VAR to be used in CL knockout stage

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by peridigm, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Dec 3, 2018

peridigm Full Member

Seeing confirmed reports all over Twitter. It’s about time.
  2. Dec 3, 2018

Mb194dc Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Great news, they probably felt pressure after that Sterling trip over his own feet penalty and harsh Ronaldo red card. It's worked very well in the La Liga games I've watched so far this season. All the other big leagues have it already and the referees will have experience of using it from domestic games. Only the English oneswon't, at least they'll have a chance to learn ready for next season, if they get any games.
  3. Dec 3, 2018

shahzadi Full Member

Wonderful, so no Barca offside goals to help overcome 4-5 goals deficit against PSG then ;)
  4. Dec 3, 2018

Minimalist New Member

Good.

Not that it'll help us or anything.
  5. Feb 12, 2019

bleedred Full Member

So, Whats the point of VAR again?
  6. Feb 12, 2019

El Zoido Full Member

Used to benefit Barca, Madrid, PSG. Will screw everyone else and they won’t even bother looking.
  7. Feb 12, 2019

One Night Only Prison Bitch #24604

This is correct.
  8. Feb 13, 2019

bktm New Member

Its only till Glazers get seat in UEFA. Amrica
  9. Feb 13, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Clear and obvious.
  10. Feb 13, 2019

Henrik Larsson Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Ajax fans were quite emotional about that decision, which is somewhat understandable since they were the better team in the first half.

There's absolutely no reason at all to assume that Skomina and the VAR wouldn't have made the exact same decision if it was Real Madrid scoring a goal like that though. Making all the talk about how the VAR is useless or ruining football quite silly.
  11. Feb 13, 2019

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    Courtois is in no man’s land there, in the process of checking his movement forward because he knows the striker is heading it first. That he doesn’t appeal anything is telling.

Silly and unnecessary decision.
  12. Feb 13, 2019

mariachi-19 Full Member

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
    You mean like David Gill?
  13. Feb 13, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Yep. VAR is fine in principle, but they need to use it sparingly. Only use it for blatantly wrong decisions, otherwise you get stupid calls like today. The rules exist for a reason, to stop teams gaining unfair advantages. Tadic's position had zero bearing on the goal. VAR is going to be damaging for football if it continues to be used in the manner that it is.
  14. Feb 13, 2019

It was Skomina's decision in the end though, not the VAR's. What you're describing sounds a bit like a have your cake and eat it too situation.
  15. Feb 13, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    It's irrelevant whose decision it is. The point is calls like that should not be getting overturned by VAR. It's not a 'cake and eat it' situation, the whole point of VAR was that it was to be used sparingly for "clear and obvious errors", yet it's being used to overturn extremely close calls.
  16. Feb 13, 2019

Suedesi Full Member

The ref was an absolute disgrace in the Ajax - Madrid match. Chalks off an Ajax goal, and then completely ignores a foul in the buildup for the Asensio goal.
  17. Feb 13, 2019

Inter Yer Nan Full Member

VAR isn't there to correct decisions. It's there to help the sides that the powers that be want to see succeed. It wouldn't have been implemented if they really want to get all the decisions right.
  18. Feb 13, 2019

Suedesi Full Member

19. Feb 13, 2019

yumtum DUX' bumchum

I think I'm going to give up on football, the corruption/incompetence used to be behind the scenes so no one could see it, but now it piercing that thin veil.
  20. Feb 13, 2019

Suedesi Full Member

He wants to have a career as a referee. Once the incident was called back for video review, there was only one outcome.
  21. Feb 13, 2019

You clearly don't understand the amount of subjectivity or arbitrariness involved in separating those two.

Same with your talk about Tadic' position having zero bearing on the goal, that's simply your opinion or interpretation and fair enough. But according to the current offside rules there wasn't really anything wrong with Skomina's interpretation either.

