Van Gaal

Sylar

Subbed off Mata for a half fit Powell

Subbed off a striker cos he wanted runs in behind the spurs defence and put young up front

My captain must play

Had fellaini up front and Rooney and rvp in midfield

Phil Jones on corners

Punishing Herrera for moving out of position on our corner which he scored Vs Everton

Asked for a winger like di Maria then never used him on the wing

Stumbled upon a 433 through injuries and suspensions which was so obvious and all fans wanted (which saw the best football) but then he for some reason went for 4231 season after

There was more awful stuff as a fan than good

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

Subbed off a striker cos he wanted runs in behind the spurs defence and put young up front

My captain must play

Stumbled upon a 433 through injuries and suspensions which was so obvious and all fans wanted (which saw the best football) but then he for some reason went for 4231 season after

arthurka

This is tongue firmly placed in cheek right? If not then I want some of what you have been smoking?!
Hahaha.. This.
Broken clock and all that.
We could also start with him telling us Rooney would always play and McNair, Lowe and Blackett..
Please..

POF

He presided over one of the most disastrous squad rebuilds in the club's history. I remember his complaints about an unbalanced squad when he joined. He then spent an absolute fortune and made it much worse.

My favourite was his complaining that he didn't have any wingers. That despite selling Nani and Zaha because he wanted to play 3-5-2 and being given huge money to spend on Di Maria, Memphis and Martial.

It's telling that the summer he left the club signed Ibrahimovic and Pogba and De Gea stayed at the club. None of that would have happened if LVG stayed on as manager.

BlueHaze

The man was an absolute joke. Lost out on 4th place to City on goal difference because of his boring neanderthal football. We literally only needed a point to secure 4th away at West Ham which was our last away game of the season and we threw away a 1-2 lead and lost 3-2. I can't understand how someone could make a thread wishing this fraud should have been able to continue after failing in such a miserable way.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
THe worst thing about Van Gaal never was Van Gaal. It was always the swarm of idiots on here and twitter that would act like they'd been brainwashed by him.
Spot on.

Same for Mourinho, I'd add. We've had some dreadful disciples of both these managers on here. In hindsight, that Kinderbueno chap wasn't the worst of the lot (he was at least a bit of a nutter, like Vangle himself) - which says it all.

sp_107

All I remember is I couldn't wait for him to leave ! Apart from few games against pool, spurs it was pretty much dire and so many average signings

He could be the innovative at some stage of his career but not at UTD, only thing I give him credit is "he installed lamp posts at training ground" so players can practice long hours in winter and some trees to protect from wind ! That's it

tomaldinho1

How we dismissed him pains me so much, regardless of whether you liked him or not. Winning the FA cup and finding out from your wife that you're being sacked is about as amateur as a club can get.

He should have been laying the foundations for someone to come in and continue with some variation of his possession style, high press play. Instead Woodward sold his soul in exchange for glory and ended up with a Europa League and a glut of mediocre players on huge salaries.

Kaglish10

My captain must play

Phil Jones on corners

Punishing Herrera for moving out of position on our corner which he scored Vs Everton

Mata (apart from the Liverpool goal) and Herrera were awful most of the times, especially Herrera. In fact, Fellaini was fantastic than these two. I could recall how the inclusion of Herrera in the absence of Fellaini in the Westham United match due to Fellaini's yellow card in the previous Leicester match, cost us the top four. Herrera was just too awful and cost us the game with the lots of fouls he made, from which Westham scored. We had no one to deal with their aerial threats coupled with Herrera's awful display. It was in the same match where Noble carried him off the pitch. It was like Herrera didn't care at all despite the fact that we were fighting for the top four. It's quite funny how some people claims he loves Manutd now.

Di Maria played as a central midfielder for Madrid and that was the role that saved his season at Madrid because prior to that, he was awful on the wing for Madrid that season. Besides, Di Maria didn't want to come here in the first place. There was no way we could have pleased someone whose mind wasn't here and the burglary theft encounter was the final straw for him.

And how did you know Van Gaal put Jones on corner kicks? Jones going for our corner kicks doesnt make it a fact that Van Gaal gave him the defacto corner kicking role.

