VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The Mitrovic one with Martinez was 100% not a penalty, it was an embarrassing dive.

The Shaw push was a better shout but it wasn't like it was some unbelievable travesty it wasn't given, it definitely wasn't enough of an excuse for them to go absolutely mental when Willian was sent off.

I definitely agree with you about VAR though. It's shite. Refs are now not making decisions on the pitch and relying on VAR to correct them.
Agreed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We've all done a Willian before lets be honest... think anyone who's played has done that (or played in a game where someones done it), probably in the exact same sneaky way too.
He also accepted his fate respectfully after the ref returned from the monitor, and was even trying to calm Mitrovic down.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I mean the two instances are not remotely comparable for anyone with an iota of common sense. Mitrovic was quite aggressively confronting the referee and having to be forcibly pulled back by his own team mates. That's without even knowing what he said to him in the first place.

Reducation

Those two incidents in the Leverkusen win over Bayern are brilliant examples of VAR being used properly. Hilarious the ref booked the same player twice for diving before overturning both decisions and awarding penalties.
But that lad did dive. The first one was especially blatant.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

And I think Carrol was not carded for the scissor tackle on Eriksen
Ricardo Pereira was not given a yellow for that tackle on Felix. He was booked eventually but much, much later in the game for a different incident entirely.

Djemba-Djemba

And I think Carrol was not carded for the scissor tackle on Eriksen
Yeah, Carroll wasn't even booked for that nasty foul that injured Eriksen. He got booked for smashing into Malacia and then a 2nd booking for trying to break Casemiro's leg about 2 minutes later.

It's been about 2 months since that game and I still cannot believe the way Carroll behaved in that match. He seemed determined to hurt as many players as possible.

90 + 5min

This need to be talked about by the club and tenHag. Why is everything pushed towards so it seems that we are getting decision with us when 99% of decisions are going against us all the time. If they talked about others as much I'll wouldn't mind talking about us. But it is just ManUtd, ManUtd, ManUtd. In negative way. There is agenda against us from some people. It is so clear.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's been about 2 months since that game and I still cannot believe the way Carroll behaved in that match. He seemed determined to hurt as many players as possible.
Said it back then that he's a Geordie and was out to as much damage as possible before we faced Newcastle in the Cup final. Stupid caveman cnut.

tomaldinho1

This need to be talked about by the club and tenHag. Why is everything pushed towards so it seems that we are getting decision with us when 99% of decisions are going against us all the time. If they talked about others as much I'll wouldn't mind talking about us. But it is just ManUtd, ManUtd, ManUtd. In negative way. There is agenda against us from some people. It is so clear.
Media thrives on creating divides. VAR is great for that because it’s used so poorly.

Anyone with a brain can see the Bruno push/Mitrovic push are completely different. If we agree any ref contact is banned that’s fine and Bruno should have been sent off but it’s frustrating people are arguing as if they’re the same. Mitrovic fecking squared up the ref and shoved him then pursued him, Bruno gave a childish push as he ran round a linesman.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Just look at the BBC comments on the article for the game.

Literally every single person who's not a United fan on there is trying to somehow engineer a situation where we got away with it again. It's so obvious and we never seem to get a balanced opinion from the majority of oppo fans. The hate is real.

The only big one we've got away with this season is really that offside goal against City and even there it was their fault when they expected the ref to stop play, as they so often get decisions in their favour.

90 + 5min

Media thrives on creating divides. VAR is great for that because it’s used so poorly.

Anyone with a brain can see the Bruno push/Mitrovic push are completely different. If we agree any ref contact is banned that’s fine and Bruno should have been sent off but it’s frustrating people are arguing as if they’re the same. Mitrovic fecking squared up the ref and shoved him then pursued him, Bruno gave a childish push as he ran round a linesman.
It is as same as a car and airplane. Thing is that Fernandes is now going to have eyes on him. For wrong reasons. Agenda works like that. Every little thing will be enlarged. We know how it works when it comes to our club.

