Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People forget he's 23. That's around the age we signed Rio.
Think the people writing him off are crazy.
He had a decent second half to the season.

haram

Good to hear he played well. If they had lost 3-0 I can imagine the kind of stuff that would have been said.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Not a good comparison. At least not one that would make Lindelof look any better. Rio Ferdinand was already a Jag coming in.

ti vu

His best game so far in this WC. Composed and calm.
He only played 2 games :lol:

Not that I disagree, but it's funny thing to say. I have to say this is the best I ever seen of him (few Benfica and previous games for Swede NT)

Minimalist

He was as good as anyone after Smalling. Him and Bailly are about the same deal.

Given he's only been about for a season I'd be surprised if we binned him so soon.

Bobski

Missed the game today(envious of those who did not given the Germany madness) but did Lindelof show more assertiveness in his general defending?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He only played 2 games :lol:

Not that I disagree, but it's funny thing to say. I have to say this is the best I ever seen of him (few Benfica and previous games for Swede NT)
Against Germany he was a little bit rusty and you could see his confidence wasn’t 100%. Today he had a good start and with growing self confidence he starters to look like the player we saw in Sweden’s WC qualifiers. Step by step my friend is how you rebuild your confidence.

His best game ever was against France in Sweden’s WCQ in June 2017. Not even a contest. If he can replicate performances like this he has a future with United.

hungrywing

Victor Lindelof’s game by numbers vs Mexico: 100% tackles won 11 defensive actions 7 clearances 2 aerial duels won 0 fouls committed

That is a great showing. Hope he kicks on next season as I still strongly feel that he can be a great CB for us.
TBF those were probably against Mexico's five-foot forwards.

He was excellent. Granqvist and himself complement eachother very well.
Why are there so many people spelling this word correctly.

Is this the Twilight Zone version of the caf.

Leif GW

He was excellent. Granqvist and himself complement eachother very well.
Granqvist is a true leader and likes to be at the forefront of his defense. Allows for Lindelof to just be cool and clean up behind Granqvist.

Man Utd lack that type of player in the centre defense. Maybe Bailly could become the one?

AshRK

He will look immense with an aggressive defender like Vidic or even bailly. Problem is smalling. He never comprehends anyone. I would prefer to see lindelof than smalling.

Hojoon

He has pretty good potential like Bailly, reads the game well. Needs to bulk up and be more confident.

A-man

His aerial ability is an absolute joke tbh. Several times I noticed dangerous crosses from Germany into his area and he didn't even jump for the ball!

Old man Granqvist was miles better than him.
He is not good in the air, but you are exaggerating a bit. Granqvist won two aerial duels in the match against Germany and lost none. Lindelof didn’t win any but didn’t lose any either. His way of playing is not about clearances and tackles but about reading the game and positioning. Think that was clearly shown today against Mexico. Doesn’t shine in the stats but so far I have nothing to complain about the Swedish defence so far in the WC or the qualification matches.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looks like a defensive midfielder being played out of position at centre back. I think he could be a long term replacement for Matic.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Couldn't watch the game so very pleased to hear he performed well. Hope he keeps it up and brings the good form back to us.

Ekeke

He was in position to make a decent amount of clearances.

Everything else Granqvist was much better at. Including on the ball as Lindelof made just 15 passes with 53.3% accuracy

Ekeke

Victor Lindelof’s game by numbers vs Mexico: 100% tackles won 11 defensive actions 7 clearances 2 aerial duels won 0 fouls committed

That is a great showing. Hope he kicks on next season as I still strongly feel that he can be a great CB for us.
:lol:

Its always funny when people post that stat. I know right away that when I check it, it'll be to hide that they made a very low amount of tackles.

For example Lindelof made 1 tackle today. 0 Interceptions as well and terrible on the ball.

If thats great we're going to be a very average team

A-man

Couldn't watch the game so very pleased to hear he performed well. Hope he keeps it up and brings the good form back to us.
He had a good match, and so had the whole Swedish team. Most papers gave him a 7 /10 and Granqvist a 7 or 8/10. For me, Granqvist was MotM especially with his ice cold penalty.

A-man

Its always funny when people post that stat. I know right away that when I check it, it'll be to hide that they made a very low amount of tackles.

For example Lindelof made 1 tackle today. 0 Interceptions as well and terrible on the ball.

Only stats that count: zero goals conceded (again) and 3 points.

I know you have an agenda, but your timing is poor. The whole Swedish defence was good tonight.

Ekeke

Only stats that count: zero goals conceded (again) and 3 points.

