VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
VAR technology hasn't been an issue, not including the Sheffield or whoever's disallowed goal because goaline tech couldn't see if the ball went over the line....it's the people using VAR and when it is actually used. They are incompetent.

Romeu's foul/stamp on Greenwood cannot be appealed for a yellow or red card because the match official and VAR official obviously didn't deem it a foul when it obviously was. That's the incompetence.
You call it incompetence, but i just call it cheating. There is nothing else to call it. If I call it incompetence, what are we saying? He blinked and missed it every time? I can understand the ref might have missed it but for another to 'miss it' when you can look at it on video? That's not incompetence. He didn't even get a booking. Whoever looked at that video is a liar, a cheat and has no place in fair sport. When we say - it's incompetence say, it gives them leeway that cheats don't deserve. The guy looking at the video is a cheat.

Last edited:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
You call it incompetence, but i just call it cheating. There is nothing else to call it. If I call it incompetence, what are we saying? He blinked and missed it every time? I can understand the ref might have missed it but for another to 'miss it' when you can look at it on video? That's not incompetence. He didn't even get a booking. Whoever looked at that video is a liar, a cheat and has no place in fair sport. When we say - it's incompetence say, it gives them leeway that cheats don't deserve. The guy looking at the video is a cheat.
Quite strong words Striker10, but I pretty much agree with you. To me VAR is a welcome addition to the referee, but for it to be successful, it needs to be used correctly. In this past week we have seen quite a few decisions that have been looked at, and not acted upon. The Greenwood tackle was so late, that the ball was almost at Pogba's feet by the time Romeu caught Greenwood's leg, so I can understand why the onfield ref missed it, but to not refer the matter to the onfield ref is blatantly wrong to say the least. Is anyone actually taking note of all these VAR decisions and acting upon them?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The descisions in the Utd Palace game earlier in the season were just as bad as those in last few games. Don't remember anyone discussing the errors at all though.

Plenty of other examples as well.

Also wondering if Van Dijk would get a foul on goal yesterday earlier in the season. I think yes probably.

VAR is so bad in the premier League should be scrapped. Riley sacked, start again.

Referees need to be totally seperate from the league. That is not the case at the moment.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The descisions in the Utd Palace game earlier in the season were just as bad as those in last few games. Don't remember anyone discussing the errors at all though.

Plenty of other examples as well.

Also wondering if Van Dijk would get a foul on goal yesterday earlier in the season. I think yes probably.

VAR is so bad in the premier League should be scrapped. Riley sacked, start again.

Referees need to be totally seperate from the league. That is not the case at the moment.
Which decisions?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Which decisions?
These ones:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...on-awarded-wrong-var-decisions-premier-league

Utd palace game was long time ago, iirc Palace should have two red cards and Utd another penalty from Martial being rugby tackled as part of one of the red cards. No attempt to play the ball just pulled down. Found link:

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...-discusses-var-after-man-utd-v-crystal-palace

This is the worst referred game I can remember watching!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
These ones:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...on-awarded-wrong-var-decisions-premier-league

Utd palace game was long time ago, iirc Palace should have two red cards and Utd another penalty from Martial being rugby tackled as part of one of the red cards. No attempt to play the ball just pulled down. Found link:

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...-discusses-var-after-man-utd-v-crystal-palace

This is the worst referred game I can remember watching!
Thanks. Completely forgot these.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure how TAA got away with only a yellow yesterday. Seemed like a blatant red to me? The inconsistency is so poor.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure how TAA got away with only a yellow yesterday. Seemed like a blatant red to me? The inconsistency is so poor.
Have pretty much watched nothing since the restart so haven't seen this particular decision but I feel like its partly because the refs don't want to overrule other refs for more 'subjective' issues. Or at least that was the impression I had before the restart.

Perhaps if they could overrule their own decision by looking at the screen, there wouldn't be as many issues.

Don't think he got enough contact, kind of raked across the Arsenal player which is why I think it didn't go to VAR. Wouldn't have been surprised to see a red but think Nketiah's vs Leicester was much more clear as he just drove his studs into the plant foot of the defender.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Have pretty much watched nothing since the restart so hasn't seen this particular decision but I feel like its partly because the refs don't want to overrule other refs for more 'subjective' issues. Or at least that was the impression I had before the restart.

Perhaps if they could overrule their own decision by looking at the screen, there wouldn't be as many issues.
That's the Jose factor for you.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That's the Jose factor for you.
:D Ha, perhaps. Though I was surprised to be told we'd be 4th in a table since Jose took over, the overall feeling towards him is quite negative from many.

In all honesty, just feel with how things have been at the hospital, I've kind of lost my appetite for football and other things like that at the moment. Almost all spare time now is spent with the family or doing something to relax. Or.....debating politics on the CE forum for some reason....

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Have pretty much watched nothing since the restart so haven't seen this particular decision but I feel like its partly because the refs don't want to overrule other refs for more 'subjective' issues. Or at least that was the impression I had before the restart.

Yeah I think if they removed the external '2nd ref' and let the referee on the field check his monitor for penalties, red cards etc when he's not sure then it'd all be simpler.
Don't think he got enough contact, kind of raked across the Arsenal player which is why I think it didn't go to VAR. Wouldn't have been surprised to see a red but think Nketiah's vs Leicester was much more clear as he just drove his studs into the plant foot of the defender.
It seemed like it was enough to give a red when I first saw it. There was another one where nothing was given for something similar as well in another game.