Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_86

Very poor CB. We need to cut our losses and floss him to a lower league team. It didn't work out end of.

Foxbatt

I thought he had a decent game provided that they was no protection in front them. If Bailly had not switched off we probably would have equalised and won this game.

MadMike

He lost Murray for the first goal but he did little else wrong today. He wasn’t the one getting drawn out of position, slicing clearances and making rash challenges.

I agree with people saying he lacks standout defensive attributes. I think his best one is playing the ball out the back and he did that a lot today without panicking or miscontrolling the ball. He seemed generally calm.

I think primarily he needs to hit he gym a bit and bulk up. His lack of strength is his major weakness for me. Otherwise he’s a decent defender but far from exceptional. He could accompany someone who is more accomplished defensively alright I think.

Grande

Having seen the game a second time (why?!), I must say most people here shouldn’t go near a laptop after a loss.

Lindelöf was, together with Shaw, our best player by half a mile. He did mostly everything right, apart from one situation. On goal one, Mata horribly abandons the right side while Brighton is in attack, Bailly lets himself get nutmegged, while Lindelöf is on his way to cover the first post, but lets Murray fool him by yanking him back while running behind him. He’s outsmarted by a shrewd striker, it happens to top defenders all the time.

Apart from that, he positions himself well today (unlike Bailly, who is a disaster today), he wins 1-on-1s, he wins in the air, he retains the ball, he finds his man.

forevrared

He lost Murray for the first goal but he did little else wrong today. He wasn’t the one getting drawn out of position, slicing clearances and making rash challenges.
I think he should've done more on the second. He was standing on the penalty spot, marking no one, ball-watching when the goal went in. The third goal was more on De Gea, but he didn't recover well enough for me. Took a bad angle coming back and then pulled up even though he was in a much better position than Bailly to make a last-ditch tackle. A real horror show from both of them for me.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Hes simply not good enough and his physical/mental limitations mean that he never will be. Why did Mourinho buy him? Who scouted him?

Patrick08

His criticism is little too harsh.. He's not a bad defender albeit not a world class one right now.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Not good enough in the air, not strong in the tackle, doesn't mark tightly and ball watches. I really want him to do well as he seems like a likable guy but he's just not a defender. He is decent on the ball (though I don't see the ball playing CB some do) but first and foremost you need to do the basics of defending. Smalling has to come in, he was reliable for us last season despite his obvious flaws.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Taking less time on the ball than Smalling when passing out doesn't equate to being good on the ball. He looks like someone who could maybe be a half decent player for Schalke 04 when he's 26 or 27, no idea what the feck he's doing at Manchester United.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Taking less time on the ball than Smalling when passing out doesn't equate to being good on the ball. He looks like someone who could maybe be a half decent player for Schalke 04 when he's 26 or 27, no idea what the feck he's doing at Manchester United.
Thats harsh

On Schalke.

qubit

Man Utd is an outdated club with an outdated manager and outdated fans living back in the 90's. You have no idea how to evaluate modern players. That's why players like Di Maria, Sanchez and Pogba look like complete failures at your club. Good modern players want to play with other good modern players and they want to play a certain way. You have a core of loosers that want to play some kind of english football where heading the ball is the most important part of the game. You can't mix water and oil. Pep understands that you have to go all-in on modern football where every player plays a certain style. Man Utd tries to keep a core of old style players and buys a few modern ones hoping everything will change. The result is that you make fun of all the good players because they can't play in your outdated system with your outdated core.

Victor is the only modern defender you have, he can't play with any of your other defenders because they are outdated. You can go back to smalling and jones and keep making fun of all the good players that join your team and then leaves the next season, but that will take you nowhere. Maybe you should understand that when you buy player after player and no one is good enough for the PL or Man Utd quality something with your club is wrong and not the players you buy.

Victor can never play with someone like Bailly. Bailly is a one man show that doesn't care at all about being part of a working team. He is glad when the offside trap doesn't work because he can then show his athleticism and fool ignorant united fans that he is a good defender. If you put a diciplined defender like Victor next to someone like Bailly that doesn't care at all about anything that makes Victor good then yes, Victor wont look so good.

For the third goal Victor was putting Brighton offside, and it would have worked perfectly if Bailly cared about offsides.