Funny how you said he stumbled upon 433 setup? You mean a top manager like Van Gaal who knew of such midfield possession style at Ajax and won the CL with such style has no Idea of 433 setup? Same way some people keep on saying Van Gaal stumbled on the idea of playing kids. Same manager that promoted the likes of Muller, Alaba, Badstuber, kroos, Iniesta and his Ajax kids that won the CL stumbled on the idea of playing kids? What about the likes of McNair, Blackett, James Reece that he utilised several times until they proved to be not good enough? Some said he was forced to play the kids due to the injuries he had and I asked, who forced him? Was a gun put on him to use Rashford? I could recall Mourinho deploying Hazard as his false 9 striker when he had some injuries rather than bother himself with Chelsea's academy kids. Van Gaal could have done same but he chose to promote Rashford out of his own will and he should be given the credit for such boldness and his trust in kids because he's done same in every clubs he has managed.

It's very hard for some people to give Van Gaal's the credit he deserves here.

Sylar

I'm not going to reply to that whole thing @Kaglish10 but the fact that you can't remember Herrera being carried off was a fa cup replay match rather than a battle for top 4 says a lot about the rest of your post

I'm glad you can recall it as you said though

Kaglish10

I'm not going to reply to that whole thing @Kaglish10 but the fact that you can't remember Herrera being carried off was a fa cup replay match rather than a battle for top 4 says a lot about the rest of your post

All I know is Herrera was awful in the two games against Westham and was carried off the pitch by Noble. That's the cold fact!

Aloysius's Back 3

Really? The fact that you make a mistake a reason to blind over the rest of his post says much about your post as does my username

Revaulx

I actually can't remember the end of Evans time here for some reason, but what you say does sound familiar.

I thought he was harsh on Kagawa, he played him as a deep laying central midfielder in a couple of pre-season matches then got rid. Not so much the sales that bugged me overall, but the complaints that he didn't have the very type of player that he sold. Was crying out for a winger that could run at defenders and pace, sold Nani and Zaha. Complained about not having a clever number 10, sold Kagawa.
Hmmm. I was never convinced by Kagawa, though there’s no doubt that the timing of Sir Alex’s departure did him no favours. You’re probably right on Nani and Zaha, especially since Memphis hardly set the world on fire when he was with us.

I was really disappointed with Evans as he’d had plenty of really good games, particularly alongside Vidić.

Sylar

All I know is Herrera was awful in the two games against Westham and was carried off the pitch by Noble. That's the cold fact!
The cold fact is lvg is one of the worst managers I've seen live at old Trafford. His teams football was boring and I dreaded going to Old Trafford. He can have all the credit for that second season

Really? The fact that you make a mistake a reason to blind over the rest of his post says much about your post as does my username
As I said I wasn't going to go over his whole post cos him bringing up stuff lvg did at other clubs doesn't matter to what he actually did at United

Lvg failed at United
And I have no issues with that
It's the fact that lvg produced some shocking football yet people want to act like he deserves more credit that he gets

He won us fa cup and fair play

Moyes and Jose get a fair amount of stick with their work in the transfer market but LVG always seems to be left off the hook.
His first transfer window,where it generally felt like we were bringing in a new player every other day,was a complete disaster.Might aswell have thrown money into the Manchester Canal and you would've come out with the same outcome.His 2nd window was just as poor.

Atleast 250 million was spent by LVG in his 2 seasons here and what did we have to show for it ? One top 4 finish and a Fa Cup,where we were given a favourable passage.
And to top it all off the football was wretched.
I enjoyed more games under Moyes than I did LVG. Blooming David Moyes !

Kaglish10

The cold fact is lvg is one of the worst managers I've seen live at old Trafford. His teams football was boring and I dreaded going to Old Trafford. He can have all the credit for that second season

As I said I wasn't going to go over his whole post cos him bringing up stuff lvg did at other clubs doesn't matter to what he actually did at United

Lvg failed at United
The cold fact is he won the FA cup and only lost out on the top four by goal difference while playing with lots of either average players such as Herrera who can't operate in a possession based midfield or the sluggish "past it" players such as Carrick, Rooney, Mata in his midfield. These are enough to show the strength of Van Gaal as a manager who got something out of average sluggish joes.

I can't even imagine Mourinho doing anything with the little quality that Van Gaal had in his team then. Same Mourinho that binned Rooney and Carrick out of his team and couldn't bank on the young unproven talents such as Martial, Rashford and Lingard in his attack. Same attack that Van Gaal used in winning the FA cup with the sluggish midfield of Carrick, Rooney and Fellaini. Nothing more to say about Van Gaal then.

