Varchester City 18/19 discussion

Ban

All this outrage at their spending, where was this when we were battling them for titles. Ah yes, now the peoples' club has lost on the title now they realize what City is all about. Bunch of hypocrite pricks.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So many nonsense arguments in this thread. Yes, Chelsea and Abramovich are a disgusting plastic match made in hell. Yes, they started all this shit. But that’s beside the point.

Firstly, Chelsea have had significant outgoings nearly every season in that time making their net spend significantly less than City’s. And secondly, they spent little to not the two seasons prior while City spent nearly £300m after the takeover. It’s just a lazy comparison lacking proper context.

Also, the market didn’t go absolutely nuts until the Neymar and Mbappe transfers and City luckily had all their business done before then aside from Mahrez. So I’m not sure the inflation argument holds water. It’s incredibly subjective anyway.

All that to say that City has run away with spending since those cnuts took over and it’s not even close. And that’s just the money we know about. Considering the fact that Mancini was receiving shady, under the table payments, there’s no telling what they’ve actually spent since 2008.

Disgusting owners. Disgusting club.

A blight on football and sport in general.
I heartily agree.

Treble

So many nonsense arguments in this thread. Yes, Chelsea and Abramovich are a disgusting plastic match made in hell. Yes, they started all this shit. But that’s beside the point.

Firstly, Chelsea have had significant outgoings nearly every season in that time making their net spend significantly less than City’s. And secondly, they spent little to not the two seasons prior while City spent nearly £300m after the takeover. It’s just a lazy comparison lacking proper context.

Secondly, the market didn’t go absolutely nuts until the Neymar and Mbappe transfers and City luckily had all their business done before then aside from Mahrez. So I’m not sure the inflation argument holds weight. It’s incredibly subjective anyway.

All that to say that City has run away with spending since those cnuts took over and it’s not even close. And that’s just the money we know about. Considering the fact that Mancini was receiving shady, under the table payments, there’s no telling what they’ve actually spent since 2008.

Chelsea's spending between 2003 and 2007 is unseen in football. One must be brain dead not to understand it. Overall, they have been the biggest spenders in PL history, by far.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...sive-premier-league-transfers-in-todays-money

The hilarious bit is that Liverpool have out spent United during the PL years and have zero trophies to show for it. Spurs have out spent Arsenal.

Last edited:

The Nani

Chelsea's spending between 2003 and 2007 is unseen in football. One must be brain dead not to understand it. Overall, they have been the biggest spenders in PL history, by far.
No doubt still the most obscene spending spree in football by a distance.

No one is disputing that. It laid the foundations for the City and PSG feckwittery we’re now witnessing.

But it doesn’t make what City have done since 2008 any better and I don’t know why we’re even discussing it here.

SER19

If you take into account inflation in football, from 2003 to 2007 Chelsea spent about 1.2 bn in todays prices. Chelsea's spending was on another level. What's more, they have out spent City since 2010.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/europes-top-20-biggest-spending-14196912
If these check out, then I stand corrected and each sugar daddy owned club is as bad as each other and their spending simply bought similar success, just waiting on the inevitable city champions league which is predictable to the point of boring.

But I assume you will adjust all city's signings for inflation too.

Last edited:

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
Great end of the season with 3 trophies out of 4. I really enjoyed the end of the premier league with 14 wins in a row. Liverpool pushed us all the way till the last game, they really put a great challenge and that’s the reason I liked this season more than the 100 points one. 198 points in 2 seasons means for me City are one of the greatest teams in premier league era. A shame that we are not playing the champions league final but it was meant to be I guess.
So many games during the season really took a toll in the team and we couldn’t kill the tie at the Etihad and Spurs deserved to go through.
Really happy with our performance in the FA cup final. All in all, a really awesome season for City and looking forward for the next one!!!

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City

https://www.skysports.com/football/...sive-premier-league-transfers-in-todays-money

The hilarious bit is that Liverpool have out spent United during the PL years and have zero trophies to show for it. Spurs have out spent Arsenal.
Think that is bollocks let's compare DeBruyne and Di Maria. DeBruyne went for 51 and Di Maria went for 57 a year earlier. Yet this article puts them only 900k apart adjusted for inflation which makes no sense how could the monetary difference get smaller since by this logic there was negative inflation from 2014 to 2015.

