Vaccinated Players

Hammondo

Maybe because they don’t have the privilege of being from middle class privately educated backgrounds like many of the Rugby examples you would have used, and football is a sport where you need complete devotion from the ages of 10 or before to make it.

I don’t think they are thicker than any other athletes anyways especially if you take out the sports who tend to attract posh middle class participants like Rugby Tennis and Rowing.
Not being middle class is no excuse for being thick, that's just lazy thinking.

Ueanuwug

I would assume a lot of it has to do with risk-assessment. Essentially covid by now is a known entity with players who are pretty much 24/7 under any form of medical care.
Unlike us commoners this is a completely different background and thus the risk of covid becoming serious is so minimal at this point that teams and players seem to not consider the vaccine necessary for now. Especially in the context that many vaccinated report of feeling some form of exhaustion for some time afterwards - which is players will want to avoid at all costs to not be at 100% of his performance.
There is a good chance many more will do it during the next summer break I reckon.

Just an assumption, though.

snk123

If the vaccine had no side effects and had an actual efficacy rate of 90% and above to prevent symptomatic illness - then they would have been dumb and selfish.

As it stands - vaccines are not effective in preventing symptomatic disease. Vaccines have caused numerous side effects. Some people have died. Myocarditis is serious especially for athletes. Vaccines have not stopped transmission of the virus.

So footballers should be free to make their own decisions according to their risk benefit analysis.

Eugenius

If the vaccine had no side effects and had an actual efficacy rate of 90% and above to prevent symptomatic illness - then they would have been dumb and selfish.

As it stands - vaccines are not effective in preventing symptomatic disease. Vaccines have caused numerous side effects. Some people have died. Myocarditis is serious especially for athletes. Vaccines have not stopped transmission of the virus.

So footballers should be free to make their own decisions according to their risk benefit analysis.
Funny you end with risk benefit analysis and don't talk about the several footballers who have had long covid (compared to your 'side effects' from the immune response lasting a night or two). Or the much higher risk of getting myocarditis from actual covid infection. Or a player like Karl Darlow being hospitalised.

It's completely irrational to fear the vaccine but be content to catch covid.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
While the vaccinated figures mostly show 80% of population is it’s based on 16-100. All pro footballers that play in PL are under 35 with most being in their 20’s. They also are insanely fit also being monitored day in day out.
In Ireland people only 43% of people are under 30 are vaccinated. Young people tend it stay away
Ireland is one of the most heavily vaccinated places on the planet most of our teenagers are vaccinated too

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/most-vaccinated-region-world-irish-25058150

Red_toad

Funny you end with risk benefit analysis and don't talk about the several footballers who have had long covid (compared to your 'side effects' from the immune response lasting a night or two). Or the much higher risk of getting myocarditis from actual covid infection. Or a player like Karl Darlow being hospitalised.

Its the world we live in now. Misinformation is widely available and exaggerating vaccine issues, whilst glossing over the benefits is rife.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
An NBA player, Wiggings who plays for Golden States Warriors, hasn't taken the vaccine and as a result risks missing all their home games in the upcoming season

Dan_F

There is a reason why the MHRA and SAGE refused to recommend COVID vaccines for those below the age of 13. It is because the chance of getting serious thrombosis from the vaccine was the same as getting it from actual COVID. For those below 30 the the risk from COVID only barely outweighs the risk of severe adverse effects from the vaccine.
I am a doctor who works in a medium sized hospital in the West Midlands and I have been fully vaccinated but I support people's right to decide for themselves, without being made to feel like social pariahs. We are also seeing patients who are fully vaccinated ending up in ITU, the numbers are increasing. So for young footballers you would have weigh the fact that the vaccine only confers temporary and incomplete protection with the fact that in a pandemic the vast majority of the population will get infected at some stage regardless of any public health measures.
What age groups are you referring to here? Young footballer-aged people that have been double jabbed or older?

But if you are weighing it up in a risk vs benefit way, you’ve admitted the risk is greater for being unjabbed if you’re over 18 so unless you’re going down conspiracy theory rabbit holes, there really is nothing to weigh up scientifically.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I don’t think he said that and it really isn’t irrational to fear a vaccine that isn’t as effective as the govt claim.

