Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
One of the Swedish newspapers today claims that he has turned down the Swedish national team against Rumania and Norway (and this is an unbelievable explanation) - because his best friend in football, John Guidetti hasn't been picked for Sweden.

It's so bizarre I find it hard to believe - but it's the kind of story it's almost impossible to conjure up. Especially as Guidetti is utter crap and hasn't done anything in like 6 years to warrant being anywhere near the Swedish national side (22 goals in the last 5 seasons). The official reason is personal reasons - so let's for Gods sake hope this is wrong.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
One of the Swedish newspapers today claims that he has turned down the Swedish national team against Rumania and Norway (and this is an unbelievable explanation) - because his best friend in football, John Guidetti hasn't been picked for Sweden.

It's so bizarre I find it hard to believe - but it's the kind of story it's almost impossible to conjure up. Especially as Guidetti is utter crap and hasn't done anything in like 6 years to warrant being anywhere near the Swedish national side (22 goals in the last 5 seasons). The official reason is personal reasons - so let's for Gods sake hope this is wrong.
Would assume it is because he and his wife is expecting a baby very soon.

extincti fugax hominum

So what do we think of him in the long term? He had a bad season last year and turned it around this term but still doesn't fill me with confidence about being the cornerstone of our defence in the next couple of years tbh. He was below par and clearly our worst centre back last season so people probably rate him higher than his actual level now as he's improved. For me he's joined our group of not so bad but definitely not world class defenders this season. We probably had a proper Rio-Vida season last time in 2008-09 or 2010-11 and the fact that we still didn't find a settled centre back partnership after all these years is absolutely abysmal.

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So what do we think of him in the long term? He had a bad season last year and turned it around this term but still doesn't fill me with confidence about being the cornerstone of our defence in the next couple of years tbh. He was below par and clearly our worst centre back last season so people probably rate him higher than his actual level now as he's improved. For me he's joined our group of not so bad but definitely not world class defenders this season. We probably had a proper Rio-Vida season last time in 2008-09 or 2010-11 and the fact that we still didn't find a settled centre back partnership after all these years is absolutely abysmal.
He'll have his chances like Rojo etc. But I agree we can't just bet on him having a real breakthrough season next year and need to sign a CB to compete with him and Smalling at the least. He has improved as you say, but if his bottom level returns full circle and next year we have the same options as we do now then most likely the defence will cost us, like it did this season.

Milo2035

We’re missing him badly. The reason midfield was so poor today is lack of quality to build from the back.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We’re missing him badly. The reason midfield was so poor today is lack of quality to build from the back.
:lol:

Rubbish. Smalling was actually probably better than him with the ball in last one or two games.

AgentP

Thank God Jose is no longer here. Lindelof would be sitting on the bench for the rest of the season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lindelof was starting almost every game for us at the start of the season. He was also one of our best performers this season. Once again people make shite up to satiate their hatred for a manager.

AgentP

Lindelof was starting almost every game for us at the start of the season. He was also one of our best performers this season. Once again people make shite up to satiate their hatred for a manager.
EDIT: I think you understood wrong. I meant Jose would bench him for the remaining games of the season if he missed a crucial match to be with his wife and baby.

Holters

As I wrote in the match thread:

Show Lindelöf some respect. What has he done to deserve all the hate he is getting now? He has been nothing but professional during his United career, and stuck it through in periods were it didn't go so well for him. Apparently - according to Maja Lindelöf's blog, his wife - they recently went through the following:

"The day before the national team selection we went home from the hospital and had been told that the baby did not grow as he was supposed to and that the head was the only organ that still growing, that all the energy from my uterus went only to his brain. In shock we sat on the couch at home and called our families and told them. I remember sitting on the couch, stroking my stomach and crying every minute since my whole reality had changed. My normal and healthy pregnancy was suddenly something else, my son who has grown like he should had suddenly stopped growing and his weight increased too little for his age. I had 12 hours to process all the feelings about a early/forced (medical) birth, possible caesarean, an early birth and a baby that did not do well before the media created a hate storm against us."

