Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

Well if we look at today specifically, Lindelof had the trip where Higauin didnt make the most of the break away. And Jorginho played a pass in behind Lindelof where Higuain's control let him down a bit in the end and couldnt get a shot on target. Then the Hazard chance where he was running onto his left side against Lindelof and Ander bailed out our CBs deflecting the ball over the bar. And Hazard did have a moment getting his ball in past Smalling on the left too.

Smalling is also not the best on the ball.

So I would say 7/10 because they did have those moments that on another day with some worse luck might have led to a goal against. And a 10/10 defense would have none of those moments. 7/10 is a combination that clearly can and usually will do a good job together. I think thats what we have with Smalling and Lindelof.
To maximise Lindelof you’d need a partner who could play to the left. Now he plays in his second best position.
Ok fair enough. Thought they had an almost faultless game and of course you need to defend as a team as it is after all a team game.

Litch

Quality player that just keeps getting better and better. I still think there's more to come.....

Andersons Dietician

Because he deserves it, Victor Lindelöf

He and VVD been the standout defenders for me this season just looks so cool and collected.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Finally lives up to the Iceman tag! Looked so calm and assured tonight, night and day compared to last season.

haram

Just a question, what is a 10/10 partnership then if this was just a solid 7 ?
Lindelof would play better on the right and someone who is both as good on the deck as they are in the air at LCB would improve us.

Ekeke

Ok fair enough. Thought they had an almost faultless game and of course you need to defend as a team as it is after all a team game.
I mean, it is nitpicking to list every single moment where they were less than perfect. Its just you asked for what a 10/10 combination would be and to me thats the kind of perfection that would need.

I think today maybe they were closer to 8/10 than 7/10, but just in general I think they're a 7/10 in that yes we could sign a very expensive CB to make an improvement but it isnt easy and when they're playing well, it might not even be needed.

arthurka

I mean, it is nitpicking to list every single moment where they were less than perfect. Its just you asked for what a 10/10 combination would be and to me thats the kind of perfection that would need.

I think today maybe they were closer to 8/10 than 7/10, but just in general I think they're a 7/10 in that yes we could sign a very expensive CB to make an improvement but it isnt easy and when they're playing well, it might not even be needed.
Still think we need another top CB as Rojo and Jones arent good enough. That should be someone that is better than what we have. Think Smalling and Lindelöf could really become a really solid unit.

Ekeke

Still think we need another top CB as Rojo and Jones arent good enough. That should be someone that is better than what we have. Think Smalling and Lindelöf could really become a really solid unit.
Yeah I agree with that. Someone to compete with them would be good

dablem_10

I like the moment when Hazard tried dribble himself in the edge of box between our 2 defenders but he started loosing balance. Victor instead of rushing ala Jones or Bailly read that amazingly, very mature. If some defender went into him while not on ground, it could be dangerous

Kamprad

You’ve been playing far too much FM.

Kamprad

Those moments werent from FM. They were from watching the match in detail
But you’re ratings are.

Cant you give him just a little cred after these months? You’re his biggest critic here and that’s fine but you lose credibility when you cant give him just a little praise after these months.

OldPop

Lindelof would play better on the right and someone who is both as good on the deck as they are in the air at LCB would improve us.
I'm of the same opinion. That he can play to the left is incredibly valuable, especially as it looks right now but also in the future as it gives the coach more options with the same player. At the same time, we know that he contributes even more to the attack when he plays to the right, so it's a little waste of his greatest talent.

Ekeke

But you’re ratings are.

Cant you give him just a little cred after these months? You’re his biggest critic here and that’s fine but you lose credibility when you cant give him just a little praise after these months.
I'm not rating him, I'm rating the partnership between him and Smalling as 7/10 most of the time or more towards 8/10 tonight

Its weird as lot of people were saying we needed a new starting CB which to me must mean we didnt have a 7/10 partnership at the back. I think we do.

I do obviously think Lindelof had more problems against Chelsea than Smalling did but he still played well and I only nitpicked and listed each moment he didnt do great in because someone asked what I thought a 10/10 partnership would do, so I gave examples of moments from tonight's game where a Chelsea player got away from Lindelof or Smalling for a bit.

That was a performance Ferdinand would have been proud of. Having a defender who can take the ball through the first line of the press is so effective.

Now we just need to find a left sided centre back and we're in good shape.

Fracture90

Very good tonight bar that time when Higuain flattened him down and went in the danger area.

Still feel he's too slow and too weak and his prowess on the ball can't really compensate for those shortcomings in the league like this.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What is more incredible about his form is that he keeps getting moved from right or left or left to right. £35m looking a steal...Iceman.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Very good tonight bar that time when Higuain flattened him down and went in the danger area.

