Vardy's challenge on Mustafi, deserved Red?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don't get VAR, it's a great concept but my God our application has been awful.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
When I saw it live I thought it was an accident and that was reaffirmed by Vardy's immediate reaction.

However every time I see it again it looks more and more intentional. My guess is he did want to kick out at him but didn't expect to hit his face, hence his half genuine oh shit reaction.

arthurka

I personally thought there was a follow through there but VAR again had other ideas..

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think it was accidental. I think if you keep looking at something over and over again, slowed down, it'll look more intentional. Initial thought in real time was accidental.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just made a comment in the VAR thread... but yeah, absolutely a red card

When I saw it live I thought it was an accident and that was reaffirmed by Vardy's immediate reaction.

However every time I see it again it looks more and more intentional. My guess is he did want to kick out at him but didn't expect to hit his face, hence his half genuine oh shit reaction.
Even if it is an accident... shouldn't it still be a red card because it's a dangerous thing to do?

Nketiah was clearly going for the ball in his challenge and most likely didn't mean to connect with the leg... but because he went in in a dangerous manner its still a red card.

Baneofthegame

Looks intentional from the clips, whether he meant to kick him in the face is another matter.

Riz

Watching last night I thought it looked an accident at the time. However that second video doesn’t look good, the angle of his leg doesn’t look natural and there’s a moment where he almost glances over before the leg comes round. Not sure.

Zlatattack

Defintely, we need Leicesters top goalscorer banned till the end of the season.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I think it was accidental. I think if you keep looking at something over and over again, slowed down, it'll look more intentional. Initial thought in real time was accidental.
Question is - Should intention matter when you've kicked someone in the head? It most often then not doesn't matter when you connect with someones leg/shin and get sent off.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Can they retrospectively act at this point?

*Personally think it would be harsh to do so

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's obviously a red card and intentional. I challenge any of you to fall over and extend your leg out with force at the same time. You just don't do it, serves no purpose.

From here, here's down. The natural reaction is to hit the deck on your elbow/upper arm and try to mitigate any damage to your head. Your legs don't go on vacation mode.

Tarrou

could've killed him!!

but yeah from the second clip thats clearly intentional

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Looks completely accidental to me. No way would I give a red card for that.

Slow motion is terrible for judging intent.

shahzy

There's no way that when a man is slipping over that his leg flings out like that in the normal act of slipping. That's 100% on purpose. He wanted to kick him, maybe not at his face (no one can really know) but he did want to kick him. Therefore clearly a red all day long

Berbasbullet

He extends his leg so far and knew someone was behind him. Clear red.

Nickelodeon

I don't think it was intentional. For the record, I don't think Nketiah's tackle was intentional but that was reckless. Vardy's wasn't. The more you try to construe every reaction, head movement etc., the more evidence you'll find. When it is intentional, its immediately visible in the replay rather than being dug out.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

The first clip looks intentional

The second clip Vardy clearly looks at him before the boot hits his face. Question is: Was the kicking deliberate and could he have avoided it? I'd say yeah. Red for Vardy. Very dangerous play.

On that note I'm curious why Jefferson Lerma doesn't get a red for going studs first into Martials knee

Kostov

That is absolutely horrible and absolute red from the dirty bastard. Vardy is an awful piece of shit and always has been.

fps

100% agree.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

That's the issue isn't it, only Vardy will know for sure if he meant it or not and it's only when you start to overanalyse it do you start to put together conspiracy theories

At the time I thought it was accidental and not a red

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Even if it is an accident... shouldn't it still be a red card because it's a dangerous thing to do?

Nketiah was clearly going for the ball in his challenge and most likely didn't mean to connect with the leg... but because he went in in a dangerous manner its still a red card.
Following through studs up and falling over and accidentally kicking somebody are 2 different things though.

You could make an argument that he kicked out but I’m not sure what he can do if he has genuinely falling over.

Berbasbullet

It's obviously a red card and intentional. I challenge any of you to fall over and extend your leg out with force at the same time. You just don't do it, serves no purpose.

From here, here's down. The natural reaction is to hit the deck on your elbow/upper arm and try to mitigate any damage to your head. Your legs don't go on vacation mode.
Exactly he plants his left foot down and his next response is to extend it as far as possible?

Not a natural fall.

Even if he didn't mean to kick him in the face you surely have a responsibility to protect others on the field? He knew the other player was there and fell in such an unnatural way.

Last edited:
Red card.

It was an 'unnatural' movement. His genuine falling momentum doesn't cause his leg to kick out like that.

It was dangerous play, could have blinded him in one eye if the studs landed an inch or two differently.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Following through studs up and falling over and accidentally kicking somebody are 2 different things though.

You could make an argument that he kicked out but I’m not sure what he can do if he has genuinely falling over.
But falling in over in that way - which isn't a natural way to fall over - is a dangerous way to well, fall over. I mean technically he's fallen over and followed through studs up!

I just think kicking someone in the head in that manner means you've done something dangerous, whether you meant to or not.

Handré1990

I’d say yes, even though I haven’t seen it. It’s..... Vardy!

Edit: After watching it I’m even more sure. Looks like prime JCVD!

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
It's intentional. Who falls and then lifts straightens their left leg with force?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is one where the Premier League needs to review and take retrospective action. That's a definite red card. Deliberately kicks the lad in the face. Three game ban minimum IMO.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There are two things here, whether the intention is there to commit violent conduct or whether even if it was accidental it was so reckless he deserves to go anyway:

Agreed in as much as I don't know why he's flinging his leg up in a circular motion. If it's intentional that's terrible conduct, if it's a bit of frustration wanting to kick out his leg but not necessarily make contact that's still wreckless conduct, and the result is a nasty injury that could have been far worse. What's more...

later on in the game Nketiah goes for something that was reckless but entirely accidental, and it's rewatched by the VAR many times and by the ref (only once for some reason) on the pitch side monitor. Why wasn't the Vardy incident at least referred to the VAR too?

For me it's another one in the column of concept = good, rewatch footage and cut out absolute piss-boiling ref howlers from the game, implementation = dire; no consistency, ridiculous procedural rules and in too many areas (handball, offside) VAR is overseeing a daft rulebook that when followed to the letter still leaves a nasty taste. The fact more often than not one set of fans is left as bruised as they were before VAR, justifiably so, is proof the system isn't working as it should in the PL.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
How is that not a red card!? That's mental, to be able to control your leg like that and hit someones head is actually pretty difficult. Not accidental in the slightest.

Rafaeldagold

It’s accidental so obviously not a red. As much as I hate Vardy he’s not going into a tackle or anything, it’s accidental collision while falling down.

No way is that a red & if that happened to us & a red was given I’d be fuming