Variable Formation Draft - Enigma vs Skizzo

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

................................................ TEAM ENIGMA ............................................................................................ TEAM SKIZZO .......................................................

TEAAM ENIGMA

Formation: 5-3-2
Style: Counter attacking

Defence:
Hector Chumpitaz
is playing as a sweeper and his ball carrying skills come to the fore. He will carry out the ball from the back and spread passes from deep looking to the wings and initiate moves:
He's flanked by two no nonsense defencers in Godin and Adams, both excellent in the air and commanding CB's tat can stop Riva both on the deck and in the air.

Eric Gerets and Bixente Lizarazu are high flying wing backs that have the lung capacity to man their flanks and keep motoring till the final whistle.

Midfield:
Falcao
is a midfield general who will dictate our game from the middle of the park and alongside Tigana they form a formidable partnership capable of slowing down the opposition. Both are comfortable on the ball and can initiate moves whilst also being press resistant.

Ronaldinho will play in the #10 role linking midfield and attack and also finishing moves in the final third.

Attack:
Once labelled a one man attack, Fenomeno is joined by Villa who is also an ambidextrous forward able to fill in many roles. They both are very mobile strikers able to drift wide and pull defenders outside their comfort zone.

And of course finally a joga bonito partnership that always brings excitement to the eye :drool:

TEAM SKIZZO

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Picking two full backs first was meant to provide a solid foundation for pretty much every formation, since the majority of them would require solid full backs to provide width and support. Cue Edgar providing me with the formation least reliant on the full back contribution :D

Defense: The Great Dane Peter Schmeichel goes in goal. The type of keeper you'd want as a last line of defence with someone running through one-on-one. The full backs are, as mentioned, two of the best in terms of a great blend of attacking support, and defensive nous. Both Cafu and Giacinto Facchetti were relied upon by their clubs and countries to often man the flanks on their own. They'd look to balance their output here and provide support, overlap the wingers, and play their game. The center back pairing of Ricardo Carvalho and Oscar Ruggeri would look to balance each other, with Ruggeri's physical style of play complemented by Carvalho's more nuanced reading of the game. Both good in the air and the ground, they'd have their hands full with R9, but with a good mix of physical attributes and intelligence, and support from the rest, they could at least hope to slow him down enough for goals at the other end to make a difference.

Midfield: Edgar Davids and Matthias Sammer form the double pivot, with both being dynamic and all-action. They'd provide a strong defensive spine to allow Gunter Netzer to pull the strings up ahead. With both Davids and Sammer able to get forward and support the attack to overload the defense with runners, and Sammer's tendency to drop deeper throughout a game, we have a good dynamic base to allow Netzer do provide quality to the rest of the attack.

Attack: With Rivaldo on the inside left looking to drift inwards towards goal, and Allan Simonsen always moving and probing around the entire attacking third, we have a good blend of movement and creativity to allow space for Luigi Riva to operate. With all three players able to link up, as well as creating a good balance with the overlapping fullbacks to provide the width and movement to open further channels to work, I feel we have a diverse set of goal threats.

Allan Simonsen - 222 goals in 555 appearances // .4 goals a game. (and a Balon D'or winner)
Rivaldo - 284 in 627 appearances // .45 goals a game (and a Balon D'or winner)
Luigi Riva - 205 in 380 appearances // .53 goals a game
[/QUOTE]

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Not a fan of Skizzo's wide men with Riva upfront. For Enigma, the CBs are not great choices for a 5 man defense.

Other than those 2 things, the rest of both teams are exceptional.

Enigma_87

You know who
Best of luck @Skizzo ! Again very early matchup in two successive drafts against a team that I really like, I blame Edgar for that :mad:

Enigma_87

You know who
Not a fan of Skizzo's wide men with Riva upfront. For Enigma, the CBs are not great choices for a 5 man defense.

I think both teams were set on for 2 formations from the start and the other alternatives wouldn't look as good.

Me personally was setting up for 4-4-2 diamond and Skizzo obviously for 5-3-2 as both teams have high flying fullbacks to stretch the play.

