Utds wage bill the second highest in Europe!

Greck

Not surprising Woodward doesn't bother negotiating he just throws money at the situation.
Tbf we've been hearing for a while now that Jose was asked to sell before bringing more players in. People would moan the club was penny-pinching with no care for what our books might look like.

Anyway fan pressure isn't an excuse for poor finances. If anything were to happen to the club they cant come out and say fans on twitter pressured them into unsustainable finances

clarkydaz

Just wondering exactly how we got in to this mess.

New players/agents have smelt desperation from a United needing to get back on top?
Old players/agents have done the same knowing we don't want to be losing players we need while trying to get back on top?
Muppet managers desperately to keep players and setting a terrible precedent (Rooney springs to mind)?

I know we get a United tax, but why don't other teams who everyone knows have a giant/infinite pot get a similar or worse tax?
other clubs don't publicly boast they have more money than sense

Infra-red

Tbf we've been hearing for a while now that Jose was asked to sell before bringing more players in. People would moan the club was penny-pinching with no care for what our books might look like.

Anyway fan pressure isn't an excuse for poor finances. If anything were to happen to the club they cant come out and say fans on twitter pressured them into unsustainable finances
None of this is unsustainable - we still have one of the healthiest wages-to-turnover ratios around. The shame of it all is just how much money we are wasting on average players who have no business being anywhere near a side with aspirations to compete at the highest level. It's an absolute shitshow.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You only have to look at our “best ever transfer window” from two years agomto see how fecked up our transfer policy has become: Zlatan semi-retired, Pogba disgruntled, Mkhi sold, Bailly out of favour.

Raw

You only have to look at our “best ever transfer window” from two years agomto see how fecked up our transfer policy has become: Zlatan semi-retired, Pogba disgruntled, Mkhi sold, Bailly out of favour.
At least it's not as bad as our previous "best ever" transfer window. Depay (shite), Darmian (shite), Schweinsteiger (shite), Schneiderlin (shite), Martial (wants to leave) and Romero (best signing 10/10 absolute legend).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
At least it's not as bad as our previous "best ever" transfer window. Depay (shite), Darmian (shite), Schweinsteiger (shite), Schneiderlin (shite), Martial (wants to leave) and Romero (best signing 10/10 absolute legend).
I mean Romero has been a fecking quality signing 10/10, but depressing that it is only our 2nd choice GK you can say that about.

IAmAWinner

How about 14/15? Di Maria (shit), Blind(sold), Herrera(average), Rojo(shit), Shaw(ok), Falcao(shit).
Seriously what the feck are we doing, this club is a shambles.

LingiBW

Going forward I hope the club learns from the Sanchez mess and start offering players wages with a lower basic salary and putting in place performance related bonuses.

• The very best players - ≤150K basic + performance ≤250k.
  • Next tier players - ≤75K basic + performance ≤150k.
  • Squad Players - ≤50K basic + performance ≤100K
  • Young players/ new to first team - ≤20K

Quick question, can a club demote a player and therefore reduce his wages? Has it ever happened?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Much of it will be down to increases for qualifying for the CL but also will only include 6 months of Sanchez to June, crazy money.

el3mel

Well, kinda of ridiculous we're paying our players more than the last 3 CL titles winner is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, what it amounts to is nothing we didn’t know all too well already: we’re extremely underwhelming.

Wage bill is usually an accurate indicator of how good a team is. We’re the great exception to that rule and have been ever since a certain man retired.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
DDG , Martial & Shaw yet to renew .
Thinking Mata,Herrera,Rojo,Jones will be sold which will free up 350-400 k and that will be used for renewal.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Quick question, can a club demote a player and therefore reduce his wages? Has it ever happened?
His basic salary is written in his contract, you can't not pay it, regardless of his role in the team. By demoting a player you'll probably won't allow him to activate any bonuses.

There is a different strategy that sometimes work in a real life — you demote player to a second team and wait, without even giving him any minutes to play. If he starts to miss trainings because he's pissed and unmotivated, you can fine him and even terminate his contract (and sue him for damages).

LoneStar

I agree that a lot of mediocre players are getting insanxe wages, but how would you fix this though? Any new player would see the wages these guys are on, and expect something similar. And I highly doubt any of our players will agree for a wage reduction in their next contract.

Players like Young and Valencia would not be getting a new contract, but I doubt they were among the top earners to begin with.