MUFC OK

Hes simply not good enough and his physical/mental limitations mean that he never will be. Why did Mourinho buy him? Who scouted him?
This for me. He isn't a bad player but it would take a monumental turnaround for him to ever be a true United quality CB. He just looks very average, weak in the tackle, incredibly slow and doesn't play with any conviction. he can pick a pass but that's all I see in his game. Like a lot of United players at the moment his mentality seems to go to shit after a mistake/jeering from the opposition. These players have been chosen to play for MUFC, why do they doubt themselves so much?

MUFC OK

Man Utd is an outdated club with an outdated manager and outdated fans living back in the 90's. You have no idea how to evaluate modern players. That's why players like Di Maria, Sanchez and Pogba look like complete failures at your club. Good modern players want to play with other good modern players and they want to play a certain way. You have a core of loosers that want to play some kind of english football where heading the ball is the most important part of the game. You can't mix water and oil. Pep understands that you have to go all-in on modern football where every player plays a certain style. Man Utd tries to keep a core of old style players and buys a few modern ones hoping everything will change. The result is that you make fun of all the good players because they can't play in your outdated system with your outdated core.

Victor is the only modern defender you have, he can't play with any of your other defenders because they are outdated. You can go back to smalling and jones and keep making fun of all the good players that join your team and then leaves the next season, but that will take you nowhere. Maybe you should understand that when you buy player after player and no one is good enough for the PL or Man Utd quality something with your club is wrong and not the players you buy.

Victor can never play with someone like Bailly. Bailly is a one man show that doesn't care at all about being part of a working team. He is glad when the offside trap doesn't work because he can then show his athleticism and fool ignorant united fans that he is a good defender. If you put a diciplined defender like Victor next to someone like Bailly that doesn't care at all about anything that makes Victor good then yes, Victor wont look so good.

For the third goal Victor was putting Brighton offside, and it would have worked perfectly if Bailly cared about offsides.
Welcome.. I agree with a lot of your post. But who exactly are the old fashioned United players you speak of? The likes of Smalling, Jones, Young, have been around for far too long but the rest of our team should be classed as modern players, no? I agree there must be a reason these top players just don't fit in at United. I've put it down to different styles of play and mentality but I could be completely wrong.

simmee

Having seen the game a second time (why?!), I must say most people here shouldn’t go near a laptop after a loss.

Lindelöf was, together with Shaw, our best player by half a mile. He did mostly everything right, apart from one situation. On goal one, Mata horribly abandons the right side while Brighton is in attack, Bailly lets himself get nutmegged, while Lindelöf is on his way to cover the first post, but lets Murray fool him by yanking him back while running behind him. He’s outsmarted by a shrewd striker, it happens to top defenders all the time.

Apart from that, he positions himself well today (unlike Bailly, who is a disaster today), he wins 1-on-1s, he wins in the air, he retains the ball, he finds his man.
I really like Lindelöf but he did more misstakes than that, unfortunately. He was to slow to close the gap to Bailly at last a couple of times, maybe more. I guess something good to take from this is that no situation started with him and he always had to react to teammates making misstakes.

And of course there's quite a lot of over the top reactions, but that's the norm on the caf these days.

qubit

Welcome.. I agree with a lot of your post. But who exactly are the old fashioned United players you speak of? The likes of Smalling, Jones, Young, have been around for far too long but the rest of our team should be classed as modern players, no? I agree there must be a reason these top players just don't fit in at United. I've put it down to different styles of play and mentality but I could be completely wrong.
Step 1: Get rid of Mourinho
Step 2: Get rid of all defenders EXCEPT Victor.
Step 3: Get rid of players like Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Matic, Fellaini,

You can't put your hopes to players like Martial that just runs at defenders and 1 out of a 100 times something amazing happens when he looses the ball the rest of the time. Matic is not good enough and he is the type of player that makes modern football impossible.

Your midfield against Brighton could potentially be good in the future but since they failed so spectacularly i'm guessing Jose has already abandoned those plans.

Grande

I really like Lindelöf but he did more misstakes than that, unfortunately. He was to slow to close the gap to Bailly at last a couple of times, maybe more. I guess something good to take from this is that no situation started with him and he always had to react to teammates making misstakes.

