VAR - Not the hero we want, the one we need

Arthur Friedenreich

It'll get quicker and I grew up watching football and have no problem with it.
Maybe because apparently Rugby is part of your sport formation??
When you compare the FUNDAMENTAL NATURE of football with other collective sports, dont you agree that there's a difference in the dynamics?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
:rolleyes: Yes, VAR which will reduce errors and prevent teams from getting robbed will ruin the game.

Some of you need to have a word with yourself.

haram

Terrible.

What happens if there is an offside in the build up to a goal? The ball stays in for a minute after the incident and the team scores. Do we cancel the goal and give a freekick for offside?

Stopping the game like this every 2 minutes is fecking shite.

Red_Orchestra

It was okay. The 2nd Chile goal before half-time was bullshet, never an offside. Their second goal in the 2nd half was called offside by the linesman but was saved and corrected by VAR, they got really lucky the VAR was there.

I kind of have mixed feelings about it. The ref should be able to view the replay on the big screen or on a tablet and the make the final call.

None the less, Stoppage time will definitely become an issue. Atleast 7 - 10 minutes of stoppage time after every half?

Theres a long road ahead of VAR to become perfect.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
To make sure everything is super accurate, why not have a panel review a match after it's finished and fans can be alerted if their team has been awarded a win or not via a text message as they drive home from the ground.

I can only see hipsters having a problem with this.
:lol:

Sarcasm doesn't usually translate well through text, but I liked that.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
In the end, referees simply have not kept pace with the evolution & speed of the game - they are routinely getting décisions wrong so VAR, among other technologies is bound to correct erroneous and game changing décisions. As for offside calls, for me, I never had issue with the close calls that are done in error when advantage is given to the attacker and we're talking about the slimmest of margins. It's the egregious ones, regerttably, that VAR will have the most impact upon because refs are so poor. We've already seen that the shenanigans that go on in the box has not been helped by an extra assistant so in the future perhaps it will/should be all electronic

Akshay

Staff
Like others have said good idea but poor implementation. If it was up to me, I'd use VAR sparsely in game changing conditions e.g goals, offsides, penalties.

Each team would have 2 or 3 VAR challenges and, similar to tennis, if they get one wrong, they're down a challenge. To prevent misuse, maybe the offending team loses 2 challenges for a frivolous appeal.

If there is very little in it, the VAR should advise the ref that it's too close to call and that the match ref should make the final decision. Similar to NFL, there must be indisputable evidence for a decision to be overturned.

As far as how long it takes to make a decision, I'm sore that can also be improved. Rugby, tennis and cricket have shown decisions can be made very quickly. Given time, football may be the same.

At the end of the day, VAR will make the game better just like goal line technology did. It just has to be used correctly.
Yeah I agree with all this. Give the teams each 1 challenge per half or something. It'll mean that everything unchallenged will go fluidly plus its more exciting when a team does decide to challenge. Creates a bit of drama to make the wait tolerable. I really don't know why they've implemented it like this when every sport does it differently.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have to admit it was slightly strange watching Chile players stand about waiting to see if they could celebrate their second goal.

Somehow VAR needs to become quicker. The goal line tech is quick. The ref gets the beep from the sensor and makes his judgment. VAR as it's been trialled to date needs to speed up. Maybe we need more cameras or more computer input? Like have a computer that can analyse the pictures in seconds and beep the ref if there's an offside?

PoTMS

You could maybe even have three refs looking at it. If all three come to a unanimous decision, then VAR should overrule ref's decision. Otherwise, the final decision lies with the match ref.

R'hllor

Who needs VAR,flow of the game and celebration is way more important.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't see the interruption being a problem. When the video referee was introduced in to Rugby League, there was a bit of awkwardness when tries were scored at first, but the transition became a lot smoother. Now, you really can't imagine RL without it. It is integral to the sport. I'm sure with football, it will be the same.

In the long term, correct decisions are the most important. Points and titles are decided by these decisions. But football just can't win, whatever it does. There is going to be opposition to technology in favour of the game's natural flow, just as there will be many complaints that football is still in the dark ages until technology is brought in to bring football inline with other top level sports. The game is faster than ever, and referees are under tremendous pressure as more and more players are trying to con them - and succeeding! Technology is a positive, and it will take time to integrate, but football will get there, I am certain.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't see the interruption being a problem. When the video referee was introduced in to Rugby League, there was a bit of awkwardness when tries were scored at first, but the transition became a lot smoother. Now, you really can't imagine RL without it. It is integral to the sport. I'm sure with football, it will be the same.