Sylar

The cold fact is he won the FA cup and only lost out on the top four while playing with lots of either average players such as Herrera who can't operate in a possession based midfield or the sluggish "past it" players such as Carrick and Rooney in his midfield. These are enough to shows the strength of Van Gaal as a manager who got something out of average sluggish joes.

I can't even imagine Mourinho doing anything with the little quality that Van Gaal had in his team then. Same Mourinho that binned Rooney and Carrick out of his team and couldn't bank on the young unproven talents such as Martial, Rashford and Lingard in his attack. Same attack thay Van Gaal used in winning the FA cup with the sluggish midfield of Carrick, Rooney and Fellaini. Nothing more to say about Van Gaal then.
Yeah please don't say anything more about lvg cos he was a dark mark on United's history especially his second season

Absolutely terrible past it manager who should have retired before he came to United

United winning the fa cup wasn't because of lvg solely. Your quest to praise lvg is too funny though given lvg is the one that put Rooney into this sluggish midfield
And this average Herrera is the one that got the assist for the winning semi final goal , a player that lvg agreed to get into his team when he signed on

dove

People quickly forget how shit we were, I completely stopped loving football during that 2nd season.

Sylar

I wanted to like lvg but my gosh, going to Old Trafford was the worst experience

You hardly got goals
You hardly got any attacks
There were cheers at 75 minutes when a shot actually took place just because something happened

The most vitriol I've seen in the stadium was at home to Southampton
Terrible football and everybody just knew when charlie Austin came on that we would lose
He had januzaj as a left wing back iirc and the venom directed at lvg was quite something

The worst game however was Vs Liverpool in Europa
Stadium was hot despite being 2 nil down thanks to more lvg idiocy in the first leg
But that 1-1 before half time was a blow
However the killer was lvg subs
A rb at lb
Another Rb
And then schweinsteiger

And we needed 3 goals
Ugh

Aloysius's Back 3

Yeah please don't say anything more about lvg cos he was a dark mark on United's history especially his second season

Absolutely terrible past it manager who should have retired before he came to United

United winning the fa cup wasn't because of lvg solely. Your quest to praise lvg is too funny though given lvg is the one that put Rooney into this sluggish midfield
And this average Herrera is the one that got the assist for the winning semi final goal , a player that lvg agreed to get into his team when he signed on
Ahh yes a dark mark on United's history whilst everything before and after him has been glowing in delight.

LVG has a history of poor transfers & he did just that here.

However - he was bought here to create a team for Giggs the new manager. Do you not remember? He got rid of all the old tosh on their last feet and started replacing them with his own generally rubbish players or some younger players. He said it would take 3 years to do so and we gave up 2 years.

Just because someone wasn't successful in the terms of Manchester United fans and their search for instant glory does not mean that the manager is a failure.

We went from LVG trying to build a team for Giggs to bloody getting Jose who wanted Zlatan Ibrahimovic playing every last breath as a striker whilst everyone else was spread around him. The same with the 40 year old Matic.

The running of United is awful & the only reason @bond19821982 & @Kaglish10 are saying positives about LVG now is that it's getting more and more clear that if a manager like Ole had come in after 3 years of LVG things would have been better.
LVG in one last season found some good players & would have continued to do so in his final third year. Even more so he would have continued to breed these players in to trying to control the match by possession, position and power like he always did before asking Ole or another homegrown manager to do the flair/crispy work that LVG was never good at.

Schweinsteiger,how could I forget that brilliant LVG acquisition.It wasn't like we had a few over-the-hill players as it was but then LVG decides to bring in his fat chummy Bavarian friend Bastien along for the ride of one last major payday.

Sir Scott McToMinay

He’s the main reason why after spending hundreds of millions of pounds, our squad is still shite and full of deadwood we struggle to sell.

His transfer record is absolutely shocking, and the football was absolutely unwatchable.
Should’ve been sacked many months earlier.
Thanks for the wine and the minced pie though.

Denis79

My captain must play

Phil Jones on corners

Forgotten half of that...

Aloysius's Back 3

People quickly forget how shit we were, I completely stopped loving football during that 2nd season.
No.

It's always as it has been.

Some fans look for the long term benefits whilst some fans look for short term benefits and entertainment. We had fans slating other fans saying that these long term benefits of LVG are fake & so be it - however the same guys who wanted that quick instant cheap success find themselves back to square one again.

It's clear why we went for Jose afterwards LVG because the fans sided just like woody & had gotten tired of the way LVG was playing with his young players and his old aged favourites.
On the other side you have fans like me who couldn't give a cr*p about instant success and wanted LVG to continue building for one more year to give the job to an ex United player to manage.

