VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

led_scholes

Is there new offside rule again? How can they flag for a non offside when we have perfectly good position to counter attack?
Yeah. That's what I thought. Hasn't the offside rule change in order to avoid these things? (and if a team does score, then they can check it with VAR).

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Compare the Sancho and Garnacho fouls to the penalty De Bruyne was given.

Something dodgy is going on behind the scenes regarding us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The Garnacho one... I sort of think it's a foul, but I can see why people don't think it is. So in that specific case I can see why VAR would side with the ref.

cyberman

He doesn’t step across Garnacho but through him. If that was his foot gong in there instead of a leg it’s a pen.
Not being strong enough is a weird excuse for Gary to make

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Have you guys not worked it out yet on penalty decisions? It’s clear to me they’ve done a behind the scenes decision to pretty much always agree with whatever the referee decided in live play. The VAR check for penalty shouts is just a bit of theatre. I’ve not seen any that we’re not given changed to penalties and none that were given changed to non-penalties.

They would say that they just set a very high bar for asking the referee to look at it on the screen, but I think this is what they have done to make it look like they are using VAR.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I was also waiting for them to look at our winning goal and try to say the ball went out of play when it first went to Garnacho out wide

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The Garnacho pen is why VAR should be there. The ref has missed the contact with the legs and presumed it’s shoulder to shoulder. When you see what VAR sees it’s a penalty all day long.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was a stonewall penalty on Garnacho, and the fact VAR didn't pick that up is a travesty. I mean we won so nobody will talk about it, and even if we lost points due to another VAR mistake, all the talk would be about how fragile the team is. However, something fishy has to be going on, no? If you look at that objectively through every other game, it is always a penalty. If that was Salah going past Maguire and Maguire stepped in between his feet without touching the ball there would be absolutely no doubt. It really grinds my gears that decisions in football still is 50% media rhetoric fuelled opinion. I still remember De Gea got clattered and the excuse was that he was too weak, this is the same, this player is too weak so he wont get the same treatment everyone else gets. It's total bullshit. Penalty all day

Idxomer

Wants to see the Garnacho one again because I only noticed the small push on him.

RedOrange

Compare the Sancho and Garnacho fouls to the penalty De Bruyne was given.

Something dodgy is going on behind the scenes regarding us.
Bruno and Ronaldo are atrocious divers, and referees don't want to be fooled. They have probably just extended this to the rest of the team.

Conor

Didn't think the Garnacho incident was a pen when they showed it again during the match, the defender gets between him and the ball and is going to win the ball after they come together, he was also facing the same direction as Garnacho during contact. He basically just muscled him by obstructing him whilst facing the same direction, they are never given.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Didn't think the Garnacho incident was a pen when they showed it again during the match, the defender gets between him and the ball and is going to win the ball after they come together, he was also facing the same direction as Garnacho during contact. He basically just muscled him by obstructing him whilst facing the same direction, they are never given.
Yeah, that’s how I saw it. The defender got his leg/body between Garnacho and the ball. Never a penalty. It was good defending.

90 + 5min

Watch their legs, Conor. Watch their legs. He is nowhere near the ball with his legs and just puts them between Garnachos legs. 100% penalty in my opinion.

RyRy11

Bruno and Ronaldo are atrocious divers, and referees don't want to be fooled. They have probably just extended this to the rest of the team.
That's why VAR is there, so they cant be fooled. Its the whole point. This country cant seem to implement it any correct way. We've had countless penalty shouts not given since Klopp moaned about our VAR decisions.

KjaAnd

Watch their legs, Conor. Watch their legs. He is nowhere near the ball with his legs and just puts them between Garnachos legs. 100% penalty in my opinion.
Completely agree. Had he just used his upper body, fine. But he actually trips Garnacho. That's a penalty every single day of the week.

Conor

It's not that I don't personally think it's worthy of a foul in a vacuum, they are just never considered fouls, if he was facing the opposite way or something and did the same then yeah, but it's just seen as a coming together usually, unless a distinct push occurs. You're never getting a pen for it.

90 + 5min

It's not that I don't personally think it's worthy of a foul in a vacuum, they are just never considered fouls, if he was facing the opposite way or something and did the same then yeah, but it's just seen as a coming together usually, unless a distinct push occurs. You're never getting a pen for it.
I understand what you mean about coming together. And I would agree if that was shoulder against shoulder. Or body against body. But when you see replay you get another picture. I find it difficult to understand how referee can point to his earplug, VAR watches it, and decide no penalty. Is this just charades for cameras and supporters? It is not first and certainly not last time we see decision go against us.

