VDS at United Re-visited

El Jefe

Funny thing about Edwin was he got better season after season IMO. To start off with he was steady and that's all we needed after the nightmare of Howard and Carroll taking turns to feck things up but there was nothing great about him.

From 2007/08 onwards though, he was different class. He rarely made highlight saves but it's because he hardly needed to, his positioning and decision making was that good. The biggest complement I can pay him is that I've never been at ease with a GK than I was with VDS. He was great at coming for crosses, organising the back four, kicking with his left and right foot and could make the 1 or 2 key saves he needed to in a game despite being troubled all game.

He was so good in his final season, its just a shame that his final game vs Barca I felt he could've saved Messi and Pedro's goals but its Ed so of course he's forgiven. Despite DDG achieving higher peaks for us, I'd prefer VDS in goal if I was a coach.

MADReaLJL

I agree about Messi's goal in the UCL 10/11 Final. It was a poor goal to let in. If De Gea did that we'd be fuming with it.

But still VDS was a great goalkeeper for us.

POF

Think you're being a tad harsh on Kuszczak there. He played 32 times in the League for us, racking up 16 clean sheets. 6 clean sheets in 11 in UCL, too, including a couple of knock-out games.

Was nerve-racking with his distribution but as a pure shot-stopper he wasn't too shabby for a better 2nd goalie. I think he won 2 or 3 saves of the season awards for what it's worth.

Think we really are spoiled now with our sub GK now.
Kusczcak was a very competent keeper. Never anywhere near as bad as you imply
Kuszczak was awful at United. Good shot stopper but he was incredibly erratic. Whenever he came for a cross you would see Vidic sprint back onto the goalline because it was highly unlikely he'd get anywhere near it.

Van der sar was definitely the right keeper at the right time. After the cavalcade of clowns that came before him, the club needed a good solid keeper who would save what he should save and made very few mistakes.

With the defence he had in front of him, that was the ideal keeper for the team. He did the job superbly and his experience was vital.

But, there's a reason he spent a large part of his career at Fulham and on the bench at Juve. He wasn't elite level and is a clear third place when comparing him to Schmeichel and De Gea.

Skills

Snitch
Kuszczak was awful at United. Good shot stopper but he was incredibly erratic. Whenever he came for a cross you would see Vidic sprint back onto the goalline because it was highly unlikely he'd get anywhere near it.
That's the Kuszczak I remember. If he had any kind of decision to make, there was a good chance he was going to feck it up. Thankfully with Rio/Vida in front of him, he never was put into that kind of position often.

POF

That's the Kuszczak I remember. If he had any kind of decision to make, there was a good chance he was going to feck it up. Thankfully with Rio/Vida in front of him, he never was put into that kind of position often.
If a high ball was landing on the edge of the 6 yard box, I was more confident Vidic would win it with his head than Kuszczak with his hands.

If any keeper should be offended by the OP it's Ben Foster being lumped in with Kuszczak.

Fingeredmouse

If a high ball was landing on the edge of the 6 yard box, I was more confident Vidic would win it with his head than Kuszczak with his hands.

If any keeper should be offended by the OP it's Ben Foster being lumped in with Kuszczak.
Agreed. Foster was decent enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was a fecking phenomenal keeper. Excellent shot stopper, so calm, so reliable, so confident with everything and so commanding that you just didnt worry. And he went like 15 league games with conceding a goal.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Van der sar was definitely the right keeper at the right time. After the cavalcade of clowns that came before him, the club needed a good solid keeper who would save what he should save and made very few mistakes.

With the defence he had in front of him, that was the ideal keeper for the team. He did the job superbly and his experience was vital.

But, there's a reason he spent a large part of his career at Fulham and on the bench at Juve. He wasn't elite level and is a clear third place when comparing him to Schmeichel and De Gea.
Only thing De Gea has over VDS is his reflexes.

VDS is superior in everything else.

POF

Only thing De Gea has over VDS is his reflexes.

VDS is superior in everything else.
The one thing De Gea is/was better at than Van der sar is stopping the ball going into the net. It's reasonably important for a keeper.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He aged like a fine wine and I can see the same thing happens with De Gea. At least I hope so.

