Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They're instructed not to be physical in Pre-season games.
Come on @Sultan you are instructed to watch the tackles but physicality is different. I'm not going to be to harsh on him it's his first game and he'll no doubt get better but that is certainly not an excuse for him.

Gbenger

I don't think he's shit based on just one game but I don't think he's really anything special; not exceptional and most likely not better than most of our current options at CB which is why some might view the signing as unnecessary.
Fixing our attack should've been the absolute priority this season and signing a CB would only have been easily justified if the guy was really exceptional or just too good to pass up on and I think clearly Linderlof isn't.

Some of the criticism he has received though have been unnecessary harsh. People should stop excepting him to come in and start beasting games especially because he feels ice cold or has a smug look. He isn't Bailly and some players if not most need some time to adapt and start showing their quality.

AshRK

One thing I really liked with him is his ball control. He looked so calm and didn't panic which did justify his name of "iceman".

Defensively he was pretty good but looked rusty and sync well with Bailly and tuanzebe. I can see jose's first choice would be Bailly and lindelof, so giving them time together on the pitch is a smart thing for jose to do. I feel both of them can compliment each other very well as the season progresses. Let us not judge anyone so quickly

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Watch when the season starts, the people who are judging him on a 45 min pre season game will either shut up, or start singing his praises. I mean, I though he was good. Reads the game fantastically well and brings the ball out of defence so calmly.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Pathetic reaction after 45 minutes of a pre season game. Viggo and Lukaku did well, nothing spectacular just kept things simple. In the second half our defensive set up was weaker, mainly because Perriera isn't a defensive mid and TFM was sometimes all over the place.

A midfield involving Perriera and Mhiki need a experienced defensive unit behind them. Timothy didn't impress as a wing back, probably his inexperience played a part in his shaky performance. Tuanzebe is also quite raw at this level, his talent is there but he lack positional awareness and sometimes Viggo and him lost communication, that made us look a little bit vulnerable in the end.

Many of you have to get used to Bailly and specifically Lindelöf. It's clear that Mourinho wants at least two centre backs with good ball control and vision. The interesting part will be who is going to be third option. Danny Blind isn't a bad option. The be honest all of our centre backs looked good. It will be a pleasant dilemma for the manager, maybe he play one unit in the PL and another unit in the CL. Time will tell.

IF we buy a new dm then our set up will be so much more composed. In the first half we totally controlled the game with a 35 year old Carrick. Imagine our midfield with a young energetic dm who have legs to play 90 minutes, a fully fit Pogba and one of Herrera/Fellaini. Our midfield options looks strong if we buy one of Fabinho/Dier/Matic.

AshRK

So? If they were infallible we'd won the league wouldnt we? He's not a bad signing but we didnt need to add just a good defender.
But how can you come to a conclusion he is just a good defender. There could be a great chance he becomes a great defender and solves our defensive problem for years to come. People didn't expect much from Bailly but he has proven many wrong with his defending. There is no reason why lindelof cannot do the same

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Got turned too easily for the first goal but I wouldn't call it a bad mistake.

Personally, I don't think he's going to be first choice just yet. Even going into the game, I assumed he'd only really start getting a run of games towards midway through the season. We've got so many established CBs already who can rely on, and we shouldn't forget that he's only 22 (23 tomorrow) so he has plenty of time to develop. We're privileged that he can afford for his first season to be a transitional one, learning the ropes and so forth.

Watch him have a stormer next game just to prove me wrong.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Pathetic reaction after 45 minutes of a pre season game. Viggo and Lukaku did well, nothing spectacular just kept things simple. In the second half our defensive set up was weaker, mainly because Perriera isn't a defensive mid and TFM was sometimes all over the place.

A midfield involving Perriera and Mhiki need a experienced defensive unit behind them. Timothy didn't impress as a wing back, probably his inexperience played a part in his shaky performance. Tuanzebe is also quite raw at this level, his talent is there but he lack positional awareness and sometimes Viggo and him lost communication, that made us look a little bit vulnerable in the end.

Many of you have to get used to Bailly and specifically Lindelöf. It's clear that Mourinho wants at least two centre backs with good ball control and vision. The interesting part will be who is going to be third option. Danny Blind isn't a bad option. The be honest all of our centre backs looked good. It will be a pleasant dilemma for the manager, maybe he play one unit in the PL and another unit in the CL. Time will tell.