In the end you'll always end up with close calls and discussions like this, if you don't want any of that you should be against the implementation of VAR in football which is fair enough again. But then again the same VAR will make it 99% sure that the good old Thierry Henry handball goal will be disallowed, for which you say you do want the referees getting video assistance. That's what I mean regarding having your cake and eating it too.
  22. Feb 13, 2019

Member 93275 Guest

Even if you disallow the Ajax valid goal, how can you allow the Madrid goal when there was a clear foul on De Jong which was more suspect as compared to how active the actually non-offside Ajax player was in obstructing the flapping goal keeper without chance. I believe in VAR in that it generally should improve the error to correct call ratio, but here it seemed like a cowards excuse to turn decisions in favor of the richest team, which is very damaging to VAR. It shouldn't be used to indulge the big teams like Madrid.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
  23. Feb 13, 2019

GatoLoco Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    What are the current offside rules like? My understanding is the Ajax player needed to block Courtois view for the offside to get called, and I don't think that was the case in this situation. The goal should have stood.
  24. Feb 13, 2019

Revan Assumptionman

VAR is used only for goals, penalties, red cards and offsides which result in goals.
  25. Feb 13, 2019

Not only or simply the view from the way I read it.

“Interfering with an opponent” means:

Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision or movement

https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/5. law 11_554.pdf
  26. Feb 13, 2019

GatoLoco Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    I thought it was a foul at first, as you did, but now I have more doubts.

If you have a look at the second movement De Jong makes it looks like Lucas Vazquez is fouling De Jong, but if you pay attention to the first movement he makes I think it might be an obstruction.
  27. Feb 13, 2019

Member 93275 Guest

Fine, an interpretation. The point is that both the interpretations go in favor of the richest team.
  28. Feb 13, 2019

fallengt Full Member

It was correct call. Tadic was blocking Cortouis in an offside position
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  29. Feb 13, 2019

GatoLoco Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    None of those apply in that case imo. It should've been a goal.
  30. Feb 13, 2019

BobbyManc Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    It's not an opinion to say Tadic's position had no influence on the goal, it's an indisputable fact. If you remove him from the situation Courtois does not save the goal. You're deliberately being argumentative if you're seriously suggesting that the incident was a 'clear and obvious error'. If the linesman originally gives offside then I'd also be annoyed if VAR overturned it. It was a call which could have gone either way, and thus should not be requiring the intervention of VAR to overturn the decision. I am against the use of VAR if it's going to be used in the present fashion and disallow goals such as the one today. It's not a binary choice between no VAR and VAR but it's used to rule on the most trivial of debatable infractions, which is how you're presenting it.
  31. Feb 13, 2019

GatoLoco Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    None of them are 50-50 calls imo. The goals should've been stood in both cases. The referee got it very wrongly with the offside imo, it's a huge mistake.
  32. Feb 13, 2019

Vialli_92 Full Member

Supports:
    Juventus
    Don't know what the complaints are about it was the correct decision to disallow the goal, he was in an offside position interfering with play
  33. Feb 13, 2019

Yeah, I'm the one being deliberately argumentative. My bad then!
  34. Feb 13, 2019

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Even if he wasn't blocking him, which he really wasn't, he was in an offside position and affected play.

Vasquez thing looked more like a Jong foul than anything. VAR didn't miss it.

Our ref was just bad. Kimpembe should have gotten a 2nd yellow but not a straight red and therefor VAR couldn't intervene.
  35. Feb 14, 2019

fallengt Full Member

Why would it matter though. Vazquez didn't do much after that. VAR is for red card, goal and penalty only reviews
  36. Feb 14, 2019

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    I think VAR could have intervened if the ref gave a freekick. I think they could have said, have a look at that and decide if you want to give a red card?
  37. Feb 14, 2019

Schneckerl Full Member

I like that they are explaining the decision publicly. Would have been needed during the WC.
  38. Feb 14, 2019

Berbaclass Full Member

You’re joking right :lol:

How was Tadic not obstructing Courtois vision? Never mind stopping him from moving forward.

Why don’t people understand the rules...
  39. Feb 14, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Completely agree. How they can say the player interfered with the keeper is a head scratcher. They should just check if it was offside and that's it. Slow anything down enough and you can find something. Courtois reaction said it all. In other words, he had no reaction. If he was interfered with he would be the first to let the ref know. Brutal decision...
  40. Feb 14, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

I would agree if he was doing something to interfere with play, but he wasn't. He was moving back towards an onside position and a horribly out of position Courtois hits him in the back. The player didn't make any motion towards the ball. It just seems off to me. I understand what they are getting at with their explanation but it just doesn't seem right. If Courtois was interfered with he would be the first to let the ref know. Instead Courtois reaction was one of "oh shit, I messed up". For me, the VAR should only check if the original play was offside. If we look at replays enough we are bound to find a foul somewhere and pretty soon no goals will count...