Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Hope Ole doesn't share the view of replacing him like some posters here. Guy is a great defender to have and has been going from good to better since last season.

These were 30m well spent.

Eddy_JukeZ

Maybe his best performance since joining the club.

Bar that 1 poor tackle on Vardy, he was pretty much flawless.

LJJT

I’ve been critical of him this year but starting to consider maybe he’s the stronger of the two CB’s and a new signing should partner him rather than Maguire

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He was a boss today. Also had a very strong end to the season.

Very happy he has secured himself a future at the club.

arnie_ni

Made one mistake in misjudging a cross but was otherwise very strong.
He didnt misjudge that imo. He had to get across the near post there.

It was a poor cross that even caught vardy off guard

DarkXaero

I find it funny that we've constantly talked about replacing him, when him and Maguire have basically performed at the same type of performance level. There's actually an argument to be made that Lindelof has been better than Maguire lately.

Fussmeister

No he isnt, where do you see that from? He is ok at doing the basics passing around the back which any decent premiership defender should be able to. When he tries to come out with the ball he often over runs it, he barely completes any complex passes out from the back, often over hitting them. Biggest myth of Lindelof to me is that he is good on the ball, utter nonsense.

I do think he was player of the match for us by far today, not that it was difficult but he certainly was key in gettin gus into the CL as almost eerybody else around him was absolutely awful today, he played well
come on, he is the one who one passes it forward. Both Matic and Maguire takes to much time with the ball. He is good with the ball

Alemar

MotM today, without a slightest doubt. He was better than Maguire during the “project Restart”, and today was an all-important occasion where he had no right to fail - and didn’t

Andersons Dietician

He was really quite good today. Aggressive got stuck in to people great blocks and he seemed eager to make something happen.

kirk buttercup

I find it funny that we've constantly talked about replacing him, when him and Maguire have basically performed at the same type of performance level. There's actually an argument to be made that Lindelof has been better than Maguire lately.
I would agree with that statement .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he's grown over the season. There are still obvious flaws in his game, but I'd be happy with him as a squad player, and not a guaranteed starter. I think Maguire has had some blips here and there, but defending set pieces he's been instrumental, cleaning up long punts, shepherding the backline and he's shown leadership. And made himself available throughout the whole season. Him being England's number one defender has benefitted him too in tricky ref calls, which is to our benefit, being perfectly honest.

I'd say overall Maguire is a 7.5 this season and Lindelof 7. We still need a top class defender in that backline, and someone who compliments both of them, i.e. left-footed, quick, intense and loves defending.

RORY65

I've never quite got the people who really rate him (there were arguments on here that he was getting unfairly hammered for the Giroud goal last week as it was "only one mistake" ignoring the mistake he made for the Southampton goal and the fact he should have given away a penalty against Palace in the 2 previous games) but he was really good in the second half today, it was an important game and we weren't playing very well but we never looked like conceding and he was a big part of that so fair play to him and hopefully he can carry that on into the Europa League games.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its because one is newer, cost 80m and is captain

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Great to see my swedish bro doing so well for United. He matched Vardy’s speed very well today. I don’t know about you guys but I think Victor been one of the most consistent players this season along with Maguire and Martial.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
If we intend on continuing with playing out from the back then he will be key. He is excellent at bringing the ball forward.
100%. Everyone kept talking about our lack of ball playing CB’s. And when we got one they say he’s too slow. I don’t agree with that.

Kamprad

100%. Everyone kept talking about our lack of ball playing CB’s. And when we got one they say he’s too slow. I don’t agree with that.
The reality is that Maguire plays more ball than Lindelof.

Glorio

What has Lindelof excelled at this season? Tell me what you like about him and at least give me some vague idea about how we're both approaching this conversation. Something beyond emojis would be terrific.

Why, based on the last season, do you rate him so highly?
Weirdly pace, we don't get done from his side too often. He has good composure as well, oh and also carrying the ball forward and joining in attacks occasionally. He looks quite comfortable when he does that.

Kamprad

I often think think Maguire is often first to go forward because Victor has the pace/mobility to cover if possession gets turned over and Harry is out of position.
Maybe but Maguire also plays the long balls and the surging passes much more than Lindelof when their both in line. I don’t think Maguire is particularly good at that and my feeling is that Lindelof should take that responsibility more often but he doesnt. He keeps it simple as he always does.