IF we buy a new dm then our set up will be so much more composed. In the first half we totally controlled the game with a 35 year old Carrick. Imagine our midfield with a young energetic dm who have legs to play 90 minutes, a fully fit Pogba and one of Herrera/Fellaini. Our midfield options looks strong if we buy one of Fabinho/Dier/Matic.
You know, for the "resident moaner, hypocrite and moron", you sure make a lot of sense! :p

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He is a foreigner whose keeping 2 brits on the bench. He cant expect a lot of sympathy from the local united fans
Ya, theres a lot of people who want Jones & Smalling starting for us... Where can we find some of these mythical people?

Anyway...Looked good for the most part, comfortable on the ball but their 1st one was pretty bad, got turned and allowed him inside, still, only 45mins in our first preseason game.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
But how can you come to a conclusion he is just a good defender. There could be a great chance he becomes a great defender and solves our defensive problem for years to come. People didn't expect much from Bailly but he has proven many wrong with his defending. There is no reason why lindelof cannot do the same
He is a good defender, but like Bailly he isnt world class. Hopefully he'll become that someday but I doubt it, as I dont think he's that talented. I think a defender like Pepe, Bonucci, Thiago Silva, Koulibaly, Sokratis etc would raise us to a higher level with experience and sheer class. Lindelof is a very good defender on the rise but I dont even think that much better than Rojo, Jones, Blind, but ofcourse he has potential. We wouldnt lack anything if we hadnt got him.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Don't see what is wrong with the criticism. Sure, might be a little premature, but as a United fan, you can't be losing sleep over it since we already have alternatives in place.

Very decent, if not better ones.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ya, theres a lot of people who want Jones & Smalling starting for us... Where can we find some of these mythical people?

Anyway...Looked good for the most part, comfortable on the ball but their 1st one was pretty bad, got turned and allowed him inside, still, only 45mins in our first preseason game.
You haven't read many posts then. Till we signed lindelof, many still questioned why we need a cb at all

Jones and Smalling would have been sold by Sunday by the local media and fans.
I have my doubts about that being English int and all

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
So? If they were infallible we'd won the league wouldnt we? He's not a bad signing but we didnt need to add just a good defender.
I forgot the cafe logic that the clubs scouts and coaching staff know feck all since such and such player didnt work out. Im pretty sure the super scouts on here had Bailly perfectly scouted before he joined.

AshRK

He is a good defender, but like Bailly he isnt world class. Hopefully he'll become that someday but I doubt it, as I dont think he's that talented. I think a defender like Pepe, Bonucci, Thiago Silva, Koulibaly, Sokratis etc would raise us to a higher level with experience and sheer class. Lindelof is a very good defender on the rise but I dont even think that much better than Rojo, Jones, Blind, but ofcourse he has potential. We wouldnt lack anything if we hadnt got him.
Vidic wasn't world-class when he joined us, nor are many other top defenders at 22. Was bonucci world class at 23. We need to sort our defensive problem for years to come.

AshRK

And trust me from what I have seen off Bailly , I will never replace him with any of the so called world class defenders you have mentioned.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
You haven't read many posts then. Till we signed lindelof, many still questioned why we need a cb at all
Been following the transfer forum for a while, the; What do we still need? Thread. by the time the season ended, had the vast, vast majority of comments marking down another CB was required.

Most seemed okay to sell Smalling (English) in this thread:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jam...ared-to-listen-to-offers-for-smalling.429156/

And if they commented they didn't, it was usually followed up by: Rather sell Jones (English)

Sammyjunn

I forgot the cafe logic that the clubs scouts and coaching staff know feck all since such and such player didnt work out. Im pretty sure the super scouts on here had Bailly perfectly scouted before he joined.
Why are you making that out of it? They arent infallible and make wrong decisions too yes. So the logic that they like them and therefore the player is perfect is wrong.

devilish

Been following the transfer forum for a while, the; What do we still need? Thread. by the time the season ended, had the vast, vast majority of comments marking down another CB was required.

Most seemed okay to sell Smalling (English) in this thread:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jam...ared-to-listen-to-offers-for-smalling.429156/

And if they commented they didn't, it was usually followed up by: Rather get rid of Jones (English)
In january many questioned mou intentions in buying a cb and were happy to see that deal ending up in flames. Many kept protecting smalling and jones for years, some even stating the importance of a british backbone in the team. Lindelof wont find that same amount of patience

Sammyjunn

And trust me from what I have seen off Bailly , I will never replace him with any of the so called world class defenders you have mentioned.
Laughable, but your fair opinion. I wouldnt even blink an eye. We hope he can ever reach that level, vs players that already have that level. It's like saying not trading Martial for Hazard/Neymar.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Why are you making that out of it? They arent infallible and make wrong decisions too yes. So the logic that they like them and therefore the player is perfect is wrong.
Everyone does but 45 mins is hardly correct to judge a player on. Unless you are a Portugese and or a regular follower of Benfica I dont see you cant trust Joses judgement on him.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
In january many questioned mou intentions in buying a cb and were happy to see that deal ending up in flames. Many kept protecting smalling and jones for years, some even stating the importance of a british backbone in the team. Lindelof wont find that same amount of patience
Lindelof won't get patientce?... because Baily last season got a lot of stick that Jones/Smalling avoided..? he didn't get stick (Despite keeping Smalling/Jones out of the team) because he was decent, if lindelof is decent he'd be welcomed to the fold on here just as easily.