I, as a father who experienced the birth of my first son only six months ago, completely respect and understand if Lindelöf's head is with his family rather than football right now - especially if you take the backstory into account.

Milo2035

:lol:

Rubbish. Smalling was actually probably better than him with the ball in last one or two games.
What ? :lol:are you serious ? Jones and Smalling can pass the ball to the nearest player. Lindelof meanwhile can carry the ball forward or make creative passes to initiate attack.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Average game at best tonight, the more we got stretched the more he struggled with his lack of pace, but certainly the best of the back 3/4. .
Cavaileiro absolutely destroyed him for pace at the death, but he was ok apart from that.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

I thought he played well for most of the game. Better than Smalling today and was not helped with De Gea being so poor today too.

Kostov

It fecking amazes me how he can follow an attacker around the pitch and sometimes the whole fecking length of it, and not put in a challenge. I mean anything Victor, whenever you are ready buddy.

It fecking amazes me how he can follow an attacker around the pitch and sometimes the whole fecking length of it, and not put in a challenge. I mean anything Victor, whenever you are ready buddy.
That's not his style of play, never has been. He was fine today alongside abysmal performance from the others at the back.

Ekeke

Struggled along with Smalling. Thats why we need a DM or two in front of them. Fred alone wasnt the answer

Left our defense to fend for itself and they didnt like it

Kostov

That's not his style of play, never has been. He was fine today alongside abysmal performance from the others at the back.
He was far from fine, but you described his partners in defense perfectly and that will get the attention deservedly.

Iam Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Except for the last 1vs1 challenge, I think Lindelof had an alright performance. Like his calmness and how he always looks for the pass to break opponents lines.

This was the heaviest loss in Ole´s rein, we really needed the 3 points today...

Ekeke

It's really annoying his ball playing skills are exactly like pogba's up and down performances. For some reason he never plays ball out from the back when snalling plays alongside him.
He has. But its always been an occasional thing. When you talk about CBs with ball playing ability you tend to talk about players who are making those passes every game. Ramos will make diagonal long balls onto the right wing every game. Toby will attempt long range passes each game. Bonucci will play passes into midfield and join up with them each game. At least thats the case when I watch these players.

With Lindelof its a very occasional good pass or two into midfield and attack. It shows he can do it. He just doesnt do it with regularity.

Really he's just more comfortable on the ball than our other CBs. He's not starting moves from the back.

Patrick08

He has. But its always been an occasional thing. When you talk about CBs with ball playing ability you tend to talk about players who are making those passes every game. Ramos will make diagonal long balls onto the right wing every game. Toby will attempt long range passes each game. Bonucci will play passes into midfield and join up with them each game. At least thats the case when I watch these players.

With Lindelof its a very occasional good pass or two into midfield and attack. It shows he can do it. He just doesnt do it with regularity.

Really he's just more comfortable on the ball than our other CBs. He's not starting moves from the back.
I always wonder if that will improve under a manager who focuses on playing out from the back as a tactic. I think it really will improve in that instance.

Here he just sees the midfeild dropping deep to receive the pass and its the teams strategy to give the ball to that midfielder or full back. Ole has not focussed on playing out from the back.

Leif GW

So sick of how passive he always appears to be. Running around with his hands around his butt looking at the ball and occasionally screaming about someone else taking a run. Do something yourself for once.

KennyBurner

Him and dalot love to do that. It's why he will never reach amazing heights. He doesn't like to contest aerial balls either. Its a 50/50 challenge for him. All in all he has done very well this season and i like the profile of the player he is. We want more ball plating centerbacks for the future but his lack of aggression is terrible for a defender.

kundalini

I barely noticed him until that awful moment late on that led to them hitting the bar. Given his ability on the ball, I'm often a bit disappointed that he hasn't produced more quality in the build-up phase. There was one moment that impressed me. The stats say he completed the most passes of any of our players.

kaempen

Players are generally going to look worse individually when the team is losing. He surely needs to become more aggressive, but let's see how things feel once United get back to winning some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.