatorship of progressive nightmares, an elderly second-term Trump would most likely be an even more ineffectual figurehead in a party dominated by conventional Republicans than he was in his first four years. If Italian democracy could survive three terms of Silvio Berlusconi as prime minister, American democracy can survive two terms of Trump.

None of this is to suggest that American democracy is not under threat. Populist demagogues like Trump are symptoms of a disease in the body politic. The real threat to American democracy is the disconnect between what the bipartisan U.S. political establishment promises and what it delivers. This problem predates Trump by decades and helps to explain his rise.

Contrary to what was promised, globalization did not produce new and better jobs for most Americans in the high-tech “ knowledge economy .” Instead, the U.S. has become dependent on China and other countries for basic manufactured goods, including drugs and medical equipment. Most U.S. job creation over the last three decades has been in low-wage positions with few or no benefits.

Similarly, in the 2000s, America’s financial elites claimed that the “ Great Moderation ” in global macroeconomic volatility represented a permanent “ new normal .” But it turned out to be dependent on asset bubbles that burst, causing the 2008 global financial crisis and the subsequent Great Recession. And U.S. interventions in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Libya produced only outright failures or continuing quagmires.

Failing upward

Many of the architects of these colossal disasters have gone on to establish lucrative careers as respected experts. Few have suffered financial or reputational losses. When a national establishment fails so often and at such cost, and when mainstream media sources remain complicit in those failures, no one should be surprised if citizens look to alternative media sources, including crazy ones, or turn to outsider politicians, including narcissistic demagogues like Trump.

Americans must be on their guard to prevent corrupt politicians’ illegal and immoral attempts to alter electoral results. But the real long-term threat to American democracy is the lack of popular trust in conventional politicians whose policies have repeatedly failed. And for that lack of public trust, American elites have nobody to blame but themselves.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If the pandemic continues to run amok which seems to be the case with the new variants, a Republican sweep in 2022 will be almost inevitable as I imagine them taking back the congress and adding several governors to their ranks.

2024 is an altogether different beast though and as much as like for my boy Donald to make a comeback, he would still have a mountain to climb as I imagine the economy has somewhat recovered by that point which enables the dems them to take credit for it, and the added incumbency advantage that Biden will have (if they so choose to stick with him). For gop to take back the presidency Biden must reach Carter performance levels (which i argue he has exceeded but a lot can happen in 3 years so he can improve) and thats a big if.

Overall it seems that ironically enough , donalds biggest electoral contribution to the part was the added Hispanic appeal , reversing a steady trwnd of demographic advantage for the democrats , so seeing how the Hispanic voting block ain't a sure thing as before, the future elections will be very interesting to follow.