In the long term, correct decisions are the most important. Points and titles are decided by these decisions. But football just can't win, whatever it does. There is going to be opposition to technology in favour of the game's natural flow, just as there will be many complaints that football is still in the dark ages until technology is brought in to bring football inline with other top level sports. The game is faster than ever, and referees are under tremendous pressure as more and more players are trying to con them - and succeeding! Technology is a positive, and it will take time to integrate, but football will get there, I am certain.
I'm sorry but I don't think I'll ever be able to take it. It was very frustrating to watch yesterday, but if in the last Euros I have to wait a minute before knowing if Éder's goal was valid or not I might have actually died. It's torture. I don't understand how fans are able to do it in rugby either.

I think it's possible to find a nice balance. If VAR is only used for red cards, penalties, etc. and it stops being used for goals things will be fine. For offside goals, simply have a team of 3 or 5 refs watching on a TV and they can vote and automatically send their decision to the ref on the pitch, if they manage to send that information in a couple of seconds it will be perfect. It won't compromise the fans' enjoyment and the refs will get the right decision a lot more often.

Pavl3n

Terrible.

What happens if there is an offside in the build up to a goal? The ball stays in for a minute after the incident and the team scores. Do we cancel the goal and give a freekick for offside?

Stopping the game like this every 2 minutes is fecking shite.
What made me impression is that close calls are not being made and play goes on until there's a goal and then it's reviewed, unless it's an obvious call.
What got me wondering was the referee raising his flag for Chile's second goal. It was clear as daylight there was no offside.

Rista

I'm for video technology but only if it was somehow implemented in a way it doesn't disrupt the flow of the game and is actually fair and useful. This current implementation is a bit of a joke really. What concerns me is that over time, referees are going to rely on technology more and more and end up using it as a crutch. So for any even remotely doubtful situation they will wave play on and then see what happens on video replay destroying the flow of the game. If there was an actual technology like the goal line tech but for offsides, we wouldn't need video replays at all IMO.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To make sure everything is super accurate, why not have a panel review a match after it's finished and fans can be alerted if their team has been awarded a win or not via a text message as they drive home from the ground.

I can only see hipsters having a problem with this.
:lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Poor refereeing tends to be fairly distributed. At least I've never seen any evidence it isn't. So, the team getting robbed of a win will probably get a win handed to 'em down the line to balance it all out.

Do what you may to improve the general standard of refereeing, sure, that's common sense. But I get the impression that some people demand perfection – i.e. they consider it an outrage that there's any human error involved at all.

If you can implement a system which calls offsides automatically, for instance, I'd have no issue with that – clear improvement, and not a call which takes much judgment on the ref's part to begin with, it's mainly a question of being in the correct position and using your eyes, so replacing a fallible official with VAR there makes perfect sense. But it has to be smooth – as others have correctly pointed out, you can't have a system that takes a minute to reach a verdict, that would be insanely annoying in the long run.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If you like rugby you can't help but be surprised to hear straight-faced people moaning about the death of the game.

There'll still be moaning so long as we have holes in our arses, mind, but a bit of video reffing will not kill the sport by any means.

Lyricist

Anyone got a gif of this latest VAR situation? It seemed like the wrong call as the extended arm clearly deflected the ball?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Anyone got a gif of this latest VAR situation? It seemed like the wrong call as the extended arm clearly deflected the ball?

There have been plenty of wrong decisions with the use of technology in the Club World Cup and U20 World Cup by the way. The outrage will be even bigger once the ref misses something on video in an important match

marlowe78

The thing I'm wondering about - why is it still in the early stages yet being used in a very prolific tournament? Should they not have spent a long period of time developing the system in lower profile games, say friendlies or matches between two small countries (e.g. Cyprus vs. Gibraltar or that kind of match, no offence to them). Unless they've done that already.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Long overdue. Only the football hipsters will have any complaints.
Agreed.
Finally, we shall see an end to silly decisions and tbf, even referees will love having the video ref as a backup, in case they are not sure of a decision.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Who needs VAR,flow of the game and celebration is way more important.
Hehehe. yep.
There will always be dinosaurs in all walks of life, who will resist change.
But, like all other sports which are evolving, football shall also evolve.
I for one love the video referee and feel it is at least 10 years overdue.

Janson

I'm not a fan so far, seems to kill the moment having to stop the goal celebrations and wait for a minute or so.
Even todays match I seen Chile score just before half time and everything seemed fine, but when I switched on the 2nd half it was still 0-0.

The game is going to be very robotic like, with no room for human judgement or free flowing matches.

I keep expecting the players to have a game of charades with the ref.
I'd rather do without human judgement.:)Agree about the goal celebrations though, it does feel strange to watch.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I read about VAR during the Chile match yesterday and thought it was a stupid new nickname for Vargas.

