Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It was a strange piece of defending by all the back 4.

We out numberered them 4 to 2, Williams was with their man crossing it, meaning he had to pick out 1 guy v 3.

Lindelof took a couple of looks at their sole attacker, and decided not to bother moving even remotely across, whereas Wan Bissaka was next to him, but oddly decided not to go goal side or even move when he saw the ball coming to him free in front of goal.

Just a real bizarre combo.

Oddly, it was in a game where I started thinking, Lindelof isn't too bad really.
But it's those big moments, doing the actual defending he will make many an error over the season.

I'm shocked he's 6ft 2. He probably heads at 5ft 9 ability.
He's 6'2 as much as Coulibaly is 6'5. It's just not true.

False reports.

Cabin Clown

He was the best of a lot consisting of Rojo, Bailly, Phill Jones and stuff. Hardly an achievement. The reality is Smalling was never the answer for United's defense problem in past years so treating him as the savior and solution now just doesn't make sense for me. If we want to upgrade on Lindelof, we'll need to buy someone new. Smalling had his chance and time at United. I'll like him as squad option on the bench but he's not going to be anything more than that at a team wanting to go forward.
You also have to remember that he had to partner these said defenders and as everyone knows if you have one great defender and one bad defender you have a bad defence regardless. He had one good defensive partner in his entire time at United - Blind. They were our best defensive partnership since Rio/Vida.

I'd at least like to see Smalling have a chance to partner with Maguire. I think their attributes would suit each other well.

Strelok

Actually I have and you're taught as a defender to be goal side of the attacker, always as much as possible. It was not a defensive recovery run by AWB.

So you're exposing space all the space in front of the goal by back pedealing or even worse turning your body and back to the ball just go get to De Jong? CFs make moves off the movement of CBs, that was a trademark of Chicharito.

You cover and rotate defensive lines. AWB is not in line with his CBs. He is not goal side of the defender. The ball and play was coming from the right side. Maguire and Lindelof shift to the right goal. AWB doesn't get goal side, doesn't mark his man which he is tracking into the box. AWB doesn't pass his man on, no way.

Lindelof was defending the cross, of which that, was deflected and took him out. Nothing he could do. That cross was very fortunate and went right to De Jong. AWB was static for too much of the play in addition to having horrible position building up before the pass, when the pass was made, and when the ball was in the air. AWB did not do anything to help his team, Lindelof, or defending.
7:03
He looked back the second time and he could see that AWB was wrongly positioned. AWB was behind the striker. He didn't need to turn his body back to move toward De Jong. He only needed to take one or two step back in this moment but he didn't do anything just keep standing there. If he moved he could be more likely to block De Jong if he tried to run behind his back, or cut off any cross that come in. He of course couldn't do either just stood there watching the whole thing.

I didn't say AWB was not at fault, him stopping to mark De Jong was stupid. But saying nothing Lindelof could do is just wrong. He saw AWB was behind De Jong. He could and should have done much better.

And I don't get your bold part. What De Jong would do if Lindelof moved toward him instead of just standing there doing nothing?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It is heading height....what are you talking about?
It wasn't if you see it again the ball is deflected off Williams and is in downward trajectory when it reaches Lindelof. Look at the height of the ball when it is near Sevilla player, he doesn't head it. If Lindelof goes for it, he has it at awkward height and there is a risk of own goal. For AWB it would have been volley height.

Strelok

It was a strange piece of defending by all the back 4.

We out numberered them 4 to 2, Williams was with their man crossing it, meaning he had to pick out 1 guy v 3.

Lindelof took a couple of looks at their sole attacker, and decided not to bother moving even remotely across, whereas Wan Bissaka was next to him, but oddly decided not to go goal side or even move when he saw the ball coming to him free in front of goal.

Just a real bizarre combo.

Oddly, it was in a game where I started thinking, Lindelof isn't too bad really.
But it's those big moments, doing the actual defending he will make many an error over the season.

I'm shocked he's 6ft 2. He probably heads at 5ft 9 ability.
This sums up pretty well what I felt watching the whole thing. So strange and weird. Like our defenders and keeper didn't exist at all.

Kostov

They are both as bad as each other and as good as each other
Except they aren’t.