As for the CB's. Chumpitaz IMO is a non brainer for a libero/sweeper role. He can spray the ball from defence, can carry it out and has the skillset to resist press and pressure from opposition attackers/attacking mids.

Godin is someone who is used to defend wide and cover for the full back at Atleti. He is gifted with an ability to read the game, anticipate opposing attacks, thus intercept and cut out attacking moves before they threaten his goal in and outside his box. Being natural defender he only god red carded in 7 occassions for north of 650 games. For a guy whose job is to stop the best forwards in the world, that is really something to be appreciated. Saying that he has got a 150 yellows (one every 4 games of sorts). In other words, he knows when to enforce and when to stop.

Tony Adams is a defender first and possesses the qualities to pull a good job as RCB, whilst also keeping the line when Chumpitaz goes forward. Ideally both Lizarazu and Gerets are well equipped in terms of stamina and ability to cover the pitch not to allow the opposition to pull him wide on consistent basis.

On top of that both Adams and Godin are physically intimidating, strong and excellent in the air defenders that are really nice counter to Riva's game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Being natural defender he only god red carded in 7 occassions for north of 650 games. For a guy whose job is to stop the best forwards in the world, that is really something to be appreciated.
This really isn't an impressive record. Yes, it's not a Ramos/Montero territory, but it's quite a significant amount of red cards for a top centre back to amass over the course of their career.

This is an all-time high records for Serie A, for example:

Enigma_87

You know who
This really isn't an impressive record. Yes, it's not a Ramos/Montero territory, but it's quite a significant amount of red cards for a top centre back to amass over the course of their career.

This is an all-time high records for Serie A, for example:
TBH, whilst I was researching I expected that number to be a lot higher. Atleti play in a deep line and they succumb a lot of pressure. The defensive effort he puts in is a lot higher than the more dominant teams that play on the front foot. At his heyday especially in CL his concentration levels were fantastic and often the game was 90% spent in his own half or covering for his full back facing some of the greatest dribblers in the game.

For a stopper with so many games in his career I think the number is not really high, especially playing at the highest level and in not a dominant side (Real, Barca often get away with decisions).

https://www.worldfootball.net/player_summary/diego-godin/

In another source I actually found out his count is 6, not 7, but either way it has impressed me.

Cannavaro for example has 7 in his career in roughly the same games. Vidic 5 in only 380 games. Bergomi a lot higher from your link. Kohler 5, Vierchowod 6. I mean the greatest stoppers have roughly the same amount when you consider a bigger stats pool, yet IMO Godin was put on more pressure throughout the games due to the Atleti style.

Skizzo

Not super ideal with the formation, no, but Simonsen is the type to roam around the front line, and he’d be comfortable stretching the play out wide leaving space for either Sammer to rampage forward, or Netzer to drift into pockets.

I think the one saving grace is having two fullbacks who are adept at being the lone flanks for their teams throughout their careers. They know when to push on and when to stay, plus the fact the opposition is relying on wingbacks for width gives them a little less to worry about.

Having Rivaldo and Simonsen get into those pockets of space near the back three would cause problems. Rivaldo against Adams on that inside left would be trouble, and opening space for Riva, who has 9+ goals against Zoff just in Serie A would create chances.

Skizzo

Godin and Adams are both good defenders I agree, and I’ve picked them both before quite a few times, so don’t want to appear dishonest in my evaluation, but I think both of them playing as wide defenders against someone like Simonsen and Rivaldo would cause problems. Despite the possibility of a red card, even just giving away free kicks around the box would be cause for concern.

I think Adams trying to stand up Rivaldo, and Simonsen running at Godin, both of whom were great defenders in deeper or defensive setups, would be critical. Godin obviously playing in that deep Atleti set up, and Adams captaining that boring, boring Arsenal who ground out 1-0 wins on the back of defensive setups, I think this would be risky for them to be in this expansive of a set up with wingbacks pushing forward and being forced to defend wide throughout the game.

Skizzo

I also think a lot of people, and I’m guilty of this too, almost forget how good Rivaldo was with the ball at his feet because players like Ronaldinho and R9 got the plaudits and Rivaldo almost gets seen as more pragmatic. With the ball at his feet and working the lines between the wing back and Adams, I see a lot of room for him to attack directly and do some damage.

