Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Of course he did. He had both hands on the ball. That constitutes possession
Can't believe someone would actually believe that.

Alisson also had both hands on the ball when he saved Fred's shot in the second half. I assume you also think he had possession?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can't believe someone would actually believe that.

Alisson also had both hands on the ball when he saved Fred's shot in the second half. I assume you also think he had possession?
Look up what constitutes possession by a gk

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The other point on this is that VAR doesn't (Based on it's own rules) have the jurisdiction to review the incident. The ball fell to Lindelof & thus recycled into a different phase of play. I know it's going down rabbit holes in one sense, but again it's VAR being selectively used.
No, it is yet again someone not having a clue what the rule actually is. Lindelof touching the ball surrounded by Liverpool players doesn't constitute a new phase of play.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I bet it's not touching the ball with your gloves for a split second.
goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

Whether it's a split second or not doesn't matter

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

Whether it's a split second or not doesn't matter
Even with that stupid wording, I'll say Sunday's situation constitutes a save rather than having possession in that case. He never had the ball between his hands, and it doesn't make sense to define possession as "touching it with any part of the hands or arms". Anyway, pointless discussion.

montpelier

I think the silly wording is to emphasise that the GK gets more protection, if you like. It's not allowed to block him off using body contact like what happens between outfield players.

Because the GK can dive around and use his hands, he can be obstructed much more easily. He can jump much higher, he should be allowed to do that too, presumably.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
How is it a handball if the hand is sticking to the body though? I actually thought it was unfairly ruled out, but maybe I am misreading the rules.
Premier League

Handballs

Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.

The handball rule now has extra clarity because it does not consider intent by a player.

Another big change is to do with the position of a player's hand/arm.

If the ball hits a player who has made their body "unnaturally bigger" then a foul will be awarded.

IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding.

It is, however, considered natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling, so long as the arm is not extended to make the body bigger.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Unnaturally bigger seems dangerously exploitable by the officials. Needs to be more definitive.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Not PL related but why did the ref take sooooooooooo long on the PK and sending off decision last night ?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Does it matter? Leicester drawing or losing could only be good.
I'm so torn. I agree with this sentiment but I also have maddison and sonyuncu in my fantasy team. 0:0 is what the united fan/ fantasy player in me is hoping for

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
It did, nobody really seems to be contesting that, even the commentators who look for any excuse to moan about VAR
It touched both their arms (defender's arm first). Why does the defense get the advantage?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It touched both their arms (defender's arm first). Why does the defense get the advantage?
Presumably both were deemed to be accidental? In which case the defender's handball isn't a foul but the attacker's handball still rules out the goal, because that's the way the handball rule now works.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Presumably both were deemed to be accidental? In which case the defender's handball isn't a foul but the attacker's handball still rules out the goal, because that's the way the handball rule now works.
I understand this, just don't agree with it. Something wrong about penalising one player the exact thing another player is given a pass for... In the exact moment too!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not exactly a VAR issue but regarding the goal-line tech problem yesterday:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What are the chances, first game back and another technology shambles... Sums this abysmal season up.

I remember a few incidents in different competitions where it looked to me like the ball didn't actually cross the line entirely, but was given by goal line technology because the ball was within the margin of error of 0.5cm or so (of top of my head: Ronaldo goal against Atletico in CL last year iirc).

Premier league should just bin VAR and goal line technology, let's just accept football is an analogue game and we shouldn't be using digital technology with it. Key decisions have been consistently wrong this season anyway, certain teams have very obviously benefited from VAR (Spurs who have now essentially been nationalised as well with a government bailout and Liverpool who were obviously going to be champions from day one...).

It's totally ruined the season for me and have now just turned it off.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The system should clearly be flexible enough to accommodate a crowded 6-yard box. Not difficult to build in a human override for an obvious error.

I remember a few incidents in different competitions where it looked to me like the ball didn't actually cross the line entirely, but was given by goal line technology because the ball was within the margin of error of 0.5cm or so (of top of my head: Ronaldo goal against Atletico in CL last year iirc).
This one?

Comedy of errors.

Anustart89

What are the chances, first game back and another technology shambles... Sums this abysmal season up.

