VAR Decisions - PL 19/20 Season

Are you in favour of VAR in the PL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jev

I don't support VAR for other reasons, but this was nothing to do with VAR & in fact the correct call according to the rules introduced this season. I just wonder how many of the complainers everywhere are supporters of VAR, which the majority seem to be. Can't have it both ways. You either support it or you don't, not just when it suits you.
One of the big issues for me, besides the delays making it unfeasible at the moment, is that it was originally meant to be used for clear and obvious errors, not something you need to see four or five times in slow-motion without being entirely convinced.

RedIke

I actually don't have a problem with the new rule. That ball went directly to a attacking player because it hit a hand. It happened last week. It's going to happen again next week. VAR strikes again. And got it right.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
It was a correct decision, but I think it was not clear and obvious enough to make that call. To be honest I would be furious if that happened to my team.

Also, it becomes more and more difficult to really celebrate goals because people are afraid of it turned back by VAR. This will even increase when people get more used to it. Having said that, I am still pro VAR, but I think it should be used on much less occasions and just interfere to avoid big injustice.

Hulksmash

So Var ist getting flamed for being correct?

What is this bullshit?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'm more amazed VAR wasn't used for that rugby tackle in the first half tbh.

PoTMS

It was a correct decision, but I think it was not clear and obvious enough to make that call. To be honest I would be furious if that happened to my team.

Also, it becomes more and more difficult to really celebrate goals because people are afraid of it turned back by VAR. This will even increase when people get more used to it. Having said that, I am still pro VAR, but I think it should be used on much less occasions and just interfere to avoid big injustice.
How much more clear and obvious does it have to be? It touches Laporte's hand.

Dante

Average bang
Great, so now goals get chalked off left right and centre we can start celebrating non goals. Love it. And have VAR chants and all kinds of fun
In the olden days:

Ball goes into the net. The attacking team celebrates 0 seconds later.

In modern football:

Ball goes in the net. The attacking team are full of hope and expectation for 15 seconds. The defending team are full of hope and expectation for 15 seconds. Then one of the two teams celebrates.

Nothing is really taken away. There's just the addition of extra drama, extra hope, and a bigger buildup before the final release of elation.

In terms of joy and entertainment and talking points, today's VAR decision has produced a net positive result for the game.

The spectacle has been improved when you take into account more than just the side that's penalised. You also need to consider the side that benefits as well as the neutals who have something new to look out for.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I actually don't have a problem with the new rule. That ball went directly to a attacking player because it hit a hand. It happened last week. It's going to happen again next week. VAR strikes again. And got it right.
^
VAR worked perfectly in that Jesus goal.

Renegade

Imagine the uproar from spurs fans if that goal stood. VAR credibility would be finished.

bleedred

The handball decision is absolutely correct by the new laws of the game.

However, big questions have to be asked of the ref in charge of VAR for the penalty which wasn't given in the first half.
It’s ridiculous, because out of the two, the first half one was more “clear and obvious”.

pacifictheme

So, cheating or to say better, undeserved goal by 5,10 cm is ok then? And what would be clear daylight term in rules? 0.5 m? 1m?
Well its the inverse of the rule right now. Instead of any part they can score with, the rule would be every part they can score with.

Not cheating. Just a tweak.

ash_86

Like everything decisions will cancel it out for all teams by end of the season. Every team is going to get goals pulled back.

Summit

Michael Oliver didn't refer much to VAR, but every goal is mandated to be reviewed.
Oliver signalled to the players in the game that nothing has come through on his ear piece from VAR about the incident.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
For those against VAR,

stop living in the fecking stone age ffs

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In the olden days:

Ball goes into the net. The attacking team celebrates 0 seconds later.

In modern football:

Ball goes in the net. The attacking team are full of hope and expectation for 15 seconds. The defending team are full of hope and expectation for 15 seconds. Then one of the two teams celebrates.

Nothing is really taken away. There's just the addition of extra drama, extra hope, and a bigger buildup before the final release of elation.

In terms of joy and entertainment and talking points, today's VAR decision has produced a net positive result for the game.

The spectacle has been improved when you take into account more than just the side that's penalised. You also need to consider the side that benefits as well as the neutals who have something new to look out for.
That’s just it, I enjoyed the 0 second wait to burst into celebration. Not having to wait 15+ seconds to celebrate. Just different opinions and different outlook on the game I guess

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
How much more clear and obvious does it have to be? It touches Laporte's hand.
Thank you, my fault. I had watched the replay just once and did not realize that the ball went from Laporte´s arm directly to Jesus. With the new handball rules it was a very obvious situation then.

Summit

It is fecking wank.

Anything that makes the match day experience worse is a joke. It’ll be proven in the long run.
Yeah but Obertan made the match day experience worse and you liked him, so?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If that handball was clear and obvious how was grabbing someones neck not clear and obvious? https://www.clippituser.tv/c/lwpepp
Because of the way the rules work.

The handball rule is very clear. Once it touches the hand, it's a handball. So not giving the handball was immediately a clear and obvious error. It was an objective call rather than a subjective one.

Whereas pulling and dragging at corner kicks is an area where we know referees exercise subjectivity and discretion, which then makes it harder for VAR to state that the referee had definitely made a mistake.

AlwaysRed66

One of the big issues for me, besides the delays making it unfeasible at the moment, is that it was originally meant to be used for clear and obvious errors, not something you need to see four or five times in slow-motion without being entirely convinced.
I agree with you, which is why I don't support VAR. Penalty decisions regarding handball & fouls rely on the interpretation of someone, which in most cases people will always disagree with, as many of the cases are so minor, & should be left to the referee unless clearly wrong.

What people are complaining about today is VAR being used in Man Cities late goal, & disallowed because a city play handballed it on the way through to Jesus. This rule was brought in at the beginning of the season, & stated that any handball involved in the build up to the goal, whether accidental or not, would be disallowed. All players & managers, unless completely thick, know this, & what will happen. The Wolves players & manager complaining last week, plus the Man City ones should be dealt with severely by the authorities for their childish tantrums, & perhaps future idiots will keep their mouths shuts.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The best thing about VAR is when players look like prime pricks for their dumb arse celebrations.

Happened last year too.
The apps have got to hold off on sending updates with goals on too!

I saw the 3-2 come through, and thought , you dastards, but take that Liverpool.

And then 2 mins later the correction! Rubbish.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Someone from the FA needs to come out and explain why VAR chooses to disallow a goal at one end and chooses to ignore a penalty at the other.

And I mean it NEEDS someone to explain this. Otherwise what we have now is a guy sitting in a room deciding who he wants to win the game