Liverpool bought Joe Gomes for 3.5 million pounds and he is a better CB than Lindelof. Do we have to repeat how 40m was too fecking much for Lindelof? Nobody but ourselves to blame just like paying 80m for Maguire

arthurka

Are Barca and Ronald Koeman still interested in him? Hopefully they put a bid in to so call revitalise their defence
That would be nice we can then get Smalling in he is at least 3x the defender Lindelöf is

Offsideagain

Until they scored the second, I actually thought Lindelof had had a good game. I think it’s clear he doesn’t trust Williams as he’s always on at him. The cross was a lucky one but both Maguire and Lindelof were out of position. I also question why DeGea didn’t come for the cross but then he rarely does.

mu4c_20le

Except they aren’t.

Liverpool bought Joe Gomes for 3.5 million pounds and he is a better CB than Lindelof. Do we have to repeat how 40m was too fecking much for Lindelof? Nobody but ourselves to blame just like paying 80m for Maguire
I blame Jose too. Should've went for Ruben Dias, same shit with Dalot/Ricardo Pereira, from one of his former clubs no less.

edcunited1878

If it's not heading height, how does he score with his foot? Wtf.
People are implying Victor could have headed the ball to clear it but he was in no position to do so because of the deflection. The ball took him out. There was supposed to be another line of defense in the form of AWB but he didn't defend properly and was poorly out of position the entire build up.

edcunited1878

7:03
He looked back the second time and he could see that AWB was wrongly positioned. AWB was behind the striker. He didn't need to turn his body back to move toward De Jong. He only needed to take one or two step back in this moment but he didn't do anything just keep standing there. If he moved he could be more likely to block De Jong if he tried to run behind his back, or cut off any cross that come in. He of course couldn't do either just stood there watching the whole thing.

I didn't say AWB was not at fault, him stopping to mark De Jong was stupid. But saying nothing Lindelof could do is just wrong. He saw AWB was behind De Jong. He could and should have done much better.

And I don't get your bold part. What De Jong would do if Lindelof moved toward him instead of just standing there doing nothing?
De Jong moves according to the CB to make himself space. But De Jong keeps moving straight as the near post run and space below is angled off by Lindelof, who is committed to playing the pass and protecting the space. He's looked back to see where De Jong is and knows that AWB is besides him and within those seconds, AWB's prior position is compromised and punished. In those split seconds, if Lindelof commits too early for anything, he's exposing space...stand your ground and cover the space in front ready for delivery from wide. The ball comes and hes taken out via deflection. Cannot clear it, hes beat.

Lindelof isn't close to De Jong when the ball redirects and he's immediately taken out by the deflected cross. That is why the backside help is the backside help...you have to rotate over and provide cover. Get goalside of the man, be in line with your CBs

Strelok

De Jong moves according to the CB to make himself space. But De Jong keeps moving straight as the near post run and space below is angled off by Lindelof, who is committed to playing the pass and protecting the space. He's looked back to see where De Jong is and knows that AWB is besides him and within those seconds, AWB's prior position is compromised and punished. In those split seconds, if Lindelof commits too early for anything, he's exposing space...stand your ground and cover the space in front ready for delivery from wide. The ball comes and hes taken out via deflection. Cannot clear it, hes beat.

Lindelof isn't close to De Jong when the ball redirects and he's immediately taken out by the deflected cross. That is why the backside help is the backside help...you have to rotate over and provide cover. Get goalside of the man, be in line with your CBs
Rule #8

Deflected or not, to defend against crosses you must stay close to their attacker as much as possible. It's just simple as that. I had enough of this bs. Bye.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Until they scored the second, I actually thought Lindelof had had a good game. I think it’s clear he doesn’t trust Williams as he’s always on at him. The cross was a lucky one but both Maguire and Lindelof were out of position. I also question why DeGea didn’t come for the cross but then he rarely does.
Williams worries me immensely.
Super reckless, meaning he'll inevitably pick up an early booking meaning he's seriously got to watch himself the rest of the game.
Not great at positioning, and playing on his wrong foot, which unless you're a legend like Irwin just massively curtails the attacking.

When you have two right footers on the left, even more so.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Thought he did well but yeah, theres a big butt and I'm not talking about Shaw.

sport2793

People are implying Victor could have headed the ball to clear it but he was in no position to do so because of the deflection. The ball took him out. There was supposed to be another line of defense in the form of AWB but he didn't defend properly and was poorly out of position the entire build up.
Na Lindelof had already failed before the cross was even hit as he wasn't close to his man. That's basically defending 101. AWB can't be expected to close out the central striker as he has to make sure that no one sneaks behind him from the wing towards the far post. Lindelof consistently has poor positioning in these instances, another example being Chelsea's first goal in the FA cup semi. If United want to win trophies, Lindelof cannot be allowed to start big matches, which means a better CB needs to be brought in.