That's why when people say We should just sell De Gea right away and get a younger keeper is a bit ridiculous. Not only De Gea is the best keeper We've had since VDS (and He was miles ahead of Romero, Lindegaard, Valdez, also his saves were comparable to Edwin's) but Goal keepers' age should not be an issue unless if He's like 38 or something. In the case of Edwin, the older He got, the safer I felt. Not mentioning the partnership He developed with our CBs over the years and the experience He brought. I would love it if De Gea could follow Edwin's footstep and stays here for years to come. Edwin is a perfect role model for De Gea.

You could say Ediwn made several mistakes but all players made mistake. It's just that for Goalkeepers it's harder to rectify their mistake once it happens, if it leads into a goal.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Nonsense, you don't play 312 times for Ajax, 88 times in two seasons for Juventus, and 266 times for Manchester United, three of the giants of European football if you ain't top bracket, yeah he spent 4 years at Fulham but he was sold the dream they would compete in the market with Chelsea when he joined, but unlike Pierre van Hooijdonk who was promised similar when he joined Forest, he didn't bitch and moan about it till he got sold when those promises weren't met, he was playing top-flight football in England(the Home of great Keepers) and living in London which appeals to most foreigners(for some strange reason)so he was probably happy, the rest is great history.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The one thing De Gea is/was better at than Van der sar is stopping the ball going into the net. It's reasonably important for a keeper.
Bollocks. If Edwin was playing for us last season, we would be playing in the Champions league this season.

Red00012

It didn’t take long for the thread to turn into a DDG shitshow

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bollocks. If Edwin was playing for us last season, we would be playing in the Champions league this season.
Yep, if we had peak Van Der Sar playing instead of De Gea in the middle of his worst ever season then we would probably have been better off. That would be a very strange way of comparing goalkeepers generally though.

Incidentally, VDS similarly had his own nightmare season littered with mistakes. It occurred when he was at Juventus, saw him lose his place in that side and eventually move to (relatively) lowly Fulham. He was also older at that point than De Gea is now. A good example of how even excellent goalkeepers can go through nightmare spells and why judging goalkeepers based on their worst seasons is rather silly. Though Van Der Sar still had his own share of mistakes even during his otherwise highly successful spell here.

The Original

If anything it's the comparisons to Schmeichel and De Gea that are unfair to VDS. He wasn't quite as brilliant as they were at their peaks but then few goalkeepers are.

He was a top class goalkeeper, certainly one of the best in PL history. Crucially, he was also the right goalkeeper for us at the right time given the experience and calm he brought to the team. I remember Evra saying he was the captain of the defence, which is saying something given 3/4 of our back four were literally captains.

If he was a good shot stopper then whateve other flaw he had cant have been bad enough to make him awful. Not elite, yes but awful is an awfully strong word.

Dr Gea for instance is also lacking in the area of dealing with crosses.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
VdS was right up there among Fergie's best value signings. He's one of our best ever keepers, which is saying something as we've had a lot of them.

POF

If he was a good shot stopper then whateve other flaw he had cant have been bad enough to make him awful. Not elite, yes but awful is an awfully strong word.

Dr Gea for instance is also lacking in the area of dealing with crosses.
If a keeper spreads panic through his defence whenever a cross comes into the box, then he's awful in my book.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Disclaimer : I'm a huge Edwin fan, I thought he was a class act & a big part of the late 00s team. But I just want to look over his stint again, and I feel like a few things really seem to go in his favour which probably make his time here appear better than it was? Especially compared to De Gea who came after.

