Van der Vaart on Maguire

TrustInOle

They would certainly be more mobile . Maguire has been an awful buy no one can deny it .

Ole has gotten most things right since he took over but buying Maguire and then making him Captain has been two massive errors
What a deluded post, my god.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One thing is to critize a player performance, but that statement is just plain stupid. Its offensive to Maguire and its not given as a "helpful" comment just straight hate. If youre going to critize someone like that you better be sure to have a great career yourself, which Van der Vaart doesnt have.
That's why I disagree with his statement and I would disagree with him if he was the greatest defender of all time too because that's totally irrelevant.

Nickelodeon

This is what modern world and football punditry is. You make asinine, unprovoked comments and suddenly people are talking about you. Even if he doesn't rate Maguire, which can be a fair sentiment, the way he feels the need to put down another professional is childish.

What a d*ck!

El-Manos

They would certainly be more mobile . Maguire has been an awful buy no one can deny it .

Ole has gotten most things right since he took over but buying Maguire and then making him Captain has been two massive errors
He hasn’t been great recently but calling him an “awful buy” is just cringe.

diarm

Maguire is an example of a player who through dedication and hard work, has made more of his career than his natural talent or ability perhaps would've suggested.
Van der Vaart is an example of a player who never fulfilled his natural talent or ability. I know which one of them I have more respect for - and that's before you remember one of them beat his wife.

SAFMUTD

Yeah, that's just stupid and to make it even worse he has done it at least thrice. For some reason he is butthurt and I have no idea why.
There must be some personal issue between them, anyway I think its more about Van der Vaart screaming for attention since nobody gives a feck about him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think Maguire is massively overrated but this kind of comment is crass.

TrustInOle

I think Maguire is massively overrated but this kind of comment is crass.
See, I disagree. Yes he has a slow turn of pace, not the most agile, but other than that, his other attributes are fine. The problem comes when both CB's play a high line when neither really has the acceleration if a player bursts past them, like Harry against Lucas.

He has also given us defensive solidarity, which we have lacked for years, not being able to put out a consistent back 4.

Robbie Boy

Bit of a random one, this.

Unfortunately the situation we are in is that Maguire seems to get slated for any mistake he makes, no matter how minor it is whereas VVD gets silly credit a-lot of the time for performing the most basic pieces of defending. The media are fecking obsessed with VVD and they constantly badger on about him. Maguire will constantly be compared to him because of what they both cost but we get it yeah, VVD is better.

I don't rate Maguire as a top class CB but he's come in, and along with Wan Bissaka, massively improved our defence.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One thing is to critize a player performance, but that statement is just plain stupid. Its offensive to Maguire and its not given as a "helpful" comment just straight hate. If youre going to critize someone like that you better be sure to have a great career yourself, which Van der Vaart doesnt have.
Its better than Maguires to date though...

Acquire Me

van der Vaart never fulfilled his potential. Now he talks shit about active players. That’s the definition of a loser.

SAFMUTD

Is it? Van der Vaart is labeled as a flop in both Madrid and Spurs, only got recognition at Ajax. For current Maguire's career it may be, but Maguire's career aint over and it doesnt take much to overtake a career like Van der Vaart's.

devilish

See, I disagree. Yes he has a slow turn of pace, not the most agile, but other than that, his other attributes are fine. The problem comes when both CB's play a high line when neither really has the acceleration if a player bursts past them, like Harry against Lucas.

He has also given us defensive solidarity, which we have lacked for years, not being able to put out a consistent back 4.
He’s decent but not WC and definitely not an 80m CB

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He should get on a stepping stool and say that to Harrys face

TrustInOle

He’s decent but not WC and definitely not an 80m CB
Price tag is irrelevant in my opinion. Doesn't justify ability mainly, but how much a club wants a player and how much the selling club are reluctant to let said go.

Harry will be fine and will captain United to trophies and at least a title in the future my friend. Brought a lot more positivity to the team than opposite.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Maguire has had a very positive effect on the team, his ability to use the ball and his calmness give us more control over games, to add he’s also a good defender but has weaknesses. We need to look for a partner for him to compliment his weaknesses. I’m not sure what Lindelof is. He isn’t poor but he has no real strengths.

TrustInOle

He won a bunch of shitty cups, reached one stage further at a world cup than Harry and that's about it? Not much to boast about let alone thinking you are entitled to come out with these sorts of comments. He's scum and that's without getting into his wife.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is what modern world and football punditry is. You make asinine, unprovoked comments and suddenly people are talking about you. Even if he doesn't rate Maguire, which can be a fair sentiment, the way he feels the need to put down another professional is childish.

