Utds wage bill the second highest in Europe!

wolvored

All united players have wage reductions built into their contracts. If they do not qualify for the Champions league, they lose between 20 and 25% of basic salaries.
Have you proof of this?

hkjack

Supports
Man City
To be honest, a lot of these issues were pre-Mourinho. He's come to a squad where Ashley Young is earning £110K a week, Mata £140K etc.
Oh, really? salary account for 50.2% of turnover , rise from 45.3% last year.
Sanchez's salary alone is much more than Mata and Young combined.

Green_Red

Crazy that we're so high. We get shafted because of how much we make. You would think if we were another type of business there would be serious questions raised about productivity and efficiency.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Crazy that we're so high. We get shafted because of how much we make. You would think if we were another type of business there would be serious questions raised about productivity and efficiency.
We get shafted because we have too many people in charge who have no clue what they're doing

Green_Red

I didnt see it thats why i asked for proof. Have you definite proof?
I read it, but I didn't take note of where, I only read bbc.com, skysports.com, ft.com, rte.ie, theage.com.au, so probably somewhere on one of those.

Beagle

When it comes to the financial side of things we are the best in the world.

Seriously, it may appear reckless but it is certainly sustainable for us.

Look at our senior management team and owners. They are money men. They know how to make money.

As a fan I personally don’t mind how much we spend on players.
You're not getting it. The limit is not on the money the club can spend, but rather on the number of players we can have in a squad. In the current situation where United have players like Lukaku, Fellaini, Lingard, Jones, Sanchez, Bailly, Lindelof the problem is no club will be interested in buying them for the wages they get at United. No club can just keep on adding players without letting a few go.

A quality player on high wages is still not a big problem to move on. The top clubs can all afford a few on astronomical salaries. The trouble is with these non performing players who are devoid of quality on the pitch.

kundalini

Have you proof of this?
It appears in our official accounts. For example, read page 3, where it says Other Financial Information, Operating expenses..., Employee benefit expenses, Employee benefit expenses for the year were £295.9m, an increase of £32.4m, or 12.3%, over the prior year, primarily due to player salary uplifts related to participation in the UEFA Champions League. https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/Governance Document/jun-2018-mu-plc-earnings-release.pdf

It doesn't give the percentage but that featured in Memphis Depay's leaked contract, which is online, if you want to chase it. He got £3.9m basic in a non-CL year and £5.2m basic if we played CL that season. Similarly, Pogba's salary details are in the Football Leaks book, again they state different figures according to whether we are in CL or not, that season.

Last edited:

wolvored

It appears in our official accounts. For example, read page 3, where it says Other Financial Information, Operating expenses..., Employee benefit expenses, Employee benefit expenses for the year were £295.9m, an increase of £32.4m, or 12.3%, over the prior year, primarily due to player salary uplifts related to participation in the UEFA Champions League. https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/Governance Document/jun-2018-mu-plc-earnings-release.pdf

It doesn't give the percentage but that featured in Memphis Depay's leaked contract, which is online, if you want to chase it. He got £3.9m basic in a non-CL year and £5.2m basic if we played CL that season. Similarly, Pogba's salary details are in the Football Leaks book, again they state different figures according to whether we are in CL or not, that season.
Thanks. I hadnt seen this.

zizi

You're not getting it. The limit is not on the money the club can spend, but rather on the number of players we can have in a squad. In the current situation where United have players like Lukaku, Fellaini, Lingard, Jones, Sanchez, Bailly, Lindelof the problem is no club will be interested in buying them for the wages they get at United. No club can just keep on adding players without letting a few go.

A quality player on high wages is still not a big problem to move on. The top clubs can all afford a few on astronomical salaries. The trouble is with these non performing players who are devoid of quality on the pitch.
More damning evidence against the manager if we wouldnt buy another cb due to squad numbers and the reason is that the squad was already bloated from the two additional cbs he purchased.

Woziak

Have you proof of this?

