Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickson

What do you want him to do, start making rash challenges like Bailly and Rojo or start punching opponents so that he can be seen. He is doing a solid job, no fuss, just does a solid job as a defender which is what top defenders do. He is not physically imposing , maybe that us why critics don't give him his dues. The best CB we have hands down.
I want him to stop attackers, but he mostly just lets them go or maybe follow them for a bit. This isn't about today, though. Just Lindelof in general. He is in a defence that let attackers do too much without imposing, maybe that's why he was in a team that let in 50 Premier League goals last season. Maybe he will be better with a Maguire type, but I don't really see what he does differently from Smalling other than his ball-playing skills are better. He's at the same level as Smalling IMO, and I don't think he will be good enough long term.

AshRK

I want him to stop attackers, but he mostly just lets them go or maybe follow them for a bit. This isn't about today, though. Just Lindelof in general. He is in a defence that let attackers do too much without imposing, maybe that's why he was in a team that let in 50 Premier League goals last season. Maybe he will be better with a Maguire type, but I don't really see what he does differently from Smalling other than his ball-playing skills are better. He's at the same level as Smalling IMO, and I don't think he will be good enough long term.
Only time can tell. I don't want to bash your opinion as we all are entitled to have one but Smalling has been in this club for ages and has not shown much progress. Again, he is not bad but for a guy who has been a regular for almost 10 years , he should have been a leader by now. Lindelof has only been at this club for 2 years and he is already showing progression. Looks much more composed on the ball and does not make rash challenges. One area he can improve is maybe dominate by winning headers but then again I have seen him do that too when he was playing for Sweden in WC. Maybe there is a reason Barca are after Lindelof and not Smalling or Jones.

Mickson

Only time can tell. I don't want to bash your opinion as we all are entitled to have one but Smalling has been in this club for ages and has not shown much progress. Again, he is not bad but for a guy who has been a regular for almost 10 years , he should have been a leader by now. Lindelof has only been at this club for 2 years and he is already showing progression. Looks much more composed on the ball and does not make rash challenges. One area he can improve is maybe dominate by winning headers but then again I have seen him do that too when he was playing for Sweden in WC. Maybe there is a reason Barca are after Lindelof and not Smalling or Jones.
I agree about Smalling and his progress. I just think that they are level now, but that can of course change. I'm not arguing that Smalling and Jones have the ability to make them better than Lindelof. In Sweden, he mainly sits back. Now he's going to stand tall and therefore have to be stronger. His heading is a worry that's why he can't play with Tuanzebe.

padzilla

Hipster
If we sell Lindelof after buying Maguire we are back to square one.

Hawks2008

What do you want him to do, start making rash challenges like Bailly and Rojo or start punching opponents so that he can be seen. He is doing a solid job, no fuss, just does a solid job as a defender which is what top defenders do. He is not physically imposing , maybe that us why critics don't give him his dues. The best CB we have hands down.
Yeah this is pretty much it, some people just get caught up in the 'action' part of defending. They see a guy clatter someone or a big booming header and think that's what a great defender is. Not that Lindelof is without flaw but for the most part he is composed and reads the play well and I'm glad that he doesn't really rush into it. I'd much prefer Lindelof to any of our other CB options and if Maguire does come then his physical and aerial presence will complement him, and having 2 CB's who are comfortable and competent on the ball will massively help the team.

Mickson

Yeah this is pretty much it, some people just get caught up in the 'action' part of defending. They see a guy clatter someone or a big booming header and think that's what a great defender is. Not that Lindelof is without flaw but for the most part he is composed and reads the play well and I'm glad that he doesn't really rush into it. I'd much prefer Lindelof to any of our other CB options and if Maguire does come then his physical and aerial presence will complement him, and having 2 CB's who are comfortable and competent on the ball will massively help the team.
That's not what I'm thinking. At all. You can be a laid back defender like Rio Ferdinand and still be great. But that's not what Lindelof is, right? You actually have to do something if the team is leaking goals. I have not seen much that suggests that Lindelof is the real deal, have you? And if, I'm curious what you have seen that is so great.

AshRK

That's not what I'm thinking. At all. You can be a laid back defender like Rio Ferdinand and still be great. But that's not what Lindelof is, right? You actually have to do something if the team is leaking goals. I have not seen much that suggests that Lindelof is the real deal, have you? And if, I'm curious what you have seen that is so great.
How many of the goals we conceded were his faults. One defender cannot fix everything. This is why many are saying pair him with Maguire or any other top defender he will automatically look even better.