Don't forget the first goal either where Lindelof failed to prevent the cross from coming in (Williams being similarly at fault for the second).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Except they aren’t.

Again I rate them the same. Both have a mistake in them

edcunited1878

Rule #8

Deflected or not, to defend against crosses you must stay close to their attacker as much as possible. It's just simple as that. I had enough of this bs. Bye.
Which is AWB....AWB didn't have to defend space, it was his man to track and mark into the box. Lindelof is playing the ball and covering space! AWB is playing the man, knowing there's guys in front of him trying to play the ball!!!!!

edcunited1878

Na Lindelof had already failed before the cross was even hit as he wasn't close to his man. That's basically defending 101. AWB can't be expected to close out the central striker as he has to make sure that no one sneaks behind him from the wing towards the far post. Lindelof consistently has poor positioning in these instances, another example being Chelsea's first goal in the FA cup semi. If United want to win trophies, Lindelof cannot be allowed to start big matches, which means a better CB needs to be brought in.

Don't forget the first goal either where Lindelof failed to prevent the cross from coming in (Williams being similarly at fault for the second).
There's nobody in AWB's backside!!!!!!! There's a fecking player that goes right in front of him! He sees the player go in front of him!

Lindelof had great positioning the entire match yesterday and blocked and interecepted. DDG didn't have any shots to save may like 1 or 2, and it wasn't because all these crosses were coming in from poor positional play by Lindelof.

Don't forget the first goal where the cross comes in and Maguire doesn't cover the space in front of the near post or behind him from a pure cross. That was acres of space after a 1-2 from that right side

Foxbatt

Yes it's his fault. I am normally a supporter of him but he should never let it go.
But at the same time I blame DeGea too. He should be out collecting it.

Albin Johansson

There's nobody in AWB's backside!!!!!!! There's a fecking player that goes right in front of him! He sees the player go in front of him!

Lindelof had great positioning the entire match yesterday and blocked and interecepted. DDG didn't have any shots to save may like 1 or 2, and it wasn't because all these crosses were coming in from poor positional play by Lindelof.

Don't forget the first goal where the cross comes in and Maguire doesn't cover the space in front of the near post or behind him from a pure cross. That was acres of space after a 1-2 from that right side
I completely agree. People speaking "that's not his job" as if they were analysing a corporate CEO putting in a shift on a production line. What the feck is that? AWB should have covered that space at that time. He's a defender! And if he identifies a threat coming from behind (which wasn't the case here btw), then fecking communicate! Why is it so important for people to blame it on VNL? If AWB can't perform this stuff then what's the point of having him week in, week out? He didn't offer shit going forward.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I heard he's no good ? According to @SportingCP96
Lindelof was a far superior player to Ruben Dias when he was at Benfica.

If you guys are not fans of Lidnelof then stay away from Dias. He is not the guy to be the starting center back for a championship winning team.

thepolice123

This how you defend a whipped cross from Jesus Navas. This guy used to be a ball magnet in the box for us. Impeccable positioning.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This how you defend a whipped cross from Jesus Navas. This guy used to be a ball magnet in the box for us. Impeccable positioning.
But Maldini said if I make a tackle then I've already made a mistake. So many mistakes from Vidic in that video.

Now let's have a look at Maldini making a plethora of mistakes according to the quote attributed to him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You'll have to work through that logic for me. Remove DDGs individual mistakes that led to goals and it's the same as Pools. So is every defence in the league shit then? It's an inconvenient truth.
It's quite obvious that the quality of defenders have dropped across the whole in football as compared to the quality of attackers right now.

A-man

When it comes to this goal, I think there are many things for Ole to talk to his players about.
First, how can a handful of Sevilla players play around the ball like they were prime Xavi and Iniesta against a boys’team? No pressure whatsoever. How can Williams allow cross after cross? We also saw how much problem we have that flank when the winger and fullback overlap. Something must be done there.
Then Lindelof’s poor positioning. I think he made correct decision to protect between the player and the ball but did it in the wrong way.
Why is DDG so passive?
Why is AWB suddenly thinking about his laundry time instead of the game?