And of course there's quite a lot of over the top reactions, but that's the norm on the caf these days.
OTT is certainly OT.

Upon watching closely, I found that almost every time the CB’s were disjointed yesterday, Lindelöf was doing sensible things and had to adjust to Bailly’s sometimes gross misjudgements. I love Bailly as a player at his best, but he had a mare of a game yesterday, I’ve no idea were his head was.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

You can't put your hopes to players like Martial that just runs at defenders and 1 out of a 100 times something amazing happens when he looses the ball the rest of the time. Matic is not good enough and he is the type of player that makes modern football impossible.

Your midfield against Brighton could potentially be good in the future but since they failed so spectacularly i'm guessing Jose has already abandoned those plans.
Have you joined the forum purely to slag off the club?

Kostov

Poor Linfelof he was about to cry at some point. Is he alright? Murray is long gone now, he can come out from under his blanket.

MUFC OK

Step 2 is ridiculous. Signing Toby & Sandro as many wanted would've helped our defence but to sell them all.. wow.

Why would you sell Rashford and Matic? The others I can sort of agree with but unless you're City and can spend 40-50m on every squad player this kind of plan isn't realistic.

A-man

You need my help.
Haha :)
But it is true that United don’t play modern football. In general English club football has been outdated, that’s why the owners of the clubs brought in all international star coaches like Klopp, Pep, etc. Today we can see the transformation at City and Liverpool and maybe also Tottenham. The English clubs who play football that works internationally.

:lol:In what way? Odd you include Matic in the list of players to get rid of. He's been one of our few standout performers under Jose.
He has not been bad but he is not a player of modern football.

izec

:lol:In what way? Odd you include Matic in the list of players to get rid of. He's been one of our few standout performers under Jose.
He is just a Lindelöf fanboy, probably from Sweden. Lindelöf isnt good enough defensively to be at United, 'modern' or not. He is soft and shit at defending

Jippy

Staff
He is just a Lindelöf fanboy, probably from Sweden. Lindelöf isnt good enough defensively to be at United, 'modern' or not. He is soft and shit at defending
He's young and has potential, but can clearly be a liability and too weak at times. Seems odd to hold him up about who's the best in our playing ranks!

MUFC OK

What does that even mean in the context of a defensive midfielder?
Means very little, in fact it probably means he doesn't play for City or Liverpool who everyone can't stop blowing wind up the arses of. They are after all the only teams in this world who play 'modern football'.

Ole90+3

So he's supposedly a ball playing CB - some actually use this 'quality' to partially excuse his poor defending - yet he panics under very light pressure and kicks the ball out of play for the throw in which led to Brighton's second goal. I couldn't believe how quickly he panicked with no opposition close to him.

I'd like to say the lad will not make it as a United player because his lack ability and confidence is fairly obvious, but in recent times it looks like we are happy enough to accept mediocrity. So he could quite possibly stick around for another 5 years.

Jippy

Staff
Means very little, in fact it probably means he doesn't play for City or Liverpool who everyone can't stop blowing wind up the arses of. They are after all the only teams in this world who play 'modern football'.
Yup and neither need a defensive midfielder because modern.

Minimalist

Hard to criticise him yesterday too much with how Bailly was getting on. Think I’m done with the latter frankly.

Gopher Brown

Yes, but too many of our centre backs can perform excellently for 89 minutes per game.

Acole9

Outstanding
Poor Linfelof he was about to cry at some point. Is he alright? Murray is long gone now, he can come out from under his blanket.
I noticed that, he's a real shrinking violet when things aren't going well.

Grande

Yes, but too many of our centre backs can perform excellently for 89 minutes per game.
Tongue in cheek:

Eric Bailly can perform excellently for 89 minutes per every two games.
Phil Jones can perform excellently for 89 minutes one third of a season.
Marcus Rojo can perform excellently for 89 minutes, then he injures himself or someone else and/or is red carded or, by rights, jailed.
Chris Smalling can perform excellently for 90 minutes every game all year, minus the combined 90 seconds when he actually has the ball.
Alex Tuanzebe can perform excellently for 89 minutes. Then he comes on.

Under these circumstances, I’d say we’ve found Lindelöf’s most particular area of excellence! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.