We now find ourselves with Ole right after Jose which has been completely different ideologies all across 6 years now.

Aloysius's Back 3

He’s the main reason why after spending hundreds of millions of pounds, our squad is still shite and full of deadwood we struggle to sell.

His transfer record is absolutely shocking, and the football was absolutely unwatchable.
Should’ve been sacked many months earlier.
Thanks for the wine and the minced pie though.
SAF is to blame, Moyes is to Blame, LVG is to blame & Jose is to blame.

Out of those we have SAF's players, LVG players and only one Jose player arguably important left in the squad - so you are wrong.

Let me guess you are wondering what RVP & Nani could do for us now when they couldn't do it for galatasaray?

Kaglish10

Martial started the move by making a quick one two passing move with Herrera, which he returned before Martial scored his goal.

In fact, I know for a fact that we were top of the league while we had Schweisteiger and Schneiderlin in the midfield before December until Schweisteiger got injured and we had no one to play in the midfield except Herrera and Schneiderlin (Carrick was also out injured). Herrera's failure to complement Schneiderlin in the midfield was our downfall until Carrick returned from his injury lay off and saved us from our woes. Despite his ageing slow self, Carrick was still our best bet in the midfield considering Schweisteiger was out injured.

It's obviously Van Gaal's fault for banking on injury prone Schweisteiger in his midfield however he did give Herrera's chance to prove himself but he fell flat on his face and couldn't be bothered. Maybe he was just clueless in a possession based style which is still a mistery to me because he's a Basque player. The point is we had little quality under Van Gaal which was obviously Van Gaal's fault (he didn't sign Herrera though) however he got the best out of the average squad he had under him just like he got the best out of the Dutch team that won 3rd place at the world cup. With a quality squad, he would have done much more.

And why should Van Gaal not be praised for winning the FA cup with average players and unproven kids? Besides, we only lost out of the top four by just goal difference despite the average squad we had. The fact that Mourinho didn't want anything to do with such average squad is a testament to Van Gaal's strength. Even Herrera had to show his defensive prowess before Mourinho could consider him as part of his squad.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
We'd have been spared the embarrassment of having Jose Mourinho as the Manchester United Manager(and that in itself should have been a good enough reason) if we'd given LvG his third and final season as the development of the team was obvious to most of us if a little slower than some would have preferred(are we there yet/how longs me tea Mam ?), and even more so after him winning the FA Cup and how we won it, i'll say no more.

van Nistelrooy

This is one of the dumbest topics I've seen in a while.

LvG was a cancer to this club and should have been fired long ago!

He made mistake after mistake and constantly spoke to the press in riddles. Mourinho has plenty of faults, but no where near as man as LvG had.

Aloysius's Back 3

This is one of the dumbest topics I've seen in a while.

LvG was a cancer to this club and should have been fired long ago!

He made mistake after mistake and constantly spoke to the press in riddles. Mourinho has plenty of faults, but no where near as man as LvG had.
Damn right LVG was cancer because he was trying to grow the club.

Jose is just diabetes - can't feel shit around the body or the club mate.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He was right? Ive never got this fascination around having a ball playing keeper, his job is to stop the ball going in the net, he does that better than anyone in the world and i wouldnt swap him for anyone

Its a bit like saying you would prefer a 15 goal a season striker who can track back and defend really well over ronaldo
This is spot on. Every word.
But regarding LVG, i think with right players he would be different story. He is great coach and if he had right players for his style his football would be much better. It's the same story like Pep's football. It works only with right players.

tenpoless

His cock impression and funny interviews were good.
But outside of those, his sacking was justified.

His replacement wasn't much better though.

Last edited:

Charles Miller

You can fail even doing the right thing.

Van Gaal Ajax in the 90s is everything that football should be. Some other managers can win much more and still they can't build that team.

Hoboman

Boring football, average results, disastrous transfers.

Generally he was the right man in the wrong time. As was Jose. Board and senior executives incompetence, lack of strategic vision and planning, pursuit of temporary success cost the club.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He wanted to sell DDG who represent like 75% of the talent in this team. He then went on buying a list of shit players including Bastian, Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Falcao and Bastian. This guy was worse then Mou which does says something.

redIndianDevil

While his philosophy is something that I want United to play, high pressing and possession oriented football, he was too old to coach, he even said that he never took part in coaching and delegated to his assistants and his signings were just wrong for what he was trying to do.