Variable Formation Draft - Sinister vs Mickey7

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs
....................................................................................TEAM SINISTER .......................................................................................................................................TEAM MICKEY7 .....................................................

TEAM SINISTER

At Goal we have one of the greatest goalkeeper of all time, an all conquering captain of the team in Iker Casillas, with a back three consisting of the greatest center back to come out of South America in Elias Figuerao, who is arguably the best complete defender, the Spanish Beckenbauer in J. Pirri and the Ballon Dor candidate and arguably the greatest defender in the English Premier League era in Virgil van Dijk. Flanked by two world class full backs in Ashley Cole and D. Santos. A well balanced and defensively secured midfield of the arguably the greatest destroyer of all time, a man who has a position named for him in C. Makelele, an outstanding complete midfielder in J. Kimmich and a central midfield playmaker who was both a creative force and an excellent metronome who knew how to tackle well in Didi. We have upfront a free moving second striker in one of the fastest, outstanding passer of the ball and a creator par excellent who can also score goals from the distance or by dribbling past whole defense in Kaka and the greatest striker to play in England, one of the most complete and clean finisher of all time in J. Greaves, who was as good a fox in the box as he with his individual goals.

Since the formation I was given was 3-5-2, meaning i had to sacrifice the goat winger partnership of Robbery, but no worries, I have come up with a side which is exceptional in defensive phase, but also have a creative hub with two absolute elite class attackers upfront.

TEAM MICKEY7

My team will be playing a 4-3-3 formation. As I feel like most of my players are relatively well known I will discuss a couple of our less known players before discussing in general terms what I think our strengths as a team are.

Firstly our Left Back Rafael Gordillo has 75 Spanish caps and finished 15th in France Football's Football Player of the Century, which was voted on by 30 players who won the Ballon d'Or between 1956 and 1999 (excluding Best, Matthews, Sivori and Yashin). He was according to the Spanish magazine Don Balon the best Spanish player in the 1979-80 season. Gordillo was equally comfortable both as a wingback and a midfielder. Spanish journalist Alfredo Relaño described Gordillo's style of play as follows:

always from the left wing, with a tireless rise and fall and a very good technique in his left leg, with which he scored many goals and gave many more. Míchel in one band and Gordillo in the other were the key to those great years of Madrid de la Quinta. There was practically no game he played, with Madrid, with Betis or with the national team, in which he was not the full dominator of his area, a wide strip of ten meters wide from one corner pennant to the other, on the left wing of his team.
Source

On winning the Ballon d'Or in 1987, Ruud Gullit said:

I appreciate this award, but it's not fair. I would have given it to Gordillo. He's the best player to step on the pitch now
Source

This could be just Gullit being humble but even if so it is interesting that Gullit chose Gordillo over the likes of Platini, Boniek, Matthaus, and Baresi among others.

In the following clip, former Liverpool and Scotland defender Steve Nicol answers Gordillo to a question on the greatest opponent he has faced.

Secondly, Miodrag Belodedici was the first player to win the European Cup with two different clubs and was an important player on both occasions that the European Cup/Champions League was won by an Eastern European club. In this post @Enigma_87 describes Belodedici as both a defensive organizer and a playmaker from deep.

Team Strengths

• The attacking strength of our left flank of Gordillo and Czibor will be very difficult for Djalma/Kimmich to deal with
  • The proven combination of Platini and Boniek
  • Our midfield 3 with Voronin the organiser at the base of midfield, Tardelli as a defensive box to box midfielder and Platini who can both be a playmaker from deep and arrive late in the opponent's area

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz
A question mark that I have on the opposing team is whether Djalma Santos is good enough offensively to be the sole presence on a flank. I personally think the team would be better with Djalma at RCB, Kimmich at RWB and Pirri in midfield.

Voted for Michael - is there some video footage of Belodedici I can look at?
These are the 3 Belodedici compilations I have been able to find which are two European Cup Finals and a European Cup semifinal against Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Marseille which is a top level of opposition.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A question mark that I have on the opposing team is whether Djalma Santos is good enough offensively to be the sole presence on a flank. I personally think the team would be better with Djalma at RCB, Kimmich at RWB and Pirri in midfield.
Good call. To be honest, 3-5-2 with a pure DM like Makelele as well as two technically great, but still, ultimately, balanced (and not purely attacking) full-backs seems like an overkill.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
really dislike the back 3 from @Lord SInister , specially considering they are among best players in the squad....they are all 3 leaders of defence at their very best so the only way for them to be there is to play centrally and it just doesnt make any sense to have Van Dijk and Figueroa below their potential. Those two specifically i dont like together in a back 4 either

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Agree with all of them
Kimmich suits to RWB role than Djalma for sure, rb's version of Kimmich is rated as one of the best offensive full-backs in the world.