VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www.leedsunited.news/news/j...fficial-told-him-as-tottenham-beat-leeds-4-3/
“It’s a foul. The fourth official told me it’s a foul and then it goes to VAR but the goal is given. What am I meant to do? Freak out like I did against Brentford?” Marsch said in his post-match press conference, as per Football London.

https://www.leedsallover.com/sky-sp...e-moment-in-leeds-uniteds-clash-at-tottenham/
Tim Sherwood explained that it was foul and they all agreed, he said: “It’s a blatant foul, all the boys have seen it.”
Jeff Stelling agreed, he said: “It certainly looked like a foul.”

cyberman

Surely that’s a red card for the player on the touch line just now? How do you get a warning / yellow card?

arnie_ni

Well that’s a totally different point. We’re talking about the incident here. Nothing to discuss. Now you’ve gone off on a tangent.
It's all linked. Are you not arguing it shouldn't be discussed because the rule clearly states its not a penalty?

Or are you saying even without the rule ot wouldn't have been a penalty anyway?

Anustart89

I didn't see it but this rule was applied against us vs arsenal was it? The player clearly played the ball with his hand when falling and the refs deemed this silly rule appropriate. So it should be up for discussion
But that was very different, because after falling over initially and having his hands there to support his fall, Cedric kept crawling forward to keep going and ended up scooping the ball away. Once you go from "supporting the body" to "crawling like a crab" then it doesn't really constitute a natural position or movement anymore.

arnie_ni

But that was very different, because after falling over initially and having his hands there to support his fall, Cedric kept crawling forward to keep going and ended up scooping the ball away. Once you go from "supporting the body" to "crawling like a crab" then it doesn't really constitute a natural position or movement anymore.
Oh i agree. But the refs took the rule to be pure black and white. Basically he read the rule to be a handball can't be given by a player on the ground totally ignoring the action said player.

Anustart89

I have a stupid question. Providing West Ham realize they are in problem and keep playing (idle possesion game) until end of half/ game. What happens? Var can only check things if there is a pause in game, right?
If play would go on until the half-time (or full-time) whistle is blown then the VAR can give a penalty anyway because the incident took part while the ball was in play. We got a handball penalty against Brighton that way. Final whistle went, then VAR gave pen, Bruno scored pen and game finished.

There was one incident a while ago where there wasn't a break in play after an obvious penalty was missed for about two-three minutes, and in the end the ref just blew up play and went to the monitor to have a look, so VAR probably told him it's an obvious pen.

Doracle

How did var not give that Wolves penalty against Arsenal? They really are shockingly bad.

SAF is the GOAT

It was near the end of the first half. Chalobah falling to the floor and putting his hand down when he lands on the floor. Ball hit his hand as he’s falling to the ground and it’s crossed in. Only got a pic.

Its not a pen

But you know damn well that if it was against us - the ref is giving a pen no doubt in my mind

Chief123

Its not a pen

But you know damn well that if it was against us - the ref is giving a pen no doubt in my mind
If it was against us, it would have been a penalty, red card, 3 match ban for bringing the game into disrepute and we would have been forced to bring on Maguire from the bench!

arnie_ni

It was offside so the penalty review was moot.
Oh as if that makes it all ok.

1 - It wasn't offside. That was a shocking decision itself, that doesn't make it any better.

2 - it was explained at half time that var checked the offside and if wasn't offside but they didn't deem it a penalty so they cant actually step in and over rule the incorrect offside.

If they thought it was a pen they would have over ruled the offside.

So again. Shocking decision.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oh as if that makes it all ok.

1 - It wasn't offside. That was a shocking decision itself, that doesn't make it any better.

2 - it was explained at half time that var checked the offside and if wasn't offside but they didn't deem it a penalty so they cant actually step in and over rule the incorrect offside.

If they thought it was a pen they would have over ruled the offside.

So again. Shocking decision.
I must've missed that. Madness. :houllier:

arnie_ni

I must've missed that. Madness. :houllier:
Your doll presenter got a explanation of them and read it out and Jamie redknapp went to town on the decision (for him).

Because they didn't deem it a pen it wasn't (I can't remember the wording she used) a game changing decision so can't over rule the offside just the same way they can't over rule all other offsides unless a goal is scored.

cyberman

I see the start of the first half, why would they overrule the offside? Were they through on goal?

Chief123

I see the start of the first half, why would they overrule the offside? Were they through on goal?
Basically the ruling was that the offside can only be overturned if it is followed by a game changing event such as a goal. Because it wasn’t, then they couldn’t intervene with the penalty decision as they felt the ref didn’t make a clear and obvious error. In summary, it was a complete shambles.

Oranges038

I have a stupid question. Providing West Ham realize they are in problem and keep playing (idle possesion game) until end of half/ game. What happens? Var can only check things if there is a pause in game, right?
Can still give it at half time or full time.

But he shouldn't even need to check that with VAR.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Basically the ruling was that the offside can only be overturned if it is followed by a game changing event such as a goal. Because it wasn’t, then they couldn’t intervene with the penalty decision as they felt the ref didn’t make a clear and obvious error. In summary, it was a complete shambles.
It’s ridiculous and ruining the game. It’s actually worse than when we didn’t have it. This clear and obvious bullshit...isn’t in itself clear and obvious. So it needs getting rid of. How about using it just for offsides, fouls leading to goals and penalties and have five impartial viewers. The decision goes with the majority. Get rid of this also ‘subjective’ nonsense. The majority of these non calls 9/10 people would give and the 1 is usually regularly contrary.