What a d*ck!
I think what VdV is trying to say, is that Maguire himself knows that he isn't good enough and is kinda laughing at United for getting his huge salary. Still not a great take in that form, but not as bad as how it actually came out. Maybe VdV needs to work on his English a bit.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Christ Maguire is so underrated both on here and in general which is incredible considering the defenders we have had over the last few years. Does he have afew mistakes in him? Yes but over the course of the season they have been few and far between and which CB’s don’t make errors? He’s mainly been an absolute class act on and off the pitch and has stabilised our whole back line. He’s strong, powerful, wins everything in the air and on top Is very composed on the ball (miles better than Smalling). He had a poor game by his standards against Bournemouth but he’s mainly been excellent. Seems like a lot of posters are sticking to their pre-conceived views on the player. Doesn’t look glamorous so gets thrown to the dogs. Very unfair criticism.

Cassidy

Is it? Van der Vaart is labeled as a flop in both Madrid and Spurs, only got recognition at Ajax. For current Maguire's career it may be, but Maguire's career aint over and it doesnt take much to overtake a career like Van der Vaart's.
Maguire has yet to play even UCL football. I would certainly say VVD career is currently superior doesnt mean it will always be.

Cassidy

He won a bunch of shitty cups, reached one stage further at a world cup than Harry and that's about it? Not much to boast about let alone thinking you are entitled to come out with these sorts of comments. He's scum and that's without getting into his wife.
Doesnt negate my point. I think he obviously has some issue with Maguire and I dont know why so do not condone his comments.

joedirt87

I would have paid double the transfer fee and double the wages if the alternative was going through another season of the smalling/jones/bailly/rojo circus.

devilish

Price tag is irrelevant in my opinion. Doesn't justify ability mainly, but how much a club wants a player and how much the selling club are reluctant to let said go.

Harry will be fine and will captain United to trophies and at least a title in the future my friend. Brought a lot more positivity to the team than opposite.
As said, he is a decent CB but he is nowhere near to WC. We can make it work if we add the right players around him. However at that price he should be the protagonist in our defence, the one that turns a good defence into a great one. He shouldn't need a defence to be built around him

TrustInOle

As said, he is a decent CB but he is nowhere near to WC. We can make it work if we add the right players around him. However at that price he should be the protagonist in our defence, the one that turns a good defence into a great one. He shouldn't need a defence to be built around him
This season's stats suggest that is exactly what he has done though?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

WUM.

devilish

This season's stats suggest that is exactly what he has done though?
Not really. If you take away last season's stats when everything went tits up (Mou lost the dressing room, Ole came in mid way etc) then you'll notice that we conceded more goals in the EPL this season (33 goals) then in 2016-2017 (29) and in 2017-2018 (28). Our current stats are at par with Sheffield United's and 1 goal less then Leicester and Manchester City. Shitty desperately needs a CB while Leicester just lost Maguire.

TrustInOle

Not really. If you take away last season's stats when everything went tits up (Mou lost the dressing room, Ole came in mid way etc) then you'll notice that we conceded more goals in the EPL this season (33 goals) then in 2016-2017 (29) and in 2017-2018 (28). Our current stats are at par with Sheffield United's and 1 goal less then Leicester and Manchester City. Shitty desperately needs a CB while Leicester just lost Maguire.
Also worth noting, during the two seasons mentioned, we would usually have a FB's pushed in and are wingers replacing them, giving us practically a back 6 for huge portions of games, DDG was at his sublime best, probably best in the world at that time and a lott of games United couldn't even get out their own half.

We are alot more adventurous in our attacking these day meaning holes will open and we have dealt with this well. We have a solid shape now without midfield or attackers dropping back an insane amount. See the Spurs diagram of average positioning to understand.

Yes Harry may not be 'World class' but in this era, not many are, defending is a dying art and arguably, Harry would walk into everyteam in the league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Awful buy :lol:

devilish

Also worth noting, during the two seasons mentioned, we would usually have a FB's pushed in and are wingers replacing them, giving us practically a back 6 for huge portions of games, DDG was at his sublime best, probably best in the world at that time and a lott of games United couldn't even get out their own half.

We are alot more adventurous in our attacking these day meaning holes will open and we have dealt with this well. We have a solid shape now without midfield or attackers dropping back an insane amount. See the Spurs diagram of average positioning to understand.

Yes Harry may not be 'World class' but in this era, not many are, defending is a dying art and arguably, Harry would walk into everyteam in the league.
I can't think of a time when United played with 4 defensive defenders as we do now. We also tend to play with a creative CM something that went missing this season throughout most of the season. That surely have had a positive impact on our goal conceding stats.

Last edited:

meninred

McGuire obviously divides opinion. I believe we need another central defender to complement him - A quick acting agile player with good tackling.