Just look at the BBC comments on the article for the game.

Literally every single person who's not a United fan on there is trying to somehow engineer a situation where we got away with it again. It's so obvious and we never seem to get a balanced opinion from the majority of oppo fans. The hate is real.

The only big one we've got away with this season is really that offside goal against City and even there it was their fault when they expected the ref to stop play, as they so often get decisions in their favour.
I agree. ManCity goal is for me offside but we have been paying that decision 10 times more with crazy decisions against us. 1 decision for and 99 decisions against. And people will talk about that one decision. Zero shame by those people including so called "experts" and "pundits".

Fr. Todd Unctious

Watch how we get fecked over even more by this going forward because of some of the bleating going on by some despite it being the correct decision. These cnuts are never happy seeing United get anything even correctly

Frank correctly called out the Levia tackle last week. Yet very little was made of it by the usual suspects but you can 100% guarantee they'd have beem screaming blue murder if it had been a United player especially Bruno or Cas

Abraxas

Not even sure why the Fernandes thing was coming up.

The linesman grabbed Fernandes first for a start, somewhere around the elbow which actually is a place where if you grab someone you'll get quite a visceral response, particularly when they don't expect it. Try it on someone you're comfortable with. Wrists, elbows, a finger are pretty good places to grab someone and get a more dramatic response, it's instinctual because those are areas that from a primal point of view we want to protect because injuries are debilitating and take the arm out of commission.

Then Fernandes gives him the limpest push in response, not very forthright or aggressive, just petulant. Was still daft and something I would tell him off for as a manager but never a red card.

Really refs and players should be keeping hands off each other. Players should be keeping hands off at all times and refs should really be intervening with body position and posture to get in the way, mainly when breaking skirmishes up. The ref might have legitimate cause to be touching players occasionally but not the reverse. So that's why I think it's proper that Mitrovic gets a decent sentence for this, because I've seen it so many times at grassroots level. Refs turning up for peanuts to get physically confronted, abused etc. It's completely the wrong view to be seeing PL players aggressively pushing refs back.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The linesman grabbed Fernandes first for a start, somewhere around the elbow which actually is a place where if you grab someone you'll get quite a visceral response, particularly when they don't expect it. Try it on someone you're comfortable with. Wrists, elbows, a finger are pretty good places to grab someone and get a more dramatic response, it's instinctual because those are areas that from a primal point of view we want to protect because injuries are debilitating and take the arm out of commission.
This is a fantastic paragraph !

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not sure I agree with all of the article but I do believe that official club twitter/instagram accounts shouldn't be posting shite like they do.

Oranges038

Meanwhile in Scotland.

Saw this last night on SSN. Some baffling decisons in here.

cyberman

Abuse is not on but referees being shit and inconsistent brings this on as well. Nobody can tell me the ref didn’t see the hand ball v Fulham but he shit the bed with the whole we want to make penalties harder to get initiative they implemented against the rules of football.
There’s no excuse for being shit in this day and age

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Abuse is not on but referees being shit and inconsistent brings this on as well. Nobody can tell me the ref didn’t see the hand ball v Fulham but he shit the bed with the whole we want to make penalties harder to get initiative they implemented against the rules of football.
Well I was watching on TV and in real-time I couldn't have said for sure that Willian handled it so I am not surprised the ref didn't either, in that scenario he gave a corner which is the correct decision in those circumstances, when you see the replay the handball is more obvious and that's when VAR did it's job, IMO, anyone saying the saw an obvious handball in real-time either has super vision or are deluding themselves

cyberman

Well I was watching on TV and in real-time I couldn't have said for sure that Willian handled it so I am not surprised the ref didn't either, in that scenario he gave a corner which is the correct decision in those circumstances, when you see the replay the handball is more obvious and that's when VAR did it's job, IMO, anyone saying the saw an obvious handball in real-time either has super vision or are deluding themselves
Ref has the perfect view, honestly it’s clearly a pen just by how he stoops and leans in alone.
Id give them leeway if it wasn’t yet another example of refs not giving us anything on the pitch. I can’t think of the last decision we got that was overturned but I can think of many that wasn’t given that VAR flat out ignored.