I know you have an agenda, but your timing is poor. The whole Swedish defence was good tonight.
Just keeping your nonsense in check. He was slightly better than his usual self defensively, not very involved most of the time but was in position to clear the ball a good amount of times at the end of attacks.

He was worse on the ball than normal. Much worse than Smalling for example. Made less passes than Smalling normally makes and I can't remember any time that Smalling has had such a low passing % as 53.3% which is horrible for a CB.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

You’re one of my favorite posters Ekeke but regarding Viggo you completely miss understand what kind of player he is.

This guy isn’t about tackles and man2man duels. That’s not his game. His strength is reading the game and to adapt and complement his partner in best possible way.

Secondly he wasn’t terrible with the ball. Then you don’t pay attention how the Swedish set up and formation works. Centre back isn’t supposed to carry the ball forward and leave empty spaces behind them. It happened once against Mexico and Viggo instantly understood his adventure was a mistake. Sweden’s game plan is to keep their formation in shape and not open up to counter attacks, they don’t have the technical ability and speed to do this.

There are plenty of things to criticize but today was the day to praise Victor Lindelöf because he has been under enormous pressure the last season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just keeping your nonsense in check. He was slightly better than his usual self defensively, not very involved most of the time but was in position to clear the ball a good amount of times at the end of attacks.

He was worse on the ball than normal. Much worse than Smalling for example. Made less passes than Smalling normally makes and I can't remember any time that Smalling has had such a low passing % as 53.3% which is horrible for a CB.
Did you even watch the game?

Ekeke

You’re one of my favorite posters Ekeke but regarding Viggo you completely miss understand what kind of player he is.

This guy isn’t about tackles and man2man duels. That’s not his game. His strength is reading the game and to adapt and complement his partner in best possible way.

Secondly he wasn’t terrible with the ball. Then you don’t pay attention how the Swedish set up and formation works. Centre back isn’t supposed to carry the ball forward and leave empty spaces behind them. It happened once against Mexico and Viggo instantly understood his adventure was a mistake. Sweden’s game plan is to keep their formation in shape and not open up to counter attacks, they don’t have the technical ability and speed to do this.

There are plenty of things to criticize but today was the day to praise Victor Lindelöf because he has been under enormous pressure the last season.
I didnt comment at all about him carrying the ball out. I commented on him misplacing almost exactly half his passes despite playing a small amount. Smalling is brutalized every game by posters for not passing well but he never has games where his passing is that bad.

A-man

What nonsense?

Yes he had low passing percentage which normally is his strength. What about it? Are you saying Smalling is better with the ball? Or just trying your best to avoid the fact that he had several good games in the national team?

It is weird and a bit unusual for me with so called supporters who hate their own players even after they had good games.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Rio made 1 tackle per game in 09/10 in the PL. 0,7 in the CL.

Ekeke

Rio made 1 tackle per game in 09/10 in the PL. 0,7 in the CL.
I was laughing at the poster's attempt not to mention that there was only 1 tackle. I dont think that alone says he had a good or bad game, or that hes a good or bad player. Its one of a number of things a defender should be doing.

Today the more important part was his passing being so bad.

A-man

To most people, especially United fans, the most important is that he had a good game and another clean sheet. For you ‘the more important part’ is that he missed seven passes...

Ekeke

To most people, especially United fans, the most important is that he had a good game and another clean sheet. For you ‘the more important part’ is that he missed seven passes...
No, its that he managed 7 accurate passes over 90 minutes

settembrini

He is not good in the air, but you are exaggerating a bit. Granqvist won two aerial duels in the match against Germany and lost none. Lindelof didn’t win any but didn’t lose any either.
I call it like I see it, and I see Lindelof being hopeless in the air and often not even competing almost every time I watch him.

8:20. Let's Gomez win a header in the Swedish box without even challenging him.
9:35. Dangerous cross put into the Swedish box that again he doesn't even jump for.

Anyone can go a match without losing an aerial dual if they literally refuse to compete for the ball when it's in the air.

dutchred

He had a very good game. He needs a leader next to him. Maybe that can be Bailly but maybe Sriniar

Ekeke

I call it like I see it, and I see Lindelof being hopeless in the air and often not even competing almost every time I watch him.

8:20. Let's Gomez win a header in the Swedish box without even challenging him.
9:35. Dangerous cross put into the Swedish box that again he doesn't even jump for.