This goal is full of poor performances from more than half the team. Maybe we can even add Maguire there but I think he did the right thing as Williams was in big problem and there was a risk he would be dribbled.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When it comes to this goal, I think there are many things for Ole to talk to his players about.
First, how can a handful of Sevilla players play around the ball like they were prime Xavi and Iniesta against a boys’team? No pressure whatsoever. How can Williams allow cross after cross? We also saw how much problem we have that flank when the winger and fullback overlap. Something must be done there.
Then Lindelof’s poor positioning. I think he made correct decision to protect between the player and the ball but did it in the wrong way.
Why is DDG so passive?
Why is AWB suddenly thinking about his laundry time instead of the game?

This goal is full of poor performances from more than half the team. Maybe we can even add Maguire there but I think he did the right thing as Williams was in big problem and there was a risk he would be dribbled.
This is a fair post and I completely agree.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It wasn't if you see it again the ball is deflected off Williams and is in downward trajectory when it reaches Lindelof. Look at the height of the ball when it is near Sevilla player, he doesn't head it. If Lindelof goes for it, he has it at awkward height and there is a risk of own goal. For AWB it would have been volley height.
It's heading height, the ball does not fly above him, it passes in front of him because he chooses not to clear it and decelerates, He had time, ample time to dive in and put it other the bar. Any amateur can do that. There's two things you do not do as a centre back: let the ball bounce and let the ball move beyond you if you know someone's coming hot behind. It's not how top class defenders play.

It's really, really, really simple. There was no need for a covering run from the others.

Morpheus 7

Needs real competition and doesn't work with Maguire in my opinion. It's one or the other for me, need a starter to come in and let him fight for his place. He's got great attributes but is slow and needs to play with more risk. He doesn't take responsibility on the ball enough. He's always involved in poor goals. I looks Lindelof but needs more leadership. Bruno was right to have a go, too many comfortable in this team and need a kick up the arse. Lindelof is a fine squad player and could be a starter but not with Maguire long term. It comes back to the squad. Axel sand Bailly aren't reliable. Smalling wants to leave to play every week. Rojo and Jones are not in the conversation. Need a fit player that will compete and drive Maguire and Victor on. Can't make bad mistakes and play the following game, consequences and competition. You need to be at your best and can't make constant errors in the first team.

Denis79

Lindelof AND Wan-Bissaka are both culpable but a CB can never allow a ball he can easily clear to drop inside the box under the belief that someone else will deal with it.

Would any top CB ever allow such a ball to drop in for the tap in? No. You can't assume another player will deal with it.
Especially when there are no other opposing players in the box or close by. De Jong was all alone, one of the easier goals he'll ever score.

izec

You can't compare Vidic to Lindelöf. Lindelöf isn't even a quarter of the CB Vidic was, physically and mentally as well. He wouldn't even be in the match day squad under Sir Alex at that time.

People will make excuses for him on a daily basis, but the expectations are low, really low, and he can't even fulfill them.

Kostov

I blame Jose too. Should've went for Ruben Dias, same shit with Dalot/Ricardo Pereira, from one of his former clubs no less.
Forget Dias, the same summer we bought Lindelof, Leicester bought Maguire for less than 20m. Football experts on here claimed he is shit and useless just because he was from a relegated team (Robertson too). Skriniar also moved for some similar sum. Jose and whoever else made decisions just like now, chose to buy Lindelof for 40m. That's absolutely appalling bit of decision making. Those same masterminds went and bought Maguire for 80 fecking millions after 2 seasons. It's all you need to know about our recruitment and planning.

Again I rate them the same. Both have a mistake in them
That's your take and fair fecks. Both have a mistake in them, just like every other football player on this planet, what they bring to the team in between is also a very very important aspect.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
That's your take and fair fecks. Both have a mistake in them, just like every other football player on this planet, what they bring to the team in between is also a very very important aspect.
Yes quite obviously, one is better in the air and the other is better at reading, that's my take. Both have clear weaknesses and need a strong partner to play with.

Eli Zee

Correct. Poor, or at least poor-ish, reading of his man's movement.

Then again, this happens - sometimes it just...happens. If it never happened, the attacking side would never score.
agreed. How many times do we score and we say our offensive player made a great move, only to have an opponents offensive player make a great move and we say our defender sucks.
I'm not saying this is the case here - I think I've seen AWB switch off a little more often than I'd like in recent games.

Status
Not open for further replies.