Premier league should just bin VAR and goal line technology, let's just accept football is an analogue game and we shouldn't be using digital technology with it. Key decisions have been consistently wrong this season anyway, certain teams have very obviously benefited from VAR (Spurs who have now essentially been nationalised as well with a government bailout and Liverpool who were obviously going to be champions from day one...).

One GLT feck-up in ten years and you're calling for them to feck it off. What a stupid take. Do you file for a divorce after one argument too?

Alright, let's go back to when refs just fecking guessed whether the ball had crossed the line or not, and if it had, whether it was inside or outside the post.

Pavl3n

I wouldn't call out on Hawk-eye, but on VAR and especially the people sitting in those little rooms. Yesterday was a clear example of how indecisive those video refs are.
It was Oliver's error - not spotting the goal, not hearing the earpiece, forgetting to charge his watch or just the Hawk-eye technology failing. Pretty much the ref should've awarded the goal, but he didn't and that's where VAR should've stepped in. What was the rule saying - clear and obvious error. Yet VAR did feck all.
Refs should be have a small screen pitch side, where they can rewatch the situation. Refs in the VAR room have the viewing angle of the cameras, ref would have those and his own view and will be able to correct himself.
The way PL has placed procedures and protocols to work with VAR is bizzare. How Germany hasn't had the amount of controversy with VAR compared to England?
It's not the technology's fault, but the people putting it into place and running it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As the hawkeye statement points out, this was the first failure like this in over 9000 games and countless incidents. Which means it has been an extremely effective use of technology by any rational standards. Wanting to get rid of GLT entirely because of that one error is one of the most stupid opinions I can imagine having about football.

If there's criticism to be directed at anyone it's the VAR Tierney. He had plenty of time to spot that something was wrong and recommend a review. Even then though, it isn't particularly surprising to me that he screwed up given it's such a unusual position to find himself in. At this point I'd imagine they've learned to trust GLT entirely, far more so then their own unreliable and subjective view of whether the ball crossed the line. We certainly don't want VAR overruling GLT on anything but the rarest of rare circumstances, after all. So he fecked up what was quite literally a once in a decade decision.

It's just one of those things really. Hawk-eye get a kick to improve their already excellent system, var/refs are taught to be aware that on extremely rare occasions something like this can go wrong and fans likely go a long time without seeing this issue arise again.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
One GLT feck-up in ten years and you're calling for them to feck it off. What a stupid take. Do you file for a divorce after one argument too?

Alright, let's go back to when refs just fecking guessed whether the ball had crossed the line or not, and if it had, whether it was inside or outside the post.
One that we have confirmed, others have been on the margin, the technology has never been perfect, there is a variable margin of error, despite it being presented as a certainty where the ball was with computer generated images every time...

It's the Lo Celso stamp that also got to me re technology in football in general, had already basically thrown the towel in on the season after that, straw that broke the camels back. Would rather just go back to full analogue, makes the bad decisions more tolerable.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I clearly remember a big deal being made out of that penalty on Fernandes that it had been checked and VAR had definitely got it wrong. Not so quick to denounce VAR in the media when Romeu gets away with a red card stamp on Greenwood?

edcunited1878

I clearly remember a big deal being made out of that penalty on Fernandes that it had been checked and VAR had definitely got it wrong. Not so quick to denounce VAR in the media when Romeu gets away with a red card stamp on Greenwood?
VAR technology hasn't been an issue, not including the Sheffield or whoever's disallowed goal because goaline tech couldn't see if the ball went over the line....it's the people using VAR and when it is actually used. They are incompetent.

Romeu's foul/stamp on Greenwood cannot be appealed for a yellow or red card because the match official and VAR official obviously didn't deem it a foul when it obviously was. That's the incompetence.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
VAR technology hasn't been an issue, not including the Sheffield or whoever's disallowed goal because goaline tech couldn't see if the ball went over the line....it's the people using VAR and when it is actually used. They are incompetent.

Romeu's foul/stamp on Greenwood cannot be appealed for a yellow or red card because the match official and VAR official obviously didn't deem it a foul when it obviously was. That's the incompetence.
It's not about appealing for a card retrospectively. The Fernandes penalty couldn't be appealed against after either, could it?

The point is MOTD made a big deal that day saying they've spoken to some referee and that it was the wrong decision. Didn't see the same scrutiny when it was against us. Tbf, it's not just us. The Kane 'penalty' and Saints penalty were made big deals too.