Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Fascinating how Lindelof is now perceived. I am still in the camp of thinking he is unproven and should not yet be considered a guaranteed starter, that this season is huge for him. We had an historically awful defensive performance last year but his reputation came out enhanced.

The pressure will be on him this year.
Its the "Not Smalling or Jones" effect. Basically if you are a CB and have an okay game and you are not Smalling or Jones, you will be heralded as a top class CB.

Bailly had the same in his first season but he also played better that season than Lindelof did last season.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Its the "Not Smalling or Jones" effect. Basically if you are a CB and have an okay game and you are not Smalling or Jones, you will be heralded as a top class CB.

Bailly had the same in his first season but he also played better that season than Lindelof did last season.
That's down to Smalling and Jones underwhelming for so long though. We're pretty desperate for a new hope - Bailly and Lindelof, being newer players, are praised in the hope that a good performance will be the start of a long run, displacing players who haven't stepped up to the standard of the central defenders we've been used to, such as Ferdinand, Vidic or Stam. It's why Rojo doesn't get that level of praise (that, and his general lack of good performances anyway).

Ekeke

That's down to Smalling and Jones underwhelming for so long though. We're pretty desperate for a new hope - Bailly and Lindelof, being newer players, are praised in the hope that a good performance will be the start of a long run, displacing players who haven't stepped up to the standard of the central defenders we've been used to, such as Ferdinand, Vidic or Stam. It's why Rojo doesn't get that level of praise (that, and his general lack of good performances anyway).
Smalling was very solid the season before last. So thats clearly nonsense

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes and no. Bailly had higher highs, but he also had lower lows. Even in his first season Bailly was all over the place. Started the season extremely well of course, then his form dropped off, picked up an injury, went to the ACON, came back from that in absolutely horrific form, had another one month or so of good form then got injured again if I recall correctly.

Ekeke

Yes and no. Bailly had higher highs, but he also had lower lows. Even in his first season Bailly was all over the place. Started the season extremely well of course, then his form dropped off, picked up an injury, went to the ACON, came back from that in absolutely horrific form, had another one month or so of good form then got injured again if I recall correctly.
Sounds a lot like Lindelof who was poor, had 15 mostly good games and then dropped his form again

Ekeke

You really are on a mission to discredit any CB that isn't named Smalling.
No I just watch the defense closely. Smalling wasnt at his best either, unlike the previous season. Lindelof when you evaluate the entire season, was good for a small amount

ChaddyP

Wouldn't sell him for £70m if someone offered.
Thought the same. Think he's a gem. Would give him a new contract if he has a good season. Barca seem to be sniffing around. Cant blame them. He is a more physically imposing Athletic version of Blind

reddev3

The main reason I wanted us to key Koulibaily or Mguire this window was so Lindelof would move back to the right, I thought he was amazing when Ole first came in until Smalling came back and he was then shunted back to the left.

I think we have the best defensive back 4 and keeper next year. I'm not saying we have the best defence as someone like Liverpool's attacking prowess far out weighs ours and easily compensates or even that we will concede less goals than anyone else as teams don't even get near the goal against teams like City and Liverpool due to midfield cover and the press + possession. BUT if we are talking purely defensive drills, I think we have the best back five for keeping goals out.

MadDogg

Sounds a lot like Lindelof who was poor, had 15 mostly good games and then dropped his form again
I'd say Lindelof was fairly decent all season. One small period of three games where he was very good in the first half of the season (Juventus, Everton and Bournemouth), and then quite good for most of the second half of the season. Even outside of those periods he was at least decent, rather than actually poor like what Bailly had been.

He was finally "very solid" in his eighth season at the club, and you wonder why people are frustrated with him?
Smalling has been solid for the majority of the last five years. His best season (which is still by far the best season any of our defenders have had since Rio and Vidic came to an end) came under LVG. Last season was arguably his worst and he was still comfortably better than any of our other defenders other than Lindelof (and they were about the same level).

AFC NimbleThumb

Really not getting the overwhelming optimism around this guy.

A talented player who can look very impressive but ridiculously fragile mentally.

A strong shoulder barge or a decent run past him & his head is gone; despite the new signings he & Shaw have a lot to prove imo.

Really not getting the overwhelming optimism around this guy.

