Van der Vaart on Maguire

meninred

McGuire obviously divides opinion. I believe we need another central defender to complement him - A quick acting agile player with good tackling

To me he is not a bad defender bur rather good one but not great

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I agree but that is not his fault. Maguire's pace was well known way before he signed for the club. We know we probably over paid by £20/30m but how many people are on here saying "just pay the money"

It is better to judge players over a season rather than individual games.
Sure, I'm not judging him on individual games. I'm happy with him as a signing, though I preferred Koulibaly at the time and thought we were absolutely taken to the cleaners by Leicester. Like I say, a better all around defense and he'll look better.

Irrational.

I'm sure Harry gives a massive shit about what some Dutch no mark who failed not only at the only big club he joined, but also in the PL, thinks.

TrustInOle

I can't think of a time when United played with 4 defensive defenders as we do now. We also tend to play with a creative CM something that went missing this season throughout most of the season. That surely have had a positive impact on our goal conceding stats.
It balances the squad in my opinion, Shaw and AWB offer enough going forward that it isn't damaging our attacking output. And call me old fashioned but a defender's main attribute should be his defensive nouse. Also having your fullbacks more defensive aware offers the attackers much more freedom in tracking back and sacrificing their output.

At current time we are scoring 7 goals for every goal conceded, doesn't sound to defensive to me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It balances the squad in my opinion, Shaw and AWB offer enough going forward that it isn't damaging our attacking output. And call me old fashioned but a defender's main attribute should be his defensive nouse. Also having your fullbacks more defensive aware offers the attackers much more freedom in tracking back and sacrificing their output.

At current time we are scoring 7 goals for every goal conceded, doesn't sound to defensive to me.
The last time I checked our defence created as many assists as Digne. Add that we played Fred, McT and James in midfield and that's very defensive. Don't forget that Pogba-Bruno-Greenwood is a relative new thing

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
An easy no-nonsense performance from the captain today yet again, another 90 minutes.

No doubt this thread and those like it will be bumped in a few games time when a fast attacker beats him for pace.

He is a quality CB, no player has everything, and what he brings to the side far outweighs being a bit slow on the turn.

TrustInOle

The last time I checked our defence created as many assists as Digne. Add that we played Fred, McT and James in midfield and that's very defensive. Don't forget that Pogba-Bruno-Greenwood is a relative new thing
Not sure I am picking up your point? Why would we need assists from our defence when we have just hit 100 goals for the season?

On your comment about our midfield, do you honestly think them 3 would have played as often as they did if Pogba, Tony and Rashy weren't injured for parts of the season?

We are in fine stead, one of the best defensive records in the league, the most potent attack since lockdown without assist from defence shows it isn't needed. People just think every fullback should be Trent or Robertson going forward when the evidence is here, at our own club, that you don't.

el3mel

I haven't been Maguire's biggest fan these but these are stupid and classless comments that says more about him than about Maguire.

Nori-

Just another ex footballer who thinks they can make a name for themselves in the commentary world if they say something outlandish or cause some shock.

If Van Der Fart had put as much energy into his own career as he does talking nonsense about others, maybe he would have done well at a top club.

Eddy_JukeZ

There's criticism and then there's being a right twerp like Van der Vaart. He should learn some humility and class. Though it's probably too late.

Would love to see him have the balls to say this to Maguire in his face. Would probably run away asap after doing so.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not sure I am picking up your point? Why would we need assists from our defence when we have just hit 100 goals for the season?

On your comment about our midfield, do you honestly think them 3 would have played as often as they did if Pogba, Tony and Rashy weren't injured for parts of the season?

We are in fine stead, one of the best defensive records in the league, the most potent attack since lockdown without assist from defence shows it isn't needed. People just think every fullback should be Trent or Robertson going forward when the evidence is here, at our own club, that you don't.
Assists from defence had been instrumental since the 90s. FBs are expected to stretch defences wide creating spaces for the wingers to go inside and do damage. Anyway that's not the point. The point is that when you consider that we played with a 4 defensive defenders + Fred, McT and James in CM throughout most of the season our goal conceding stats is hardly spectacular. Its worse to what he had 2 seasons ago and 3 seasons ago + its just 1 goal better then Shitty who desperately need a CB and Leicester who have supposed missed Maguire in their team. Therefore your argument that Mcguire's contribution has been somehow reflected in our stats simply don't hold water.

The Red Thinker

Harry Maguire worked his socks off to be where he is. Is he anywhere near as talented as Van Der Vaart? No. But does Harry have a far superior mentality? Yes.

Van Der Vaart went to Madrid and did NOTHING. Nobody remembers he even played there. Just like the many nobodies who play in big clubs. Julien Faubert anyone?

Maguire went from League 1 in 2014 to England and Manchester United CB in 6 years. He's not the best in the world, but he's a fine player who with a better partner can flourish.

Rafael Van Der Faart's career can be described as just that... loose wind.

