Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Slightly disturbed to hear talk of how Lindelof "isn't that strong in the air". That's surely one of the key attributes for a centre back in the Premier league. Not for a lot of the games we'll have 90% of the ball for, but a lot of awkward aways.

Will wait until actually seeing him play though.

AKDevil

Jones isn't shit, he's just injured all the time.
So he's pretty much useless to a manager if he's injured all the time. It's neither players' fault but Smalling and jones can have no complaints if sold or about other players coming in. They've had plenty of years here and a few with a clear run at replacing Vidic and Rio and failed because their bodies wouldn't let them. Time to move on from both.

M Bison

Supports
York City
We've come full circle! That was my original point, that i didn't understand why we signed him.
Possibly, but neither of us know for sure.

All i'm saying is, it was an odd signing which didn't fully make sense to me - Lukaku makes perfect sense but signing another CB doesn't.

Acole9

Outstanding
It was a friendly and his first game ffs.
Like I've just mentioned in the Lukaku thread, a lot of over reactions on here. He was fine, first LA Galaxy goal he just lost his footing, it could happen to anyone and the second goal wasn't his fault at all, it was Tuanzebe.

Bwuk

Don't look too much into pre season friendlies.

Big pressure on Lindelof this year if we are going 3 at the back. He'll be the man in the middle expected to command the back 3. Hopefully he's up to it as on paper Bailly - Lindelof - Rojo sounds great.

Stactix

As I said before, Rojo is injured.
Blind / Tuanzebe neither should be first choice, the latter hopefully will get plenty of game time in league cup / Fa Cup
Smalling /Jones both injury prone & neither are good enough.

Left with Bailly

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Like I've just mentioned in the Lukaku thread, a lot of over reactions on here. He was fine, first LA Galaxy goal he just lost his footing, it could happen to anyone and the second goal wasn't his fault at all, it was Tuanzebe.
How on earth is it Tuanzebe's fault? Its a random little bobble that slides through Axel and Gio. It is unlucky for him and not his fault at all. We shouldn't be giving away free headers in the first place.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Played in a back 3 and was the first outing with many new players.

Will look far better once he has gotten used to his new teammates

Not fussed at all imo

Acole9

Outstanding
How on earth is it Tuanzebe's fault? Its a random little bobble that slides through Axel and Gio. It is unlucky for him and not his fault at all. We shouldn't be giving away free headers in the first place.
He let his man go.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He let his man go.
He is literally touching his man. How is that letting him go?

And you are trying to claim Lindelof not jumping and actually just standing there and turning his back on his man giving him a free header isn't at fault at all but somehow all Axel's fault. Mind boggling.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So he's pretty much useless to a manager if he's injured all the time. It's neither players' fault but Smalling and jones can have no complaints if sold or about other players coming in. They've had plenty of years here and a few with a clear run at replacing Vidic and Rio and failed because their bodies wouldn't let them. Time to move on from both.
I disagree. Jones has the quality to be a squad player for us. He just can't be relied upon to be a regular starter. If he wants that, then he'll have to move on. If he's fine with being a guy who play 25-30 games per season, perhaps 35, then we should keep him. He certainly has the abilities required to succeed at United.

An Irish Red

I'm sure we all agree that Vidic and Evra were two of the best defenders this club has ever had and they both struggled enormously at the start of their careers here.

Worrying because Lindelof was a bit dodgy in a preseason game is a bit mad like.

Paul_Scholes18

He is going to need time. I have my doubt about him though having seen quite a bit of him since I am from Sweden. We have plenty of options at the defense now though. Can see Mourinho playing a lot with 3 at the back this season.

We have to wait and see how he does in the Premier league. Playing in Portugal is not really a big test enough. He has done well for Sweden though, but he has not been a regular for very long.

Womp

idiot
He is going to need time. I have my doubt about him though having seen quite a bit of him since I am from Sweden. We have plenty of options at the defense now though. Can see Mourinho playing a lot with 3 at the back this season.

We have to wait and see how he does in the Premier league. Playing in Portugal is not really a big test enough. He has done well for Sweden though, but he has not been a regular for very long.
If there's one thing Mourinho knows, it's defenders. Lindelof will come good for us.

3KDré

If there's one thing Mourinho knows, it's defenders. Lindelof will come good for us.
Exactly my thoughts. I am not fussed about pre season games. I mean we looked pretty good in pre season under LVG...

Plus Bailly.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The first two matches are just to get some match fitness and trying out tactics.

The proper pre season starts against City. But even then with so many changes during the match the results are not what matters. The teams we see are most likely not the team Mourinho wants in the end as he still wants a couple of players.

Just relax lads.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I personally take between 10-15 games for any new player to make a first assessment of him in general. Needless to say preseason means feck all at the moment.

Nick7

I personally take between 10-15 games for any new player to make a first assessment of him in general. Needless to say preseason means feck all at the moment.
Took Rojo 50 odd to start looking like a player.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The first goal comes back much more on Bailly than Lindelof. I was disappointed in him for the second goal, but it was his first half in a pre-season game.

What I did see during the match did make me more certain we'll be keeping Smalling though. He is simply so much better than any of our other central defenders in the air. I can't see Mourinho letting him go. If the 3-5-2 is something that Mourinho is thinking of using more often, then I expect Smalling would be one of them to strengthen us in the air next to the relative weakness of Bailly and Lindelof.

Crashoutcassius

Unclear what he did wrong this game? Just stroked the ball back and forth, was under pretty much no pressure. Read the game well and nicked the ball once and twice, and we even saw a signature burst through the middle - he looks quite quick. Always looked to get the ball short from De Gea which I like. Looks like what we thought we were buying. We don't need a towering presence, Bailly is a beast, Matic is massive and Fellaini is the top 5 defensive header in the league from set plays, Pogba is huge etc. This guy is our play maker from the back and the foil to Bailly.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Wow, what a meltdown in here. First of all, it's pre-season, the very first game. Second, I doubt Jose bought him to be a starter, but to have more options. Once everyone is fit again, we have competition and Rojo will certainly want to claim his spot back. He's been very good and LIndelof most likely will be back up initially.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We don't need a towering presence, Bailly is a beast, Matic is massive and Fellaini is the top 5 defensive header in the league from set plays, Pogba is huge etc. This guy is our play maker from the back and the foil to Bailly.
Bailly may be a physical beast, but his heading ability is actually his biggest weakness. Matic isn't ours yet and may not be (and if he is he might not play every game), Fellaini hopefully won't be playing all that often as a starter (I'm happy for him to be a squad player). It is a bit worrying how vulnerable we may be to any high balls this season.

Oldyella

I disagree. Jones has the quality to be a squad player for us. He just can't be relied upon to be a regular starter. If he wants that, then he'll have to move on. If he's fine with being a guy who play 25-30 games per season, perhaps 35, then we should keep him. He certainly has the abilities required to succeed at United.
Wait what? Whats the point of a squad player who is never fit? And I am sure he would be fine with 25, 30, 35 games a season as thats probably more than he has ever managed in his time with us till now.

Status
Not open for further replies.