I think we’re still a couple of years away from an effective vaccine so if individual adults want to make that decision based on genuine fears then let them be free to do so.

Inigo Montoya

What age groups are you referring to here? Young footballer-aged people that have been double jabbed or older?

But if you are weighing it up in a risk vs benefit way, you’ve admitted the risk is greater for being unjabbed if you’re over 18 so unless you’re going down conspiracy theory rabbit holes, there really is nothing to weigh up scientifically.
Think he stated under 13.

hanovercigars

Under 13s have been excluded from the vaccines as per SAGE and MHRA recommendations. We are seeing double jabbed patients in ITU in the over thirties group. The vaccine which I have taken myself, works in reducing hospital admissions but it is only temporary. Some of the known side effects (myocarditis and CVST) can be permanent. This is the balance of risk footballers will have to assess. Of course if you mention this on Facebook, YouTube or Twitter you will be reprimanded or even banned.

Dan_F

Under 13s have been excluded from the vaccines as per SAGE and MHRA recommendations. We are seeing double jabbed patients in ITU in the over thirties group. The vaccine which I have taken myself, works in reducing hospital admissions but it is only temporary. Some of the known side effects (myocarditis and CVST) can be permanent. This is the balance of risk footballers will have to assess. Of course if you mention this on Facebook, YouTube or Twitter you will be reprimanded or even banned.
We know all these things already. No one has claimed that you won’t be hospitalised if you are over 30 and double jabbed. All the more reason for those under 30 to take it up.

You don’t need me to tell you how many people you would be seeing hospitalised right now if it wasn’t for the vaccine.

Inigo Montoya

What? under 13s ending up in hospital after being double jabbed?
There’s no recommendation for a double jab due to the risk. That’s for boys I should have said. A single jab only has been recommended.

Dan_F

There’s no recommendation for a double jab due to the risk. That’s for boys I should have said. A single jab only has been recommended.
I wasn’t asking about that. I was asking the poster what age those patients were who were in intensive care after being double jabbed.

hanovercigars

Currently testicular cancer has a 95% five year survival rate. Unfortunately that does mean that 5% will die if they get testicular cancer. Orchidectomy (surgically removing your balls) can prevent death from testicular cancer in 100% of cases. Footballers are crazy for not chopping their balls off when there is overwhelming evidence for preventing testicular cancer and unlike the vaccine the protection from afforded from orchidectomy is permanent.

Inigo Montoya

I wasn’t asking about that. I was asking the poster what age those patients were who were in intensive care after being double jabbed.
We don’t know do we? Will they ever release figures?
In Israel aren’t 85% of new hospital intakes been double jabbed? Didn’t their Health minister say that vaccinated people now present a greater risk to the wider population than unvaccinated?

It was an interview i heard. I’d like to think it’s fake but I don’t know. If anyone wanted to clarify that or debunk it please post.

I prefer to believe there’s hope with vaccines

Dan_F

In Israel aren’t 85% of new hospital intakes been double jabbed? Didn’t their Health minister say that vaccinated people now present a greater risk to the wider population than unvaccinated?

It was an interview i heard. I’d like to think it’s fake but I don’t know. If anyone wanted to clarify that or debunk it please post.

Mate, I was just asking the poster the rough age of the people that were in his intensive care unit that were double jabbed. Im not sure what you’re finding difficult to understand about that.

Inigo Montoya

Currently testicular cancer has a 95% five year survival rate. Unfortunately that does mean that 5% will die if they get testicular cancer. Orchidectomy (surgically removing your balls) can prevent death from testicular cancer in 100% of cases. Footballers are crazy for not chopping their balls off when there is overwhelming evidence for preventing testicular cancer and unlike the vaccine the protection from afforded from orchidectomy is permanent.
Aren’t you just going off on a massive tangent here? That clearly isn’t the subject being discussed and it’s a totally separate issue.