1. The huge list of liabilities that were in our goal after big Pete's retirement meant that once we finally did get a sane keeper in VDS, it probably meant we could really see the difference a goodkeeper makes to your club. I mean Roy Carroll was in goal in the 2005 FA Cup final in the shoot out, and looked like he wasn't getting anywhere near any of Arsenal's penalties. So once VDS came, it was a huge sigh of relief. De Gea obviously followed up VDS himself.
  2. His deputies lets be honest were frankly total shit. Kuszczak & Foster were dreadful keepers & whenever Edwin was missing they let us know exactly what we were missing. Kuszczak cost us a potential treble by getting sent off in that QF against Portsmouth and Foster was a bag of nerves whenever get got anywhere near a United shirt. De Gea's been deputised by Romero who's been very competent.
  3. Anelka's penalty in Moscow really changed the narrative of that CL final. I've watched that final a few times and I think VDS had a poor game. He slipped for the Lampard goal and I recall him making another blunder that he got away with. We were hammering up until that goal if anyone remembers the game.
  4. He also made costly mistakes in the 2009 and 2011 finals. He shouldn't have gotten beaten by Eto'o for the first goal in 2009 and he was weak for Messi's goal in 2011 final. I'd argue he was also caught stuck for Pedro's opening goal too. Barcelona obliterated us all over the pitch though, so his mistakes were the last thing on anyone's mind. But again they were big moments that he made mistakes in.
Agreed that he didn't look like a world class Gk at those CL Finals. He didn't make any save that any decent Gk wouldn't have made. He was easily beaten for those goals you mentioned. He got lucky on CL Final pK with Terry slip.

Web of Bissaka

Though this thread is going to review VDS weaknesses...
but instead focus more on stating his mistakes and performances in 2/3 finals. And his deputies..

I get the points, but does it matter?
Sounds too nitpicking putting the blame on keeper despite the shots (attacks before that) should have been stopped earlier by outfield players.
Also, there are other moments in those finals where he did right.

Other posters have mentioned plenty of his talents and what he bring to the team, so I'll just say his weaknesses.
  1. he tends to spill/parry shots back to the field instead of sideways to the corners -- this is risky as the attacks may continue. This is earlier season though and he improves in this sense seasons onward.
  2. at times, he'll make the risky play for a goalkeeper eg. the flick skill he did when being pressured by a rushing striker, then Rio quickly talked with him afterwards, or even other occassion where he side-step skill tricking onrushing striker, etc. :drool:I mean, it's entertaining and I don't blame him for making that -- we were in control and he must be bored got nothing to do at the back because the defense is so good. Fun but risky.
  3. his left foot is more likely to be miss-kicks, and goes wayward.
  4. his kicking, while it's usually consistently good, at times, it's a pass direct to opposing player in our half.
Not much else to say, because he's that consistent, and all-around complete keeper. If you compare him with a more specialized better shot-stopper then clearly there is a stark difference but I don't think it's fair to say that as weakness. VDS's shot stopping is already at a decent level for top level football and there are the rare occassions he pulled off the world class saves.

Out of our 3 best EPL keepers, VDS maintain being my first choice.

MalcolmTucker

VDS is up there with SAF's best signings but he definitely fecked up in those CL finals, there's no denying.

Falcow

Not way was he overrated but I agree with you on 09 and 11 CL finals. Not that he was the reason why we lost by any stretch but he was very slow to react to those goals, peak Ddg would have saved them. Wouldn't blame him for the Lampard goal at all.

Unbelievable keeper and such a calm reassuring presence. Should have been signed much earlier.

RooneyLegend

He was great without being spectacular. Precisely why Juve replaced him with Buffon. If he was in the side that finished second we wouldn't have been near there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
All good points but still the 2nd best keeper we’ve had in the PL era.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Oh please, with him instead of DDG we would've had several tennis scores against us since Sir Alex left.
De Gea has ended up being a bit of a mid table goalie. He’s cost us badly over the last couple of seasons. Good at making a number of great saves in games for a sixth or seventh place team.

RooneyLegend

De Gea has ended up being a bit of a mid table goalie. He’s cost us badly over the last couple of seasons. Good at making a number of great saves in games for a sixth or seventh place team.
More like good at carrying a bunch of no hopers to 2nd place. He was maybe mid table last season but certainly not this one.

He's been here for a long time, you can't reduce it to the last little while. He's been in the team of the year 5 times or something like that. That's despite playing in a useless side for the most part. Lest we forget he's even won a title here.

Tarrou

the calmest keeper I've ever seen

it had an enormous effect on the rest of the team too

immense signing and integral to our success in that period

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If anything it's the comparisons to Schmeichel and De Gea that are unfair to VDS. He wasn't quite as brilliant as they were at their peaks but then few goalkeepers are.

He was a top class goalkeeper, certainly one of the best in PL history. Crucially, he was also the right goalkeeper for us at the right time given the experience and calm he brought to the team. I remember Evra saying he was the captain of the defence, which is saying something given 3/4 of our back four were literally captains.
He was a hybrid of the best bits of them both. Maybe didn't have the all out attributes of either of them, but was just as competent and as important.

