USL Championship Final Sunday Night

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
ESPN has been showing the USL (USA) league this season. Tonight is the final with Tampa Bay vs Orange County

Tampa Bay came into this championship match as favorites with the best keeper and best overall defensive player Lasso (No, not Ted Lasso). The build-up to the match was all about the Tampa Bay team which is owned by the former MLB Rays owner.

At the half, Orange County is thrashing Tampa Bay 0-3
The first two goals from the young Haitian forward Damus, quality aggression.

Can't help but think, if Tampa has the best defense in this league, gotta be a real trash bunch of clubs. :p

:lol: So funny... the half-time show was pre-recorded all about how the Tampa Bay Rowdies dominated the league all season, as they're getting their collective asses handed to them during this final. Too funny

ooeat0meoo

By now, especially on a Sunday night, I'd have moved on from this silly waste of time but it's way too amusing to watch all these super wealthy Tampa Bay owners and fans bewildered.

Athletic comedy at it's best, this USL

Now the commentators are being critical of the Tampa Bay defender Ted Lasso lunging at Damus with his elbow and no yellow card. That would have been a 2nd yellow for Lasso.
It's quite possible the former MLB Rays owner had bought off the refs. So much for this league being around for 5 years will gain any legitimacy after this match.

Last edited:

ooeat0meoo

I was waiting for this, the referee sent off an Orange County player to give Tampa the advantage.
This league is worse than watching a Mexican league match. :lol:

The ref has been overlooking all sorts of fouls and obvious yellows committed by Tampa

ooeat0meoo

It's coming up on the 90th minute

I'm guessing the ref will add at least 5 minutes even though there are been few interruptions to the match

I was close
4 minutes extra time

Orange County up 1-3

Damus almost scores, again

ooeat0meoo

All 8 of the Orange County traveling fans are losing their minds with jubilation!!!!

Orange County wins the 5th USL Championship

Ted Lasso is crying

The Orange County keeper Rakovsky did an excellent job. The Haitian international Damus is without a doubt the MVP. He covered the pitch pressing like an angry mosquito

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I actually enjoy USL and USL1 quite a bit but couldn't catch this game. You're right about the promotions. I thought Tampa had already won due to the promotions

ooeat0meoo

I actually enjoy USL and USL1 quite a bit but couldn't catch this game. You're right about the promotions. I thought Tampa had already won due to the promotions
It was really odd. The supposed best team in the league, Tampa Bay, has a stadium that looks no bigger than my high school football arena.
I mostly watched it because I so enjoyed watching the pissed off Florida fans. After all that hype, their team gets thumped.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It was really odd. The supposed best team in the league, Tampa Bay, has a stadium that looks no bigger than my high school football arena.
I mostly watched it because I so enjoyed watching the pissed off Florida fans. After all that hype, their team gets thumped.
It looks small because it’s supposed to be a baseball stadium

MarylandMUFan

Yeah, there is quite a disparity in stadiums in the USL. Some clubs like Louisville have wonderful new stadiums while others (like Loudoun United, DC United's feeder club) have tiny little stadiums that look you would not notice if you drove right past it. Granted, it's probably similar to English League 1 and 2.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do Orange County get to play in MLS now?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Btw, two of Tampa's four top tier sports teams do not play in Tampa... they play in St Petersburg but label themselves Tampa Bay. It's kinda like some New York teams that play in Jersey, or that Dallas team that plays in Arlington (Tarrant County, home of Fort Worth), or that Bay area team calls themselves San Francisco but play in Santa Clara.