Reactions: Ødegaard

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
I think people are freaking out a bit over City tbh. Let's wait until they win another 4-5 PL Titles and at least win a couple champions league before trembling in fear.

SER19

Think that is bollocks let's compare DeBruyne and Di Maria. DeBruyne went for 51 and Di Maria went for 57 a year earlier. Yet this article puts them only 900k apart adjusted for inflation which makes no sense how could the monetary difference get smaller since by this logic there was negative inflation from 2014 to 2015.
This is why every inflation calculation needs to be taken with a pinch of salt on football forums. In the other extreme I saw one that said we spent close to 200m on ferdinand or some rubbish like that. People will quote 'calculations' that suit themselves.

Eg saying Chelsea also spent 1.2bn adjusted for inflation, while not adjusting city's spending for inflation :lol: its nonsense

Cpt Negative

Amazing how they can get loads of fans for a trophy parade on a few days notice.

Ask them to fill a home game against Cardiff...

Treble

What's your point? That their calculations are distorted in favour of United? Maybe they use different sources for DeBruyne and Di Maria transfer fees. Di Maria stayed only one season and no add-ons were paid for him. Transfer fees are structured in different ways.

No matter how you look at it, United's ratio of money spent to number of titles/trophies is far better than that of any other team. Liverpool's is pathetic. Spurs have won too litlle for being the 5th biggest spender (adjusted for inflation).

burnageboy

Supports
Man City

Also, the market didn’t go absolutely nuts until the Neymar and Mbappe transfers and City luckily had all their business done before then aside from Mahrez. So I’m not sure the inflation argument holds water. It’s incredibly subjective anyway.

Just interested to know your thoughts if City's owners had bought United? I remember at the time, there were 100s of comments about why they had bought City rather than an established club like united. As to being 'disgusting', perhaps you should look at your own owners for the amount of cash they have personally stripped out of your club over the years of their ownership - and continue to do so - close on £500m according to Utd accounts. As a fan of whatever club we support, we do not get to choose our owners. We carry on supporting the 11 players on the pitch, whatever the circumstances. Just think back to your yellow and green days. Despite all the protestations, nothing you could do but accept your owners funding your club with insane debt and putting out more cash than probably the rest of the premiership put together.

Oh and by the way, the £1.3bn that the City owners have thrown at the club, lets not forget that it was brand new money being invested into the football market, which did not exist before. That money, mainly spent on the acquisition of new players has now sloshed around most of the top 50/100 clubs in europe and further afield, which in turn has been invested into infrastructure and players for those clubs. Same goes with the money from PSG and Chelski. All money, probably close on £4bn which has all been written off by the owners leaving the clubs with NO DEBT. £4bn is a shit load of cash which you and every other significant club has benefited from.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Just interested to know your thoughts if City's owners had bought United? I remember at the time, there were 100s of comments about why they had bought City rather than an established club like united. As to being 'disgusting', perhaps you should look at your own owners for the amount of cash they have personally stripped out of your club over the years of their ownership - and continue to do so - close on £500m according to Utd accounts. As a fan of whatever club we support, we do not get to choose our owners. We carry on supporting the 11 players on the pitch, whatever the circumstances. Just think back to your yellow and green days. Despite all the protestations, nothing you could do but accept your owners funding your club with insane debt and putting out more cash than probably the rest of the premiership put together.

Oh and by the way, the £1.3bn that the City owners have thrown at the club, lets not forget that it was brand new money being invested into the football market, which did not exist before. That money, mainly spent on the acquisition of new players has now sloshed around most of the top 50/100 clubs in europe and further afield, which in turn has been invested into infrastructure and players for those clubs. Same goes with the money from PSG and Chelski. All money, probably close on £4bn which has all been written off by the owners leaving the clubs with NO DEBT. £4bn is a shit load of cash which you and every other significant club has benefited from.
Justify City’s owners? They are not disgusting? You proud of yourself?

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
Amazing how they can get loads of fans for a trophy parade on a few days notice.

Ask them to fill a home game against Cardiff...
Why are you guys so bothered about how many fans we get at our games? So many opposing fans appear to be entirely obsessed with the attendance figures and for what end? Lets me make this clear. I don't think there is a City fan anywhere that would deny the fact that the likes of Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs are 'larger' clubs on the world stage. This trophy histories for those clubs are laden with success and as you will rightly accept, the growth of support is usually a generational thing. City do not have that long term success history, but they are certainly starting to catch up. Give it another 10/15 years - a good generational period since the take over, and lets see how it compares then.