I read VAR had a big part to play and was wondering what Vargas had done :lol:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Agreed.
Finally, we shall see an end to silly decisions and tbf, even referees will love having the video ref as a backup, in case they are not sure of a decision.
You are assuming VAR will end ref's silly decisions but so far that's far from being the case.

Yesterday Cameroon should have been 1-0 up vs Chile, Australia's second goal today shouldn't have counted and there were countless bad decisions both in the Club World Cup and the U20 World Cup. Noone cares much because these tournaments aren't very important but when next season a ref makes a big mistake in an important match even after watching the video, the amount of controversy will be unprecedented.

PieCrust

I like that they are getting the calls correct. That's the most important thing.

Needs a better way to seamlessly fit in, similar to the goal line technology. I think this will improve as it continues to get used and tweaked. It's a valid complaint on how it disrupts the game. But that doesn't out weigh the most important thing; getting the call right.

I didn't see the Chile game, but the refs missed the 4-man offside for Portugal's first goal and correctly called it back. I was more concered that the linesman missed 4 clearly off-side Portugal players in the first place, not like it was even close.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I didn't see the Chile game, but the refs missed the 4-man offside for Portugal's first goal and correctly called it back. I was more concered that the linesman missed 4 clearly off-side Portugal players in the first place, not like it was even close.
There were 4 offside players but Pepe was the one who got the ball and he was only marginally offside. If in doubt they'll most likely not call offsides as often from now on. If it ends up being a goal then they'll review it, but that doesn't seem totally fair. If it's a goal after an offside then it will be denied and the other team gets the ball, but if instead of being a goal the keeper saves it and it goes to a corner then the attacking team still is in a dangerous position. If the André Gomes shot yesterday in that play gets saved and goes to a corner it would be better for Portugal than had the ball gone in.

Pavl3n

There were 4 offside players but Pepe was the one who got the ball and he was only marginally offside. If in doubt they'll most likely not call offsides as often from now on. If it ends up being a goal then they'll review it, but that doesn't seem totally fair. If it's a goal after an offside then it will be denied and the other team gets the ball, but if instead of being a goal the keeper saves it and it goes to a corner then the attacking team still is in a dangerous position. If the André Gomes shot yesterday in that play gets saved and goes to a corner it would be better for Portugal than had the ball gone in.
Quite true, but it still beats the non VAR options, which are: 1. Portugal scores unlawful goal 2. Portugal gets a corner kick

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
You know that it's working well when the most common argument against it is "we'll have to wait an extra 10 seconds to celebrate a goal" or some nonsense about it ruining the emotion of goals.

In the FA cup final there wasn't a VAR and we had to wait 10 seconds before knowing whether the first goal was legit or not. That didn't seem to stop any of the fans at the ground celebrating it. I know that it didn't change my emotions that we'd scored.

R'hllor

This is hilarious, when the sentiment of many replies in this thread boils down to this.
Not sure i understand.

Hehehe. yep.
There will always be dinosaurs in all walks of life, who will resist change.
But, like all other sports which are evolving, football shall also evolve.
I for one love the video referee and feel it is at least 10 years overdue.
I simply do not trust refs,doubt their honesty,integrity,think all that "they are just humans and they make mistakes" is bullshit for me. Maybe i should take my tin foil hat off but for example here

think in that same game he gave pen to Palace for less of a shirt pull.

Pavl3n

Not sure i understand.

I simply do not trust refs,doubt their honesty,integrity,think all that "they are just humans and they make mistakes" is bullshit for me. Maybe i should take my tin foil hat off but for example here

think in that same game he gave pen to Palace for less of a shirt pull.
Haha, first time I see that incident. Was that a pen against Palace? I can't see a better evidence for short pulling than someone actually taking it off of you. Even pull rips are not as convincing.

Unlikely lad

Have they explained how the decision is taken? Always seems to be 3 people huddled around the screen.

Pavl3n

Have they explained how the decision is taken? Always seems to be 3 people huddled around the screen.
I guess they just follow the rules as we all know them :)
But if it goes down to the millimeter... I have no clue.

Oscie

Waiting a minute to celebrate a goal is an enormous cultural change. Why would anyone want that?

Sounds awful

"GOAAAAL!!" will be replaced by "The ball is in the net, now it's over to the officials as a hush descends over Old Trafford....a reminder that on Sunday we have Palace vs Chelsea live on Sky Sports One...........*40 seconds later*....and the goal is given and a brief smattering of relived applause from the crowd"

Pardon me for being rude but anyone fine with that becoming the norm is a certified fecking nutcase

Unlikely lad

I guess they just follow the rules as we all know them :)
But if it goes down to the millimeter... I have no clue.
I meant, is it only one person that takes the decision? I mean, it probably is, but that little huddle always cracks me up :lol: