Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

Defies belief he got a new contract. There's something wrong with this club.
This. Rojo needs to be shipped out asap and take Jones with him.

I don´t understand why people are on Lindelöf´s back here he had a shaky season but he is young and looks like he could mature into a fine CB.
People need to stop playing Football manager and FIFA, real life isn´t all that similar.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This. Rojo needs to be shipped out asap and take Jones with him.

I don´t understand why people are on Lindelöf´s back here he had a shaky season but he is young and looks like he could mature into a fine CB.
People need to stop playing Football manager and FIFA, real life isn´t all that similar.
I don't think you can say the reason people don't rate Lindelof is because of Football Manager and FIFA.

Why has that become something that is thrown at people as soon as they don't think a player is that good?

The reason I don't rate Lindelof is because I've watched him play for one whole season at Manchester United with my own eyes. I have seen nothing to suggest he is anything special, and I honestly don't expect him to be around for that long.

That's just my opinion, it may be right, it may be wrong, but has nothing to do with video games.

A-man

On the flip side if you watched Serbia you'd see that Matic did the exact same thing he did at United. Always came deep to pick the ball up off the Cbs with a short pass. Its not because our CBs cant pass the ball, its because Matic wants to be on the ball as much as possible. So don't expect that to change regardless of who we have in at CB. Thats how he likes to play and one of the reasons he plays so many passes and has a lot of touches over the course of a game.

Also Lindelof takes the longer set pieces for Sweden. So he doesn't exactly want to be the one going up for set pieces. Especially as he's not particularly good at winning headers or being physical in the box.
Yes Matic falling deep to collect the ball is definitely bad for someone like Lindelof who likes to hit long balls and to advance with the ball. And I agree that will not change with another CB. But I find that a problem as it takes away one important dimension that is important in modern football.

About the setpieces, I don’t know what I wanted to say with that :) it was just an observation. I think it is clearly the way to go to use Smalling in the box as he is great in the air. And even though Lindelof is not that fast, he is good at reading the game and could stop counter attacks. That is also how the winning goal against Arsenal came. Lindelof intercepting a counter attack after a setpieces. Ball going to Young who found Fellaini.

Ekeke

Yes Matic falling deep to collect the ball is definitely bad for someone like Lindelof who likes to hit long balls and to advance with the ball. And I agree that will not change with another CB. But I find that a problem as it takes away one important dimension that is important in modern football.

About the setpieces, I don’t know what I wanted to say with that :) it was just an observation. I think it is clearly the way to go to use Smalling in the box as he is great in the air. And even though Lindelof is not that fast, he is good at reading the game and could stop counter attacks. That is also how the winning goal against Arsenal came. Lindelof intercepting a counter attack after a setpieces. Ball going to Young who found Fellaini.
True. I think he can probably do that job whilst taking our deep set pieces (if we choose him to do that like Sweden do). After he takes the kick he can get right back in position to defend

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
On the flip side if you watched Serbia you'd see that Matic did the exact same thing he did at United. Always came deep to pick the ball up off the Cbs with a short pass. Its not because our CBs cant pass the ball, its because Matic wants to be on the ball as much as possible. So don't expect that to change regardless of who we have in at CB. Thats how he likes to play and one of the reasons he plays so many passes and has a lot of touches over the course of a game.

Also Lindelof takes the longer set pieces for Sweden. So he doesn't exactly want to be the one going up for set pieces. Especially as he's not particularly good at winning headers or being physical in the box.
That is fine, his passing is still useful when Matic is being pressed when he comes deep for the ball. He can play 1-2s to get Matic or Pogba free from defensive pressure and in case of Pogba, it might even help him on his way to start a mini-counter to the press, that is still something Smalling cannot do.

Ekeke

That is fine, his passing is still useful when Matic is being pressed when he comes deep for the ball. He can play 1-2s to get Matic or Pogba free from defensive pressure and in case of Pogba, it might even help him on his way to start a mini-counter to the press, that is still something Smalling cannot do.
Yes of course its still useful.

I just dont think the team would dramatically change if we had Baresi at CB, because Matic likes to come deep and collect the ball all the time.

A-man

If Matic and Pogba didn’t come deep, that would also mean that there were two more players for the CB to target with passes and long balls.

Last edited:

simmee

He did the same vs Switzerland which created Ekdal's chance. (Stopped a counter attack and played a great pass)

He's very good at making his interceptions/tackles to a pass to a teammate as well.

A-man

He did the same vs Switzerland which created Ekdal's chance. (Stopped a counter attack and played a great pass)

He's very good at making his interceptions/tackles to a pass to a teammate as well.
Definitely, but we haven’t seen much of that in a United. Saving it for second season :)

arthurka

I don't think you can say the reason people don't rate Lindelof is because of Football Manager and FIFA.

Why has that become something that is thrown at people as soon as they don't think a player is that good?

The reason I don't rate Lindelof is because I've watched him play for one whole season at Manchester United with my own eyes. I have seen nothing to suggest he is anything special, and I honestly don't expect him to be around for that long.

That's just my opinion, it may be right, it may be wrong, but has nothing to do with video games.
No everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fans just need to understand these are humans who perform differently under different circumstances.
FIFA and Manager games have not helped those poor souls.

Ekeke

No everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fans just need to understand these are humans who perform differently under different circumstances.
FIFA and Manager games have not helped those poor souls.
I dunno how you worked this out but Lindelof has better passing in Fifa than our other CBs.

Considering how much everyone here likes to hype up CBs who are good on the ball, Fifa would actually be telling these people he's what they want. So its surely a boost not a hindrance to him.

I dont own FM but I wouldnt be surprised if its similar there.

Bobski

His weakness in the air may be too much of an issue to overcome, especially in the PL. He doesn't even have a dedicated marking job on corners.

Zoo

He has done really well so far and won numerous duels with Kane. Just played that pass forward leading to that great chance for Sweden.

Bobski

Sweden are doing zonal marking, he hasnt really given Kane a touch.

Is Lindelof Swedish for Fellaini or something?
He has played well in general play, some nice moments with the ball as well, but that aerial issue does worry me. Don't think you can pair him with Bailly with both them being sub par in that area, that might have been the plan when the signing was made. He certainly reads the game fairly well but poor in the air and not very quick.

Last edited:

Trollholken

Thought he was superb today despite the loss. Proved that he can play at the highest level. He will indispensable for United

Ekeke

Sweden looked far more nervous defensively than in the other matches I've seen of them this world cup. Today the only one who still did a good job was Granqvist imo, both fullbacks had some bad moments, Lindelof less involved again and had a mixed bag - one good tackle coming back with Sterling, then the next time playing him onside when he went through on goal and the keeper and Granqvist sorted it out.

Lindelof was on the ball more than he normally has been from the other matches I saw, nothing really of note to say about it other than he made a few more passes than the other matches

Lets just say if he was a player from another team we wouldnt be talking about him today

Fredrik.A

Sweden looked far more nervous defensively than in the other matches I've seen of them this world cup. Today the only one who still did a good job was Granqvist imo, both fullbacks had some bad moments, Lindelof less involved again and had a mixed bag - one good tackle coming back with Sterling, then the next time playing him onside when he went through on goal and the keeper and Granqvist sorted it out.

Lindelof was on the ball more than he normally has been from the other matches I saw, nothing really of note to say about it other than he made a few more passes than the other matches

Lets just say if he was a player from another team we wouldnt be talking about him today

Lindelöf was by far the best player in Sweden today. Please stop your agenda.

AKDevil

Thought he was excellent today, especially in his duels with Kane. Can be very proud of himself and return with more confidence than he showed last season. Doesn’t look like a back four/three leader himself but alongside a solid partner clearly good. I also wonder how much the defensive nature of Sweden setup helps/protects him.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Lindelof was amazing today. Had Kane in his pocket the whole match. I wonder if Kane even won a single areal duel against him today. Pity the rest of our team did their worst performance so far in the world cup.

Litch

Excellent today and like Felliani proved a lot of people wrong on here....