We need an rvn

I’m not having a go, but it’s just thread after thread of negativity isn’t it?

Obviously when you’re spending that much money you expect to be one of the best football teams in the world. The reality is we are some way off at the moment.

But at the end of the day, we are spending within our means, so it’s not a huge problem IMO.
I know what you're saying but it's also a massively conflicting statement. You only pay the highest wages in the world when you're winning and sign the best players in the world to continue that. We're neither winning nor signing the best players - but also giving players like Fellaini / Alexis crazy contracts.

Yes, we're spending within our means but we're not spending wisely at all mate. If it were a Ltd company and I was a major shareholder I'd be having major issues with our status / transfer & wages policy and I could go on.

Plus side, we're looking at a DoF and working on the youth network etc so there are positives - but a club like us shouldn't have gotten into this state

Woziak

I've been going on about this for such a long time. Our wage bill especially in last 5 to 6 years is a joke for the trophies won, we have basically paid a wage bill which is similar to Spurs's Turnover and yet have maybe 5 players who would get in their starting 11, yes Spurs have won f...all but Ericsson, Kane, Ali, Alderweield and Vertongen would all walk into our side. We simply have too much dross like Darmian, Rojo, Valencia, Mata, Lindelof, Jones, Feillani on big wages for the performances they give.

Ed appointed Jose on £15M per year but he needs to either be backed or sacked because United Fans will soon start voting with their wallets if the football doesn't approve. On a day where Profit was reduced but wage bill and net debt has gone up, the board will expect a significant upturn in results or Jose will be picking up his P45, is he the fallguy or are the poor results completely his fault since he signed a lot of the players on big wages, I guess somewhere in between is the correct answer!

Woziak

I agree that a lot of mediocre players are getting insanxe wages, but how would you fix this though? Any new player would see the wages these guys are on, and expect something similar. And I highly doubt any of our players will agree for a wage reduction in their next contract.

Players like Young and Valencia would not be getting a new contract, but I doubt they were among the top earners to begin with.

All united players have wage reductions built into their contracts. If they do not qualify for the Champions league, they lose between 20 and 25% of basic salaries.

LingiBW

His basic salary is written in his contract, you can't not pay it, regardless of his role in the team. By demoting a player you'll probably won't allow him to activate any bonuses.
Then this calls for player remunerations to be performance based. A lower basic would make players work hard and also protect the club from paying over the odds for non-performing players therefore put a stop to this madness that is currently happening

LoneStar

All united players have wage reductions built into their contracts. If they do not qualify for the Champions league, they lose between 20 and 25% of basic salaries.
Yes, but what about the new players coming in, especially the marquee players ? They would look at Sanchez and Pogba's wages and they would also expect similar.

Woziak

I think most United fans don't mind the fact that our wage bill is £300M, the problem is if you pay the most which the club should be doing, you as a fan expect the best and currently that squad is not performing like a top 8 team yet alone Champions of England.

We expect more and maybe a Director of Football will offer a more practical view and suggest the following ;

Manager and Back Room coaches - £25M
5 Superstars on 250k to 500k p/w - £100M
15 Top Quality on 100k to 200k p/w - £120M
7 Under 23 Stars on 50k to 100k p/w - £30M

Youth Set ups and U23 team - £11.5M
Ladies Team - £3.5M
Other Directors and Club Staff - £10M

I have no idea what each employees or departments within the club are paid and whether the next report will go up because of a ladies team and a full year of Alexis Wages, what I do know is the club needs to appoint a Director of Football urgently to finally sort this mess out!

Woziak

Yes, but what about the new players coming in, especially the marquee players ? They would look at Sanchez and Pogba's wages and they would also expect similar.
Totally agree but a structure is required where De Gea, Pogba are on 350k per week and Sanchez and Lukaku should be put under pressure to justify their wages, if not you replace and change just like Barca and Madrid do!!

RooneyLegend

Get someone that understands how to run the football side of things. How we managed to lose our manager and not really hire one is baffling. We're being fleeced by agents left, right and centre. Replacing Sir Alex was about replacing someone that runs the club's football side rather than someone who walks around putting cones on a training pitch.

We need someone to sell the garbage, buy quality and promote youth. Someone to pay players according to how good they are and not how big our club is.

Josep Dowling

I’m not having a go, but it’s just thread after thread of negativity isn’t it?

Obviously when you’re spending that much money you expect to be one of the best football teams in the world. The reality is we are some way off at the moment.

