Variable Formation Draft - Sjor vs harms

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

................................................ TEAM SJOR/JOGA ........................................................................................... TEAM HARMS ............................................

TEAM SJOR / JOGA

Tactics

Possession, High Line, High Press

After our first 2 picks, we decided we live and die by our philosophy, no matter which formation we got. Bit of a cheat considering the theme, but thankfully we got a formation where we are also tactically spot on, so we don't have to argue how formations are irrelevant.
Back 3 is sensational considering the theme - Neuer the prototypical Sweeper ball playing goalie, who completely revolutionized the goalkeeper position and did it at highest level possible. In front of him we have Mozer and Stam a pairing which is almost a cheat code in a high line, two just insanely athletic defenders that were dominating most of their opponents with ease. We all know everything about the quality of Stam but Mozer was equally just as fantastic, but unfortunately had zero luck in international football. Sadly most of the football world has completely forgotten him and his stature in footballing history is much lower then it should rightfully be. At the fullback position, we have 2 Duracell bunnies that are capable of running their flanks, both Amoros and Benarrivo were very good defenders and even better attackers.

The midfield is the crown jewel of the team. Iniesta, who like Neuer, revolutionized the # 10 position where players (at least great ones) stopped playing a hit and miss game and started taking care of the ball more, trying to find the ideal balance between cycling possession and providing thrust & penetration, and Iniesta is one of the best ever at it. Playing next to him is the Man City GOAT - David Silva, partner in crime for the national team who will be on the same wavelength with the Spaniard and the rest of the band.

The more interesting part of the midfield is the partnership of Redondo and Fabinho who we see as a very similar partnership to Fabinho and Thiago at Lpool. Those two together are an absolute delight to watch and not only that, they are backing the eye test with a great record both domestically and in the CL. Here we upgraded Thiago with Redondo and we can see a very similar dynamic developing between the two of them. The midfield as a whole should play some thrilling fast paced but possession based football with the right blend of creativity and cohesiveness.

Up front two modern greats of the game - S&S. Both are absolutely lethal in the final third, and exceptional outside it as well with their penchant for the outrageous, ability to contribute in possession with their link up play and movement off the ball, and most importantly for Sjor - amazing in the defensive phase of the game.

TEAM HARMS

My team has the perfect combination of flair, work-rate and shithousery that you want from your side. Plenty of goalscorers, perfectly balanced midfield with 3 very different players with complimentary skill-sets & different sources of creativity that includes Marcelo and a near-unbeatable defense.

Mr. Iron Curtain himself stands the goal. Rinat Dasayev was one of the most complete keepers of all-time — agile as a cat but also incredibly dominant inside the box & in the air.

Franco Baresi and Paul McGrath form an unbeatable defensive block in the centre. McGrath’s athleticism and versatility make him a perfect partner for Baresi and his pace is going to be useful in order to cover for Marcelo on the left. I’m not sure if I need to comment on Baresi — he’s, in my opinion, the greatest defender of all-time (with Beckenbauer transcending that role and belonging in a tier of his own), as well as the greatest ever defensive leader/organiser.

On the left side of defense Sjor’s sweetheart Marcelo, probably the greatest attacking left-back of all-time, gets a free reign to bomb forward with Rensenbrink & Lerby providing him with plenty of interplay options and cover.

On the right it’s the greatest ever Ranger, John Greig, who is the perfect player for this draft — having played at a top level at RB, LB, CB and CM throughout his illustrious career. He really should feature way often in those drafts — when I was looking into the British (and Scottish specifically) football of the 60’s & 70’s he was the player who impressed me the most. Not because he was necessarily the best one but because of his ridiculous consistency and the variety of roles that he was able to perform in without it affecting his game at all.

Didier Deschamps completes the central triangle of death, covering the space in front of defense — the true embodiment of the role of a water-carrier, he had won everything everywhere he went: Euros & World Cup with France, league & CL title with Marseille and 3 league titles as well as 3 successive CL finals (winning 1) with Juve.

Søren Lerby is one of my favourite players of all-time who had the most literal interpretation of a box-to-box role imaginable. In defense, he’d drop behind centre backs to form a back 3 or cover for his left back on a regular basis; in possession, he’d take the ball from a keeper and move it forward — be it by an accurate diagonal ball across the pitch or through an incisive forward run; in attack he’d provide a smart one-two option for his forwards or score himself (he once finished as CL’s top-scorer despite playing in midfield) — that’s when he won’t peel out wide to provide a brilliantly-timed cross into the box. I can’t praise him enough, he was the player that I wanted to build my team around in this draft and I’m quite happy with how it ended up.

