Van der Vaart on Maguire "He's really sh*t"

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He looked a real talent at Ajax, but never did anything in a top league to justify the early hype. Based on their Premier League spells, I think the Dane was clearly more impressive.
He was quite good at Spurs wasn't he? Granted his most impressive stuff was early at Ajax and at HSV who were still actually good back then. He also started great at Real, but he just lost his legs there and never really got them back. He definitely didn't deliver on that golden boy promise, he's still the best 17 year old I've ever seen, but people saying he is shit or average or the like are being silly. Though I understand it's mostly because of his remark about Maguire. That's just his thing though, he takes the piss.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Vlar was it? The Dutch CB from Villa that was part of the World Cup final squad? Prefer him as the example since Blind has been quality and continued to shine even in the CL
Ron Vlaar didn't, the XI I had for that post was erroneous. He had a great WC though.

Marcos Rojo did make the WC XI, which tells you everything.

He was quite good at Spurs wasn't he? Granted his most impressive stuff was early at Ajax and at HSV who were still actually good back then. He also started great at Real, but he just lost his legs there and never really got them back. He definitely didn't deliver on that golden boy promise, he's still the best 17 year old I've ever seen, but people saying he is shit or average or the like are being silly. Though I understand it's mostly because of his remark about Maguire. That's just his thing though, he takes the piss.
No, hence why he was booted out after just 60 odd games for them.

Ron Vlaar didn't, the XI I had for that post was erroneous. He had a great WC though.

Marcos Rojo did make the WC XI, which tells you everything.
Yes it does, as I informed you earlier it tells you it was a shitty mathematical model developed by a petrol company based on goals & assists :lol:

The Euro team of the tournament is voted on by a panel of experts made up of ex players and managers from all over Europe.

MattyLT

Enough with the Harry Maguire jokes already. He's an honest professional who never skips head day.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yes it does, as I informed you earlier it tells you it was a shitty mathematical model developed by a petrol company based on goals & assists :lol:

The Euro team of the tournament is voted on by a panel of experts made up of ex players and managers from all over Europe.
When did you do that? I must've missed it.

So is VDV eligible to be on that panel? :smirk:
How about Van Basten and Gullit?

RuudTom83

VdV has called Maguire shit for years, rightly so too. He’s really not the guy to pin these “revisionist” or “knocking Harry when is down” allegations. He’s always been consistent with his assessment of Maguire hence him prefacing it with “I’ve spoken about him too much, I try to avoid speaking on this guy these days”
If Harry is ‘shit’ then 90% of the football league is shit.

He is a full international and a big part in England making it to the finals. Something Holland haven’t done for a while.

But putting that to one side, my post was more aimed at being a pundit in the modern day.

mancan92

Nonsense - VDV is a story of wasted talent, highly rated youth who failed in his big move to Real and then a journeyman who never settled anywhere

Harry Maguire's place in this year's Euro Team of the Tournament is already better than anything VDV achieved in his whole career
Doesn't matter if he didn't reach the heights people hoped he still played consistently at a higher level than maguire from the moment he entered professional football.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I didn’t say shit did I? I said the dane was clearly better in the Prem, and that post Ajax, VDV was average.
You said he was a shit Eriksen. Either way, if you think he was average fair enough, I disagree. He was amazing at HSV for one thing and his first season at Spurs was as good as anything Eriksen did in the prem. If we are being this harsh with players I might nearly agree with his statement that Maguire is actually shit though. Honestly speaking he's not of course, he's decent, just not compared to his price tag.

Last edited:

mancan92

Not remotely comparable? He's just a shit Eriksen
His career literally shits on Maguires currently. Let's see what maguire goes on to achieve but teams he played in internationally and on a domestic basis were higher. People pointy just bring up spurs and even then he was a major part of a time when spurs were top 4 and one of the most entertaining teams in the league.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Can he feck, still superglued to his line.
Still keeping us in games our atrocious defence has been trying hard to throw away. Not really the point though is it? Even if De gea was the worst keeper in the history of keepers, it doesnt take away from how poor Maguire is.

Still keeping us in games our atrocious defence has been trying hard to throw away. Not really the point though is it? Even if De gea was the worst keeper in the history of keepers, it doesnt take away from how poor Maguire is.
Maguire’s having an absolutely terrible season, but I consider every single player bar Ronaldo and Varane to be having a shite season.
De Gea’s had about 3 horror seasons.

Real Name

He really is a cnut. @Real Name I mean. And I'd sort of understand if he was some decent footie player so he goes around and call other ex players average but he can't kick a ball in 5-aside.
Pretty sure that's how the analogy would go if taken a step further.
That's really bad.

lemmiwink

Maguire is slow and has questionable positioning, but he is clearly good enough to be worth 30 million. He was 80 million so he gets compared to actual world class defenders….

killerboi2

Some of my fellow United fans trying to laugh along with Van Der Vaart reminds me of the kid that would try and join in with his pals when they builled his dorky younger brother.

