Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Thought he was very good last night. Looks like our first good CB signing in more than 10 years. Or is it even more, basically Smalling is the only good CB signing we had since Rio/Vidic?

Loublaze

ATLien
Whether Jones will be a starter is irrelevant to the point I made though
Since Ole has taken over, we were more solid and lindelof looked much better paired with Jones than smalling.
Smalling might be better than Jones individually but the team looked better without smalling and with Jones rather than with smalling and without Jones
You honestly think the limited times Jones and Lindelof have played together is a big enough sample to come to that conclusion? Why isn't Jones being selected? He ALWAYS plays himself out of the starting 11. He's fit and has been for a while. He's not getting a look in even when the team is being rotated.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thought he was very good last night. Looks like our first good CB signing in more than 10 years. Or is it even more, basically Smalling is the only good CB signing we had since Rio/Vidic?
Him being our best CB signing for the last 10 years is one of the reasons we've fallen from grace.

Sylar

You honestly think the limited times Jones and Lindelof have played together is a big enough sample to come to that conclusion? Why isn't Jones being selected? He ALWAYS plays himself out of the starting 11. He's fit and has been for a while. He's not getting a look in even when the team is being rotated.
Given my statement said under Ole
Then yes
I'm gonna judge based on what I've seen since Ole took over

Why is that so hard to grasp? The team have not looked stronger since smalling has come back in.

Jones has started 4 of the last 5 games. What do you mean he's not getting a look in?

I'm not even a big fan of Jones either and he needs to go in the summer. However since we're talking about lindelof, he doesn't look great with smalling as a partnership

Man Utd 1:1 Chelsea

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Defending was all spot on today, but feck me he takes an absolute age on the ball sometimes.

And it's not like there wasn't options available either... It's like he doesn't back himself to make the pass or something

Devil may care

Good performance, I'd love to see him paired with Koulibaly or de Ligt next season, I think he can up a level with the right partner.

AJ10

Good game, sadly he has morons for partners.

Next season he has to play with them again. :rolleyes:

A-man

Good game but please hit more long balls. He has the skills, don't know why he is playing safely all the time. But it looked very calm and controlled when he and Bailly had the ball.

Hoof the ball

Good game but please hit more long balls. He has the skills, don't know why he is playing safely all the time. But it looked very calm and controlled when he and Bailly had the ball.
Positioning, probably. When you see Laporte, Stones, VVD or co diagonal ball to a wide player they're usually high and wide. We have a problem with players either not pushing high enough, or wide enough, and that impacts Lindelof's potential passing options in this way.

RedIke

I really like him as a player. I thought he defended really well.... Again.

My issue is how long he takes to pick a pass. He seems so unsure, but wasn't he scouted as a CB who could pass and carry the ball. It seems that's gone downhill, but his defense has improved.

Hawks2008

Composure itself once again.

Our best CB, hope we can bring a good partner for him in the coming window.

A-man

Positioning, probably. When you see Laporte, Stones, VVD or co diagonal ball to a wide player they're usually high and wide. We have a problem with players either not pushing high enough, or wide enough, and that impacts Lindelof's potential passing options in this way.
Makes sense. He had 2-3 times to today where he really tried to pick a long pass but changed his mind. But other than those 2-3 he didn't even have the opportunity, so it could very well be a positioning problem, maybe in combination with a lite too afraid of losing the ball (think he missed two passes in the entire game, zero in first half)

He had some matches when OGS just had arrived as coach where he contributed a lot to the offensive play. However that was not against Barcelona, City and Chelsea.

Irwin99

Decent yet again. A world class centre back beside him would go a long way in solving our defensive issues

Hoof the ball

Makes sense. He had 2-3 times to today where he really tried to pick a long pass but changed his mind. But other than those 2-3 he didn't even have the opportunity, so it could very well be a positioning problem, maybe in combination with a lite too afraid of losing the ball (think he missed two passes in the entire game, zero in first half)

He had some matches when OGS just had arrived as coach where he contributed a lot to the offensive play. However that was not against Barcelona, City and Chelsea.
There's two things that Lindelof does well with the ball. Well, three. One, he's good as diagonal balls; two, he's good at passing through lines of play, and three, he drives forward with the ball. He didn't really do any of these three today. Not really on him. No movement centrally to find players in pockets. We don't push up high enough as a team for him to bring the ball into space, which most of all is difficult against teams like Barça, City and Chelsea since they play possession and push you quite deep.

fps

Clearly a very, very good centre back. One to keep, with clear hopes he'll improve further and be a nailed-on first teamer.