As a City fan, I entirely accept that we do not have and will not have the kind of support base that you guys, for many many years, if ever. But I don't give a flying feck. What matters to me as a fan is what the 11 guys do on the pitch, whether there are 50 supporters or 50,000 supporters in the ground.

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
Justify City’s owners? They are not disgusting? You proud of yourself?
I am just a supporter of the club that I have supported all of my life, like almost every other fan in the world. I don't have to justify the owners. As you suggesting that as a fan, I should make some kind of moral stance because against the owners and perhaps stop supporting City and go and support another club? Really? Tell me about the reasons for your yellow/green period. I assume the main gripe was that you wanted the owners out of the club because they burdened it with the biggest debt in the history of football and have sucked out £500m from your pockets? Short memory. Were you not disgusted by that behaviour? Perhaps yes - perhaps no but what could you have done about it.

I am not trying to justify anything with regards City owners. I am just supporting my club.

And you did not answer my question. What would you have done if the City owners had bought United? Perhaps you will now be able to vent your fury on the potential new owners for Newcastle.

adz_87

Supports
Man City
I am just a supporter of the club that I have supported all of my life, like almost every other fan in the world. I don't have to justify the owners. As you suggesting that as a fan, I should make some kind of moral stance because against the owners and perhaps stop supporting City and go and support another club? Really? Tell me about the reasons for your yellow/green period. I assume the main gripe was that you wanted the owners out of the club because they burdened it with the biggest debt in the history of football and have sucked out £500m from your pockets? Short memory. Were you not disgusted by that behaviour? Perhaps yes - perhaps no but what could you have done about it.

I am not trying to justify anything with regards City owners. I am just supporting my club.

And you did not answer my question. What would you have done if the City owners had bought United? Perhaps you will now be able to vent your fury on the potential new owners for Newcastle.
Well said. Not sure what people expect your average supporter to do about it. I personally have no problem with citys owners, atleast they're investing in the football club and surrounding areas. What they've done to east Manchester and the infrastructure around the stadium is admirable of any owners and shouldn't go unnoticed. Much better than the leaches that own our football club.

burnageboy

Supports
Man City
But United and every other club have benefitted from City, Chelsea and PSG ownership...

You couldn’t make it up. :lol:
Thats right. You cannot make it up.

PSG OIL MONEY £200m to Barcelona for NEYMAR and in-turn Barcelona £145M to Liverpool for Coutinho. Then -

LIVERPOOL (with the Oil Money) £70m to ROMA for Becker - ROMA (with the Oil Money) £24m to SEVILLA for Nzonzi + another 70m for a range of other players from all over europe

LIVERPOOL (with the Oil Money) £70m to SOUTHAMPTON for Van Dijk - SOUTHAMPTON (with the Oil Money) £56m for various players from Muenchengladbach, FC Basel, City & Celtic

Just one example of this new 'oil' money (one transfer of £145m) filtering around 9 different clubs. IS THAT NOT A BENEFIT to those 9 different clubs?

The Nani

Thats right. You cannot make it up.

PSG OIL MONEY £200m to Barcelona for NEYMAR and in-turn Barcelona £145M to Liverpool for Coutinho. Then -

LIVERPOOL (with the Oil Money) £70m to ROMA for Becker - ROMA (with the Oil Money) £24m to SEVILLA for Nzonzi + another 70m for a range of other players from all over europe

LIVERPOOL (with the Oil Money) £70m to SOUTHAMPTON for Van Dijk - SOUTHAMPTON (with the Oil Money) £56m for various players from Muenchengladbach, FC Basel, City & Celtic

Just one example of this new 'oil' money (one transfer of £145m) filtering around 9 different clubs. IS THAT NOT A BENEFIT to those 9 different clubs?
I meant any level-headed, objective fan couldn’t make it up.

You and many other fans of plastic clubs on the other hand seem willing to dream up any and every delusion possible to justify your dubious ownership and success.

And if you can’t see how market inflation is harming the smaller clubs you are absolutely thick.

burnageboy

Supports
Man City

You and many other fans of plastic clubs on the other hand seem willing to dream up any and every delusion possible to justify your dubious ownership and success.

