vandeGarner

Borys

Statistics Wizard
After first semi-competitive game with van de Beek and Garner in midfield, I believe this is about time we create a thread for them à la McFred. They are, after all, our second midfield pairing option for the upcoming season as things stand.

Personally I liked the look of them when they were playing close to each other, although they had some help from Eriksen (a help badly needed from Bruno when McFred plays), they had a few nice moments to play through high press.
I worry more about their defensive game, as Rayo Vallecano cut through our midfield quite easily at times, but Rome wasn't build in a day. They will get a number of chances to prove themselves and improve - after all they are stepping in to replace 3800mins shared equally between Pogba and Matic last season.

So, what are your thoughts?
Will they take Premier League by storm? Maybe you already see them as first choice midfield duo at United? Will James take this pivot position and make it his? How many goals will Donny score from free-kicks this season?
So many questions. Try to stay positive!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Unfortunately it's more likely that neither one is good enough for United

Trophy Room

Both need to leave. Not good enough for an elite team. Won’t get close to other top teams in the world so no reason why we should put up with them. Harsh but true.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Both look like midfielders who don't want to have the ball, and when they get it, get rid of it with a short simple pass to the closest option. Every time they get it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
"How can I whinge about lack of signings some more without actually whinging about lack of signings?"

Top effort to be fair.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Both look like midfielders who don't want to have the ball, and when they get it, get rid of it with a short simple pass to the closest option. Every time they get it.
I might be wrong, but isn't that what Ten Hag likes in players, hence he made them our option B?
I mean, we usually run into trouble when defense or midfielders hold the ball for too long.

Yagami

Good post resistant
They're both not good enough, and we should (should've in Donny's case) cash in on them before their value sinks even lower.

Smores

I might be wrong, but isn't that what Ten Hag likes in players, hence he made them our option B?
I mean, we usually run into trouble when defense or midfielders hold the ball for too long.
The caf usually just rates players on dribbling ability or long range passing.

We need system players and not everyone in a system is going to be stand out. Garner has a lot to develop still but he's clearly got a good chance here.

I'm starting to doubt VDB but he did okay today. If he's happy with being a backup then fine but he's done little to deserve minutes over others.

bosnian_red

Not at all! No manager wants their midfielders to be afraid of the ball. What he likes is Frenkie, Gravenberch, or what Zidane Iqbal has shown. Its not so much that it's pass and move, it's not showing for the ball, hiding, and when it comes to them, they just give it to somebody else to do something with it. Never gonna succeed at big club like that.

dove

McFred is head and shoulders above those 2 which says a lot. We simply cannot go into the season without signing a quality midfielder.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm quite surprised by the comments to get rid of them. Guys, there's nobody else left! Although Zidane might get his share of minutes too.

"How can I whinge about lack of signings some more without actually whinging about lack of signings?"

Top effort to be fair.
Thanks. At this point I still think it's funny tbh. Will be less funny with every passing day but trying to look for positives here.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not at all! No manager wants their midfielders to be afraid of the ball. What he likes is Frenkie, Gravenberch, or what Zidane Iqbal has shown. Its not so much that it's pass and move, it's not showing for the ball, hiding, and when it comes to them, they just give it to somebody else to do something with it. Never gonna succeed at big club like that.
But they have been favoured by ETH over Zidane so far, no?

Abraxas

Not for me on the evidence of today's performance, or generally what I think of them as players.

Even if they are better than I think as individuals, it's lacking a lot of dynamism, progressive passing, ball carrying. It's a very safe pair of players that are rarely instrumental on the ball.

bosnian_red

But they have been favoured by ETH over Zidane so far, no?
Zidane is a kid breaking in, van de Beek is a senior and Garner has had plenty of senior football action and is much older. Not a fair comparison.

Every midfielder has basics that they have to do on the ball, you can't hide from it and you can't resort to the simple 5 yard pass every time. You need to progress the ball, play it to advanced players, need to show and receive the ball from the defenders. They are both capable of it, but until they show it on the pitch, they won't get regular football. You're never going to start of you hide from the ball and aren't particularly good off of it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Zidane is a kid breaking in, van de Beek is a senior and Garner has had plenty of senior football action and is much older. Not a fair comparison.

Every midfielder has basics that they have to do on the ball, you can't hide from it and you can't resort to the simple 5 yard pass every time. You need to progress the ball, play it to advanced players, need to show and receive the ball from the defenders. They are both capable of it, but until they show it on the pitch, they won't get regular football. You're never going to start of you hide from the ball and aren't particularly good off of it.
Well fair enough, I probably agree on that but still the point stands right? At this point they are favoured over Zidane, who most likely is our future rather than present. So it's a moot point he has more potential if we're speaking right here right now.

Trequarista10

Fred and De Jong will be first choice soon enough, so I doubt we'll see the Garner - Van de Beek duo often. More likely we'll see Garner and McTominay as the backup duo. Hopefully Iqbal gets some minutes in cup competitions and continues his pre season form too. Donny simply never a DM or CM, he's 3rd choice number 10.

bosnian_red

Well fair enough, I probably agree on that but still the point stands right? At this point they are favoured over Zidane, who most likely is our future rather than present. So it's a moot point he has more potential if we're speaking right here right now.
Yeah but my point is Garner and Van de Beek will be replaced if they don't do anything to earn their spot. Given the interest in FdJ, they have to earn their minutes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah but my point is Garner and Van de Beek will be replaced if they don't do anything to earn their spot. Given the interest in FdJ, they have to earn their minutes.
If fdj joins this thread will probably not be active, but as things stand they actually won't need to do much to get minutes.

Banana Republic

Garner is too passive a lot of the time.
Not proactive and not imposing himself or looking for the ball.
Sure you’ll see him make a few timely interceptions or blocks, breaking up the opponent’s play, but most of the time he tends towards being the invisible man.

CM

These portmanteaus aren't getting any better. Thankfully I don't see vandeGarner taking off.