DavidDeSchmikes

No one is going to learn anything. There will be many chin stroking articles about how refs need help and respect, then fast forward a few weeks later and nothing will change

RyRy11

Ref has the perfect view, honestly it’s clearly a pen just by how he stoops and leans in alone.
Id give them leeway if it wasn’t yet another example of refs not giving us anything on the pitch. I can’t think of the last decision we got that was overturned but I can think of many that wasn’t given that VAR flat out ignored.
This is why people think refs are too afraid to give us decisions after the City offside. The public outcry when United are given anything isn't worth the hassle for them. Look at the amount media pundits that are moaning about one of the most blatant handballs and red cards you'll see this year, no one would be talking about it if it was Southampton vs Bournemouth.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Interesting yet inevitable. Since introducing VAR we no longer accept human error. So any bad decision has to be due to corruption. End result, even less trust in referees, making their job/life even more difficult than it was before.
What’s your thoughts on Taylor being a major outlier when it comes to cards given to United?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The whole what now?

RedDevil@84

Interesting yet inevitable. Since introducing VAR we no longer accept human error. So any bad decision has to be due to corruption. End result, even less trust in referees, making their job/life even more difficult than it was before.
Such a short sighted article. Denial of a refereeing standard problem will not make the standards better. I wonder if citizens should take a similar approach when governments make mistakes. Learn to live with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Such a short sighted article. Denial of a refereeing standard problem will not make the standards better. I wonder if citizens should take a similar approach when governments make mistakes. Learn to live with it.
The main denial I see in all of this is denial about how difficult a referee’s job is. Everyone who thinks referees are corrupt or incompetent should be forced to referee a grass roots football game. As someone who has actually done that I can assure you it’s a real eye opener.

Dansk

And here we go again, as always, any decision that helps us is scrutinized for days and everyone has to carefully examine whether or not the call was correct. Reckon it'll be another six months before we get anything from a ref again. They must be terrified, seeing how it becomes the main subject of all football-related content for days on end. Sickening.

RedDevil@84

The main denial I see in all of this is denial about how difficult a referee’s job is. Everyone who thinks referees are corrupt or incompetent should be forced to referee a grass roots football game. As someone who has actually done that I can assure you it’s a real eye opener.
I don't understand the need to link grasroots level ref to PL refs. When lower level refs are being abused, then action should be taken at that level. Protecting PL refs by forcing everyone to remain silent doesn't seem to help abuse at grassroot level.
And coming to it is a difficult job, yeah it is. Every job has its own difficulty. All one can do is demand that the compensation given is worth it.

cyberman

Ok, cool. Didn’t know about that. Seems like a sensible initiative. Not relevant to a handball decision though.
To be fair it was more of a broader point in why there is so much emotion erupting towards referees now.
it leaves penalties on the pitch being decided by different criteria than VAR. The laws about pens haven’t changed, they’ve just bypassed that by leaving a lot of pens up to VAR which automatically sets it at a higher bar.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The referee's job, especially at elite level, is nigh on impossible, virtually every player cheats in some way, whether it be diving, exaggerating contact, time-wasting, disputing decisions, pushing, pulling shirts and everything else that goes on

And then there's the microscopic examination by ex-player pundits and fans, most of whom don't understand half the rules themselves

I don't think standards have actually dropped, VAR is just highlighting stuff that used to be missed, VAR is also responsible for referee's passing the buck sometimes and because it exists the decisions have been inconsistent

IMO, if refereeing is to improve, then the players and managers need to take a long hard look at themselves, cut out the cheating and the referee's job becomes easier and their decision making will become better