And if you can’t see how market inflation is harming the smaller clubs you are absolutely thick.
Oh dear. You are clearly unable to read. I am not justifying anything. Facts are facts. The £1.3bn that the owners of City have ploughed into the club, along with the other £2.6bn++ that Chelsea and PSG have also invested, has 100% benefited 100s of other clubs, directly and indirectly. Since when have United and their fans cared about 'the smaller clubs'?

As to market inflation, I fear you are seriously deluded on this front. Why do you think that when United paid £90m for Lukaku, that was not inflating the market, but when City paid £37m for Sane, City were inflating the market. Whatever City has spent on players, one thing for sure is that they have resolutely refused to pay the inflated prices that the likes of UTD and so many other clubs have been so willing to throw around. Please name a player that city have paid £90m (lukaku) £95m (pogba) and Sanchez on a salary of £500k per week. If that is not causing market inflation, then you are clearly 'absolutely thick'. It is just market conditions.

In fact, tell me what you think that De Bruyne is worth now along with Sane - Bernado Silva - Stirling - Laporte - Jesus - Gundogan - Ederson. At least twice to three times what City paid for them. If Bayern pay £90m for Sane, is that inflation in value City's fault?

adz_87

Supports
Man City

Tbf looking at these messages, nothing hes said is delusional. I Don't like to stick up for citeh fans, but calling someone absolutely thick is a bit much. Why don't you actually respond to some of the points he's mentioned instead of childish responses like that. I've seen him ask you numerous questions that you've chose to ignore.

DevilAgeIdiot

Oh dear. You are clearly unable to read. I am not justifying anything. Facts are facts. The £1.3bn that the owners of City have ploughed into the club, along with the other £2.6bn++ that Chelsea and PSG have also invested, has 100% benefited 100s of other clubs, directly and indirectly. Since when have United and their fans cared about 'the smaller clubs'?

As to market inflation, I fear you are seriously deluded on this front. Why do you think that when United paid £90m for Lukaku, that was not inflating the market, but when City paid £37m for Sane, City were inflating the market. Whatever City has spent on players, one thing for sure is that they have resolutely refused to pay the inflated prices that the likes of UTD and so many other clubs have been so willing to throw around. Please name a player that city have paid £90m (lukaku) £95m (pogba) and Sanchez on a salary of £500k per week. If that is not causing market inflation, then you are clearly 'absolutely thick'. It is just market conditions.

In fact, tell me what you think that De Bruyne is worth now along with Sane - Bernado Silva - Stirling - Laporte - Jesus - Gundogan - Ederson. At least twice to three times what City paid for them. If Bayern pay £90m for Sane, is that inflation in value City's fault?
Not sure what your beef is but the reality of football inflation is that Qatar and the UAE have upped the ante to an outrageous degree.

Their distortion of the market came about precisely because they are not legitimate football money. Neither City nor PSG are operating on the same level as self financing football clubs. Neither club is investing hard earned football money. Rather both Qatar and the UAE are spending whatever they like to sportswash their image.

Both projects are operating outside of the regular and regulated market. City in particular are being investigated for alleged wrongdoings by almost all of our regulatory bodies.

City have outspent their closest rivals and fellow gulf oil money project PSG by double in the last 5 years.

The only correct response is to ban them from the champions league and they should be severely punished by the premier league too. If that means stripping their titles purchased under cheating ways, then so be it.

Nobody likes cheaters and especially when it's cheating by arrogant billionaire nation state cheaters.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

The Nani

Tbf looking at these messages, nothing hes said is delusional. I Don't like to stick up for citeh fans, but calling someone absolutely thick is a bit much. Why don't you actually respond to some of the points he's mentioned instead of childish responses like that. I've seen him ask you numerous questions that you've chose to ignore.
He said we, like every other club, have benefitted from the sugar daddy and state-sponsored spending of Chelsea, City and PSG.

That is the very definition of delusion.

The market is absolutely upside down thanks to those clubs and their dubious ownership.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ah the crying is back, this thread was too quiet. Hurray for activity.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
You don't have to watch the interview. Every random shit quotes are posted by journalists on Twitter.
Haha yea true. Combined there's about 40 mins of footage across the two interviews, but the parts being quoted are just the last 7 mins of the first video on Tebas, PL rivals/spending, and the UEFA FFP investigation. The rest would be uninteresting/irrelevant to non-City fans.

