Varchester City 18/19 discussion

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They've been sputtering over the past few weeks. KDB while half fit offered penetration over Palace's top I haven't seen from City this entire season. They desperately need cover for Fernandinho... (GOAL RASHFORD), Gundogan should play there instead of Stones. Tuned in after they went down 3-1 so missed the defensive errors. Luck hasn't gone their way as much this season. (The feck was that Pogba????)

For our sakes I hope Liverpool think they have this in the bag... It's a long season.
I said this during the summer. Mahrez was an unnecessary buy when they had Foden+Diaz to cover for offensive positions. They would have a better balanced squad if they bought a Fernandinho backup.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I said this during the summer. Mahrez was an unnecessary buy when they had Foden+Diaz to cover for offensive positions. They would have a better balanced squad if they bought a Fernandinho backup.
I agree. Plus Mahrez hasn't shone for them yet (usually takes signings a while to get Pep's system so maybe that is it).

Still not gloomy for them. Liverpool come to them in January and it's a long season still.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Should have won today. Palace created 1 chance and got 3 goals. Walker was shocking for the 1st and the pen. That Townsend goal was unreal tekkers. Fair play to Palace, took their chances while we constantly messed up the final ball.

Not overly worried yet, but we have to best liverpool at home now.

Vadim

Should have won today. Palace created 1 chance and got 3 goals. Walker was shocking for the 1st and the pen. That Townsend goal was unreal tekkers. Fair play to Palace, took their chances while we constantly messed up the final ball.

Not overly worried yet, but we have to best liverpool at home now.
Pep’s only downfall as a coach is that he tries to be too clever at times when football is simpler than he believes.

Stones at DMF just threw everyone.

I hope you get back on top because the alternative is a horrific thought. But Liverpool look far stronger than City for me.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pep’s only downfall as a coach is that he tries to be too clever at times when football is simpler than he believes.

Stones at DMF just threw everyone.

I hope you get back on top because the alternative is a horrific thought. But Liverpool look far stronger than City for me.
I've been predicting Stones at DM for awhile from Pep, he looked a little lost today and a little slow on the ball. But I agree sometimes he over complicates things. I think the real issue is with no David Silva we're half the team in attacking positions even given our crazy outlay.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's a really sad day when you find yourself, as a United fan, utterly devastated that City lost a game.

Football was never meant to be this confusing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How long are Silva and Dinho out for?
They need them back pronto.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
You can 'feel' however you want, it's still objectively wrong.
CL has higher quality of teams, more people watching, more money involved, bigger price money for the players, is considered higher prestige by the footballing world...

You can't just 'declare' an obviously inferior competition is more important because it happens to make your club better.
I can declare what competitions I feel are most important to me, which is what I did. You can declare what competitions you feel are most important to you too, which might well be different to what I laid out.

I'm fully aware most of the footballing world disagrees with me. Nothing to do with making my club better, whatever that means.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I've been predicting Stones at DM for awhile from Pep, he looked a little lost today and a little slow on the ball. But I agree sometimes he over complicates things. I think the real issue is with no David Silva we're half the team in attacking positions even given our crazy outlay.
Think this performance has been coming for a while, the injuries have caught up with us. Thought we were in trouble as soon as I saw the midfield 3 of Stones (central defender), Bernardo (desperately in need of a rest), and Gundogan (shadow of what he was pre-injuries). Palace were very well organised, so fair play to them, but we had no-one in midfield who could pass through the lines, which left Jesus and Sterling totally isolated. Sane managed to get in the game via long diagonals, but we were pretty clueless before then until KDB came on.

Aguero and KDB back today at least (although Aguero looks off the pace still), and Silva and Fernandinho to come back. Although we've got a deep squad, so I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for us, it's tough to maintain the pace we have been on without so many key players.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Dunno whether to be happy or sad that City have dropped points again.

UDontMessWith24

Dunno whether to be happy or sad that City have dropped points again.
At the end of the day, despite all their recent success, this sums up their stature in the grand scheme of things. We would rather they win the league but their world was absolutely shattered when we delayed their title celebrations. It's like having to choose a root canal over a colonoscopy unfortunately.

SER19

I think city will win it. Certainly hope it’s not Liverpool. But I think it would be criminal to not win it given the extent of their investment and how much they won it by last year. Barring a champions league this year it would give guardiola a similar return to previous city managers, which considering what’s he’s spent would be poor for 3 years in charge.

Anybody else in second it would be good to see them falter but as it’s Liverpool, they better pull their fingers out.