And while I wouldnt say we’re a counter attacking team, I think we have a great way of directly attacking at pace. With the ball at the feet of Rivaldo/Simonsen. Sammer from deeper. Netzer picking passes. The full backs bombing on. I feel we have a good diverse mix of threats to pick open the opposition defense.

Enigma_87

You know who
Godin and Adams are both good defenders I agree, and I’ve picked them both before quite a few times, so don’t want to appear dishonest in my evaluation, but I think both of them playing as wide defenders against someone like Simonsen and Rivaldo would cause problems. Despite the possibility of a red card, even just giving away free kicks around the box would be cause for concern.

I think Adams trying to stand up Rivaldo, and Simonsen running at Godin, both of whom were great defenders in deeper or defensive setups, would be critical. Godin obviously playing in that deep Atleti set up, and Adams captaining that boring, boring Arsenal who ground out 1-0 wins on the back of defensive setups, I think this would be risky for them to be in this expansive of a set up with wingbacks pushing forward and being forced to defend wide throughout the game.
Both Rivaldo and Simonsen tend to drift in which IMO works in our favor as most likely they will cut to Godin/Adams comfort zone rather than having the natural feel to drift wide and pull them outside.

On the flip side Fenomeno could really cause some damage against Ruggeri as he's the forward he would definitely hate to face and his pace and drive can cause all sorts of problems.

Ronaldinho moving between the lines can use the pockets of space to find openings, especially on the counter.

Skizzo

Both Rivaldo and Simonsen tend to drift in which IMO works in our favor as most likely they will cut to Godin/Adams comfort zone rather than having the natural feel to drift wide and pull them outside.

On the flip side Fenomeno could really cause some damage against Ruggeri as he's the forward he would definitely hate to face and his pace and drive can cause all sorts of problems.

Ronaldinho moving between the lines can use the pockets of space to find openings, especially on the counter.
While Rivaldo would drift in towards goal generally, I think having Adams singled out, and knowing he had the beating of him out wide would look for him to isolate him in space.

@harms had this post in regards to Simonsen and his ability to be a free-flowing attacker who would attack along the front line

He started out as a right wing player before gradually moving closer and closer to goal, ending up as a free-roaming striker

Here's a game where Simonsen plays in a similar role to this one, scoring 2 goals in a UEFA Cup final

Here's peak Simonsen 2 years later against Dynamo Kiev — he still starts from the right and even covers for right back from time to time, but you can see that he is the main man now and he usually cuts inside relatively early

I'm not going to pretend that this team is set up around Simonsen or that it makes the most out of him, but it does suit my three star attackers and Simonsen is one of the few historic greats that can be easily used as a quick fix due to his unique mentality, work-rate and versatility. Even when he was at the top of the world, beating Platini & Keegan for Ballon d'Or, he still was very much a water-carrier on the pitch, a bit like Boniek. And this is a role that is very much familiar to him.

Skizzo

I think in regards to defensive setups, with Sammer in midfield, his natural tendency to be up and back would help with Ronaldinho dropping into that pocket of space. Between our two sides, I feel we have the better option for width with our fullbacks and Rivaldo/Simonsen drifting between the inside and outside channels.

everything on the opposition would be funneled rather centrally. Not downplaying Ronaldinho or R9, or even Villa actually, as all have the ability to drift wide and attack different angles, but I feel having them all setup centrally (a limit of the formation assignment as opposed to a first choice) makes it slightly more manageable to funnel them to where we have the strongest resistance between Sammer-Davids-Carvalho-Ruggeri

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Godin is an awful pick for a side CB in a back 3, unsure about Adams though him i didnt watch enough....rest of the team is great and probably has the edge over skizzo.

Enigma_87

You know who
good game @Skizzo ! Our last two were separated by literally one vote :D
as I mentioned the formations that we landed were out 3rd/4th best probably.

from the draft you have set up beautifully for 5-3-2 to also maximise Sammer’s impact.