VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johan07

You could amend the rules to have a margin of tolerance for offside. Imo decisions about a few centimeters give or take were never the purpose of the offside rule.
But that wont work either. If you introduce a ”leeway”of say a feet or even centimeters, you will just have moved the goalposts and the argument to another baseline.
It actually makes complete sense to have it like it is now if we accept that VAR should be there in the first place.

RyRy11

It should be feet. Denying goals because your elbow is millimetres off seems ridiculous. I’d be livid if that was given against us tomorrow.
But that’s the rule, it always has been just now we’ve eliminated human error

El Zoido

Another correct decision though. What are you gonna do? Imagine losing the league title because a goalkeeper saves a penalty off his line and there’s no option to review.

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
For a while I have said the same thing about close offsides calls. I think the bar for offsides during VAR should be that they check the frame chosen as the moment the ball is struck as well as the one before and after. If the player is onsides in any of those three frames it is onside.

NYAS

I can’t say I disagree with any of the decisions made today (including the re-take of the penalty) but boy is this going to be fun

ForestRGoinUp

But that wont work either. If you introduce a ”leeway”of say a feet or even centimeters, you will just have moved the goalposts and the argument to another baseline.
It actually makes complete sense to have it like it is now if we accept that VAR should be there in the first place.
It only makes sense if you want to destroy the sport. TV subscriptions will be canceled or never purchased.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
So this is predicting the flight of a ball? Thats not the same as a yes or no answer?
The point is that they have built a degree of margin of error into the system because if LBWs were given to the nearest centimetre or millimetre then it's not in the spirit of the game.

Similarly, in my view, it's not in the spirit of the game for offsides to be given over such marginal distances. The other VAR decision that has just been given, with the keeper coming miles off his line for a penalty, I'm 100% in favour of being given, because he's cheated, done so deliberately, and gained an unfair advantage.

Overall, I'm pro-VAR, but it has to be implemented with some common sense. In my view, it's not common sense if you're looking at every single goal, and then ruling them out because a player was so marginally offside that it is literally impossible to see it with the naked eye.

cyberman

The point is that they have built a degree of margin of error into the system because if LBWs were given to the nearest centimetre or millimetre then it's not in the spirit of the game.

Similarly, in my view, it's not in the spirit of the game for offsides to be given over such marginal distances. The other VAR decision that has just been given, with the keeper coming miles off his line for a penalty, I'm 100% in favour of being given, because he's cheated, done so deliberately, and gained an unfair advantage.

Overall, I'm pro-VAR, but it has to be implemented with some common sense. In my view, it's not common sense if you're looking at every single goal, and then ruling them out because a player was so marginally offside that it is literally impossible to see it with the naked eye.
But cricket can't combat a drizzle so lets not go too mad about a different sport

El Zoido

For a while I have said the same thing about close offsides calls. I think the bar for offsides during VAR should be that they check the frame chosen as the moment the ball is struck as well as the one before and after. If the player is onsides in any of those three frames it is onside.
Fair point, and VAR is new so this is something they can consider going forward. It’s going to take a little time to refine the system.

Reddy Rederson

Still prefer my way of doing it, where managers get to challenge a ref decision a certain number of times per game. This checking every little detail constantly is kinda shit.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Not even sure it was off mate.

Thats also why we need transparency. At least in NFL they explain what they've done. Would also minimize tiresome time spent on tv debates afterwards
The NFL model is brilliant but that's been honed over many years and with the game having so many natural breaks, it has the time to explain everything

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
But cricket can't combat a drizzle so lets not go too mad about a different sport
Well, I'm just giving an example. In my view, decision-making should always be in the spirit of the game. And, in my opinion, it's not in the spirit of the game to give someone offside because their finger is marginally offside, even if you have the technology to do it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The offside thing is the only thing I have an issue with, there should be a 5cm tolerance or something.
Aren't we going to have the same issue when a player is half a centre beyond it though? I think the offside rule as a whole needs looking at.

Johan07

The offside thing is the only thing I have an issue with, there should be a 5cm tolerance or something.
So you want to change the offside rule to its OK to be 5 cm ”offside”? Because that is what you are saying. VAR will still rule out goals that are 5,5 cms offside and people will moan over that.
It does not make sense.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Completely ludicrous calls on the Jesus 2nd and Aguero pen

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
There is no longer a point in celebrating a Premier League goal. That's what VAR has brought us.

Pughnichi

But you'd happy to have Chelsea have their goal disallowed in that manner no ?
Well judging by my annoyance that city had it disallowed...no. I wouldn’t

All for us winning but that just seems ridiculous to me

Thunderhead

Supports
City
So you want to change the offside rule to its OK to be 5 cm ”offside”? Because that is what you are saying. VAR will still rule out goals that are 5,5 cms offside and people will moan over that.
It does not make sense.

It's hard to see which frame that shows when the ball is played, I'd argue that both city goals that went to var were wrong when the ball was played

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What's wrong with the Aguero pen ? Encroachment is prohibited, players have been warned, yet it didn't prevent dumb Rice from doing it.
A- it played no part in Aguero missing
B- Rice encroached again when it was retaken even if it was less obvious

Bearded One

VAR is not flawless. Its embarrasing that City won because of an offside goal by Sterling. Before then it was anyone's game. Two Norwich potential opportunities were wrongly flagged offside yesterday so no-VAR isn't the solution either.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Thing is the fairest line to draw is at offside or not. 5 cm tolerance would add subjectivity with some goals accepted and some refused in similar circumstances.

If VAR can clearly show the offside it should be sanctioned. The margin of error where it's impossible to decide is enough.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Shouldn't City's 5th goal have been checked for the foul on the West Ham guy in the build up?

Or was it checked and they thought it wasn't a foul?