I want mics on referees and in VAR room so we can listen to what they say. I want interviews after games where officials explain main decisions. And maybe even small go-pro type cameras on referees so we can see from their point of view. Technology is there.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Ah, I see what you are saying. I will change your mind by claiming with VAR we have seen fouls given for far less, and at the start of VAR especially, these situations were replayed for quite a while to get them right. Now they just go with whatever feels less controversial. Look at that video and freeze frame 0:29 seconds in. The player tries to get his body across him and puts the foot out to protect the ball and make the claim he is in control over it, yet at the exact moment he does that, Garnacho reached the ball ahead of him and instead of Garnacho running into the defender, the attempt to protect the ball from the defender really just manifests into a tackle on Garnacho who was really in control of the ball the whole way. If he didn't touch the ball then yeah, I would agree that its not usually a foul, but he touched the ball after the tackle was made. If he didn't bring him down there, Garnacho would be a head of him. As proved by that last action of the game. Point is, it shouldn't come down to "expecting" something from a player. The clue being who had the ball before the tackle and who touched it during or after the tackle. Fill in the correct answer and you have the correct decision. They don't, they glance and make it up based on what it looks like to some.

If that happens anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul, and in the penalty box usually too, is a foul. This is a mistake, as they don't see Garnacho reaching the ball speeding past his opponent. If that was Salah, everyone would expect the defender to make a mistake in the first place and call that for what it was.

Anustart89

Yeah, that’s how I saw it. The defender got his leg/body between Garnacho and the ball. Never a penalty. It was good defending.
Sounds like you've just answered the question "Can you give me the definition of tripping someone?"

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Sounds like you've just answered the question "Can you give me the definition of tripping someone?"
He probably only watched it once then, because the defender didn't got his leg between Garnacho - and the ball, he put his leg between Garnachos legs to trip him up and Garnacho even touched the ball after that failed attempt to protect the ball. It wasn't a good bit of defending, he got done but the ref bottled it.

lysglimt

Scout
The Villa-Brighton situation was the worst I have seen in a long time - it's not even a discussion, it's a penalty 100%

OldSchoolManc

The mental gymnastics given for Garnacho being tripped up without the defender touching the ball is laughable.
It’s the equivalent of G Neville going against United just to seem impartial. He also did it yet again in this case.
He was tripped as blatantly as is possible.

acnumber9

The Garnacho one... I sort of think it's a foul, but I can see why people don't think it is. So in that specific case I can see why VAR would side with the ref.
You could blatantly tell he wanted to wait for somebody else to make the decision for him. You could see the indecision.

acnumber9

Another decision in this game which blatantly goes against the rules was the handball when we were on the break. Player slid in and it hit his supporting arm. That happens in the box and it’s not a penalty.

Fitchett

It was a stonewall penalty on Garnacho, and the fact VAR didn't pick that up is a travesty. I mean we won so nobody will talk about it, and even if we lost points due to another VAR mistake, all the talk would be about how fragile the team is. However, something fishy has to be going on, no? If you look at that objectively through every other game, it is always a penalty. If that was Salah going past Maguire and Maguire stepped in between his feet without touching the ball there would be absolutely no doubt. It really grinds my gears that decisions in football still is 50% media rhetoric fuelled opinion. I still remember De Gea got clattered and the excuse was that he was too weak, this is the same, this player is too weak so he wont get the same treatment everyone else gets. It's total bullshit. Penalty all day
Spot on. We've had very few penalties since Weetabix Teeth Klopp complained about us getting justified penalties.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He probably only watched it once then, because the defender didn't got his leg between Garnacho - and the ball, he put his leg between Garnachos legs to trip him up and Garnacho even touched the ball after that failed attempt to protect the ball. It wasn't a good bit of defending, he got done but the ref bottled it.
Yep….there’s stepping across the path of where a player is going to run, and then there’s fouling someone. Anyone with eyes can see this is the latter. How VAR can look at that and not at the very least get the ref to have a look. I doubt he saw it as it actually was. It’s getting absolutely tedious though because it’s every week.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm not even sure who was supposed to be offside. The dude that scores 3 passes before the goal?