I find it very difficult to seperate all three.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Oh please, with him instead of DDG we would've had several tennis scores against us since Sir Alex left.
Edwin was 40 years and 211 days old when he played his last match for United in 2011, and he's 49½ now so we may well have conceded more with him in goal instead of De Gea since SAF retired, but tennis scores is harsh, have you been on the Deuce?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Still goes underrated and I probably under appreciated him at the time. Seems like he’s rarely mentioned outside of here when talking about great keepers

Nikelesh Reddy

Disclaimer : I'm a huge Edwin fan, I thought he was a class act & a big part of the late 00s team. But I just want to look over his stint again, and I feel like a few things really seem to go in his favour which probably make his time here appear better than it was? Especially compared to De Gea who came after.

1. The huge list of liabilities that were in our goal after big Pete's retirement meant that once we finally did get a sane keeper in VDS, it probably meant we could really see the difference a goodkeeper makes to your club. I mean Roy Carroll was in goal in the 2005 FA Cup final in the shoot out, and looked like he wasn't getting anywhere near any of Arsenal's penalties. So once VDS came, it was a huge sigh of relief. De Gea obviously followed up VDS himself.
  2. His deputies lets be honest were frankly total shit. Kuszczak & Foster were dreadful keepers & whenever Edwin was missing they let us know exactly what we were missing. Kuszczak cost us a potential treble by getting sent off in that QF against Portsmouth and Foster was a bag of nerves whenever get got anywhere near a United shirt. De Gea's been deputised by Romero who's been very competent.
  3. Anelka's penalty in Moscow really changed the narrative of that CL final. I've watched that final a few times and I think VDS had a poor game. He slipped for the Lampard goal and I recall him making another blunder that he got away with. We were hammering up until that goal if anyone remembers the game.
  4. He also made costly mistakes in the 2009 and 2011 finals. He shouldn't have gotten beaten by Eto'o for the first goal in 2009 and he was weak for Messi's goal in 2011 final. I'd argue he was also caught stuck for Pedro's opening goal too. Barcelona obliterated us all over the pitch though, so his mistakes were the last thing on anyone's mind. But again they were big moments that he made mistakes in.
Nah,let’s not indulge in nitpicking...He was a phenomenal signing...When you consider the price that we paid for him and the incredible service that he gave to the club,one can’t help but conclude that he was a smashing success.We had the most successful period in the history of the club with him between the sticks,so in my mind atleast he’s a United legend...

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
No I won't hear a word said against him. I rate him higher than De Gea overall he was more consistent.
I was wavering when De Gea was dragging us through seasons as PotS but now I'm comfortably Pete - Edwin - David in my PL keepers. At his best De Gea has been insanely good and the players in front of him aren't fit to lace the boots of VdS's colleagues but as you say the Dutchman's consistency over his time here was just fantastic.

diarm

De Gea is the better shot stopper (and possibly the best shot stopper of all time imo) but Van der Sar was the more rounded goalkeeper for me. Making saves is a hugely important part of being a keeper, but by being stronger in other key areas like communication, leadership and command of your box, you can lower the number of shots you'll ever have to face.

De Gea is weak in quite a few areas other than shot stopping and as such, his reflexes are probably called upon more often than a Schmiechel or a Van der Sars would be behind the same defenders. A young centre back playing in front of one of those two was given a footballing education on the job while I can't imagine De Gea saying much at all during games. Certainly there isn't much in terms of intimidation or physicality from him and he's not bullying many players out of the way when claiming crosses or through balls.

I've great respect for De Gea and his ability, but I want more leadership and presence from a Manchester United keeper than he's ever offered. Schmeichel and Van der Sar still edge him for me. It's a bit like Van Nistelrooy being probably the best goal scorer I've seen in a United shirt, but a long way down my list of favourite attackers - you can be the best at the key part of your job, but to be a United great you need to give more.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If we're talking about penalty saving, De Gea is one of the worst facing penalties that I've ever seen. He seems somehow to make himself smaller and we almost might as well have no one in the goal instead and hope that it confuses the taker, or put Maguire in there - he's bound to get his huge heed to one or two