VAR and Refs | General Discussion | Forest go into meltdown

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
amazing call by VAR. no way the VAR in England would have spotted that

SER19

amazing call by VAR. no way the VAR in England would have spotted that

They would but issue in England is that the decision would then depend on who the player was, the score in match, the context, what teams are playing and what other big calls had been given by ref to that point. Reffing by narrative

acnumber9

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
been deliberately saved by any opponent

By the time Valencia does anything of those things there’s or five Qatar players between him and the goal. It’s not subjective. It’s a blatantly incorrect decision.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Great VAR decision that shows it's working that football fans in the group chats are all calling corrupt. VAR isnt always the problem, peoples lack of understanding is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Guess my question to that is - was it clear that the Ecuador player hit it last (or at all)? Because to me that looked like goalkeeper and defender
Yep. Presumably looking through the different angles to see who made contact was why it took so long, so would be good to see the Ecuadorian definitively making contact with the ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yep. Presumably looking through the different angles to see who made contact was why it took so long, so would be good to see the Ecuadorian definitively making contact with the ball.
Definitely looks like he did on the BBC replays at half time.

By the letter of the law it's a good decision in the end.

Anustart89

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
been deliberately saved by any opponent

By the time Valencia does anything of those things there’s or five Qatar players between him and the goal. It’s not subjective. It’s a blatantly incorrect decision.
I love that you've gone to the lengths of digging up the law and quoting it here to underline how bad a decision it was, and then by the end of the post it transpires that you're not even looking at the right player :lol:

Longshanks

It's by the book the correct decision. But I have to ask what advantage did they gain from being in an offside posistion? Absolutely none, if anything it was almost a disadvantage for them.

I think if we are going to be so clinical about offside than we should probably have an addition to the rule whereby if the offside is marginal and player has gained no advantage from being offside it should be called onside.

acnumber9

I love that you've gone to the lengths of digging up the law and quoting it here to underline how bad a decision it was, and then by the end of the post it transpires that you're not even looking at the right player :lol:
It wasn’t a great deal of effort but yeah. There was confusion as to what player people thought was offside. Not helped by it not being particularly obvious who em actually headed the ball.

Anustart89

It wasn’t a great deal of effort but yeah. There was confusion as to what player people thought was offside. Not helped by it not being particularly obvious who em actually headed the ball.
Yeah, I can understand the confusion in real-time. Just thought it was a bit funny the way your post was worded.

I didn't watch the game live, so just caught the highlights which meant I could skip the wait for the VAR review and straight to the official VAR footage, which I understand live viewers had to wait a good while for.

Fitchett

So FIFA's World Cup referees are even worse than the Premier League's. That's some achievement. How on earth could both the referee and VAR not give a penalty, when Harry Maguire was wrestled to the ground 3 minutes into the England v Iran match?

Similar, but much worse, to the incident Scott McTominay was penalised for at Chelsea last month.

mono-math

So FIFA's World Cup referees are even worse than the Premier League's. That's some achievement. How on earth could both the referee and VAR not give a penalty, when Harry Maguire was wrestled to the ground 3 minutes into the England v Iran match?

Similar, but much worse, to the incident Scott McTominay was penalised for at Chelsea last month.
Not that I disagree with you, but their thinking is probably that Maguire had his arm around the Iranian player, too.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Sympathy VAR call. Not sure what's the point, 6-1 or 6-2 you still got destroyed.

redshaw

Players will have to be very careful then if such a minor shirt hold is a penalty. VAR in international tournaments has been the best in its implementation but in this WC it's being used for micro managing, trawling through looking for the slightest thing. Will it be this tedious in the knockout games, you could give 10 penalties a match with that one, very charitable.

The one thing that was clear and obvious was Maguire being bearhugged to the ground yet nothing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

I thought as much - I was sure it was in the rules and got a bit confused when Walton said they'd removed it.

What we've learned from this is that actual refs literally don't know what handball is anymore, and the person that ITV and BT employ to be their "expert" ref also doesn't know the rules.

Northstand

I can understand VAR not awarding a penalty for the blatant handball by the Forest defender, as the threshold for “clear and obvious” has apparently been raised. Hard to justify Taylor missing it in the first instance, though.

Idxomer

I can understand VAR not awarding a penalty for the blatant handball by the Forest defender, as the threshold for “clear and obvious” has apparently been raised. Hard to justify Taylor missing it in the first instance, though.
I don't understand the rules here.

His hand are beside his body but he had obviously controlled the ball with it, it didn't just hit him. It should be a penalty

RyRy11

I don't understand the rules here.

His hand are beside his body but he had obviously controlled the ball with it, it didn't just hit him. It should be a penalty
I haven't read the rule book but could it be because the ball hit his torso before his hand/arm? Feels like so many interpretations of the rule and changes have been made over the last few years that not many people actually know what is a handball anymore. I've certainly lost track.