The worst line of the whole thing is the "jealousy" quote. I don't think it's jealousy, and that was put directly in his mouth by Chris Bailey (the interviewer) but seems to be what a lot of the media has run with.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
That interview was blatantly scripted, probably required multiple takes. Kind of cruel to make that City-supporting interviewer pretend to care about the other branches of the franchise they’ve been made a part of. Speaking of which, Woodward has never overseen a relegation like this guy has. I say ‘never’, maybe ‘not yet’ would be more appropriate.

In fairness, everything he says is very good PR spiel about how well things are run... until he’s found guilty of cheating.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
That interview was blatantly scripted, probably required multiple takes. Kind of cruel to make that City-supporting interviewer pretend to care about the other branches of the franchise they’ve been made a part of. Speaking of which, Woodward has never overseen a relegation like this guy has. I say ‘never’, maybe ‘not yet’ would be more appropriate.

In fairness, everything he says is very good PR spiel about how well things are run... until he’s found guilty of cheating.
Well it's an annual interview for the City website, so obviously it's a very controlled environment. This interview was certainly very different to any other year though due to the content and tone of the last 7 mins of Part 1, which have predictably garnered all the headlines. I think he made it pretty clear that: 1) City are confident in their position; 2) City have lost trust in the integrity of the UEFA FFP investigation and are ready for battle (no more taking a pinch like in 2014). Obviously, that won't change the minds of any non-City fans on City's guilt, but the club's position is clear.

Chris Bailey has done the interview for about the past 5 years, so has to do the CFG questions every year, but yes even as a City fan I have no interest in that or the other CFG clubs.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Khaldoon speaks so well. I know the interview was probably pre-planned and just him talking on prepared points, he comes across so well. Absolutely the ultimate professional. He's extremely confident on the Uefa thing, unlike me. It's weird he's so confident.

Irwin99

Is it fair to say the reaction to their treble has been a bit muted? As a rival fan I found Liverpool's win in 05 or City's league win in 12 to be bitter pills to swallow but this has been very easy to shrug off.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Is it fair to say the reaction to their treble has been a bit muted? As a rival fan I found Liverpool's win in 05 or City's league win in 12 to be bitter pills to swallow but this has been very easy to shrug off.
It's not been muted among City fans! It's a clean sweep of domestic trophies, which has never been done before in the history of English football, so yes I think we're pretty excited.

But for non-City fans, yes I think it's been played down based on:
1) This treble didn't include the CL, so is obviously not as impressive as United's treble in 1999 or Liverpool's treble in 1984;
2) City's ownership (human rights issues) and the owner's investment/contravention of UEFA FFP (cheating, financial doping, etc.)

Irwin99

It's not been muted among City fans! It's a clean sweep of domestic trophies, which has never been done before in the history of English football, so yes I think we're pretty excited.

1) This treble didn't include the CL, so is obviously not as impressive as United's treble in 1999 or Liverpool's treble in 1984;
2) City's ownership (human rights issues) and the owner's investment/contravention of UEFA FFP (cheating, financial doping, etc.)
What was the attendance for the trophy parade? As big as the one in 2012? On a personal note, Liverpool winning the champions league will hurt big time but as I said, the City Treble didn't seem as insufferable as i thought it would be in the media. Genuinely surprised at this.

b20times

I wish Woodward spoke as well as the city chairman. I didn't hear khaldoon mention twitter, Instagram or Facebook once.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
What was the attendance for the trophy parade? As big as the one in 2012? On a personal note, Liverpool winning the champions league will hurt big time but as I said, the City Treble didn't seem as insufferable as i thought it would be in the media. Genuinely surprised at this.
Not quite sure how to embed this this vid but it kind of highlights the difference between small and big clubs:

https://t.co/JDot6NuUAB

Horace Pinker

Supports
Manchester City

Are you really a City fan? You're blowing smoke up utds backside and seem to have already found our club guilty of all charges. If you are a City fan have a look at yourself.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Not quite sure how to embed this this vid but it kind of highlights the difference between small and big clubs:

https://t.co/JDot6NuUAB
I'm not too fussed on a big/small club debate, and how "trophy parade attendance" fits into that, but it would've been more of a zinger if you'd compared Ajax's trophy parade with City's actual trophy parade. Of course Ajax have a more trophy-laden history.

Personally I find all modern trophy parades a bit slick and cringy tbh. I'm sure they generate great social media content/engagement though.