Bobski

Thought he was excellent today, especially in his duels with Kane. Can be very proud of himself and return with more confidence than he showed last season. Doesn’t look like a back four/three leader himself but alongside a solid partner clearly good. I also wonder how much the defensive nature of Sweden setup helps/protects him.
You think of the games he looked most comfortable in last year and they tended to be in Europe. Less physical game, Utd pushing forward in the group matches, Lindelof could play on the front foot, read the game and distribute the ball. He is not a backs against the wall defender. I have my doubts but I am interested to see if this WC proves a evolutionary process for him, bring more confidence to his game, too many of his early games for Utd he looked scared of the stage.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
TBF Kane ended up in Smalling's pockets too. There again Lindelof had a great game today.

izec

I think he was decent, nothing more. Your typical calm and hidden Lindelöf performance. He isnt outstanding though. 6/10 performance. Could play for England instead of Stones and you wouldnt see the change. He is just another body out there, but at least he doesnt make mistakes, thats an improvement already. Will shit the bed once he wears the United shirt.

Sanche7

Oh yes FIFA 18 ratings and Whoscored stats, the best way to outline a player's performance :rolleyes:

Ekeke

I think he was decent, nothing more. Your typical calm and hidden Lindelöf performance. He isnt outstanding though. 6/10 performance. Could play for England instead of Stones and you wouldnt see the change. He is just another body out there, but at least he doesnt make mistakes, thats an improvement already. Will shit the bed once he wears the United shirt.
Pretty much. Wasnt bad like he was when he first signed for us, just not very involved and had 1 good moment and 1 bad moment defensively

simmee

Was afraid he wouldn't be able to handle Kane today but he did it brilliantly. I like how he often makes his interceptions/clearances in to a pass, something people who only look at stats won't appreciate.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

I’m not sure what your agenda is? Granqvist had his worst game of the WC but I don’t blame him, the English players had skills who’s hard to handle for a team like Sweden. Every corner and set pieces was potentially a serious goal scoring opportunity. Sterling provided acceleration and speed and Kane is always difficult to defend against so I can’t take your criticism seriously. What do you expect? Sweden to nullify one of the best NT in the world?

Lindelöf did what he was supposed to do and was without a doubt Sweden’s best defender, any other conclusion is bogus because he handled Kane as good as you can do with Sterling, Alli and Lingard around. The first goal was excellent executed by Maguire so I don’t blame any Swedish player for that goal. Maybe zonal marking was a better option but it’s easy to be critical after the game. No defender could have prevented Alli to score the second one, let’s just accept it was quality and leave it there.

All in all Victor can be proud of his first WC adventure and come back to Manchester with confidence and self belief.

AKDevil

Tbh what is that, in terms of what is that supposed to prove? It’s certainly nothing that would make me laugh at the poster’s view or say they were wrong. It looks like just one person’s opinion and as valid as the poster.

Ekeke

Before I start, because I know how hysterical posters can (will) be :

What I'm about to post are just some facts that show what I mean when I've said that Lindelof is a very passive defender. This is about establishing the type of player he is and comparing it to the other CBs around.

Being a passive defender doesn't automatically mean that he's not as good as a more active or aggressive CB.

But he is a passive defender and this is what I mean by that :

Lindelof has the 9th least attempted tackles of all CBs at the World Cup who played more than 2 matches (2 matches seems far too little to judge a player on). Doesnt mean a lot on its own, but...

Lindelof also made the 3rd lowest amount of interceptions as a CB who played more than 2 matches at the World Cup. At this point the only other CB on both lists is Varane of France.

He attempted the 9th least headed duels of all CBs in the world cup to have played more than 2 matches. At least he has a higher win percentage of those he tried to win compared to the other CBs who tried to win few headers.

Lindelof made the 2nd least fouls of all CBs in the world cup who played more than 2 matches. Again it doesnt mean anything on its own, in fact if he had been winning the ball a lot then making so few fouls would be a good thing. But when you look at his lack of ball winning and headed attempts its just another part of the passive pattern.

