VAR and Refs | General Discussion

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Any shootout experts on here? Last night Bono saved a pen and Anthony Taylor stopped the rebound with his feet at the edge of the 5 yard box. What if that ball had a backwards spin on it and was about to boomerang its way back towards goal? Should it have been retaken?

Licha M

It's telling that controversy seems to follow Anthony Taylor, wherever he's officiating.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Any shootout experts on here? Last night Bono saved a pen and Anthony Taylor stopped the rebound with his feet at the edge of the 5 yard box. What if that ball had a backwards spin on it and was about to boomerang its way back towards goal? Should it have been retaken?
Yep, I'm a shootout expert and it should have been retaken.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Shocking once again.

There is no other way to jump for a header, literally the shortest possible distance too.

Just to target the hands/arms with these handball rules.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The rule is stupid, but according to the rule it's a penalty. Correct decision.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
His hand is high...

But mainly it's pretty obvious no one wants City to win the treble...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
His hand is above is high...

But mainly it's pretty obvious no one wants City to win the treble...
Yeah, that's why they've booked Bernardo for kicking out at Shaw and haven't booked Coty for 3 counter-stopping tackles now.

justboy68

By the rules the decision was clearly correct. Just like it was in the last derby. The complaining is ridiculous. You can argue the rules themselves but they're the same for both sides and the decision was obviously correct according to the rules.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
And now Bissaka booked for that after Bernardo gets nothing for kicking Shaw. Excellent. Changes how Wan Bissaka defends now.

Ralaks

Worst decision today was that yellow wtf. Dive let alone shouldn't even have been one of he caught him like that

Idxomer

City are allowed to kick us everywhere and especially on the break and we can't touch their group of divers.

Man-United

Really? It's a clear pen, the rules about handball like that should not change. He lift is hand even!

cyberman

It's very daft.

I'd be raging the other was around
Not soft. His arms shouldn’t be that high, he isn’t challenging anyone for the ball.
That’s what done City in. You don’t have to have your arms so high in the air and he didn’t win the ball.
I’d say the same the other way around Every player should know better by now. It’s a brain fart

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Schmeichel is on point – it’s a correct decision but the rule itself is flawed.

justboy68

Thankfully the BBC studio speaking some sense. The law may be shit but the penalty is clear according to them.

Anustart89

I'm going to take a guess and guess that this decision is going to be under muuuuuuch more scrutiny than the Shaw penalty against Brighton, while both being very obvious (and easy) VAR interventions under the current rules.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Shocking once again.

There is no other way to jump for a header, literally the shortest possible distance too.

Just to target the hands/arms with these handball rules.
He jumps and his arm is in the air as part of his jumping motion. His arm then falls. So far, so natural, right?

Then, while still midair, as AWB is heading the ball, he raises his hand again. If that isn't handball, nothing is handball.

Anustart89

Not to mention that the hand goes up, then down, then back up again. I wouldn't call a natural jumping motion one where the hand goes up another time.

binary bot
City will get a pen. When there's a 'contentious' decision, despite the fact it shouldn't be, the ref will even it up at the first chance.

Bobski

The Roma pen denied in mid week, then that today instinctively makes no sense to me.

I think the handball laws are a mess, far too many soft pens given then some that appear blatant denied.

Hope we get another 5 just the same today.

Ralaks

When Shaw was forcedly pushed and thus flailed his hands, it was a clear decision for all "neutrals" but for this where Grealish is under no pressure and just flails his arms its lucky, united favorism and paid referees