Ekeke

I hate this way of expressing stats.

He won 1 header and made 2 tackles. Seems much less impressive that way and he’d get less retweets.
Exactly this. Also made 1 clearance. But 4 defensive actions is quite low.

Bailly made 8 today for example, Luiz made 6. Rudiger only 3 but was subbed on 64 mins

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is a good defender when on form and he played well, had a few very good involvements but I think he could be a bit more physical in duels. Think he needs to impose himself a bit more in general but he is often very suspect when having to face lone strikers high up the pitch. A bit more ability to win the ball back in those positions and we'll be able to keep our attacking shape more often than we currently do. Obviously not putting all that on his weakness, but pointing out it plays a part.

A-man

Exactly this. Also made 1 clearance. But 4 defensive actions is quite low.

Bailly made 8 today for example, Luiz made 6. Rudiger only 3 but was subbed on 64 mins
Different styles of defending. Bailly is more aggressive and Lindelof more about good positioning. Nothing you can see in those stats. Can't think of many situations where Lindelof actually needed to do more "defensive actions" than what he did.

Edit: a good example how reactive and aggressive defending is rewarded higher in the stats is Rojo vs Lindelof. Rojo who was a disaster imo got slightly higher stats because of his aggressive football.

Last edited:

izec

He is a good squad player. No injuries, keeps it professional, doesnt make stupid stuff on the pitch. But i wont pretend he isnt upgradeable. For now, he is our most reliant CB, but it is not an impressive achievement considering the other players.

Ekeke

Different styles of defending. Bailly is more aggressive and Lindelof more about good positioning. Nothing you can see in those stats. Can't think of many situations where Lindelof actually needed to do more "defensive actions" than what he did.
While that may be fair, I'm just adding to the post about that representation about duels and aerial duels being a very misleading way to show that he for example, won 1 header (100%) etc. That stuff has been posted in the Lindelof threads multiple times I can remember.

A-man

While that may be fair, I'm just adding to the post about that representation about duels and aerial duels being a very misleading way to show that he for example, won 1 header (100%) etc. That stuff has been posted in the Lindelof threads multiple times I can remember.
Fully agree. That way of presenting stats is misleading and not very honest. Just saying different styles are rewarded differently. Edited my post above with the comparison to Rojo who got.rewarded better in the stats than Lindelof.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Defending was all spot on today, but feck me he takes an absolute age on the ball sometimes.

And it's not like there wasn't options available either... It's like he doesn't back himself to make the pass or something
For a supposed ball playing defender he just does not back himself to make any pass. Bailey made more progressive passes in a game than we've seen from Lindelof in a month. Mainly because Bailey has some confidence to play them.

A-man

There's two things that Lindelof does well with the ball. Well, three. One, he's good as diagonal balls; two, he's good at passing through lines of play, and three, he drives forward with the ball. He didn't really do any of these three today. Not really on him. No movement centrally to find players in pockets. We don't push up high enough as a team for him to bring the ball into space, which most of all is difficult against teams like Barça, City and Chelsea since they play possession and push you quite deep.
Also Lindelof often end up as the last man and can't really take any chances with driving forward. Maybe he should move up a bit sometimes. If you look at the Chelsea game at the end, Rojo was always higher up and Lindelof had to cover as last man.

Iam Zlatan Ibrahimovic

To fulfill Lindelof passing potential, movement and understanding between players are needed from the midfield and forwards. Think he had a great season (best in utd?) with lots of improvement, excited to see who will be playing next to him next season and if Lindelof can be the key in dominating more games.

Last edited:
Huddersfield 1:1 Man Utd

Zoo

Good game despite being surrounded by clowns. The only defender I have confidence in going forward.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One man defence today. Jones and Shaw conspired to be absent on the entire left side.

Hawks2008

One of the very few worth keeping. Actually tried to motivate his team mates while captain fantastic stood hands on hips.

Devil may care

Considering he had Young to his right and whatever the hell was going on between Jones and Shaw to his left, I thought he had a solid game.

Status
Not open for further replies.