Now its important to also look at where he doesnt appear in these lists of low actions. Two of note are :

Clearances

Averaging 5.3 per game thats a lot healthier than the rest of this. So when the ball came into the box he did a fine job of trying to get something of the ball, showing that he most likely had good defensive positioning. That would be the 18th most of all CBs in the world cup who played more than 2 matches. Not amazing but definitely closer to the top than the bottom.

Shots Blocked

Averaging 0.5 per game Lindelof comes in at 37th of the 51CBs on the entire list. This time he's a bit closer to the least than the most but its a perfectly healthy number on its own.

Just to mention, Granqvist - Lindelof's CB partner for Sweden was towards the top of a lot of these fields. He's a more aggressive and active CB who had a great World Cup. This shows that there was plenty of opportunities to win the ball in these ways but Granqvist took on the responsibility to do it, while Lindelof was passive and became more active when the ball was in and around his own box.

There are some stats that arent on Whoscored. I'm not sure they are on another site and they may not be. Things like how often a player he's marking wins the ball. Something like that would be useful to help fill out the full picture. But I dont think that stat is available.

I'm not sure theres anywhere to find out how often a CB plays a player onside and they receive the ball. That would be another useful stat to round out the picture. Its something that happened a single time against England as he played Sterling onside. But how often did it happen over the course of all his matches at the world cup? I dont know.

And another useful stat would be how often a CB wins the ball as the last man before the keeper is called into action. This was something Lindelof did once against England where Sterling was running through, he came across and won the ball to cover his defense that time.

These could all be useful stats but I'm not sure if or where they would be available.

So overall Lindelof is a passive defender who tends to only come into action defensively when the ball is in and around his box. He'll block some shots, he'll make some clearances. But until that point he's less aggressive than most CBs.

Going back to the beginning of the post. Being a passive style CB isn't necessarily always a bad thing. So long as the CB is there to always make the clearances and pressure someone trying to take a shot and perhaps block it then you can get by.

However more active and aggressive CBs are likely to stop moves a lot earlier on before they become dangerous and need those box clearances or blocked shots. Personally I value this and I'm not a big fan of a CB who will only be making challenges when 1 mistake leads to a good chance on goal.

So contrary to the childish belief of more than 1 poster, I don't hate Lindelof. I guarantee I pay more attention to him than most. But he is a certain type of defender that I'm not a big fan of. Its not my preference and I do question how good that type of CB is.

Managers will often prefer a certain player over another because they have a preference of a style of player.

It doesnt mean that they hate a player because they pick someone else.

It means they value a different style of player more.

There is no hatred.

Comments that suggest hatred towards a player are a very childish defense mechanism for someone to use when they simply cant be bothered to discuss an alternate opinion because they believe themselves to have such a perfect knowledge of football that they couldnt possibly ever be wrong. Oftentimes however the alternative opinion may involve a lot more research than their own.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I liked his performance today and it's the first time I say that this WC. If only because he didn't look scared and made some key clearances.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is positive from Lindelof, a very good world cup. But he was also good for Sweden before he signed for us.

This is a player that is clearly being affected by the pressure of a big club. Hopefully he can handle it next season

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
Lindelof has been one of the best defenders in the world cup. He has always been stable while playing for Sweden, but this WC rised to a new level, playing like a world-class defender. He has been our best player throughout the tournament, all pundits seem to be agree. Granqvist has been great to, but has done some few mistakes, but obviously scored two goals. Lindelof on the other hand, i cant remember him doing a single mistake in the whole tournament. He won almost every areal duels against Kane, and had no problem standing against the german attacking side. He has been great.

This world cup, Lindelof showed that he is a world class player, while only being 24 years old. Sweden is lucky to have him in our defensive line for many years forward. And I really hope he will continue this class when he comes back to England.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Needs the manager to show faith in him. Mourinho needs to decide his pairing for the future and stick with it.

haram

Needs the manager to show faith in him. Mourinho needs to decide his pairing for the future and stick with it.
It would be easier to form a pairing if we had a complete CB that played every week.

Hojoon

We should have a gym routine for him to be sturdier, because that's the difference between him not being a starter and being one of the best defenders in the world. He reads the game so well.

manunited1919

Before I start, because I know how hysterical posters can (will) be :

What I'm about to post are just some facts that show what I mean when I've said that Lindelof is a very passive defender. This is about establishing the type of player he is and comparing it to the other CBs around.