Chief123

It’s ridiculous and ruining the game. It’s actually worse than when we didn’t have it. This clear and obvious bullshit...isn’t in itself clear and obvious. So it needs getting rid of. How about using it just for offsides, fouls leading to goals and penalties and have five impartial viewers. The decision goes with the majority. Get rid of this also ‘subjective’ nonsense. The majority of these non calls 9/10 people would give and the 1 is usually regularly contrary.
I honestly don’t understand what clear and obvious error means anymore. They claimed VaR didn’t the ref made a clear and obvious error so his decision stood.

in that situation what would constitute a clear and obvious error? Defender literally didn’t get the ball and fouled the defender ffs. It couldn’t be a clearer and obvious error than that as the ref clearly thought he got the ball.

Oranges038

It was offside so the penalty review was moot.
He was called offside but he wasn't. The flag was also raised after the foul.

It's stupid quite stupid that they can rule out a penalty for an offside but can't do it the other way.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I honestly don’t understand what clear and obvious error means anymore. They claimed VaR didn’t the ref made a clear and obvious error so his decision stood.

in that situation what would constitute a clear and obvious error? Defender literally didn’t get the ball and fouled the defender ffs. It couldn’t be a clearer and obvious error than that as the ref clearly thought he got the ball.
I honestly don’t know. If it should have been a penalty, anyone with eyes can see it should have been, then the ref got it wrong.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

They themselves don't know what it means and continually have to guess what it means.

It's mind bogglingly dumb.

arnie_ni

How can a foul be not clear and obvious? No ball, all man is a foul, or he wins the ball and it isn't.

I can understand not being a clear and obvious mistake on a red vs yellow decision.

But a fouls a foul. It either is or isn't. I only think clear and obvious should come into red card decisions.

Anustart89

Here's where knowing what the referees are saying would be helpful in order to determine if they are incompetent or willingly ignoring the laws of the game.

If the ref says "I saw Saliba get the ball" and replays show that he didn't get the ball, then he has obviously made an error and the incident should be reviewed on the screen. If the referee communicates "I saw that Saliba got none of the ball but I don't think he tackled the player", then he has also obviously misjudged the incident. If the referee says "I saw Saliba not getting the ball but it felt like a 50/50" then replays also show that to be an error that is up for review. And lastly, if the ref had said "I saw that Saliba didn't get the ball and illegally tackled the Wolves player but I don't think it's a pen", then surely you ship him off to ref in the lower leagues due to lack of knowledge of the laws and/or integrity?

AFC NimbleThumb

Here's where knowing what the referees are saying would be helpful in order to determine if they are incompetent or willingly ignoring the laws of the game.

If the ref says "I saw Saliba get the ball" and replays show that he didn't get the ball, then he has obviously made an error and the incident should be reviewed on the screen. If the referee communicates "I saw that Saliba got none of the ball but I don't think he tackled the player", then he has also obviously misjudged the incident. If the referee says "I saw Saliba not getting the ball but it felt like a 50/50" then replays also show that to be an error that is up for review. And lastly, if the ref had said "I saw that Saliba didn't get the ball and illegally tackled the Wolves player but I don't think it's a pen", then surely you ship him off to ref in the lower leagues due to lack of knowledge of the laws and/or integrity?
This would also add an element of accountability. Currently referees are treated like some endangered species who can feck up with very little consequence, a few games in the EPL because the lower leagues deserve shite refereeing apparently & that’s only when they are actually held responsible for their worst mistakes.

There should be a public report after each game. Don’t make them interview but as with the NBA a report should acknowledge where & when they get things wrong.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
No one, not even MotD (not surprising, they're pretty shit anyway), once mentioning the foul on Salah twice for a penalty against Southampton. He didn't swan dive though like KdB or Kane. Two clear and obvious contacts by the defender in slow motion.

90 + 5min

This would also add an element of accountability. Currently referees are treated like some endangered species who can feck up with very little consequence, a few games in the EPL because the lower leagues deserve shite refereeing apparently & that’s only when they are actually held responsible for their worst mistakes.

There should be a public report admirer each game. Don’t make them interview but as with the NBA a report should acknowledge where & when they get things wrong.
I've been a saying this so many times and that is that I really want to see changes where referees have mics on during games. Where VAR room have mics and video on when taking decisions. We need transparency and we need referees to clarify decisions. We also need referees to do interviews after games just like managers do.

Do we need something special for this? No. It is so easy to do it. We have technology. So they can't complain about that. Otherwise, this will just continue game after game, season after season. We will stand here talking about every game and ask ourself what is going on?

90 + 5min

Is there new offside rule again? How can they flag for a non offside when we have perfectly good position to counter attack?

90 + 5min

Those decisions against us just keep coming. How is that not penalty? How? Just amazing.

acnumber9

It’s just a crutch for not making decisions. I’ve no idea how that tackle on Garnacho is not a foul.

King Kendrick

Can’t complain after the win, but it needs to
be pointed out. 3 min of stoppage time, first minute is used for Pereira head injury then sub, then the goal and celebration, and game ends with only 20 sec added on.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can’t complain after the win, but it needs to
He pointed out. 3 min of stoppage time, first minute is used for Pereira head injury then sub, then the goal and celebration, and adds on 20 sec or so
Yes! Came here to say this, 3 mins was a joke and then blowing up then. Madness.