On the right I have the real Luis Suárez, the Ballon d’Or-winning midfielder, not the odd-looking hungry for human flesh imposter that we see on another side. His role here is from the very zenith of his career in mid-60’s — a masterful midfield maestro that’s going to control the tempo of the game while also providing a very notable threat attacking-wise. The performance that I have in mind to illustrate his role here is the one from the 1964 Euros final where he had outplayed a very strong Soviet team with peak Voronin trying to contain him — not only did he was the main facilitator of Spain’s attacking game, he had also provide a crucial assist with a well-times cross from the right side.

The attack is very straight-forward with all players assuming their natural roles: Rob Rensenbrink shines as the main man in a free role on the left (in which he had almost managed to win Netherlands its first World Cup in 1978 & lead Anderlecht into their golden era of the 70’s — reaching 3 CWC finals & winning 2, including the one where he had almost single-handedly dismantled Beckenbauer’s Bayern).

The impeccable Denis Law, the best striker on the pitch and that’s saying something, leads the line — he also has freedom to drop deeper or peel out wide if he sees fit with my wingmen, Lerby & Suárez all capable of providing significant goal threat & all being fit for this fluid interchangeable playing style.

Sir Tom Finney is the last piece of the puzzle — he’ll play in a more orthodox role on the right, the role that he had preferred the most, but this is still a player with a deceptively great left foot (he even took set pieces with both left & right foot depending on the angle) and an experience of playing in all 5 of attacking roles in W-M formation.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Good luck @harms , fine team you have there and thanks for setting this up EAP.

I'll just start this off with with some comps on Mozer who deserves more recognition tbh.

While his misfortune at international level was more of an injury issue, his luck on the European stage was not much better either, as he lost TWO European Cup Finals on penalties despite his teams keeping a clean sheets and Mozer himself scoring in both shootouts.

His European Cup run in 87/88 season is particularly impressive, with Benfica having only conceded ONE goal in the entire competition and as I said, they played 120 minutes in the final!

Here is Mozer in action:
Against Prime Weah

Against Great Milan side with Baresi, Rijkaard, Maldini, Gullit etc. His offside traps, against Sacchi's famed Milan no less, were a thing of a beauty!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Redondo/Iniesta seems a bit lightweight in ball recovery etc and would leave a lot on Fabinho. Any comments around that?
Wouldn't say Redondo is a light weight in ball recovery, nor is he a heavy weight either. Fabinho would be the who's tasked with most of the heavy lifting so to speak, with Redondo being the balanced central midfielder and Iniesta and Silva chipping in.

With our playing style featuring the high line as a central aspect, our midfield is more geared towards pressing and defending as a unit. Silva and especially Iniesta are ideal for that, with Shevchenko and Suarez being pests off the ball defensively.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
What a brutally unfortunate draw for a first round match. Love both teams, with Sjorito winning the heart a bit more at first glance. Not sure if I can actually vote against a great team with that Baresi/God CB pairing though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Does Silva fit in a high-press? Any details on his off-the-ball work?
I’d say that his resume that includes the Golden Age of Spanish national team & Pep’s City speaks for itself.

harms

Staff
Wonderful team but looks more like a 4-2-2-2 for me, which is a bit different to a diamond (and I wouldn’t say that Redondo & Iniesta are natural fits for that side midfield roles — while it would be hard to find better players for their respective roles in 4-2-2-2). Semantics though.

harms

Staff
I also feel that my formation gives me a bit of an advantage considering how my defence is set up. John Greig with his versatility and intelligence is going to be able to shift my defense to the left, freeing up Marcelo (with no wingers in Sjor's diamond), in one scenario or to help & reinforce midfield in possession in another one Obviously having almost a superhuman athlete in Paul McGrath, who have played in every role in defense, and Franco Baresi, the greatest defensive mastermind of all-time, is only going to help my defensive line to adapt to the situation more easily.

harms

Staff
Some referential performances:

Will the real Luis Suárez please stand up?

Søren Lerby facing a similarly shaped midfield — French carré magique

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Nothing much to add here, harms has assembled a fine team as always with some of my favorite players, so will make a few points on our side.

The defense is pretty straightforward with two imposing physical specimens, both being adept on the ball with Mozer's distribution in particular being noteworthy. If anything watch Mozer's compilation above for his masterful display against Sacchi's Milan, going toe to toe against Gullit and outwitting Milan at their own game. Their recovery pace allows us to keep a high defensive line and keep it compressed in midfield, enabling our midfield to play their games on & off the ball. Neuer is arguably the greatest in the business as a sweeper keeper, and his composure and ease on the ball is critical to our ability to build from the back.