I think you will find that this has now been supported in the forum with a credible link. It was always a well known fact to many United supporters. It's why the players were so happy when they won the Europa League in 2017, the players knew they were going to get a pay rise. The main problem within our squad is the quality and lack of energy which has been mentioned by many knowledgeable fans on this thread and the fact that you simply can not move some of the players on because of their high wages.

In an ideal world we would look to move out the following playes over the next two windows;

Mateo Darmian 90k per week, Phil Jones 110k per week, Marcos Rojo 120k per week, Juan Mata 140k per week, Alexis Sanchez 500k per week, Paul Pogba 350k (I quite like the boy but his Agent is a tool! and we should demand a minimum of £150M), Antonio Valencia 120k per week.

This would free up circa £1.4M to £1.5M per week and allow us with a Director of Football to invest more wisely and change the balance of the squad. The squad currently has 6 strikers of which 2 are hybrid attacking midfielders or no 10s not Right wingers or Right inside strikers. If we were to rate our Squad in 4 categories only The Goal Keeping position is a 9 out 10, defence 5 at best, Midfield 7 and Strikers 6 on current form. If we look at hopefully start 2019-20 season after 2 windows our Squad would hopefully look some thing like this ;

Goalkeepers - D De Gea, S Romero, L Grant - Quality options

Defenders - D Dalot, T Fosu-Mensah, C Smalling, E Bailly, V Lindelof, New WC CB (K Koulibaly or R Varane) , New elite young CB (J Panzo or A Tuanzebe comes through) , New Young LB ( K Tierney or B Chillwell) , Luke Shaw, A Young ( last year of contract) - 3 players needed massive upgrade probably cost £140 - 160M

Midfield - N Matic, Fred, M Feillani, A Herrera, A Pereira, New WC Creative MF (Tiago or T Kroos), New BTB Young Midfielder ( R Neves, M Mount or J Maddison) - 2 players needed upgrade probably Cost £150M

Strikers - R Lukaku, A Martial, J Lingard, M Rashford, WC CFW ( Cavani or Lewandowski), WC Right Winger ( D Costa, Fekir, or H Lozano) upgrade probably cost £170M

We might get £250M for the 7 players but Woodward will need to sanction a further £200M just to get us in the Top 3 on a regular basis!

Last edited:

MrBest

Assume Sanchez is on 500k a week, that's 26m a year. 295m the current bill minus Sanchez brings us to 45% of 590m turnover.

Not sure the Sanchez signing is really value for money in my eyes unless he is bring amazing commercial success, which I doubt.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
2nd highest wages for the 2nd best team in Europe!

"This is fine" :D

Woziak

United have 922 full-time staff and then additional temporary staff for match-days. Even if the non-footballing staff consisted of Ed Woodward on £2m a year plus everyone else on minimum wage, you'd still be looking at £25m.

A decent starting point for most football clubs is to assume the first team squad and manager take up 2/3 of the total wage bill. So £200m in this case.
You may well be right which is why I said its difficult to really fathom a complete breakdown but somewhere between 66 to 75% for first team squad seems accurate but now look at all the other first team squad of 28 players and tell me that they do not resent Alexis, Jose and Pogba taking the best part of £55M of that so called £200M .....By your assumption more than 1/4 of our wages are paid on 3 underachieving superstars with a massive disparity to the rest of the squad.

Two of which can not stop arguing with each other and the other is a fading latin lothario that's lost his mojo. In any form of employment people always want to know what the next man earns and if he's worth double, treble or even quadruple when he's doing a similar or in some cases a poorer job. I assume you don't include U23s in first team squad because even 18 year olds like Angel Gomez are on rumoured 20k per week.

Eric's Seagull

I’m not having a go, but it’s just thread after thread of negativity isn’t it?

Obviously when you’re spending that much money you expect to be one of the best football teams in the world. The reality is we are some way off at the moment.

But at the end of the day, we are spending within our means, so it’s not a huge problem IMO.

