VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kearnkoff69

:lol: 7 alerts in the span of 30 seconds. Well played, lads. See my follow-up post for clarification.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Two good calls (or non-calls) today in my humble opinion. Still don't like its use in cases of tiny tiny tiny offsides though.

Andersons Dietician

Being in a natural position makes zero difference. If it touches his hand it's a handball.
What’s all this rubbish about silhouettes and so on then. Also just last week there was a game where the ball hit a hand and nothing was given so there clearly isn’t a “it touches a hand rule it’s a foul” discretion is still used.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Tottenham were celbrating loads when that goal was disallowed.

VAR is a double-edged sword. What it takes away in terms of immediacy for one team, it adds in term of hopes for the other team.
Great, so now goals get chalked off left right and centre we can start celebrating non goals. Love it. And have VAR chants and all kinds of fun

Rajma

I thought it will have to be clear and obvious error and not something that people can see only from nth reply?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It’s the delay.
No one in this thread will convince me that people will start reigning in or holding a real celebration before the VAR gives the all clear on a goal. Simple as that.
That’s it isn’t it, end of the day the decision as per the law was fine. It’s just that the emotion of it is kind of ruined I guess.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course.

I still think they should give the ref a mic like they do in Rugby and a bunch of other sports. My only complaint with VAR in that situation was that I had no clue wtf was going on.
Same. The rule id fecking crazy, the whole "accidental" aspect of it not being considered is extremely stupid for me.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
The handball decision is absolutely correct by the new laws of the game.

However, big questions have to be asked of the ref in charge of VAR for the penalty which wasn't given in the first half.

PoTMS

What’s all this rubbish about silhouettes and so on then. Also just last week there was a game where the ball hit a hand and nothing was given so there clearly isn’t a “it touches a hand rule it’s a foul” discretion is still used.
The rule is clear. Any intentional or unintentional handball directly leading to a goal is ruled out. That's not on VAR.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Same. The rule id fecking crazy, the whole "accidental" aspect of it not being considered is extremely stupid for me.
Can kind of get it though. In this case it’s black and white but I can understand in judgemental situations it would cause problems.

Stadjer

I thought it will have to be clear and obvious error and not something that people can see only from nth reply?
You thought wrong. Every goal will be checked by the var even if there is no chance for there to be an error. Goal equals var check.

Jev

Besides the VAR system being broken (delay is obviously way too long), the new handball rule is a joke. There should be fewer handball calls, not more.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nope. Under the new handball rules if a goal is scored/created via handball, even if the handball is accidental, it is an offence. Once it touches the hand it gets disallowed, no discretion.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What a disaster of decision. Ball grazing a hand is not handball. That maybe on the rules but it's stupid.
Because of that hand ball went to goalscorer. I don't understand why people so often call "he didn't mean it" argument?
"You didn't want to play with your hand? No? Ok then, all is good then". "Ah, you didn't want to kick him, you just missed the ball? Ok then, no card for you"

Kostur

海尔的老板
Besides the VAR system being broken (delay is obviously way too long), the new handball rule is a joke. There should be fewer handball calls, not more.
We should cut players' hands off to avoid it imo, from the elbow upwards, they're getting paid plenty so I'm sure they can manage.

T_Model101

Tbf football is a game of very few goals, so I'm coming around to the idea that every single one needs to be checked to see if it's totally legal
There's too much at stake not to

Castia

Weird as feck rules this year.

Uncontested drop balls, goal kicks with players stood in the area, stoppage when the ball hits the ref and now this one any sort of handball that leads to a goal is automatically cancelled.

They were yellow carding players for not exiting the pitch at the nearest point last week yet didn’t give a shit today.

AlwaysRed66

I don't support VAR for other reasons, but this was nothing to do with VAR & in fact the correct call according to the rules introduced this season. I just wonder how many of the complainers everywhere are supporters of VAR, which the majority seem to be. Can't have it both ways. You either support it or you don't, not just when it suits you.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
As long as VAR keeps screwing City over, I'm not complaining.

mancan92

Guys it's not very hard. The rule is any goal resulting in a handball of any kind accidental or not is ruled out.

It's not VARs fault it came off the players hand.

Andersons Dietician

Nope. Under the new handball rules if a goal is scored/created via handball, even if the handball is accidental, it is an offence. Once it touches the hand it gets disallowed, no discretion.
That seems like just an advantage to defenders as the incident last week it was a penalty check and the ball cleary hits the hand but it was ruled as accidental and nothing given. So if the rule is only for goals then sorry but that’s a stupid rule. Understandably if it’s a Maradona incident or someone has generally made a hand movement to gain an advantage that should be disallowed or a pen given. Not a decision like today, not unless they are going to enforce it the other way.
It’s a shambles.

Add in City and Laporte should have had two penalties if VAR was doing it’s job and we are being that pernickety.

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm sorry, getting more correct decsions is simply too high a price to pay for sucking the emotion out of the game at that moment in time. Give me the old system any day of the week.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The issue isn't var, its the rule changes that have come with it. The any touch of an arm is hand ball is shite. And the offside rule should go back to clear daylight to be offside. Still factual but will rule out less goals.

That city goal shouldn't have been ruled out.
So, cheating or to say better, undeserved goal by 5,10 cm is ok then? And what would be clear daylight term in rules? 0.5 m? 1m?

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Laporte was dragged down by his neck with two hands from Lamela and they didn't even look at it. VAR is here, at the cost of football.

Drainy

I forgot about VAR and rage quit the stream when city scored :lol:

Only realised something was up when I saw the Bluemoon thread bumped