RedNed77

Its better than Maguires to date though...
Not by a great deal, it’s like two bald blokes arguing over a comb. VdV has a couple of Dutch league titles and cups and a Spanish Supercopa. If Maguire doesn’t end up topping or matching that I think we’ll all be disappointed.

hubbuh

Maguire’s a leader and a strong centre half - probably the best we’ve had in years - but he’s not in Van Dijk’s league. He wouldn’t get into other top teams.
What?! He’d walk into EVERY big team in England!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not by a great deal, it’s like two bald blokes arguing over a comb. VdV has a couple of Dutch league titles and cups and a Spanish Supercopa. If Maguire doesn’t end up topping or matching that I think we’ll all be disappointed.
Yes lets forget playing in a world cup final, winning golden boy. Hes career has been better. Of course lets see if Maguire can do better but it is currently by a great deal

Crashoutcassius

Maguire has been brilliant. Some people just don't actually watch games is my conclusion. Nobody cares if you get done once every five games if you keep clean sheets in the other four. Our record is great with De gea in terrible form

Giggsyking

Maguire’s a leader and a strong centre half - probably the best we’ve had in years - but he’s not in Van Dijk’s league. He wouldn’t get into other top teams.
Name one team in the league he wont get in to.

El Zoido

He’s made mistakes but he’s been overall a big improvement and has brought a ton of stability and leadership to our back line and team in general. We’ve conceded 6 goals in 17 games unbeaten, yet you have this bellend sticking the boot in because he let someone get past him? United fans having a go at Maguire need to sort themselves out, we can be critical on our own terms but when some Spud cnut wants to have a go we should defend our own.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Name one team in the league he wont get in to.
I said other top teams. The only top teams right now and Liverpool and City, and although he’d get into their current set ups I guarantee if you asked them would they take him as a starter they’d say they wanna buy better, especially for the money.

You all honestly think Maguire is world class? He’s been a great purchase and he’d work well alongside another world class centreback, but feck me talk about rose tinted glasses. We could and should do better - luckily for Maguire there’s another centre back spot we can upgrade on instead.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I can understand criticism but it's gotten into abuse territory a bit. Weird from VDV.

lsd

The Oracle
He’s made mistakes but he’s been overall a big improvement and has brought a ton of stability and leadership to our back line and team in general. We’ve conceded 6 goals in 17 games unbeaten, yet you have this bellend sticking the boot in because he let someone get past him? United fans having a go at Maguire need to sort themselves out, we can be critical on our own terms but when some Spud cnut wants to have a go we should defend our own.

Nothing to do with Wan Bissaka replacing Young I suppose

IRELANDUNITED

It says a lot about Van Der Vaart as a man that he would talk about someone like that, regardless of his opinion about Maguire, there's a way that people in the spotlight should speak about fellow professionals. VDV sounds like a bitter jealous hater fan, it's pathetic.

Wan

Overly harsh and no need to mention wives but we overpaid by 40m and pundits are now starting to mention it. Maguire has had a calming influence at the back but I think we could have achieved the same with Dunk or Ake who would have cost a lot less and arent as slow. Hope the club has wisened up to these ridiculous fees for british players and it seems they have started to as the prices being quoted for players like Greaish and Sancho have been slashed significantly in recent reports.
Why do people get so worked up over how much we pay for British players?

TrustInOle

Assists from defence had been instrumental since the 90s. FBs are expected to stretch defences wide creating spaces for the wingers to go inside and do damage. Anyway that's not the point. The point is that when you consider that we played with a 4 defensive defenders + Fred, McT and James in CM throughout most of the season our goal conceding stats is hardly spectacular. Its worse to what he had 2 seasons ago and 3 seasons ago + its just 1 goal better then Shitty who desperately need a CB and Leicester who have supposed missed Maguire in their team. Therefore your argument that Mcguire's contribution has been somehow reflected in our stats simply don't hold water.
And our fullbacks do stretch the play, Shaw and AWB always offer us width, it's why mason and Rashford can sit so much closer to Martial when we are in the opponent's half, but as you said, off subject.

Firstly, when has James ever played CM for us? And since when has he been a defensive player?

Also you re-using the same argument about 2 seasons ago, when comments before I showed why that's invalid as our whole team never left their half for long periods of games under Jose and we refused to attack after scoring a goal. If you can not see the defensive advantage of having 11 men behind the ball, compared to trusting your defence like we do now, or relying on DDG every game like we did under Jose and LVG, then I get where your view is coming from, it's just not right at all in my opinion.

Best to agree to disagree.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Why do people get so worked up over how much we pay for British players?

No one is worked up but as to british players being wildly overpriced, watch Maguire; the answer is self evident.

SouthPredators4

We overpaid cos it was an immediate need for a ball playing CB to instill Ole's football, ie playing from the back. He was the only available option then. End of/.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'll just break it down in terms of value of our overpaid amount vs expectation vs reality, regardless of VDV comment.

Our overpaid value: 80m
Our expectation: 55-60m worth of performance
Reality so far: 40-50m worth of performance

Depends on how you see its, 40-50m worth of performance is still better than our other CB options (Lindelof 30m, Bailey 20m, Rojo 15m, Jones 10m etc), so our defence still improve with him.

Its unfair to compare with VVD, as VVD is like Liverpool hitting jackpot, which is rare.

Liverpool paid value: 75m
Expectation: 55-60m
Reality: 120m

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

While he may have a point his incessant need to make things personal is out of line.

Not being as good as VvD isn’t embarrassing; but labouring on a Maguire & bringing in stuff from off the pitch is small time.

This is exactly why I consume punditry with a pinch of salt; it’s so agenda driven.