Revan

Assumptionman
The thing I don't understand is why people think that he is a bad partner for Maguire, when that is total bullshit. They complement each other really well. Lindelof is okay but not great in the air and is not the strongest, two things that Maguire shines. Maguire has not good positioning and make mistakes, two things that Lindelof is quite good (his positioning is top-notch). Lindelof while not the fastest, can keep up with most strikers, which complements Maguire's slowness.

Neither of them has all the attributes, but as a partnership, they complement each other very well, and as importantly stay fit most of the time. Which is why we have conceded not many goals this season.

MattofManchester

He's been quite good imo. And decent with the ball too.

I don't think he's physically weak, personally. I think there's a hesitancy to apply himself physically. We've seen him boss a few physical contests in the past, so it seems to be a mental issue.
If he could get past it, he could be a very, very good defender.

A-man

Maybe but Maguire also plays the long balls and the surging passes much more than Lindelof when their both in line. I don’t think Maguire is particularly good at that and my feeling is that Lindelof should take that responsibility more often but he doesnt. He keeps it simple as he always does.
Both are comfortable with the ball and under pressure, but other than that they are good at different things Imo.
Maguire moves forward more often, but is too slow and Lindelof does it better and opens up more. Maguire hits good long balls down his flank. Lindelof is better at passing through the press. Both must pass the ball faster when they move around at the back. Lindelof has a better first touch.

Kamprad

Both are comfortable with the ball and under pressure, but other than that they are good at different things Imo.
Maguire moves forward more often, but is too slow and Lindelof does it better and opens up more. Maguire hits good long balls down his flank. Lindelof is better at passing through the press. Both must pass the ball faster when they move around at the back. Lindelof has a better first touch.
Lindelof is better at everything when it comes to ball at the feet. Passes, first touch, dribbling, you name it. Even though he’s far from world class. I don’t know why Maguire does everything. If it’s down to instructions from the manager then fine. He can’t be blamed. Could also be the opposition press that let Maguire do those things. But if it’s a mentality thing then maybe Lindelof is not cut to play at this club. He must start to take responsibility at some point and not just keep even things he’s better at simple.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

You don't think he is fast?

I've noticed much more in recent games he has been picking the ball up and driving into the opposing half, quite effectively too.
He isnt slow but no he isnt fast, certainly not fast enough to negate Maguires lack of pace by covering for him. He drives and runs into trouble or he drives and then passes the ball sideways or backwards and is out of position or he plays a through ball from the back with too much pace or lack of accuracy. Not saying he does this every time, there are times when he is successful but I totally cant see where people saying he is good on the ball comes from. Its one of the things he is better at, and by that I mean it is another of his arsenal of strengths that are absolutely bang average.

Too early to judge Maguire after a season but lets face it, we havent signed a top centre back that has been really good for us since Vidic and that is a long long time ago, our recruitment in that area has been poor for a long time but £150m on Maguire, Bailly and Lindelof is certainly not money well spent, we still have no partnership in the middle and it is something that needs to be addressed in the summer

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was his best game for Utd and my motm. But he ain’t good enough. He just isn’t

yan man utd

It was his best game for Utd and my motm. But he ain’t good enough. He just isn’t
I agree he looked good today but let’s not kid ourselves. I thought Matic was outstanding and covered for both the centre backs.

Fine, most players stepped up today especially the the back four - they had to, but it doesn’t mask the deficiencies shown across the season. Anyone who thinks mAguire and Lindelof is a partnership made in heaven or even one that can carry us to a sustained title challenge is kidding themselves.

Plus we have no back up in central defence. I’m not saying we sell Lindelof but he should be 3rd or 4th CB.

let’s make it crystal clear. A commanding CB doesn’t just win the ball and play it back to the goalkeeper or knock it out of play. He steps out and gets the ball before it reaches the striker, he mops up at the back and leaves the striker on the floor then brings it out of defence, is never done for pace, scares the opposition and wins it in the air without much effort- Rio, vidic, Johnsen, Stam and dare I say it Smalling (Who is a much better defender and far scarier to play against)

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Thought he was our best player against Leicester.

After all this time I still don't know what to think of him.

I suppose I reckon he's just.. decent. You'd have to go out and spend a lot wisely to replace him, it wouldn't be an easy thing to do. But I also feel like yeah maybe he should be replaced.

He's that annoying level between obviously good enough and questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.