They’ve three tough games next, if they’re top after them they should take a hold in the race

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just a simple case of over confidence and having a match where nothing fell for them, really not much to see here. It will happen Liverpool too.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Just a simple case of over confidence and having a match where nothing fell for them, really not much to see here. It will happen Liverpool too.
I think it's a bit more than that. Kyle Walker looks lethargic because he has played too many games without rest. It will only get worse the longer it goes on. Also a lot of their attacking potency early was due to Benjamin Medny, who allowed them to attack with more variety. Especially on the interior. Gundogan is still not good enough to play as one of the interiors in a midefield of three. Eveyrtime he plays there the teams pressing suffers drastically.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Really wish we had managed to keep pace with them a bit more, if we had got rid of Mourinho much sooner we could be in the hunt.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think it's a bit more than that. Kyle Walker looks lethargic because he has played too many games without rest. It will only get worse the longer it goes on. Also a lot of their attacking potency early was due to Benjamin Medny, who allowed them to attack with more variety. Especially on the interior. Gundogan is still not good enough to play as one of the interiors in a midefield of three. Eveyrtime he plays there the teams pressing suffers drastically.
Any other day they would have won easily, the caf is way too reactionary.

el3mel

They lost as much games as the entire last league campaign though. They're not going to replicate their points tally of last season and will sure lose some more so I see nothing to prevent Liverpool from putting them on pressure. The league winner will probably collect 92-93 points this season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They lost as much games as the entire last league campaign though. They're not going to replicate their points tally of last season and will sure lose some more so I see nothing to prevent Liverpool from putting them on pressure. The league winner will probably collect 92-93 points this season.
Liverpool will go through sticky patches also, an injury to Henderson, VVD or Salah could see them drop points too. If they weren’t playing well I’d agree with you, yesterday was simply over confidence, just my opinion of course.

SER19

2 wins from last 5 i think? All comps. Big three games next. If they dont go well a pep implosion will happen in 2019. I would rather they just beat liverpool to it though

el3mel

Liverpool will go through sticky patches also, an injury to Henderson, VVD or Salah could see them drop points too. If they weren’t playing well I’d agree with you, yesterday was simply over confidence, just my opinion of course.
Sure they well, but the pressure is more on City now as they'll need to make the difference or at least not make it increase and tbh, we have never seen how this City side will handle pressure. They had it easy last season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sure they well, but the pressure is more on City now as they'll need to make the difference or at least not make it increase and tbh, we have never seen how this City side will handle pressure. They had it easy last season.
I totally agree but Pep has a lot more experience of this kind of situation than Klopp does. I don’t think yesterday has anything to do with pressure, they simply were over confident and thought they would walk it.

Van Aanholt's Express

Supports
Wigan
He missed a few games injured early on and has been on the bench or suspended too.
They look a better team without Henderson.
I agree on VVD or Salah though.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Think this performance has been coming for a while, the injuries have caught up with us. Thought we were in trouble as soon as I saw the midfield 3 of Stones (central defender), Bernardo (desperately in need of a rest), and Gundogan (shadow of what he was pre-injuries). Palace were very well organised, so fair play to them, but we had no-one in midfield who could pass through the lines, which left Jesus and Sterling totally isolated. Sane managed to get in the game via long diagonals, but we were pretty clueless before then until KDB came on.

Aguero and KDB back today at least (although Aguero looks off the pace still), and Silva and Fernandinho to come back. Although we've got a deep squad, so I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for us, it's tough to maintain the pace we have been on without so many key players.
Agree, I don't think its just injuries, we've been leaking goals and a little profligate as of late anyway. The midfield didn't help but we lacked killer instinct and gave up some silly goals, as one of the Spurs fans said earlier, another day despite the weakened team we're winning that game handy enough.

Whats worrying is we dominated Chelsea first half and lost (though completely outplayed second half) and dominated Palace and lost. We're losing games we should be putting to bed, Liverpool are doing the opposite, games where they should be dropping points they are finding a way whether by skill or luck. Thats what champions do, think of the number of games last season where Sterling deflected, shanked or scuffed a winner for us when the points didn't look likely, they were the games that put us miles ahead.

We really need KDB if we don't have Merlin, we can manage without one but not without both it seems. Essentially we played Palace without our entire first choice midfield, first choice striker, left back and had one of our first choice CB's out of position but in the end it was just one of those days.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Agree, I don't think its just injuries, we've been leaking goals and a little profligate as of late anyway. The midfield didn't help but we lacked killer instinct and gave up some silly goals, as one of the Spurs fans said earlier, another day despite the weakened team we're winning that game handy enough.

Whats worrying is we dominated Chelsea first half and lost (though completely outplayed second half) and dominated Palace and lost. We're losing games we should be putting to bed, Liverpool are doing the opposite, games where they should be dropping points they are finding a way whether by skill or luck. Thats what champions do, think of the number of games last season where Sterling deflected, shanked or scuffed a winner for us when the points didn't look likely, they were the games that put us miles ahead.

We really need KDB if we don't have Merlin, we can manage without one but not without both it seems. Essentially we played Palace without our entire first choice midfield, first choice striker, left back and had one of our first choice CB's out of position but in the end it was just one of those days.
Yes agreed with all of that, especially that we always need one of KDB or Silva. We don't have anyone who can match KDB's dynamism or anyone who can match Silva's creativity. Different players but equally good at picking defensive locks, especially a team as organised as Palace. We dominated Palace in terms of possession and territory, but we didn't really cut them open or create lots of clear-cut chances.

Skills

Snitch
They were the same last season. They looked shaky when we actually were in the race. Our coward of a manager gave up, bent over for them at Old Trafford and they picked up moment from that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Loving this cnut's downfall since he left Barcelona...

What I am not loving is how its benefitting the other lot.

F**k off
Until last week he was the second coming of Jesus. I don’t think it’s his downfall, just that Liverpool have been a really good side.