Still feel he's too slow and too weak and his prowess on the ball can't really compensate for those shortcomings in the league like this.
Except he's not getting beat by pace or out muscled regulsrly

A-man

I'm of the same opinion. That he can play to the left is incredibly valuable, especially as it looks right now but also in the future as it gives the coach more options with the same player. At the same time, we know that he contributes even more to the attack when he plays to the right, so it's a little waste of his greatest talent.
Thats also my thoughts. Its a waste of his attacking skills but because Smalling is probably worse to the left, this CB formation is probably best for the team, even if it is not the best for Lindelöf personally. If United ever buy another CB, which I doubt at the moment, it should definitely be someone who can play to the left.

Sylar

Will be seeing him and Smalling together at Old Trafford where you think Liverpool will be set up to play on the counter.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Think he's a very interesting player and he has definitely done well so far under Ole. I would describe him as calm, composed and intelligent, but to me perhaps he lacks a bit of that real bravery that all of our best CB's in the past used to have. Not that it really matters that much because he is who he is, it can be compensated with the right partner, and he also showed a couple of glimpses of ruthlessness over the year that makes me think he can slowly but steadily improve that side of his game.

But my newspaper had this picture of yesterday's match, and I can't help but laugh about it because accidentally it seems to capture what I mean perfectly.

Fracture90

Think he's a very interesting player and he has definitely done well so far under Ole. I would describe him as calm, composed and intelligent, but to me perhaps he lacks a bit of that real bravery that all of our best CB's in the past used to have. Not that it really matters that much because he is who he is, it can be compensated with the right partner, and he also showed a couple of glimpses of ruthlessness over the year that makes me think he can slowly but steadily improve that side of his game.

But my newspaper had this picture of yesterday's match, and I can't help but laugh about it because accidentally it seems to capture what I mean perfectly.

Smalling peeking over Lukaku's shoulder is hilarious :lol:

worldinmotion66

He's comfortably our best all round defender. One addition in the summer to compliment him should give us decent options going forward and allow us to invest elsewhere.

Member 115509

He really has grown since OGS took over, where previously he looked lost and heading nowhere with some extremely nervous and jittery displays. If he keeps improving at his current rate, he will mature into a very competent defender.
Looks like a different player under the new regime, the current No1 choice at CB.

Bobski

He needs to make sure that this turn around continues into next season with Utd looking to challenge instead of in relatively low pressure scenarios. Bailly/Rojo had a good spell together when we were 6th in the league and playing rubbish teams in the LC/Europa, led to a lot of people insisting they were our best pairing.

Lindelof looks as if he can maintain this growth though. That should be the difference, Rojo and Bailly were far too erratic to be relied on long term(as a pair).

SwedishFish

Revisting this thread after a few months, I see Ekeke is still trying his best to slag Lindelöf off despite him proving himself time and time again the season

Maybe its time to fish this golden quote out of the two-month vacuum. Hasn't aged well has it?

Long live the Iceman and the "biased" Swede redcafe posters.

Where have I said he's utter dogshit?

He's okay. Not as good as Jones and Smalling. But hes okay. And Martial was much better last month. Actually several players were

Ekeke

Revisting this thread after a few months, I see Ekeke is still trying his best to slag Lindelöf off despite him proving himself time and time again the season

Maybe its time to fish this golden quote out of the two-month vacuum. Hasn't aged well has it?

Long live the Iceman and the "biased" Swede redcafe posters.
He's been better than Jones since then and in the running for our best CB this season, as Smalling hasnt been at his best. But I'd still just about go with Smalling

Doesnt change the fact that several players were playing better than Lindelof when he was player of the month for us.

SwedishFish

He's been better than Jones since then and in the running for our best CB this season, as Smalling hasnt been at his best. But I'd still just about go with Smalling

Doesnt change the fact that several players were playing better than Lindelof when he was player of the month for us.
If you think Smalling is a better CB you are having a laugh. Think most posters on here are pretty certain that the favoured CB pairing next season will be Lindelöf + new CB.

I'm not saying Smalling is a bad defender, he does a decent job and deserves to stay at the club, but Phil Jones? He wasn't better then and he hasn't been better since.

Lindelöf has been class this season emphasized by the fact that he's been nominated to Player of the month again, not just by the club but by the league.
I'd say arguably him and VVD are currently the best CBs in the league and have been for most of the season.
I think even most rival fans would agree on that. But you still can't let go of your precious Smalling. Laughable really.

CG1010

I like how calm Lukaku is:lol:

King.of.Red

All faces with many expressions.. Funny haha

Status
Not open for further replies.