Amoros & Benarrivo pairing is another highlight with both being two-footed, multifaceted all rounders, equally adept on the ball and off it. Their ability on the ball is really a bonus given our midfield and playing style, given their obvious ability in stretching the play and providing quality service from the wings.

I don't think I need to elaborate much on the midfield - it is the crown jewel of our side and central to our playing style with Don Iniesta and Redondo pulling the strings. They'll play some beautiful footie, no doubt. However, what's most impressive about them is the delicate balance that they strike between exquisite cerebral possession and their trademark sudden burst of impetus. I can't think of a pair who were incredibly difficult to get the ball off of, due to their elegance and intelligence, but ones who were capable of turning it on in style with a jinxing run, or an outrageous piece of skill on the ball. They are ably supported by Silva and Fabinho who are ideal fits and players who'd be on the same wavelength to them. Have to thank Bepo here for sticking to his guns as I can see them gelling together as an unit much better than certain players, who might have brought more to the table as individuals but not necessarily to the team as a whole.

My favorite part of the side is the S&S combo, which is why we secured them fairly early, despite the surplus of top notch centre forwards available. It's a cracking pair which look at home in a possession based side, but a deadly dynamic combo capable of testing any defense with its searing pace, dribbling and flair. Suarez would be the one functioning more as a #9.5 with Sheva being the explosive and probing forward, capable of dropping onto the flanks and incessantly making those trademark runs on and off the ball. Beauty of that combo is that both are capable of inter changing roles and positions without too much of a bother.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I genuinely don't know who would win this. It has draw written all over it.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That is too good a team @harms , flawless. Have built quite a few Finney teams myself, but the team here looks tailor made for him to shine.

But it's dissapointing to see you use Suarez' Inter picture rather than the Barca picture here.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Šjor Bepo @Joga Bonito

A quibble about Iniesta. Won't he have to play deeper like he did with Rakitic which will limit his influence or am I misreading the situation?
He has Redondo to dovetail with, so it isn't like the post Xavi Barca/Spain scenario here where he had to drop deeper to have more of an influence, especially with the playing style of Barca changing significantly with the MSN trio.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Wonderful team but looks more like a 4-2-2-2 for me, which is a bit different to a diamond (and I wouldn’t say that Redondo & Iniesta are natural fits for that side midfield roles — while it would be hard to find better players for their respective roles in 4-2-2-2). Semantics though.
hard disagree on everything bar Redondo, can see the issue there though i reckon he would be able to do it and the second Tigana got picked it was always the plan to get Fabinho to play behind him se he gets more freedom.

Its not a 4222 because there would never be 2 in a base of the midfield. Fabinho is there, 2 centerbacks relatively wide, wingbacks on the line and higher up while Redondo and Iniesta have the job of finding pockets of space in the midfield areas.
If you going possession route with the diamond(and surely if you go diamond possession is the aim) then there is no better player then Iniesta for that LCM spot.

harms

Staff
Well played @harms . Good luck in the future rounds!
Cheers. Sheva & Suárez is a brilliant partnership, really loved the look of it — and nice job on highlighting Mozer!

What would be your alternative line-ups for other formations?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Cheers. Sheva & Suárez is a brilliant partnership, really loved the look of it — and nice job on highlighting Mozer!

What would be your alternative line-ups for other formations?
A 4-3-3 would have Reus coming in for Silva with Sheva on the right.
5-3-2 would have De Boer coming in for Silva.
4-2-3-1 with Reus on the left and Sheva on the right with Iniesta as the #10.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
hard disagree on everything bar Redondo, can see the issue there though i reckon he would be able to do it and the second Tigana got picked it was always the plan to get Fabinho to play behind him se he gets more freedom.

Its not a 4222 because there would never be 2 in a base of the midfield. Fabinho is there, 2 centerbacks relatively wide, wingbacks on the line and higher up while Redondo and Iniesta have the job of finding pockets of space in the midfield areas.
If you going possession route with the diamond(and surely if you go diamond possession is the aim) then there is no better player then Iniesta for that LCM spot.
Tbh, I agree with you especially Redondo for me he fits in your role( he could play both cmf/ diamond mf and dmf) but I also agree with @harms that your team is a bit suited more in 4-2-2-2.

Last edited:

Himannv

I don't get the comment about 4-2-2-2 being more suitable here. I agree about Redondo not really being a side-midfielder but all the others seem fine in their positions in a diamond.