A talented player who can look very impressive but ridiculously fragile mentally.

A strong shoulder barge or a decent run past him & his head is gone; despite the new signings he & Shaw have a lot to prove imo.
I agree, I’m not 100% sold on him yet.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Still not good enough. He did well to come back, but he still lacks that little extra. Too scared of aerial balls.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Are people really blaming him for the second? First one is all on Static. Will form a very solid partnership with Maguire.

el3mel

The second goal can literally happen to any defender. No problem for me.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm only gonna say, very happy with Maguire arriving.

Some aspects are good, but still on the learning curve to be complete PL defender.

Bobski

He has done very little to gain this level of admiration and trust from the fans. I just don't see it. Loses far too many physical challenges, be it aerially, battles of strength or in a footrace, generally far too passive in his overall defending and his much talked about ability on the ball rarely manifests itself when it actually matters.

Rotten performance, Smalling, Jones or Rojo would be slated endlessly for it.

Based Adnan

Imagine blaming him for the 2nd goal. It wasn't even his man who won the header and he wasn't near it either. As for the first one it was clearly on Matic. People just looking for excuses.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's just average all round with no outstanding attribute apart from his ability to stay fit compared to the others.

If we're casting Smalling aside (mistake in my opinion) then i'd rather see Tuanzebe get a chance to prove himself alongside Maguire.

JustAGuest

Imagine blaming him for the 2nd goal. It wasn't even his man who won the header and he wasn't near it either. As for the first one it was clearly on Matic. People just looking for excuses.
Thankfully the manager doesn't see all these errors people here are digging out. He is as certain as it gets to be first choice alongside Maguire this season.

mu4c_20le

The knives are out after one average game. :houllier:
I think the problem is that the knives were always out for the likes of Smalling and Jones 24/7, its about time the Lindelof expectations got dialled back down a bit.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Last season when his form improved I thought the hype was way over the top. He's not a poor defender by any means. He's actually pretty steady. But he's nowhere near the levels that some posters on here claim he is.

Don't think he will even be first choice for us the season after this. He's got way too many limitations to his game and now we have Slabhead we need a CB with more pace.

Smalling might even be a better partner for Maguire as he's got a recovery in him. Tuanzebe long term we got to hope is the gem we need.

Eric Edwards

The main reason I wanted us to key Koulibaily or Mguire this window was so Lindelof would move back to the right, I thought he was amazing when Ole first came in until Smalling came back and he was then shunted back to the left.

I think we have the best defensive back 4 and keeper next year. I'm not saying we have the best defence as someone like Liverpool's attacking prowess far out weighs ours and easily compensates or even that we will concede less goals than anyone else as teams don't even get near the goal against teams like City and Liverpool due to midfield cover and the press + possession. BUT if we are talking purely defensive drills, I think we have the best back five for keeping goals out.
Agree 100%. It’s not enough to guarantee success but should be a very solid foundation for the team. For the first time in a long time.

DoomSlayer

I think the problem is that the knives were always out for the likes of Smalling and Jones 24/7, its about time the Lindelof expectations got dialled back down a bit.
This is his 3rd season for fecks sake, let's see how he does next to Maguire first. The players you mentioned have had almost 10 years to impress and showed plenty of times that cannot be relied if we want to be a top team again.

El Jefe

Ekeke and the rest of the Smalling disciples might be right. Smalling might end up in the starting lineup at this rate because Lindelof has been very mediocre during preseason especially defensively.

IrishRedDevil

Silly suggestion time:

Could Tuanzebe play alongside Maguire, with Lindelof as the defensive midfielder...

I am sitting here thinking of any random way to get Matic out of the team. Help.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We’ve always known he’s poor in the air. Look at all the games he’s been rated the absolute highest. All of them are against top opposition. He excels with the ball on the floor. Maguire will fill in the gaps for him.

He’s immaculate in his positioning and reading of the game with the ball on the floor.

MadDogg

I think people are being a bit harsh on him. Today was probably his worst match in the last 12 months, and he's been quite good this pre-season up until now.

It was actually noticeable that he improved significantly in the air over the course of last season. He's obviously never going to be a beast in the air, but before today he did seem to improve to the level needed where he's no longer a weakness in that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.