But at the end of the day, we are spending within our means, so it’s not a huge problem IMO.
Yes it is. Why are we paying crap players for not performing.

When you pay the 2nd highest in Europe then we should be competing for the Champions league and we don’t even look like a top 4 club in our own league.

That is a huge problem that needs sorting immediately. Precisely why we can’t get rid of the mediocre players like Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Smalling, Mata, Fellaini, Young.

L1nk

This is why people are questioning why we haven't sold more dross, because we are paying dross fair more than they should be being paid and they either don't want to leave or are being priced out of moves elsewhere because no one else will pay the same wages. Nobody was ever gonna bow to Fellaini's demands, nobody was ever going to pay Lingard the stupid amount we pay him... absolutely appallingly run club.

LaRoux

How is this even possible? Like, statistically how is this possible? I knew we’d be high up but how are our wages higher than City’s?

kundalini

Memphis Depay's leaked contract showed that he earned £3.9m basic if not in CL, and £5.2m basic if we were in the CL that season. On top of that he got £20k per start and £10k per sub if before 70 mins. 20 starts worth another bonus of £200k and a similar amount if he reached 40 starts. Given that he wasn't signed as a mega star, and cost £26m, I think you can reasonably assume that most of the established squad players (Herrera, Jones, Bailly, Smalling, Lindelof, Martial, Valencia etc) will be on similar amounts, so between £5.5m and £6.5m. If United took up the one year option on his deal, his basic went up further so those players who we have used the option (Herrera, Mata, Shaw) will probably be earning more this year.

Based on all the available evidence, including the Football Leaks book, this is my best guess at the salaries for last season. Not sure about Darmian as LVG said he was signed as back-up to Valencia so might be on a lower figure. Romero is another difficult one to estimate.

De Gea 11, Romero 4, Joel Pereira 0.5

Valencia 6.4, Young 6.2, Shaw 5.6, Darmian 5.6, Blind 5.6

Bailly 5.6, Smalling 6.5, Jones 6, Rojo 5.6, Lindelof 6

Matic 10, Pogba 18, Herrera 6, Fellaini 5.6, McTominay 1, Carrick 5.3

Lingard 6, Mata 8, Rashford 5, Martial 6,

Lukaku 12, Zlatan 1.6, Sanchez 10 (from Jan, full year would be 22m+)

--

Tuanzebe 0.5 for first half of season, Mkhitaryan 6 for first half of season

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Can we talk about the fact that we have one of (if not the) highest paid manager in the league? What a fraud of a man. Guardiola waited until the end of last season to get himself a contract extension (after a historic PL season), while this fraud cried and moaned the entire first half of last season until he got one.

That pretty much tells you his priorities.

PoTMS

If we sacked of all our players and started again, I'd honestly prefer it. Only losing De Gea would hurt. The others I could care less. Don't deserve even a fraction of what they earn.

Dan_F

Actually i don't see anything out of the world bad except Sanchez. Most of the players earn less than 100k which is quite normal salary for a player at a top club.
Same. Valencia and Young are expensive for where they are in their careers, but that’s to be expected if they have signed multiple extensions. Problem now is we have to offer the best player huge wages to come and play for us. They certainly aren’t going to be joining us for the manager or trophies like before.

kundalini

I think most United fans don't mind the fact that our wage bill is £300M, the problem is if you pay the most which the club should be doing, you as a fan expect the best and currently that squad is not performing like a top 8 team yet alone Champions of England.

We expect more and maybe a Director of Football will offer a more practical view and suggest the following ;

Manager and Back Room coaches - £25M
5 Superstars on 250k to 500k p/w - £100M
15 Top Quality on 100k to 200k p/w - £120M
7 Under 23 Stars on 50k to 100k p/w - £30M

Youth Set ups and U23 team - £11.5M
Ladies Team - £3.5M
Other Directors and Club Staff - £10M

I have no idea what each employees or departments within the club are paid and whether the next report will go up because of a ladies team and a full year of Alexis Wages, what I do know is the club needs to appoint a Director of Football urgently to finally sort this mess out!
United have 922 full-time staff and then additional temporary staff for match-days. Even if the non-footballing staff consisted of Ed Woodward on £2m a year plus everyone else on minimum wage, you'd still be looking at £25m.

A decent starting point for most football clubs is to assume the first team squad and manager take up 2/3 of the total wage bill. So £200m in this case.