Smalling, after Rooney (also english) was the most criticised player on the forum in the last 12 months, more or less.

Your comment of posters moaning because foreign Lindelof is taking the place of Smalling/Jones doesn't hold water at all.

Sammyjunn

Everyone does but 45 mins is hardly correct to judge a player on. Unless you are a Portugese and or a regular follower of Benfica I dont see you cant trust Joses judgement on him.
You think I say this because of that 45 min? Ofcourse not. We cant say much until his 2nd season anyway.

I say that because he has never shown anything of world class in his short career so far, he's been a reliable and good defender for Sweden and Benfica. But even in that, Bailly proved a lot at Villareal already, one of the better defenders in the La Liga at the time.

Lindelof is a good player but not really necessary imo, our defence is our best position and have our best performing players. With Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Blind, Tuanzebe we have plenty options. Lindelof is of that same level basically and not a proven world class defender who'd lift that line imo. He may develop into that though.

Sammyjunn

Ah you are one of those other teams always have better players than us kind of poster? Explains it.
No, and you fail to come with proper arguments. But actually the players of those team mainly do, considering they have won league's, national and international trophies. We are barely a top club in England and have performed quite badly the past few years. Do the maths.

devilish

Lindelof won't get patientce?... because Baily last season got a lot of stick that Jones/Smalling avoided..? he didn't get stick (Despite keeping Smalling/Jones out of the team) because he was decent, if lindelof is decent he'd be welcomed to the fold on here just as easily.

Smalling, after Rooney (also english) was the most criticised player on the forum in the last 12 months, more or less.

Your comment of posters moaning because foreign Lindelof is taking the place of Smalling/Jones doesn't hold water at all.
Bailly was our best cb last year.

AshRK

Laughable, but your fair opinion. I wouldnt even blink an eye. We hope he can ever reach that level, vs players that already have that level. It's like saying not trading Martial for Hazard/Neymar.
But we aren't playing fifa manager right. Hey let us trade rashford for lewandowski. I bet you would have been the same guy who would have criticised sir alex for buying de gea, vidic, evra, ronaldo, rooney because they were not world-class when they came here.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Bailly was our best cb last year.
Go find me the threads wanting Jones/Smalling to start, as I've pointed to two off the top of my head where the majority wanted another CB purchased this summer and the other seemingly fine with either Jones/Smalling sold.

POF

I thought he played quite well in general play. He wasn't great for the first goal but Bailly was certainly more at fault. My worry was how convincingly he was beaten in the air for the second goal. When signed, there were a number of comments on his weakness in the air.

With Rojo injured, I don't think United can afford to let Smalling go until Bailly and Lindelof prove they can be much stronger in the air.

AshRK

You think I say this because of that 45 min? Ofcourse not. We cant say much until his 2nd season anyway.

I say that because he has never shown anything of world class in his short career so far, he's been a reliable and good defender for Sweden and Benfica. But even in that, Bailly proved a lot at Villareal already, one of the better defenders in the La Liga at the time.

Lindelof is a good player but not really necessary imo, our defence is our best position and have our best performing players. With Bailly, Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Blind, Tuanzebe we have plenty options. Lindelof is of that same level basically and not a proven world class defender who'd lift that line imo. He may develop into that though.
Jones hardly stays fit. Rojo is out till december. Smalling has been given enough chance and has not shown if he can be trusted. Blind is hardly a first choice centre back for Netherlands national team and is more suited as a left back. And did you seriously say lindelof is not much better than tuanzebe. Just because we have quantity doesn't mean we have enough quality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
People need to keep in mind that lindelof is bought for his potential. He's clearly streets ahead of any of our other defenders on the ball, he'll just need time to grow to handle the physicality and form a partnership at the back. The reason he was needed was because none of our other center backs were the complete package so couldnt partner bailly properly. Lindelof is potentially that. Not worried about him because he let his man score from a corner in his first pre season game, it happens. People just like to criticize though i guess.

Hojoon

He might not be good enough but it won't be because of a money making training session when you're 5 goals up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.