Ferdinand didn't become great until he started playing alongside Vidic. Before that he was an exceptionally talented defender prone to mistakes. Nobody can be a one man defence.

KW2006

Won't surprise me if Barcelona really wanted him. And if he continue to progress this year, expect Real Madrid to come for him next summer.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Feels good to have Barcelona looking at one of our CBs again

edcunited1878

Ferdinand didn't become great until he started playing alongside Vidic. Before that he was an exceptionally talented defender prone to mistakes. Nobody can be a one man defence.
Rio was already a top talent at West Ham, then improved at Leeds, then became world class at United. Vidic didn't become world class until he started playing along side Rio as well, let's not forget.

All defenders will have a mistake in them, it's just part of the game for any player. However one player never makes a defense that much is true. In modern football, the way a team hold its defensive shape and defends as a team is more influential than just having colossal CBs (like previous decades). Remember, Leicester won with Morgan and Huth as CBs, but had a Kante and Drinkwater in front of them while playing a lower block, counter attack system which suited them extremely well. Liverpool improved with Allison and VVD and has a trio of central midfielders who are high in energy, restrict passing space and time on the ball.

jesperjaap

I agree with you. I actually think purely as a defender, Smallling is actualoly pretty good and much better than Lindelof, he is just a liability with the ball unliek Lindelof who is a really average defender and decent but nothing special on the ball.

Also think Lindelof and Maguire is a really bad partnership, would rather Maguire partnered with almost any of our other centre backs not because I dont like Lindelof, which I dont, I just think he is actually very similar to Maguire minus the physical ability, just not as good and that they would get caught out a lot with balls and run between the centre back and full backs

haram

Was really hoping he fecking lashed it after that run.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was good today. Felt he was clearly our third best player in the starting team (behind AWB and Pogba obviously).

I'm still a little worried about the lack of pace in a Lindelof-Maguire combo (if we do end up signing him), but otherwise he's establishing himself as clearly our first choice.

Untd55

Honestly, I am not sure why this guy is rated so highly. I like him and he is good, but some people seem to talk about him like he is far better.

Particularly, his passing seems to be overstated. Yes, he is better than the rest of our defenders, but he does seem to misplace a lot of long balls when he tries them.

Also, he is not our best defender. That would be Smalling, regardless of him being crap at everything else.

I think Jones is a bit better also, but he is injured 50% of the time so it is pretty irrelevant.

However, Lindelof is certainly better than Bailey and Rojo (two other hospital cases).

Last edited:

mewnew11

If we get Maguire, i think the whole team will move a 10-15 yards forward. we would not need the midfielder dropping in between defence to collect the ball to pass it forward. Both Lindeloff and Maguire are just beautiful in bringing the ball out and find the forward players.

Lindeloff was excellent today. I am sure his best is yet to come.

AshRK

He seriously needs a consistent partner in defense and he is set to dominate. I feel it is unfair on him to keep changing his position from LCB to RCB to accommodate Jones or Smalling.

Bobski

Fascinating how Lindelof is now perceived. I am still in the camp of thinking he is unproven and should not yet be considered a guaranteed starter, that this season is huge for him. We had an historically awful defensive performance last year but his reputation came out enhanced.

The pressure will be on him this year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Fascinating how Lindelof is now perceived. I am still in the camp of thinking he is unproven and should not yet be considered a guaranteed starter, that this season is huge for him. We had an historically awful defensive performance last year but his reputation came out enhanced.

It came out enhanced because, despite being surrounded by the calamity crew, he was putting consistently good performance, rarely making an error.

His obvious weakness is his aerial ability, which can now be mitigated by Maguire. They’ll compliment one another nicely.

Red_toad

It came out enhanced because, despite being surrounded by the calamity crew, he was putting consistently good performance, rarely making an error.

His obvious weakness is his aerial ability, which can now be mitigated by Maguire. They’ll compliment one another nicely.
To be honest Maguire could do with pace to compliment him. Tuanzebe is probably the better option going forward.

Kostov

I agree and feel the same actually, but in the same time I think playing alongside Maguire might bring his game up a level also. Let's see.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
To be honest Maguire could do with pace to compliment him. Tuanzebe is probably the better option going forward.
Lindelof is a lot quicker than people give him credit for, and on his right he has one of the most explosive fullbacks in the game. Pace won't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.