Van der Vaart on Maguire "He's really sh*t"

Rolaholic

I don't actually playp FIFA so you're wrong on that count. He's shit, you'd be hard pressed to find a non United fan to disagree.
Even Leicester fans don't feel it's their duty to defend him like top reds

Each one I've ever interacted with are proud they robbed us blind and feel they're better off with Soyuncu and Fofana :lol:

Will never understand fans who watched legends like Rio and Vidic fine with lowering their standards so much especially when we've had even better defenders than Harry since then like Smalling, Evans and healthy Jones

JB7

I don't actually play FIFA so you're wrong on that count. He's shit, you'd be hard pressed to find a non United fan to disagree.
You wouldn't be that hard pressed at all really. Consensus I've found amongst most is that he's having a shite time and if Varane was fit he'd be out of the team, but generally speaking he's a perfectly capable defender who just isn't worth £80m. The blanket "he's shit" is completely wrong and frankly ridiculous.
Even Leicester fans don't feel it's their duty to defend him like top reds

Each one I've ever interacted with are proud they robbed us blind and feel they're better off with Soyuncu and Fofana :lol:

Will never understand fans who watched legends like Rio and Vidic fine with lowering their standards so much especially when we've had even better defenders than Harry since then like Smalling, Evans and healthy Jones
Firstly, oh it's another gimp using "top red" as an insult & clearly misunderstanding the general use of the term. Secondly, it's odd that simply suggesting a player isn't shit makes me a supposed "top red" given I'm usually pulled up on here for criticising a different player. Third, he's a comfortably better player than all three of those. Fourth, interesting thought from the Leicester fans but quite clearly wrong given that - while I think Fofana is definitely likely to become a fantastic player - they concede more goals since Maguire left despite having a much better overall team.

DanielofLeyland

Maguire has had solid spells at United but it was mainly when the pressure was off. When United were almost flying under the radar with Solksjaer and little expectation of a title challenge he looked like the bedrock of our backline and we just needed to find him the perfect partner.

Once people began to view United as potential contenders again he seems to have bottled it. The pressure and expectation of an £80m Price tag and the captaincy have taken their toll and led to erratic performances. He is a solid defender on his day but he doesn't possess a super footballing brain and doesn't have the leadership qualities. This affects his confidence and leads to mistakes. We need bigger personalities to lead the club on the pitch and allow Maguire to play subordinate to others and just hone his craft without the added responsibility.

Nikelesh Reddy

Obviously Van der Vaart statement is over the top and I guess it’s intended to be sensational,but I have never for a second considered Maguire to be a top class central defender.Forget about world class,he’s not even top class.He’s a good Premierleague centre back who has some strengths but loads of glaring weaknesses.I actually think a club like Leicester or Everton would have been the right kind of level for him…I think it’s time we started considering other options at CB….

RC89

You wouldn't be that hard pressed at all really. Consensus I've found amongst most is that he's having a shite time and if Varane was fit he'd be out of the team, but generally speaking he's a perfectly capable defender who just isn't worth £80m. The blanket "he's shit" is completely wrong and frankly ridiculous.

Firstly, oh it's another gimp using "top red" as an insult & clearly misunderstanding the general use of the term. Secondly, it's odd that simply suggesting a player isn't shit makes me a supposed "top red" given I'm usually pulled up on here for criticising a different player. Third, he's a comfortably better player than all three of those. Fourth, interesting thought from the Leicester fans but quite clearly wrong given that - while I think Fofana is definitely likely to become a fantastic player - they concede more goals since Maguire left despite having a much better overall team.
It's really not, if he was purchased for £30m, not English and played to the standard he has over this career thus far (yes that includes his decent half season last season) the pundits and even the blind, would be saying he's shit. The £80m pricetag is just salt in the wound, which of course is no fault of his own. The fact you think he was good in his first season, is wrong and ridiculous.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's fun to make fun of Maguire, but I can't stand pundits (especially former players) who take those kind of shots to get some exposure, but it works because here we are talking about it.

mancan92

They only concede more now because they are a much more expansive team not because of maguire. Also the season before we bought maguire he was like their 4th best cb he was really poor for them that season.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He isn't shit, just average. Sometimes he overperforms like in the 2nd half of last season though his form in that period has been widely exaggerated.

His England performances are irrelevant especially in a tournament where they had an easy draw and didn't face any elite attacking side.
He's average yes, but also really expensive, which makes him "shit". If he was bought for like 20 million, nobody would care or really complain that much.