Rolaholic

van der vaart and the haters will never explain how a bad, awful, pathetic defender like maguire was nominated for the best euros XI

did van der vaart make it into a best euro XI ? :lol:

maguire just needs a better midfield in front of him and he will be back to his best 2020-21 form
Marcos Rojo definitely approves of judging defenders this way

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Maguire’s having an absolutely terrible season, but I consider every single player bar Ronaldo and Varane to be having a shite season.
De Gea’s had about 3 horror seasons.
Maguires been shit since he got here. Moments here and there, but generally shit. No one else matters, as we arent talking about anyone else no matter how many times you try to drag anyone else into it. The video speaks for itself. I have no idea wy youre bothering to argue the toss over this, as it there for all to see on the magic of video.

Get In Scholesy

:lol::lol:
Say what you want about VDV, but I laugh every single time I see this.

Not too bothered if it is an accurate assessment or not, as Maguire has been both good and really shit for us. But I watch it mainly as a way to vent my frustrations about Maguire this season. So for that alone its a 10/10.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Thats a very good team to be fair and probably well deserved

Also van der vart is simply an attention whore nothing to waste time on really

Another one who doesn’t read the thread.

No, Rojo was NOT selected for a World Cup best 11 by a panel of ex pros and managers from all the other nations. He was “rated” in the top 11 of that tournament by a fecking mathematical model based on goals and assists and built by Castol fecking Petrol.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
No one better for the hilarious quip than VDV.

"Tottenham are a great team that are going to give me the football opportunities that I need."
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rolaholic

Another one who doesn’t read the thread.

No, Rojo was NOT selected for a World Cup best 11 by a panel of ex pros and managers from all the other nations. He was “rated” in the top 11 of that tournament by a fecking mathematical model based on goals and assists and built by Castol fecking Petrol.
However they come up with it I couldn't care less, it's as close as an official tourney XI as you'll find being that they put it on the official FIFA WC website :lol:

Judging players off of performances in single elimination international tournaments will always be idiotic when they have wider bodies of work available for their clubs.

Also funny seeing you so hung up over 'ex-pro panel' selections yet dismissing the ex-pros and internationals who don't rate Maguire, curious

When did you do that? I must've missed it.

So the answer is no. :lol:

feck me. That was a system designed by a fecking petrol company which uses mathematical formulas which evaluate various player performance in terms of how individual actions either assist or prevent goals.

The UEFA team of the tournament is selected by a panel of ex players.

So is VDV eligible to be on that panel? :smirk:
How about Van Basten and Gullit?
Obviously. The ex pro and managers are asked to base their votes on the following:

To make their choice, they will focus on players who fulfil some or all of the following criteria:

• Exceptional skill in attack and/or defence
  • Involvement in decisive actions in attack and/or defence
  • Tactical maturity and efficiency throughout the game
  • A positive attitude with regards to UEFA's Respect campaign

Idxomer

He isn't shit, just average. Sometimes he overperforms like in the 2nd half of last season though his form in that period has been widely exaggerated.

His England performances are irrelevant especially in a tournament where they had an easy draw and didn't face any elite attacking side.

However they come up with it I couldn't care less, it's as close as an official tourney XI as you'll find being that they put it on the official FIFA WC website :lol:
You should give a feck though, one is like the Ballon d’Or, voted by ex players and managers/coaches, the other is a useless marketing gimmick from Castrol petrol that bases it’a mathematical model solely off silly criteria about involvements in goals.

RC89

No he wasn’t. He’s been solid and by far our best defender up until this season, and that brief period at the beginning of last season. He’s quite clearly a good defender, albeit with flaws and weaknesses. The idea of selling him is ridiculous. That just isn’t going to happen.
Was

RC89

So so. We sing songs about United > England obviously but I wouldn’t call it a tradition & I wouldn’t say it’s even a majority nowadays.

Nonsense.
Maybe the bias of the English pundits have got you confused because he was rubbish, is rubbish.

JB7

Maybe the bias of the English pundits have got you confused because he was rubbish, is rubbish.
Why would I need to watch the punditry when I stand behind them every week? He's been rubbish this season, but he is not rubbish, I think anyone with a basic understanding of the game rather than taking all their knowledge from FIFA 22 can see that.

Hawks2008

He's 100% right, Maguire is horrific and I pray we can con some team to giving us at least half his fee back.

RC89

Why would I need to watch the punditry when I stand behind them every week? He's been rubbish this season, but he is not rubbish, I think anyone with a basic understanding of the game rather than taking all their knowledge from FIFA 22 can see that.
I don't actually play FIFA so you're wrong on that count. He's shit, you'd be hard pressed to find a non United fan to disagree.