Valencia set to leave at the end of the season.

Cloud7

Not gonna lie, I was half expecting this to be an old thread that was bumped because he was offered a renewal :lol:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great servant to the club over the year. Nothing unexpected about him not being renewed, and wish him all the best if he looks to find another club.

Camilo

To be honest, I don't think he has ever really declined. He's still as fast as they come, strong, physical.. He's obviously not the attacker we signed ten years ago, but he became a very good defender..

I don't think the shambles he's had to be a part of for the last five years has helped really. Wouldn't be surprised if a very decent European side took him on for a year, but also wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day.

vangagal

Him took that number 7 only to realised he just isnt mentally prepared was the moment he should left tbh for me.

Thanks Tony.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
SAF on Antonio right after signing him: "Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan, I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/30/antonio-valencia-manchester-united-16

Just like Young, came to the club as a winger but didn't exactly met expectations. Superb defender at times, played it simple and countless times didn't crumble under physical pressure despite some detriments to his game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be honest, I don't think he has ever really declined. He's still as fast as they come, strong, physical.. He's obviously not the attacker we signed ten years ago, but he became a very good defender..

I don't think the shambles he's had to be a part of for the last five years has helped really. Wouldn't be surprised if a very decent European side took him on for a year, but also wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day.
From his performances this season I'd say you could tell he wasn't as fast or fit as he had been - as let's be sure, he was a physical specimen! Probably a key reason why we didn't bother even attempting to sign a top right sided player for years as he covered the whole wing.

We then "got away" for a bit by having Darmian/Young involved, but it's come to a head this summer, and it's super obvious we need massive upgrades down that side.

criticalanalysis

I'm guessing you've forgotten just how bad Valencia was when he did play this season. He made Young look like Roberto Carlos in comparison.

Obviously peak Valencia was far better, but Young has been better for a couple of seasons now.

I'll remember Valencia fondly, and I'll also like to remember that 20-30 minute period in the FA Cup final last year where he rolled back the clock and really had Chelsea in all kinds of problems. Wish we'd seen him do that more often over the last few years.
As a right back? Young has had better delivery no doubt but Valencia's core ability right now is a much better fit for us.

I mean I half jest but with Valencia we would be good width (via positioning) and good ball retention. He might more offer less than Young as an attacking threat but at least we would see those crap lofted balls into the channel to nobody and some semblance of playing out from the back.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
SAF on Antonio right after signing him: "Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan, I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/jun/30/antonio-valencia-manchester-united-16

Just like Young, came to the club as a winger but didn't exactly met expectations. Superb defender at times, played it simple and countless times didn't crumble under physical pressure despite some detriments to his game.
Really?

What kind of expectations were you hoping for Valencia?

He was one of our most importang player at his peak and was at times probably the best right back in the league for a short while before his decline started .

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As a right back? Young has had better delivery no doubt but Valencia's core ability right now is a much better fit for us.

I mean I half jest but with Valencia we would be good width (via positioning) and good ball retention. He might more offer less than Young as an attacking threat but at least we would see those crap lofted balls into the channel to nobody and some semblance of playing out from the back.
Well, Young at left back was better than Valencia on the right. Young this season at right back was better than Valencia was when he got games this season.

It was noteworthy this season that Valencia wasn't really providing the width anymore, as he didn't seem to trust himself to be able to get back if we lost the ball. He just didn't seem to have any faith in himself anymore. When he did get games people on here were quickly wanting Young to come back in.

Ace of Spades

Well, Young at left back was better than Valencia on the right. Young this season at right back was better than Valencia was when he got games this season.

It was noteworthy this season that Valencia wasn't really providing the width anymore, as he didn't seem to trust himself to be able to get back if we lost the ball. He just didn't seem to have any faith in himself anymore. When he did get games people on here were quickly wanting Young to come back in.
Spot on. This season it was blatantly obvious that he was not confident about his ability to get back into position anymore. It is time, he can't even be a decent reliable backup anymore.

RedRazor

on the radio
As much as I admire Valencia as a player, he really shouldn't have been playing for us the last several years. He kept his place because he was good at keeping possession, strong in the tackle, and still had a turn of pace. He also put his heart in every game, and never stopped running.
The flip side to this was his creative output was almost zero these last few seasons. I could watch him run the wing and know with certainty that he was going to stop before taking the player on, and pass it back to midfield or defence. Absolute attacking movement killer. I blame LVG's influence for a lot of it.
He can absolutely do a job, just not for us where we need a player that will get at the opposition, run the line and put a cross in as well as defend.
The image of him as our captain was always great. Strong, fierce and most importantly, incredibly proud. A fine role model.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Really?

What kind of expectations were you hoping for Valencia?

He was one of our most importang player at his peak and was at times probably the best right back in the league for a short while before his decline started .
The fact that he was exempted from winger duties is telling that he didn't exactly met expectations. Then there was that one serious injury which made things more complicated.

I agree on his peak part, superb asset, especially in games against Liverpool.