Anyone can go a match without losing an aerial dual if they literally refuse to compete for the ball when it's in the air.
The same with percentage of tackles won. If you don't try to tackle someone you can't fail at it. Not that I saw Lindelof doing that today so this isnt so much about Lindelof, but about people using that stat.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I was laughing at the poster's attempt not to mention that there was only 1 tackle. I dont think that alone says he had a good or bad game, or that hes a good or bad player. Its one of a number of things a defender should be doing.

I’m not even sure a tackle is something a defender «should be doing». Its often a last ditch call with high risk of resulting in a foul in a dangerous position. Some great players, like Rio, managed to be in a position where they did not have to tackle.

Ferguson once acknowledge that he made a mistake misinterpreting statistic when he sold Stam. He noticed that his tackling numbers where in decline and figured it was an indication that the player was in decline. In fact, he was just getting wiser.*

His passing was probably according to instruction. Not to miss every pass, but not to play the ball in defence. Obviously due to the high press through the middle deployed by Mexico to make Hummels and Boateng look silly.

- He received seven passes today,
- 14 of his 15 passes was passes forward,
- Every single player in the Sweden defence made few passes,
- He played with high risk and about a third of his passes was in behind Mexicos defence. His number of passes or passing accuracy really dont matter much taking into account the game plan.

* https://www.ft.com/content/9471db52-97bb-11e0-9c37-00144feab49a

zarrelito

Supports
Djurgårdens IF
Victor Lindelof’s game by numbers vs Mexico:

100% tackles won
11 defensive actions
7 clearances
2 aerial duels won
0 fouls committed

Ekeke

I’m not even sure a tackle is something a defender «should be doing». Its often a last ditch call with high risk of resulting in a foul in a dangerous position. Some great players, like Rio, managed to be in a position where they did not have to tackle.

Ferguson once acknowledge that he made a mistake misinterpreting statistic when he sold Stam. He noticed that his tackling numbers where in decline and figured it was an indication that the player was in decline. In fact, he was just getting wiser.*

His passing was probably according to instruction. Not to miss every pass, but not to play the ball in defence. Obviously due to the high press through the middle deployed by Mexico to make Hummels and Boateng look silly.

- He received seven passes today,
- 14 of his 15 passes was passes forward,
- Every single player in the Sweden defence made few passes,
- He played with high risk and about a third of his passes was in behind Mexicos defence. His number of passes or passing accuracy really dont matter much taking into account the game plan.

* https://www.ft.com/content/9471db52-97bb-11e0-9c37-00144feab49a
I think making a tackle when needed is clearly something a CB needs to do. Its just not the only thing. They also need to be in the right position to get on the end of balls into the box like Lindelof did today. They also need to be willing to step up and intercept passes into the feet of the striker like Smalling did a lot of last season. Or win the majority of the balls in the air with their head. Its a collection of different skills needed to be a good defender but having 1 or 2 of them be weaker than most is never a good sign because it only takes 1 of those skills coming up short for an opponent to score and if the opponents play to that strength knowing about the weakness in the defenders makeup its far more likely to happen.

I personally thought he was okay/average today. But giving the ball away so much helped Mexico dominate the ball. Yes there was 1 outfield passer who had an even worse pass percentage than Lindelof but that player doesnt and wont ever play for United. On the whole Lindelof reminds me of Evans but I think Evans was a bit better at this point in his career.

To me Granqvist is the one who looks a pretty good CB.

simmee

Trying to make it out like he had a bad game based on the passing stat :lol: I love people that only drives their agenda, really adds to the forum. Watch the game and try to understand Sweden’s tactic then attempt to make your point without sounding like a tool.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think making a tackle when needed is clearly something a CB needs to do. Its just not the only thing. They also need to be in the right position to get on the end of balls into the box like Lindelof did today. They also need to be willing to step up and intercept passes into the feet of the striker like Smalling did a lot of last season. Or win the majority of the balls in the air with their head. Its a collection of different skills needed to be a good defender but having 1 or 2 of them be weaker than most is never a good sign because it only takes 1 of those skills coming up short for an opponent to score and if the opponents play to that strength knowing about the weakness in the defenders makeup its far more likely to happen.

I personally thought he was okay/average today. But giving the ball away so much helped Mexico dominate the ball. Yes there was 1 outfield passer who had an even worse pass percentage than Lindelof but that player doesnt and wont ever play for United. On the whole Lindelof reminds me of Evans but I think Evans was a bit better at this point in his career.

To me Granqvist is the one who looks a pretty good CB.
But Sweden never had any intention of dominating the ball. The most important part fot Sweden was not losing the ball in the wrong area of the pitch. And Lindelof did not. So I feel you are basing you argument on a misunderstanding of Swedens plan and intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.