Being a passive defender doesn't automatically mean that he's not as good as a more active or aggressive CB.

But he is a passive defender and this is what I mean by that :

Lindelof has the 9th least attempted tackles of all CBs at the World Cup who played more than 2 matches (2 matches seems far too little to judge a player on). Doesnt mean a lot on its own, but...

Lindelof also made the 3rd lowest amount of interceptions as a CB who played more than 2 matches at the World Cup. At this point the only other CB on both lists is Varane of France.

He attempted the 9th least headed duels of all CBs in the world cup to have played more than 2 matches. At least he has a higher win percentage of those he tried to win compared to the other CBs who tried to win few headers.

Lindelof made the 2nd least fouls of all CBs in the world cup who played more than 2 matches. Again it doesnt mean anything on its own, in fact if he had been winning the ball a lot then making so few fouls would be a good thing. But when you look at his lack of ball winning and headed attempts its just another part of the passive pattern.

Now its important to also look at where he doesnt appear in these lists of low actions. Two of note are :

Clearances

Averaging 5.3 per game thats a lot healthier than the rest of this. So when the ball came into the box he did a fine job of trying to get something of the ball, showing that he most likely had good defensive positioning. That would be the 18th most of all CBs in the world cup who played more than 2 matches. Not amazing but definitely closer to the top than the bottom.

Shots Blocked

Averaging 0.5 per game Lindelof comes in at 37th of the 51CBs on the entire list. This time he's a bit closer to the least than the most but its a perfectly healthy number on its own.

Just to mention, Granqvist - Lindelof's CB partner for Sweden was towards the top of a lot of these fields. He's a more aggressive and active CB who had a great World Cup. This shows that there was plenty of opportunities to win the ball in these ways but Granqvist took on the responsibility to do it, while Lindelof was passive and became more active when the ball was in and around his own box.

There are some stats that arent on Whoscored. I'm not sure they are on another site and they may not be. Things like how often a player he's marking wins the ball. Something like that would be useful to help fill out the full picture. But I dont think that stat is available.

I'm not sure theres anywhere to find out how often a CB plays a player onside and they receive the ball. That would be another useful stat to round out the picture. Its something that happened a single time against England as he played Sterling onside. But how often did it happen over the course of all his matches at the world cup? I dont know.

And another useful stat would be how often a CB wins the ball as the last man before the keeper is called into action. This was something Lindelof did once against England where Sterling was running through, he came across and won the ball to cover his defense that time.

These could all be useful stats but I'm not sure if or where they would be available.

So overall Lindelof is a passive defender who tends to only come into action defensively when the ball is in and around his box. He'll block some shots, he'll make some clearances. But until that point he's less aggressive than most CBs.

Going back to the beginning of the post. Being a passive style CB isn't necessarily always a bad thing. So long as the CB is there to always make the clearances and pressure someone trying to take a shot and perhaps block it then you can get by.

However more active and aggressive CBs are likely to stop moves a lot earlier on before they become dangerous and need those box clearances or blocked shots. Personally I value this and I'm not a big fan of a CB who will only be making challenges when 1 mistake leads to a good chance on goal.

So contrary to the childish belief of more than 1 poster, I don't hate Lindelof. I guarantee I pay more attention to him than most. But he is a certain type of defender that I'm not a big fan of. Its not my preference and I do question how good that type of CB is.

Managers will often prefer a certain player over another because they have a preference of a style of player.

It doesnt mean that they hate a player because they pick someone else.

It means they value a different style of player more.

There is no hatred.

Comments that suggest hatred towards a player are a very childish defense mechanism for someone to use when they simply cant be bothered to discuss an alternate opinion because they believe themselves to have such a perfect knowledge of football that they couldnt possibly ever be wrong. Oftentimes however the alternative opinion may involve a lot more research than their own.
Top Post. Excellent and balanced summary of Lindelof during the WC, thank you for making this analysis. I also like your last paragraph, but you do need to realize that some posters here are indeed children.

Status
Not open for further replies.