We are spending with in our means which is great on a financial level. But spending with in your means, means nothing if I doesn't equate to success on the pitch which is the main target. To have a higher wage bill than all the clubs in the Premiership who are doing better than us is embarrassing but to be only second behind Barcelona in wages when there are so many teams better than in Europe makes us seem like a laughing stock. Players need to earn these massive wages and want to swim the Channel to come here not for the wages but because they want to play for our club, which used to happen which really hurts as some players may see United as just a club to come to to get paid top money and know that as long as they make into the Champions League the owners they will be happy. Really disappointing.

Last edited:

Woziak

If wecarecspending within our means great financially but it doesn't seem to have been spent

We are spending with in our means which is great on a financial level. But spending with in your means, means nothing if I doesn't equate to success on the pitch which is the main target. To have a higher wage bill than all the clubs in the Premiership who are doing better than us is embarrassing but to be only second behind Barcelona in wages when there are so many teams better than in Europe makes us seem like a laughing stock. Players need to earn these massive wages and want to swim the Channel to come here not for the wages but because they want to play for our club, which used to happen which really hurts as some players may see United as just a club to come to to get paid top money and know that as long is the make into the Champions League the owners they will be happy. Really disappointing.
Couldn't have said it better myself, great post United fans deserve better as does the club!

fellaini's barber

Of course it's a problem. We end up stockpiling shite players who we can't get rid of because they don't want to walk away from a massive contract.
You see this is what has really driven me crazy about Jose's tenure and the way this club is being run. All these shite players will still have their contracts renewed when we could have just let them leave. It's understandable signing a player and realising they're crap but why do we keep them for so long? Rojo, Young, Fellaini, Darmian, Jones... All players who's contract have been renewed over the last 3 seasons, why ffs??!!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We need to start including variables or bonuses instead of bigger basic pay. If the player is performing well and activating bonuses even upto 200k or more than fair fecks to him.
I agree with this.
And perhaps it may motivate our players to play better (with more effort) against lesser teams.
Everytime we play a lesser team, effort levels drop and we come to a sticky end. Against better sides, we tend to play well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You see this is what has really driven me crazy about Jose's tenure and the way this club is being run. All these shite players will still have their contracts renewed when we could have just let them leave. It's understandable signing a player and realising they're crap but why do we keep them for so long? Rojo, Young, Fellaini, Darmian, Jones... All players who's contract have been renewed over the last 3 seasons, why ffs??!!
The reason why contracts are renewed and not allowed to expire is so that that player can eventually be sold for at least a few million.
These are financial decisions and not footballing ones. The whole club is run as a business and it's hurting us on the pitch (though we are doing fantastically well, financially and as a global brand).

Reddy Rederson

This is a symptom of Mourinho.

Unsustainable.
Disagree, this is a Woodward issue. It started with Rooney when woodward felt he needed to make a statement about untied still being able to attract big name players and so Rooney got a feck ton of money even though he was playing far below the level that that wage demanded. Then the “war chest” talk just told the world we were willing to spend big money to get who we wanted, which is what cut the legs out from under us in any negotiation. Hence being quoted transfer fees sometimes double what other teams were quoted. Woodward cares more about image/perception/brand than he does anything else. And that was there with Moyes, lvg and has continued with mou.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This just highlights something that I've been saying about Woodward. He overpays for practically everyone we sign. He doesn't negotiate a good deal, definitely no bargains. It's all well and good praising him for some signings but he pays absolutely top whack to get it done. And look where it leaves us.

fellaini's barber

The reason why contracts are renewed and not allowed to expire is so that that player can eventually be sold for at least a few million.
These are financial decisions and not footballing ones. The whole club is run as a business and it's hurting us on the pitch (though we are doing fantastically well, financially and as a global brand).
I really doubt it, we've had no intention to sell them at all because these contracts usually come with a pay rise making it even more impossible to sell them. Fellaini and Rojo both got pay rises, players no one wanted to buy because of their wages in the first place how the feck are we going to get rid of them now. I think its just gross incompetence all round, because if that is really the idea behind the renewals that means we are really being run by idiots