Inigo Montoya

Mate, I was just asking the poster the rough age of the people that were in his intensive care unit that were double jabbed. Im not sure what you’re finding difficult to understand about that.
And it was answered. I don’t think he has the figures. What’s so difficult to understand

Dan_F

Yeah I’m out.

Dan_F

And it was answered. I don’t think he has the figures. What’s so difficult to understand
Why does it need figures. I’m sure he has eyes? We’re talking about anecdotal evidence in a hospital he works at, which he used to explain why footballers shouldn’t get a vaccine.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
An NBA player, Wiggings who plays for Golden States Warriors, hasn't taken the vaccine and as a result risks missing all their home games in the upcoming season
I don't get this. Why only home games? What is the reasoning at work here?

Inigo Montoya

Why does it need figures. I’m sure he has eyes? We’re talking about anecdotal evidence in a hospital he works at, which he used to explain why footballers shouldn’t get a vaccine.
Apologies I’m didn’t know
That

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
What a bizarre way of stating the issue for a medical professional. That's the way people should be weighing it up?? The vaccine angainst the massively transmissible, hugely prevalent and possibly fatal virus runs out at some stage but the extremely rare possible side effects could be permanent? I'm glad you're not my doctor. I'm teaching in a disadvantaged area, lot's of vaccine scepticism or apathy. I can think of at least 5 families who have lost unvaccinated people close to them and there have been a number of students very hard hit with the virus and who continue to suffer the effects. Of course it's people's right to choose but pretending it makes sense medically for a fit 30 year old to refuse it is bonkers.

mustaine

I don't get this. Why only home games? What is the reasoning at work here?
Because of local regulations, San Francisco and New York have stricter regulations than most other cities so players from the Warriors, Knicks and Brooklyn will have to get vaccinated in order to play home games.

hanovercigars

I'm not telling people not to take the vaccine , I'm simply saying it is not as black and white an issue as the mainstream media makes it out to be, especially for those under 30. We should not ridicule those who chose not to have the vaccine. Believe me I was once in your position trying desperately to convince patients to take various treatments and to stop unhealthy behaviours. I would be baffled by their resistance and I would be critical of them when speaking to other health professionals. But it never managed to change to their minds. We live in what is supposed to be a free country. We don't force people to stop smoking even though it is suspected of causing others disease via passive smoking, we don't force people to stop drinking alcohol even though it is heavily linked to domestic violence and drink driving.

Think of the fervent Ole out brigade ( I think we won't win any major trophy with him) if you were to tell them that there is overwhelming evidence that he has improved the side and that he is a great manager, they won't come round to your way of thinking. In fact if you give such a one sided assessment it is likely to arouse suspicion and harden their position against you.

Dante

Average bang
I think their internal thought process has parallels with the trolley problem.

If a train is about to plough into 10 people but by pulling a lever you can save them by diverting it into 5 people instead, which do you do?

On the face of it, it's obvious. Pull the lever. You do the calculation that confers the most benefit, you make the active choice, and you take the positive action.

However, people don't always operate in the world of maths and statistics. Stepping away from the lever means you can rationalise the consequences aren't really your fault. But performing the physical act of pulling the lever would mean the blame would be.

I know the analogy is far from perfect. But I think the reasoning follows similar lines. Players don't want to take the jab because any complications would be their fault. Whereas turning it down would mean that any illness would be the fault of nature. That's particularly true for the young or self-reliant who believe in their own invulnerability. And for a lot of 20-something professional footballers with brilliant genetics and the body of a Greek God, nature understandably feels like less of a worry than the artificial.

You can't always debate your way into convincing somebody else they're wrong. The risk is entrenching their initial beliefs even further. It sounds like a lot of footballers are stuck in their own echo chamber. I think we just need to be sympathetic to their point of view whilst also educating them with as much of a soft touch as possible.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Because of local regulations, San Francisco and New York have stricter regulations than most other cities so players from the Warriors, Knicks and Brooklyn will have to get vaccinated in order to play home games.
Thank you for the additional info. I only knew about the SF part

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What’s your point?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
How does vaccination among players line up with other sports. Are we seeing similar percentages in rugby, cricket, basketball etc?

NYAS

:lol:

KeanoMagicHat

I must have missed it when testicular cancer became a highly contagious disease spread in the air...

Balljy

We don't force people to stop smoking even though it is suspected of causing others disease via passive smoking, we don't force people to stop drinking alcohol even though it is heavily linked to domestic violence and drink driving.
We do tax both alcohol and tobacco specifically for the health impacts they have and the cost that has on the NHS / social effects though. We let people decide, but they pay extra for the privilege of that decision.

FatTails

Makes sense. Footballers are largely uneducated, thick as feck, obviously young, and self centred. The perfect recipe.

Clique

That's selectively playing with Statistics now isn't it?

Israel has 80+% of its population vaccinated, so chances are that the ones who need hospitalization would be vaccinated more often than not. The absolute numbers have drastically reduced from the previous year when the virus broke out.

Would the scientific community have loved it for a vaccine to prevent all hospitalization, yes absolutely.

But should the fact that there are breakthrough cases stop anyone from taking the vaccine, no freaking way!

If you want to read about it a bit more - this article was pretty insightful - https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...srael-hospitalization-rates-simpsons-paradox/

While people do have the right to informed choice, their choices should have consequences. If you're not vaccinated, you shouldn't be allowed in a place of public usage (i.e. pubs, football grounds, theaters, malls etc.). Enjoy your choice inside your own homes.

Editing to add another quote that was particularly insightful

Washington Post article said:
Vaccinated Israelis, like White Americans, are older as a group than unvaccinated Israelis. And that’s why they’re going to the hospital at a rate higher than you might naively hope. Among Israeli adults under 50, as of Aug. 15, 3.5 million were vaccinated and 1.1 million were not. That’s still a considerable number of vaccine holdouts. Among those 3.5 million vaccinated younger people, just 11 were hospitalized — about three per million. Meanwhile, of the unvaccinated in this age range, 43 were in the hospital, or 39 per million.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Footballers are so thick. I hear them speak and can't help but think that compared to other sportsmen (rugby players, athletes etc), they are thick as shit. Why is that?
Here in South Africa it’s very clear cut. Football is a sport for the masses and it’s very cheap to play. And most pro footballers would have sacrificed education in pursuit of becoming a pro because if you’re not really well affiliated with a pro club from a young age or talent spotter in your teens, your chances of making pro reduces dramatically.

Rugby and cricket though, are offered at a pro level (clear route to becoming a pro rather) at University level, so you’d actually need to get some sort of education which would help your pursuit of becoming a pro (scholarships etc). And they’re both generally more expensive sports to participate in (time and equipment for cricket, rugby nutrition etc which helps).

Im sure it’s probably “similar” in most other countries.

alexthelion

How does vaccination among players line up with other sports. Are we seeing similar percentages in rugby, cricket, basketball etc?
In the NHL the uptake is almost 100% (I believe only 10 or 15 players are unvaccinated).

If they do not get jabbed they are unable to cross the US/Canada border and will miss at least 30 games. Also, if they get Covid, they won't get paid.

snk123

I'm not telling people not to take the vaccine , I'm simply saying it is not as black and white an issue as the mainstream media makes it out to be, especially for those under 30. We should not ridicule those who chose not to have the vaccine. Believe me I was once in your position trying desperately to convince patients to take various treatments and to stop unhealthy behaviours. I would be baffled by their resistance and I would be critical of them when speaking to other health professionals. But it never managed to change to their minds. We live in what is supposed to be a free country. We don't force people to stop smoking even though it is suspected of causing others disease via passive smoking, we don't force people to stop drinking alcohol even though it is heavily linked to domestic violence and drink driving.

Think of the fervent Ole out brigade ( I think we won't win any major trophy with him) if you were to tell them that there is overwhelming evidence that he has improved the side and that he is a great manager, they won't come round to your way of thinking. In fact if you give such a one sided assessment it is likely to arouse suspicion and harden their position against you.
Excellent post.
Obviously you'll be ridiculed because there is a cult like attitude to anyone who even remotely tries to go against the mainstream view here or on any other forum.